News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

Question for the Flickr users

Started by hbelkins, January 07, 2011, 10:43:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

I'm looking at easier and better ways to organize and upload my batches of trip photos.

I'm currently using iPhoto to append information to the photos, then produce HTML Web pages. These require post-processing in Adobe GoLive to get them suitable for uploading.

I'm hoping to find an alternative way of doing this so as to eliminate all the requisite HTML editing. I know a number of people are using Flickr for their photo galleries and am interested in doing the same.

Can any of you Flickr users recommend any tools to produce cutlines for the photos and automate the upload process? I primarily use a Mac so Mac solutions would be great, but I also have access to a PC so Windows solutions would be acceptable. I'm looking for something that I can use to provide cutlines and "tag" the photos offline, then set up to upload overnight or in a similar manner that would not require babysitting the computer.

And if not Flickr, which is a Yahoo product, can anyone recommend any other online photo services that would perform a similar function?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

usends

In my opinion, the $25/year for a Pro account on Flickr is a bargain.  It allows you to tag each upload, or user-specified batches of photos, as well as make individual comments on specific photos.  I think Flickr has done a great job anticipating the needs of photographers and implementing ways to meet those needs.  If you do some routine tagging and/or grouping of your photos into "Sets" and "Collections" after each upload, then finding the photo you want later should be a simple matter.  Not to mention, the online aspect solves other problems too, like storage space for photos, and having to transfer all of them when you get a new hard drive.  Plus, you can geotag your photos if you wish.  I'm a big fan...

Post Merge: January 08, 2011, 12:47:11 PM

Quote from: hbelkins on January 07, 2011, 10:43:06 AM
Can any of you Flickr users recommend any tools to produce cutlines for the photos and automate the upload process? I primarily use a Mac so Mac solutions would be great, but I also have access to a PC so Windows solutions would be acceptable. I'm looking for something that I can use to provide cutlines and "tag" the photos offline, then set up to upload overnight or in a similar manner that would not require babysitting the computer.

There is a Flickr upload tool that you can download and install on your local machine.  I'm not sure whether it would allow you to do exactly what you describe above.  Personally, I haven't found it necessary - I just use their online uploader.  And if you're willing to change your workflow a little, you might find that Flickr addresses your needs.  After each upload, you're prompted to tag the entire upload, and/or put the upload into a new or existing Set, and/or enter cutlines for individual photos.  But you don't have to do any of those things.  I find it to be very flexible and intuitive.  You don't have to babysit the computer - just let it do the upload, and when you come back, Flickr is waiting for you in case you want to do any tagging, etc.
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

Dougtone

Quote from: hbelkins on January 07, 2011, 10:43:06 AM
I'm looking at easier and better ways to organize and upload my batches of trip photos.

I'm currently using iPhoto to append information to the photos, then produce HTML Web pages. These require post-processing in Adobe GoLive to get them suitable for uploading.

I'm hoping to find an alternative way of doing this so as to eliminate all the requisite HTML editing. I know a number of people are using Flickr for their photo galleries and am interested in doing the same.

And if not Flickr, which is a Yahoo product, can anyone recommend any other online photo services that would perform a similar function?

I use the Flickr Uploadr to upload my photos onto Flickr.  It allows you to select photos, add tags, add sets and have it upload with no babysitting.  It's available for Windows and Mac.

http://www.flickr.com/tools/ - This site lists all the various tools that one can use to upload photos to Flickr, with the Flickr Uploadr displayed prominently.

WillWeaverRVA

You can't set Flickr Uploadr to automatically upload your photos at a given time, but you can do your work then close the program without losing it; you don't have to do everything in one instance of the program being open.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

hbelkins

Quote from: Dougtone on January 07, 2011, 07:51:20 PM
http://www.flickr.com/tools/ - This site lists all the various tools that one can use to upload photos to Flickr, with the Flickr Uploadr displayed prominently.

I'm trying out the Flickr plug-in for iPhoto since I already use that built-in Apple program. Thanks for pointing me in the direction of that page.

hbelkins

I did set up a Flickr account and uploaded a set of photos to it (Day 1 of my trip to Springfield, Mass. back in November). My Flickr page is at http://www.flickr.com/photos/hbelkins if anyone cares to look. Needless to say, with the number of pics I have, I sprung for a Pro account.

I looked at Picasa (by Google) and it pales in comparison to Flickr, although I think it's unusual that Flickr (a Yahoo service) allows you to log in using your Google ID.

WillWeaverRVA

The Google thing is new; older users of Flickr who log in using Yahoo can't switch to logging in using Google. Also, logging into Flickr with Google disables some features, although odds are you'll never notice - the only real significant changes are that you can't change your login ID, and you can't post directly to Facebook via Flickr, but there's plenty of Flickr apps that do that already. Other than that, it's the same.

Also, you probably noticed but I added you right back immediately. Thanks for the add. :P
Will Weaver

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

hbelkins

Is there anything I can do to speed up my uploads to Flickr? It is taking a minute or more for each photo to upload (using the iTunes plugin). I'm using AT&T FastAccess DSL over a wireless G home network. I tried reducing the quality of the photos from "maximum" (4 out of 4) to the second setting, but so far I can't tell that has sped anything up.

When I upload to Flickr it bogs the whole network down.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: hbelkins on January 11, 2011, 11:30:42 PM
Is there anything I can do to speed up my uploads to Flickr? It is taking a minute or more for each photo to upload (using the iTunes plugin). I'm using AT&T FastAccess DSL over a wireless G home network. I tried reducing the quality of the photos from "maximum" (4 out of 4) to the second setting, but so far I can't tell that has sped anything up.

When I upload to Flickr it bogs the whole network down.

I don't know a lot about Macs but it might be iPhoto; using Photoshop Lightroom to upload to Flickr is similarly slow. Are the photos you're uploading very large at all?
Will Weaver

froggie

Are you also taking into account the disparity between upload and download speeds?

hbelkins

Quote from: froggie on January 12, 2011, 07:38:59 AM
Are you also taking into account the disparity between upload and download speeds?

Yep. The uploads seem to be hogging all the bandwidth; my wife can be on her laptop playing a game and will note terrible lags in her game-play (a Flash game embedded in a Web page).

Upload speed is significantly slower than FTP.

Quote from: SyntheticDreamer on January 11, 2011, 11:42:23 PM

I don't know a lot about Macs but it might be iPhoto; using Photoshop Lightroom to upload to Flickr is similarly slow. Are the photos you're uploading very large at all?

Not particularly. None are more than 1 MB (taken on a 5 megapixel camera).

mightyace

I've always used the standalone program on my PC and haven't noticed any issues.

I have noticed that an Android app that I have (Pixelpipe) takes more time than I think it should to transfer images from my phone to flckr.  Maybe the iPhoto plugin has a similar issue.

Try the standalone Mac app and let us know how that works.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.