News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-86 Current Progress

Started by vdeane, November 20, 2010, 12:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snappyjack

Quote from: HighwayMaster on June 10, 2011, 07:27:53 PM
Wikipedia says that a 3rd section exists near Middletown. Between what exits is this?

While I can't verify the accuracy of the Wikipedia article, I can say that when NYSDOT reconstructed 17 between the Sullivan/Orange County line and I-84 in Middletown last year, they had erected I-86/NY 17 shields along that stretch. However, the 86 shields have since been covered up and it has not been approved officially as a third addition to the highway.

vdeane

I imagine it will next year when it can be submitted for apporval.  There's also a stretch between Roscoe and Liberty that has I-86 shields where it looks like the DOT sanded the paint off rather than covering them up.  Apparently this section still can't be designated (even once the Parksville project is completed), but there are no projects mentioned on the DOT site (other than the Neversink bridge) that aren't underway now.  Certainly nothing to explain why the section near Wurtsboro can't be added.

Either I-86 there is undersigned, or it's not going to be signed for a very, very long time.  The DOT site lists all projects until around 2024 or so.  Some I can't even get scheduling information on because all projects for the I-86 upgrade link to the I-86 page but the I-86 page doesn't have a section for all of the projects, so if you want to know when the acceleration/deceleration lane lengthening in Tioga County of the Neversink River bridge replacement are going to happen, forget it.

For reference, here's all the ones I can remember off the top of my head:
-At-grade intersection removal/reconstruction, Elmira to Chemung (under construction, finish 2012)
-Acceleration/deceleration lane lengthening, Tioga County (unknown)
-Kamikaze Curve (~2013-2015 or 2017)
-Binghamton area signing (~2015 or 2017)
-At-grade intersection removal/reconstruction, Hale Eddy (2014-2017)
-At-grade intersection removal/reconstruction, Parksville (under construction, finish 2012)
-Exit 106 reconstruction (under construction, should have been finished last year)
-Neversink River bridge replacement (unknown)
-Exit 122 reconstruction (under construction according to DOT site, finish 2012 or 2013)
-Exit 131 reconstruction (don't remember, but it's not until around 2017 or beyond)
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

NJRoadfan

So much for it being done in 2012 (original estimate in 2000).  :-D Typical New York, but at least it'll be done before the 2nd Avenue Subway.

vdeane

Someone at the New Haven meet said their was a rules change on I-86; apparently a Bush appointee decided that it had to meet interstate standards rather than just remove the at-grade intersections and get grandfathered in (which explains things like bridges with practically no shoulders on I-86 near Campbell but the Neversink bridge needing replacement).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

empirestate

Here's the current state of things...

The Parksville bypass is up and running in both directions. When I last went through in August it wasn't yet connected to old 17, nor quite fully paved. I know Slater got some video of half of it a month or two later... As of now, blue services signs are posted but all of the logos are blank, which looks sad for Parksville but in reality they're probably just not purchased yet.

Google Maps wins the prize for attempting to show the bypass (needs work though). No other site I've seen does this, not even Open Street Map for some reason.

There are I-86 blanks posted in Orange County from I-84 to the Sullivan line (dual assemblies with NY 17 shields) and in Sullivan County from the Parksville bypass to the Delaware line (standalone I-shields with NY 17 on separate posts).

In Chemung County, reconstruction appears complete (it was night) from Elmira to Lowman. As of August all traffic was sharing the new EB lanes. East of Lowman, there's evidence of recent carriageway shifts but both sides are open at the moment. Couldn't make out any sign of the new Reeds Crossing interchange, but as I say it was dark out...

And an aside, on I-390 in Steuben County there is new exit signage along with both overpass and underpass names. You sure do cross the Cohocton River an awful lot!

NE2

Quote from: empirestate on December 23, 2011, 12:05:12 PM
Google Maps wins the prize for attempting to show the bypass (needs work though). No other site I've seen does this, not even Open Street Map for some reason.
I just did what I could from 2010 NAIP aerials, but it needs work: http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=41.8599&lon=-74.77403&zoom=15&layers=M
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

vdeane

The Reed's Crossing interchange is going well, though right now it's just a bridge and dirt:

empirestate

Quote from: NE2 on December 23, 2011, 12:42:25 PM
I just did what I could from 2010 NAIP aerials, but it needs work: http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=41.8599&lon=-74.77403&zoom=15&layers=M
I've fixed it up and added the interchange...I'm not positive from the NYSDOT drawings where some of the new dead-ends actually are though.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: empirestate on December 27, 2011, 02:49:29 PM
Quote from: NE2 on December 23, 2011, 12:42:25 PM
I've fixed it up and added the interchange...I'm not positive from the NYSDOT drawings where some of the new dead-ends actually are though.

