News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Unidirectional Lane Change Prohibitions?

Started by vtk, September 17, 2011, 01:07:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtk

I know this situation has existed in the past, but I'm not sure if it exists anywhere now.  Basically, on a roadway with 2 or more lanes in the same direction (perhaps a freeway) vehicles are allowed to change (for example) from the middle lane to the right lane, but not from the right lane to the middle lane.  In Columbus, this was marked with combination solid-dashed white lines, like a one-sided no passing zone except with white paint.  Today I can't find anything like that in the MUTCD.

Most places where such a restriction would be useful, DOTs seem to go with a simpler double white line to prohibit all lane changes.  In the one case I know of where that would cause problems, ODOT changed it to an ordinary lane line (with no apparent prohibitions) about a decade ago.  

The example I'm referring to is on OH 315, just north of I-70.  If you look at that interchange on aerial imagery, you'll see there are two exits from I-70 WB to OH 315 NB; the one on the left is the proper freeway-to-freeway exit, while the one on the right is meant for I-70 traffic to reach the Rich St exit.  It joins the OH 315 mainline briefly to allow OH 315 traffic to also access the Rich St exit.  Here's where lane changes from the I-70 ramp onto OH 315 were once prohibited by the pavement markings described above.  Now, there is no indication of such prohibition, and it's not uncommon for drivers to treat this as a ramp to OH 315, often cutting off drivers already on 315 in the process.  I wasn't driving yet when the lane change prohibition was marked, but I was aware of it.  I was not, however, aware of how frequently the prohibition was violated.  

Was this kind of striping ever described in the MUTCD?  If so, why was it removed?  Are there any other examples of unidirectional lane change prohibitions?  If so, how is the prohibition indicated?
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

realjd

NY uses a similar striping setup for the HOV lanes along the 495. Having never seen this style of striping before, I just assumed it was another "unique" local, nonstandard way to mark an HOV lane entrance and entered when it was exit only. Thankfully no cops were around!

Dr Frankenstein

Quebec prohibits lane changes to the right at exit and entrance ramps on expressways and freeways.

Brandon

I've seen a few of these from time to time.  There's one on the nbd exit ramp from the Tri-State Twy to the Hinsdale Oasis.  The ramp briefly shares pavement with the ramp from I-55, and the striping is to allow traffic from I-55 to the nbd Tri-State to access the oasis.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: vtk on September 17, 2011, 01:07:04 PM
I know this situation has existed in the past, but I'm not sure if it exists anywhere now.  Basically, on a roadway with 2 or more lanes in the same direction (perhaps a freeway) vehicles are allowed to change (for example) from the middle lane to the right lane, but not from the right lane to the middle lane.  In Columbus, this was marked with combination solid-dashed white lines, like a one-sided no passing zone except with white paint.  Today I can't find anything like that in the MUTCD.

Most places where such a restriction would be useful, DOTs seem to go with a simpler double white line to prohibit all lane changes.  In the one case I know of where that would cause problems, ODOT changed it to an ordinary lane line (with no apparent prohibitions) about a decade ago. 

The example I'm referring to is on OH 315, just north of I-70.  If you look at that interchange on aerial imagery, you'll see there are two exits from I-70 WB to OH 315 NB; the one on the left is the proper freeway-to-freeway exit, while the one on the right is meant for I-70 traffic to reach the Rich St exit.  It joins the OH 315 mainline briefly to allow OH 315 traffic to also access the Rich St exit.  Here's where lane changes from the I-70 ramp onto OH 315 were once prohibited by the pavement markings described above.  Now, there is no indication of such prohibition, and it's not uncommon for drivers to treat this as a ramp to OH 315, often cutting off drivers already on 315 in the process.  I wasn't driving yet when the lane change prohibition was marked, but I was aware of it.  I was not, however, aware of how frequently the prohibition was violated. 

Was this kind of striping ever described in the MUTCD?  If so, why was it removed?  Are there any other examples of unidirectional lane change prohibitions?  If so, how is the prohibition indicated?

You missed the original one for Columbus (and the first sign that the east split needed to be redone). I-71 SB/I-70 WB past the 4th Street exit (US 23). Been that way since the mid 80s (till the reconstruction starts).
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

vtk

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on September 17, 2011, 10:36:53 PM
You missed the original one for Columbus (and the first sign that the east split needed to be redone). I-71 SB/I-70 WB past the 4th Street exit (US 23). Been that way since the mid 80s (till the reconstruction starts).

That's been a double solid line as long as I can remember.  Did it once allow right-to-left lane changes?
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: vtk on September 17, 2011, 10:44:05 PM

That's been a double solid line as long as I can remember.  Did it once allow right-to-left lane changes?

Never mind, I thought your example was along 315 SB between Rich/Town and I-70.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

6a

Am I the only one that remembers those floppy barrier things (whatever the hell they're called) they used in that area?

ODOT is the only one I've seen to use this kind of prohibition where they actually think it'll work.  In reality I find it to be a case of "we suck at design so you suck at rush hour."

vdeane

Quote from: realjd on September 17, 2011, 01:20:31 PM
NY uses a similar striping setup for the HOV lanes along the 495. Having never seen this style of striping before, I just assumed it was another "unique" local, nonstandard way to mark an HOV lane entrance and entered when it was exit only. Thankfully no cops were around!

Sometimes seen elsewhere in NY too.  I believe I-86 has them on the climbing lanes in the Corning bypass, the Thruway uses them for acceleration/deceleration lanes (they formerly existed on the exit-only lane for exit 45 (I-490) heading west), and I-81 north has them for the exit-only lane between NY 3 and NY 12F.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hm insulators

On I-10 eastbound just est of the California/Arizona line, there is a one-mile stretch of the freeway where it's prohibited to change lanes. I think it has something to do with the state port of entry where trucks hauling certain items have to stop.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

agentsteel53

Quote from: hm insulators on September 27, 2011, 03:19:03 PM
On I-10 eastbound just est of the California/Arizona line, there is a one-mile stretch of the freeway where it's prohibited to change lanes. I think it has something to do with the state port of entry where trucks hauling certain items have to stop.

I think it's to get the trucks lined up correctly for the transponders to communicate electronically with the weigh station.

like mentioned in another thread (where you can avoid paying a toll if you are switching lanes at the tollbooths on Denver's E-470 or Toronto's 407), apparently being in the middle of a lane change will scramble to transponder.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.