News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Free Rides on the GSP

Started by Mr. Matté, November 20, 2010, 09:05:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Matté

Out of boredom, I looked up where you can get free rides on the Garden State Parkway and compiled it into this diagram:
(Click for full size)
Green- No tolls
Red- Will eventually pay toll
Bold Red- Ramp toll booth
Black- Already paid toll, no new tolls

One question I have for those in the Barnegat Twp. area: For the new Exit 67 ramps (CR 554), are there any types of invisible toll booths? Looking at new imagery of the location, I don't see any physical signs of booths which is weird since it's just south of an existing barrier toll.

NE2

According to Wikipedia: "Exit 67 received a newly constructed southbound entrance ramp, and a northbound exit ramp. On March 27, 2008, it was revealed that the new ramps would not have toll gates. Construction began in the summer of 2008 and opened on May 20, 2009."

So essentially with the one-way tolling if you go from A to B and then return B to A you pay the same as you did previously. But if you take a different route in each direction you can drive a long distance without paying. Strange.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

NJRoadfan

The locals know all the secrets, and its even easier to avoid paying tolls with the one way plazas then it used to. Keep in mind that 129-140, 80-83, and the traffic light section are all free because they pre-date the tolls. The oddest toll zone is between Tom's River and Asbury. Going south, the price is the same if you exit from 98 down to 88. Exit 100A/B/C has always been toll-free, even for traffic getting on southbound, so you saved 35 cents before Asbury went one way northbound. There is a 7 mile gap between exits, then a 6 mile gap between Exit 88 and the Tom's River toll plaza, which throws things off.

Alps

Now that the Hillsdale/Pascack Valley plaza went one-way SB, there's a very nice free ride northward from I-80 by simply taking NJ 17 instead of the Parkway.  Save a dollar, sit in some traffic, oh well.  The "old" bi-directional E-ZPass gantry is still up in the median, and I don't know what the ultimate plans are for removal.  Quite a waste of money, no?  You do have a couple of inconsistencies in the exit number chart (for example, I-80 is Exit 159, not 158), but otherwise nice job.

NJRoadfan

Now if only they added some ramps to those northern interchanges, the only legal way to exit southbound/enter northbound up there is the Montvale Service Plaza.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.