News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Interstates avoiding toll facilities

Started by Revive 755, July 07, 2011, 09:57:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revive 755

How many interstates were originally planned to run on free facilities instead of a nearby toll facility?  A few possible examples:

* I-95 between Trenton and somewhere in the New York City area.

* I-35 between Wichita and Emporia - seems to have been originally planned to avoid the Kansas Turnpike via I-135 and US 50 through Newton.

* I-94 between the Edens Spur and the US 41 interchange near the Wisconsin border - I've seen an old newspaper map that had I-94 staying on US 41 instead of going on the Tri-State, but it could have just been a mappo.

Michael in Philly

I-295 in New Jersey.  Parallels the Turnpike for 50-odd miles and there are places they're so close you can see one from the other.
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

agentsteel53

A very similar example is I-95 and Florida's Turnpike, which run so close to each other in places that, apart from one fence, a cop on the shoulder could patrol both roads at the same time.  

there is also a toll road in Chicagoland with this property, but I forget which one it is.  I-355 sounds familiar, but I do not know which other road it parallels.  I-90?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Brandon

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 07, 2011, 10:24:55 PM
A very similar example is I-95 and Florida's Turnpike, which run so close to each other in places that, apart from one fence, a cop on the shoulder could patrol both roads at the same time. 

there is also a toll road in Chicagoland with this property, but I forget which one it is.  I-355 sounds familiar, but I do not know which other road it parallels.  I-90?

I-290, but it is on a slightly different path than I-294 which it parallels for about 2 miles.
Then we have two toll roads with just a Jersey barrier between them (I-88 and I-355).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

agentsteel53

Quote from: Brandon on July 07, 2011, 10:36:39 PM
Then we have two toll roads with just a Jersey barrier between them (I-88 and I-355).

that is the example I had been trying to remember.  I remember this "anti-multiplex" being rather short.  About a mile or two.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

Quote from: Revive 755 on July 07, 2011, 09:57:21 PM
* I-35 between Wichita and Emporia - seems to have been originally planned to avoid the Kansas Turnpike via I-135 and US 50 through Newton.
I think this was just Henry-style following existing routes when planning Interstates.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

vdeane

I-88 was to do something similar and parallel I-90 from it's current eastern end to Albany.  Ditto for I-87 north of I-787.  I-790 actually does (doubling it's length) for logistical reasons.  I-90 goes through Albany rather than staying on the Thruway.  I-295 in NJ also qualifies.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

formulanone

There's either a large concrete wall, fencing, or sizable drainage ditch to prevent that from happening, thankfully. The parallel structure is due to I-95's completion from SR786 to SR76 around late-1987, my guess is that acquiring the land they really wanted was too expensive.

Usually, if I have to go to the Orlando-area, I jump on to the Turnpike from SR70 via I-95, and vice versa to break up the monotony (and have more choices for gas/junk food along SR70).

1995hoo

I-295 around Richmond and Petersburg bypasses a portion of I-95 that used to be a toll road (the Richmond—Petersburg Turnpike, a name that's largely been forgotten). The tolls were removed around 1992 if I remember correctly. I'm not sure this really qualifies for this poll because I-295 is a partial beltway that would have been built regardless of I-95's status as a toll road, but it's an example of a free road paralleling a toll road.

I-95 in Maine was an example as well prior to the renumbering of the x95s up there. The Maine Turnpike hooks to the west north of Falmouth and I-95 exited the Turnpike there and took a shorter, non-tolled route up to Gardiner, where it rejoined the Turnpike. That road is now part of I-295 (and a very tiny segment is now unsigned I-495, which used to be the Turnpike's number). Anyone who knows where he's going opts for I-295 over the Turnpike due to the shorter drive (unless, of course, his destination is off that part of the Turnpike).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

thenetwork

In early maps through the early 70s, I-80 was to have left the Ohio Turnpike in the Cleveland area along the alignment known today as I-480.

Had this been done, there was no plan (to my knowledge) to number the interstate-less section of the 'pike south of C'Town.

hbelkins

I-81 and the PA Turnpike Northeast Extension in the Wilkes-Barre and Scranton area.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

PAHighways

Quote from: thenetwork on July 08, 2011, 06:19:50 PM
In early maps through the early 70s, I-80 was to have left the Ohio Turnpike in the Cleveland area along the alignment known today as I-480.

There was also a plan for I-80 to continue west on what is now I-76 to Akron and from then turn northwest to connect to the Turnpike at Norwalk.

mgk920

You forget the bigger picture - I-80 bypassing the Ohio Turnpike, Pennsylvania Turnpike and New Jersey Turnpike between the Youngstown, OH area and the GWB.

Mike

PAHighways

One of the earliest proposals had I-80 on the Ohio and Pennsylvania Turnpikes to Carlisle where the designation would split into I-80N to NYC via what is now 81 and 78 and I-80S to Philadelphia.

J N Winkler

Quote from: NE2 on July 07, 2011, 11:33:24 PM
Quote*  I-35 between Wichita and Emporia - seems to have been originally planned to avoid the Kansas Turnpike via I-135 and US 50 through Newton.

I think this was just Henry-style following existing routes when planning Interstates.

Yes, it was.  The original route for what is now I-35 was meant to follow the US 81 corridor from Wichita north to Newton, and then the US 50 corridor from Newton east to Kansas City.  No Interstate from Newton to Salina or Emporia to Topeka was planned as part of the original network.  When the Turnpike was built, it duplicated the planned free provision from the Oklahoma state line north to Emporia and from Topeka to Kansas City, for a total distance of 180 miles financed on the full faith and credit of the state of Kansas--no federal involvement.  So, as part of a later deal, Kansas got what is now I-135 north of Newton (about 60 miles) and untolled I-35 between Emporia and Kansas City (about 110 miles).
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

realjd

There's a stretch near Jupiter where they're separated only by a jersey barrier...

http://maps.google.com/?ll=26.955334,-80.165919&spn=0.003859,0.006866&z=18&layer=c&cbll=26.955334,-80.165919&panoid=2vkyWEdPy8Bvw9gjj8a2jw&cbp=12,153.05,,0,0

TheStranger

I wonder how many drivers heading south to Miami from Orlando switch over to I-95 at State Road 70 in Fort Pierce, instead of staying on the Turnpike...
Chris Sampang

1995hoo

Quote from: TheStranger on July 12, 2011, 12:43:23 PM
I wonder how many drivers heading south to Miami from Orlando switch over to I-95 at State Road 70 in Fort Pierce, instead of staying on the Turnpike...

We did the opposite two weeks ago driving from Pembroke Pines to Rockledge–we took the Turnpike to FL-70, then I-95 the rest of the way. I figured the toll road would have fewer exits and probably less traffic. My sat-nav also wanted us to take the Turnpike because it's the shorter distance. That part of Florida is one of the few areas I have left to cover for an I-95 clinch (the other being the portion from Bangor to Houlton), but I didn't particularly care on this trip.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

realjd

Quote from: TheStranger on July 12, 2011, 12:43:23 PM

If I'm driving south to the Keys (or anywhere in west Miami-Dade) from Palm Bay, I usually switch over to the Turnpike at Indiantown Road in Jupiter rather than at 70 in Ft. Pierce. The Turnpike is shorter, but it's only 2 lanes while I-95 is three. On that stretch, I-95 is a much easier drive IMO.

Also worth noting is that access to the Turnpike from I-95 is always well marked at every opportunity while access from the Turnpike to I-95 is not.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.