AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana  (Read 880191 times)

silverback1065

• Last Login: July 05, 2020, 11:18:20 AM
Re: Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana
« Reply #3400 on: May 31, 2020, 06:28:46 PM »

Why these flags have been placed in such numbers, and the difference, for instance, between an aqua and a dark blue, I have little idea. If anyone can provide enlightening details, please do.

Probably where wick drains will be placed to speed up soil settlement.

What's a 'wick drain'?

i believe it is used to drain (lower) the water table to allow for a dry foundation for whatever they are building

IndyAgent

• Last Login: July 06, 2020, 04:03:59 PM
« Reply #3401 on: June 01, 2020, 02:35:02 PM »

My son and I went hiking in Bedford on Saturday as as we drove down 37 it was encouraging to see the crews working on bridges north of Martinsville. Once Martinsville is done the exit I want done ASAP is at 144. Always catch that light.

ITB

• Last Login: June 01, 2020, 03:10:33 PM
« Reply #3402 on: June 01, 2020, 03:04:56 PM »

Why these flags have been placed in such numbers, and the difference, for instance, between an aqua and a dark blue, I have little idea. If anyone can provide enlightening details, please do.

What's a 'wick drain'?

i believe it is used to drain (lower) the water table to allow for a dry foundation for whatever they are building

Here's a couple of videos that explain and show the installation of wick drains.

qguy

• Last Login: July 06, 2020, 04:01:50 PM
« Reply #3403 on: June 02, 2020, 05:08:26 PM »

Good vids. Two questions for the group:

1. What do the colors of the flags represent? Types of wicks? Depths inserted?

2. Where do I go to work on a construction site in flip-flops?  :wow:

rte66man

• Last Login: July 05, 2020, 02:22:38 PM
« Reply #3404 on: June 02, 2020, 09:04:04 PM »

I cannot believe they released the video with the flip flops. At the very least it is a severe OSHA violation.   
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

edwaleni

• Last Login: July 06, 2020, 11:11:19 AM
« Reply #3405 on: June 03, 2020, 01:25:13 PM »

I cannot believe they released the video with the flip flops. At the very least it is a severe OSHA violation.

The second video was not made in the US. Therefore no OSHA rules were in force.

Why a wick drain over say a french drain? They serve the same purpose. I would think a french drain with a certain silica type could drain faster without loss of clay.

civeng

• Last Login: July 06, 2020, 05:24:26 PM
« Reply #3406 on: June 03, 2020, 01:57:06 PM »

Why a wick drain over say a french drain? They serve the same purpose. I would think a french drain with a certain silica type could drain faster without loss of clay.

A french drain needs an outlet.  Wick drains are installed in low, wet areas, and the water is wicked upwards to the surface, promoting consolidation.

Captain Jack

• Last Login: July 01, 2020, 05:07:07 PM
« Reply #3407 on: June 03, 2020, 06:57:25 PM »

Honestly I think Evansville is sufficient from Indianapolis down to roughly the Morgan Avenue and Lloyd Expressway exits. It's a large enough city. Fort Wayne is used for northbound I-69 from Indianapolis so using Evansville almost seems poetic since those two along with Indy are the three largest cities in the state. When I-69 is finished in Kentucky and Tennessee though I fully support usage of Memphis alongside with Evansville from I-64 southward and Memphis south of the Evansville exits. And Kentucky should (but probably will not) use Evansville for northbound across part of the state. The usage of Henderson reeks of the using of Ashland over Huntington along I-64, I fear Henderson will be used for a very long time.
What should Tennessee use for I-69 north?

Correct tdindy. Evansville is already used as the control from Martinsville south, so it will obviously be the south control in Indiana. I would say it should be the control north of Memphis.

Captain Jack

• Last Login: July 01, 2020, 05:07:07 PM
« Reply #3408 on: June 03, 2020, 06:58:16 PM »

The Elizabethtown reference is merely from when it used to be the Western Kentucky Pkwy, just hasn’t changed.

