News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Strange Exit Ramp Configurations

Started by Brian556, April 02, 2011, 11:22:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian556

roadman65

I-87 in Saratoga Springs, NY at NY Route 9P on the northbound side!  It has the northbound on ramp to I-87 from NY 9P loop around from the south side and merge into NB I-87 BEFORE the NB I-87 Exit to NY 9P past NY 9P on the north side.  In other words two cloverleafs where you can get on and off of I-87 back to where you started.  What about the lack of interchange between I-87 and NY 29 also?  This also serves as connection to NY 29 from NB I-87 hence Schylerville as a control point for NY 9P that does not go there!

What about paying two tolls from US 6 and NY 17 to I-87 in Woodbury, NY.  The interchange is a simple trumpet, but if you go NB from Exit 16 to I-87 North you pay a coin drop at the Harriman Toll Plaza and then after you merge onto I-87 you obtain a ticket at the Woodbury Mainline Plaza as the Thruway is a closed system from  its Exits 16 and 50 .  You get double tolled there!
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

vdeane

Quote from: roadman65 on April 03, 2011, 10:47:03 AM
I-87 in Saratoga Springs, NY at NY Route 9P on the northbound side!  It has the northbound on ramp to I-87 from NY 9P loop around from the south side and merge into NB I-87 BEFORE the NB I-87 Exit to NY 9P past NY 9P on the north side.  In other words two cloverleafs where you can get on and off of I-87 back to where you started.  What about the lack of interchange between I-87 and NY 29 also?  This also serves as connection to NY 29 from NB I-87 hence Schylerville as a control point for NY 9P that does not go there!
I-81 at Syracuse Airport has a similar interchange.
QuoteWhat about paying two tolls from US 6 and NY 17 to I-87 in Woodbury, NY.  The interchange is a simple trumpet, but if you go NB from Exit 16 to I-87 North you pay a coin drop at the Harriman Toll Plaza and then after you merge onto I-87 you obtain a ticket at the Woodbury Mainline Plaza as the Thruway is a closed system from  its Exits 16 and 50 .  You get double tolled there!
You aren't double tolled.  The Thruway ticket system extends from exit 15A to exit 50 - but for some strange reason they put the Woodbury plaza inside the exit 16 interchange.  Thus, drivers getting on at exit 16 have to pay a flat rate to cover the cost of moving between exits 15A and 16 (they didn't set up the exit 16 plaza to differentiate between where motorists come from in this direction for some reason, probably because of NY 17 exit 131), as there are no booths for that movement otherwise, and drivers heading north pick up a special exit 16 ticket with that amount discounted.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Alps

I-78 EB at US 1/9 NB (Exit 58B) - the exit ramp has to braid itself around a local connection in a very awkward way.
I-95 on either side of Manhattan for more lolz.

Michael

My mention of Breezewood in the "Bad Interchanges" thread fits here too:

Quote from: Michael on March 15, 2011, 10:53:06 PM
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Breezewood.

roadman65

Quote from: AlpsROADS on April 03, 2011, 01:58:32 PM
I-78 EB at US 1/9 NB (Exit 58B) - the exit ramp has to braid itself around a local connection in a very awkward way.
I-95 on either side of Manhattan for more lolz.

That has to do with the fact that there was an entrance to the NJ Turnpike from US 1 & 9 from where the "Service Road" exit is now.  The Exit 58B ramp severed the old ramp and used to merge right on to I-78 just beyond I-78's last free exit.  The Service Road still looped around like it does today, but has no room to go uphill from the left as you may have figured.  It costs too much to redo it as the Service Road now can be graded to stay up and a simple loop could be from EB I-78.

Quote from: Michael on April 04, 2011, 07:21:21 PM
My mention of Breezewood in the "Bad Interchanges" thread fits here too:

Quote from: Michael on March 15, 2011, 10:53:06 PM
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Breezewood.

No one could ever forget Breezewood.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.