Just curious, but what's your ID in OSM?  You should post it in the OSM thread. ;)

empirestate

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on December 27, 2011, 08:28:04 PM
Just curious, but what's your ID in OSM?  You should post it in the OSM thread. ;)

NateOMatic. I've just started messing with it. :-)

Alps

Speaking of OSM, I see how Old Route 17 goes through the area. Can anyone point me to an aerial that's been updated recently enough to sort of see what's going on? Google is still pre-construction.

NE2

Mapquest has 2010 NAIP imagery, which shows some clearing but no more: http://mapq.st/x8dkgd

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

To clarify, my main concern is the connectivity coming from the east on original 17 and heading out west on original 17. Is old 17 still four lanes, or down to two? Have any dead ends been reconnected - OSM seems to show that they haven't. Wondering about the details of how original 17 ties into old 17. {Old = expressway, original = 2 lane}

empirestate

Quote from: NE2 on January 25, 2012, 07:54:38 PM
Mapquest has 2010 NAIP imagery, which shows some clearing but no more: http://mapq.st/x8dkgd

NYSGIS has 2010 imagery for Sullivan County, a little newer than NAIP but still mid-construction. But you can clearly see the right-of-way.

http://www.orthos.dhses.ny.gov/

Quote from: Upside down frog in a triangle on January 25, 2012, 07:58:50 PM
To clarify, my main concern is the connectivity coming from the east on original 17 and heading out west on original 17. Is old 17 still four lanes, or down to two? Have any dead ends been reconnected - OSM seems to show that they haven't. Wondering about the details of how original 17 ties into old 17. {Old = expressway, original = 2 lane}

Well then you want this: (PDF, 8.6 MB) https://www.dot.ny.gov/regional-offices/region9/projects/route-17-parksville/repository/906674_feis_13_app_b.pdf

That was my primary source for the OSM update, although it is a little inconclusive about some of the dead-ends, but it does show how old NY 17 has been un-dualized.

Alps

Quote from: empirestate on January 25, 2012, 07:59:11 PM
That was my primary source for the OSM update, although it is a little inconclusive about some of the dead-ends, but it does show how old NY 17 has been un-dualized.

The one I was primarily concerned with - it does look like Main St. (starting from the east) will indeed dead end rather than reconnect to the two-lane road. It also may no longer be possible, though inconclusive, to get to the abandoned concrete to the west side of the project (and a bit north) that's original NY 17 coming off of the two-lane. Taylor Dr. (or whatever it may actually be) looks doable between those two. I guess I'll have to report back.

NE2

Also note that it's possible that plans changed after the FEIS.

empirestate

It is possible, but from the early imagery and field reports it seems like a close match. I'll actually be going through there next weekend, in daylight this time, so I'll poke around some more.

Henry

Quote from: Snappyjack on August 08, 2011, 03:29:04 PM
Quote from: HighwayMaster on June 10, 2011, 07:27:53 PM
Wikipedia says that a 3rd section exists near Middletown. Between what exits is this?

While I can't verify the accuracy of the Wikipedia article, I can say that when NYSDOT reconstructed 17 between the Sullivan/Orange County line and I-84 in Middletown last year, they had erected I-86/NY 17 shields along that stretch. However, the 86 shields have since been covered up and it has not been approved officially as a third addition to the highway.
Quote from: deanej on August 09, 2011, 02:37:43 PM
I imagine it will next year when it can be submitted for apporval.  There's also a stretch between Roscoe and Liberty that has I-86 shields where it looks like the DOT sanded the paint off rather than covering them up.  Apparently this section still can't be designated (even once the Parksville project is completed), but there are no projects mentioned on the DOT site (other than the Neversink bridge) that aren't underway now.  Certainly nothing to explain why the section near Wurtsboro can't be added.

Either I-86 there is undersigned, or it's not going to be signed for a very, very long time.  The DOT site lists all projects until around 2024 or so.  Some I can't even get scheduling information on because all projects for the I-86 upgrade link to the I-86 page but the I-86 page doesn't have a section for all of the projects, so if you want to know when the acceleration/deceleration lane lengthening in Tioga County of the Neversink River bridge replacement are going to happen, forget it.

