News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Themed street names

Started by hm insulators, December 08, 2010, 12:20:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twinsfan87

I'm working on a project for Mn/DOT in the small town of Cosmos, MN where the streets are named after constellations, planets, and other space-related things. Apparently they also have a water tower in the shape of a rocket (though I haven't personally seen it)!

JustDrive

Fresno, CA has a section near downtown named after the California counties.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

agentsteel53

Quote from: NE2 on March 20, 2013, 03:47:02 AM
This one's cool but flawed: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=28.602712,-81.437032&spn=0.004295,0.008256&gl=us&t=m&z=18
What idiot put Haiti south of the equator?

more terrible: none of the routes named "circle" are actually circles, and three out of four change names just for crossing the equator.  terrible design. 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 20, 2013, 09:16:52 AM
none of the routes named "circle" are actually circles
They're circles with sticks, and all the driveways are on the circular parts.

Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 20, 2013, 09:16:52 AM
three out of four change names just for crossing the equator
All four do (Bermuda Circle is across from Easter). I think you missed what I was saying - all the islands are in the correct place WRT the equator except Haiti.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

agentsteel53

Quote from: NE2 on March 20, 2013, 09:54:26 AM

aka a dead-end with a cul-de-sac.  I don't suppose "Lollipop" is a standard road name suffix?  they should probably be "Court", which seems to be a fairly standard way of referring to a small dead-end street.

QuoteAll four do (Bermuda Circle is across from Easter). I think you missed what I was saying - all the islands are in the correct place WRT the equator except Haiti.

oh, I got that.  I was just noting that, from the perspective of making addresses easy to find, this entire thing was a failure.  even if we replaced Haiti with Pitcairn Island we'd be navigationally boned.

I think they probably meant Tahiti but had a complete brain fart.

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 20, 2013, 10:00:55 AM
Quote from: NE2 on March 20, 2013, 09:54:26 AM

aka a dead-end with a cul-de-sac.  I don't suppose "Lollipop" is a standard road name suffix?  they should probably be "Court", which seems to be a fairly standard way of referring to a small dead-end street.
The cul-de-sac has a huge circular island in the middle, large enough that the distance around the circle is longer than the rest of the street.

JMoses24

english si

Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 20, 2013, 10:00:55 AMoh, I got that.  I was just noting that, from the perspective of making addresses easy to find, this entire thing was a failure.  even if we replaced Haiti with Pitcairn Island we'd be navigationally boned.
Surely it makes them easier to find an address? I arrive on Equator Road, heading for an address on Borneo Close. After passing Papua and Sulawesi (Sumatra being the 4th one at the end of Equator Road - added bonus of correct E-W order!), I see that Borneo is in both directions - which way do I go: left or right?

Of course, you can put what numbers are on which side on the sign, but far quicker to read and process would be if each of the 8 little closes/courts/circles had different names. Sure, if we're talking about through routes, then a random name change will be annoying, but these are cul-de-sacs and having the same name for opposite cul-de-sacs is just unnecessarily complicating matters.

theline

Now that this topic has been fully necroed: a neighborhood in Mishawaka, IN that was built after World War II is filled with names of WWII locales: Leyte, Bastogne, Palau, Normandy, etc. I suppose the builder felt all those vets with GI Bill money to spend would feel at home.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: JustDrive on March 24, 2012, 01:57:13 PM
Fresno, CA has a section near downtown named after the California counties.

This is quite common in Virginia.  More than a few places around the Commonwealth have neighborhoods with street names for some of its counties, including Springfield in Fairfax County. 
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

yakra

"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

formulanone

Quote from: yakra on May 03, 2013, 06:55:48 PM
I don't think this was intentional, but nonetheless:
https://maps.google.com/?ll=43.913609,-69.823834&t=h&z=20 :clap:

Dike Road should be "Levee Road", then...

empirestate

NE2

kurumi

My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

roadman65

This one should also be posted in the ironic street name thread as it is quite an amazement.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

agentsteel53

I'll bet it was intentional.  if not by the subdivision owner, then by someone who noticed that the two small connector roads needed names...

jake@aaroads.com

theline

Quote from: roadman65 on May 07, 2013, 03:38:45 PM
This one should also be posted in the ironic street name thread as it is quite an amazement.

Amazing, but not ironic. It's not my intention to start yet another dicussion of the meaning of "ironic." Check that thread for more than enough of that.

mgk920

Quote from: theline on May 07, 2013, 07:31:18 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on May 07, 2013, 03:38:45 PM

Amazing, but not ironic. It's not my intention to start yet another dicussion of the meaning of "ironic." Check that thread for more than enough of that.

They also misspelled nearby 'Center St'.

:-P

Mike

lepidopteran

In the core of Downtown Toledo, the N-S streets are named for the Great Lakes, including mini lake St. Clair (Between Lake Michigan and Lake Erie).  The E-W streets are named for U.S. Presidents, though not in order.  Indeed, the main thoroughfare for West Toledo is Monroe St. (OH-51, former US-223)  The cardinal directions are off by about 30°, since the street grid is at an angle.

empirestate

Quote from: lepidopteran on May 08, 2013, 10:16:02 PM
In the core of Downtown Toledo, the N-S streets are named for the Great Lakes, including mini lake St. Clair (Between Lake Michigan and Lake Erie).

Hmm, including St. Clair? That would make seven names, wouldn't it? Superior, Michigan, Huron, St. Clair, Erie, Ontario, and Champlain. :evilgrin:

Oh wait...I was making a joke there, but it turns out there actually is a Champlain St. in that series. I guess Toledo is on board with the Great Lake status for Champlain movement!

Kacie Jane

I came here to post this anyway, imagine my surprise to see Great Lakes being discussed!

But Bellingham -- nowhere near the Great Lakes -- has a sequence of Superior, Michigan, Ontario, St. Clair, Huron, Erie.  (Yes, ironically, it has a St. Clair, but no Champlain.  Also ironically, St. Clair is the longest of the six.)

In the same area, there are streets named after states: Kansas, Ohio, Iowa, Kentucky, Virginia, Carolina, Texas, Alabama, North (?), Connecticut, Maryland, Illinois, Indiana, Oregon.

These are perpendicular, so that Michigan (named after the lake) intersects about seven of the streets named after states.

There's also a Nevada Street (not part of a theme, but is part of an alphabet) west of the Great Lake streets that intersects several of the state streets.

Dr Frankenstein

hotdogPi

All names of towns. This extends past this map's borders.

Seabrook, New Hampshire. That is the Atlantic Ocean to the right.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.