They erected new signs last year. Elizabethtown was used on the new ones.

sprjus4

• Last Login: Today at 02:49:12 AM
« Reply #3409 on: June 03, 2020, 07:19:52 PM »

The Elizabethtown reference is merely from when it used to be the Western Kentucky Pkwy, just hasn’t changed.

They erected new signs last year. Elizabethtown was used on the new ones.
It was merely a carbon copy of the old sign with no changes.

SSR_317

• Why does FHWA hate "Exit 0"?

• Last Login: July 03, 2020, 10:20:26 PM
« Reply #3410 on: June 13, 2020, 07:53:11 PM »

What's a 'wick drain'?

Here's a couple of videos that explain and show the installation of wick drains.
Thanks ITB, for the informative videos aboot wick drains (Canadian accent intentional, I miss the CFL)!

thefro

• Last Login: July 06, 2020, 02:58:44 PM
« Reply #3411 on: June 15, 2020, 12:44:51 PM »

https://i69finishline.com/news/on-track-update-june-15-2020/

The Grand Valley Boulevard overpass is open for traffic today.  Lots of good pictures/construction updates on the I-69 Finish Line site.

Quote from: I-69 Finish Line
IT’S OPEN! The first cars have driven across the new Grand Valley Boulevard overpass and the first pedestrians have tried out the new sidewalks. The new overpass opened this morning. It connects Martinsville High School and neighborhoods west of State Road 37 with businesses east of the highway.

This is a milestone for I-69 Finish Line. The Grand Valley overpass is the first of 39 new I-69 bridges to open. Watch this short video to see what Indiana Department of Transportation Commissioner Joe McGuinness has to say about the big moment and how the new Grand Valley overpass stands as a tribute to Martinsville.

When you cross the new overpass, here are some facts to keep in mind. Be sure to click the links to check out the photos, too!

The bridge is 372 feet long.
The bridge includes 1,500 cubic yards of concrete.
The very visible “M” on the bridge is a nod to nearby Martinsville High School.
The brick on the MSE walls pays homage to downtown Martinsville, matching the Morgan County Courthouse brick.
The aesthetics of the pier “fin walls” tie into the fence details and resemble artesian wells as a tribute to the mineral wells in the area.
All of the I-69 project work is carefully coordinated. Grand Valley was the first overpass constructed because it will serve as an important east-west connection during I-69 work at other access points.

X99

• Last Login: July 03, 2020, 05:53:38 PM
« Reply #3412 on: June 21, 2020, 10:19:41 PM »

Does the new bridge mean South Street is technically a tertiary road to Ohio? (Tertiary in OSM is wider than residential and shows up further out)
The cities I build in Minecraft are better laid out than the one I currently live in.

csw

• Last Login: July 06, 2020, 10:33:30 PM
« Reply #3413 on: July 06, 2020, 03:40:29 PM »

The flag colors mean nothing - sorry to disappoint.

As others said, wick drains are used to accelerate clay consolidation. Basically, you make the clay settle now rather than later, so that it doesn't settle underneath the structure after it's built and damage the structure.

The way clay consolidation works is that when a clay layer has a load placed on it, such as a structure or roadway or layer of backfill soil, the load is initially borne by the water in the soil and gradually transferred over to the soil itself as the water leaves it (i.e., it is a time-dependent process). As this water leaves (is forced out by the loading), the soil settles because the void spaces where the water was are now empty. This process of water leaving the soil can take a very long time - often months or years, depending on the soil type and stratigraphy (for example, water drains out of sand instantly, so there is no consolidation over time - it settles instantly. But clays take a lot longer to drain).

What wick drains do is provide a short path for water to drain out once a load is applied to the soil. The rate of settlement is proportional to the square of the drainage distance - basically, the longer distance water has to travel to leave the clay layer, the longer it takes for the soil to settle. For example, if you have a 10' thick clay layer you want to consolidate, it takes a set amount of time to fully settle. But if you install wick drains every 2', it will settle 25 times quicker (10^2 versus 2^2 is a 25:1 ratio).

tl;dr wick drains make construction go more quickly so you can drive the new I-69 sooner.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.