For reference, here's all the ones I can remember off the top of my head:
-At-grade intersection removal/reconstruction, Elmira to Chemung (under construction, finish 2012)
-Acceleration/deceleration lane lengthening, Tioga County (unknown)
-Kamikaze Curve (~2013-2015 or 2017)
-Binghamton area signing (~2015 or 2017)
-At-grade intersection removal/reconstruction, Hale Eddy (2014-2017)
-At-grade intersection removal/reconstruction, Parksville (under construction, finish 2012)
-Exit 106 reconstruction (under construction, should have been finished last year)
-Neversink River bridge replacement (unknown)
-Exit 122 reconstruction (under construction according to DOT site, finish 2012 or 2013)
-Exit 131 reconstruction (don't remember, but it's not until around 2017 or beyond)

I'm assuming that the reason these signs are covered up/altered is because the road will not become I-86 until it is fully completed to the Thruway.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

vdeane

Then explain the covered up "End I-86 signs" on either end of that section.  Also, why would the rest of the quickway wait until it's completed to the Thruway?  Sections that are done should be signed I-86.

EDIT:

This is at I-84 heading east.  There's another one just like it heading west at NY 17K.

NJRoadfan

I would have thought the Quickway from I-84 to the Thurway would have been signed I-86 much sooner then the rest of the highway seeing that its pretty much interstate standard after all that reconstruction through the years. Too bad they didn't widen it to 3 lanes in each direction while they were at it, that section of 17 gets PACKED through Orange County.

vdeane

Exit 122 (just east of I-84) needs to be rebuilt.  Apparently exit 131 (NY 17 intersecting NY 17 and NY 32) does as well, though I'm not sure why.  Exit 122 was supposed to be done by now and got delayed; exit 131 isn't slated to be done until after the Hale Eddy and Neversink River projects are done (I don't know of any more on the quickway, though something must be causing a hang up near Wurtsboro, though that could be regions 8 and 9 not agreeing on signage).

empirestate

Quote from: Steve on January 25, 2012, 08:16:35 PM
The one I was primarily concerned with - it does look like Main St. (starting from the east) will indeed dead end rather than reconnect to the two-lane road. It also may no longer be possible, though inconclusive, to get to the abandoned concrete to the west side of the project (and a bit north) that's original NY 17 coming off of the two-lane. Taylor Dr. (or whatever it may actually be) looks doable between those two. I guess I'll have to report back.

So here's what I've found as of now: Liberty Highway (the old Quickway/NY 17) is now two lanes, using the former westbound roadway, except for a stretch between "original" NY 17 and east of Taylor Road, where it's shunted onto the former eastbound roadway. The abandoned concrete of original NY 17 no longer connects to Liberty Highway at the west end of the project, but you can easily walk across a patch of grass to get to it.

Taylor Road comes into the old westbound lanes, and has to use a stretch of them to connect with the currently open eastbound lanes opposite Memories' driveway.

It doesn't look like they've touched the now cut-off section of O'Keefe Hill Road, but it's still there; it just ends abruptly at the new NY 17 ROW line (where, interestingly, they've posted "No Pedestrians or Bicycles" signs such as you'd usually find at entrance ramps).

I've revised OSM to show the current conditions.

Main Street still connects to Liberty Highway at both ends of the project. In fact, on the east end it's currently the detour for the new alignments of Liberty Highway and Parksville Road, which aren't yet open east of Cooley Road (the old Exit 98 traffic signal).

Duke87

What remains of the road through Parksville:

Maybe the fact that it was 8 AM Saturday morning contributed, but without the freeway cutting through that place is freaking dead.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Alps

Thank you both for the feedback!

empirestate

Quote from: Duke87 on February 04, 2012, 10:10:46 PM
Maybe the fact that it was 8 AM Saturday morning contributed, but without the freeway cutting through that place is freaking dead.

It's been dead for a while. Actually, given all of the concern for keeping the hamlet's vitality and how it affected the bypass routing, it's interesting to note that whatever businesses would have been saved by those decisions are now pretty well closed and gone. Indeed, many of them were that way well before construction even began, save for those located directly along (old) NY 17.

But at least, if the hamlet ever does revitalize, at least it still exists.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.