More than one game in same locale, different sports, same 2 city opponents

Started by txstateends, October 23, 2011, 03:40:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

txstateends

This weekend, in the DFW area, specifically in Arlington, we have Dallas Cowboys playing the St. Louis Rams, while 3-4 hours later, across a couple of parking lots, the Texas Rangers are playing the St. Louis Cardinals in the 4th World Series game.  Has there been any other instances of same locale, different sports, same 2 city opponents playing on the same date before?
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

Michael in Philly

Philadelphia can top that:  on the first Sunday of November 2009, we had the Phillies against the Yankees (at home) in the World Series, the Eagles against the Giants (at home), AND the final concert at the Spectrum.  All in the same complex.

(And when I was in Wisconsin last Sunday, radio people were noting that the Brewers and the Packers were both playing St. Louis.)
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

xonhulu

Quote from: Michael in Philly on October 23, 2011, 05:30:35 PM
(And when I was in Wisconsin last Sunday, radio people were noting that the Brewers and the Packers were both playing St. Louis.)

Not the same city, but it still should count.

Michael in Philly

Question:  do the Packers still play some home games in Milwaukee?
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

jgb191

Same thing happened last year in Arlington:  World Series game, Cowboys game, and Six Flags Over Texas all operating the same day.  Last year it happened on Halloween night.  You can't find a parking spot in the city of Arlington on a day like this, and to make matters worse, construction on I-30 and TX-360.  I would not want to be in Arlington today.

And Arlington is no small town mind you, it is the seventh largest city in Texas, the third largest in the DFW Metroplex, and the 48th largest city in the nation.  The population of the city is similar to other sports cities like Minneapolis, Tampa, Cleveland, Oakland, Miami, etc.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

Zmapper

Remember, because this is conservative Texas you have a city of 300,000 with three major destinations with NO public transit at all.  :banghead:

1995hoo

Quote from: Michael in Philly on October 23, 2011, 08:35:57 PM

No, they stopped doing that a while ago, well before the Brewers moved into their new ballpark.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

txstateends

Quote from: jgb191 on October 23, 2011, 09:04:56 PM
Same thing happened last year in Arlington:  World Series game, Cowboys game, and Six Flags Over Texas all operating the same day.  Last year it happened on Halloween night.

But were the Cowboys playing the 49ers that game?  I remember that happening last year, but my question was SAME city opponents.  I think Michael has 1, with the Phillies-Yankees / Eagles-Giants.  My point was that same locale/different sports/same city opponents very rarely happens.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Considering that more than a handful of cities (San Fran, Oakland, Denver, Houston, St. Louis, Atlanta, Miami, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and Philadelphia) had multi sport facilities for a generation (or longer) it was very rare occurance.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

NWI_Irish96

Most recent occurrence for the White Sox and Bears was 9/21/1997, when both teams played in Boston, if you count Foxboro as being part of Boston.

Edit 1: I think your best bets for finding occurrences are going to be MLB/NBA and MLB/NHL combos in April-June.

Edit 2: The White Sox hosted the Indians and the Bulls hosted the Cavaliers on 4/8/2010.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

triplemultiplex

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 23, 2011, 10:30:10 PM

No, they stopped doing that a while ago, well before the Brewers moved into their new ballpark.
1994 to be exact.  The reason?  The Packers put in a bunch more luxury boxes at Lambeau, thus making it more profitable to play all home games in Green Bay.  Perhaps coincidentally, we heard the first grumblings of a desire to build a replacement for County Stadium right about that time.
Interesting fact:
Due to the shape of the stadium, football games at County Stadium required that both teams use the same sideline for their bench area.  This situation was unique in the NFL.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

mgk920

Quote from: triplemultiplex on October 25, 2011, 05:57:53 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on October 23, 2011, 10:30:10 PM

1994 to be exact.  The reason?  The Packers put in a bunch more luxury boxes at Lambeau, thus making it more profitable to play all home games in Green Bay.  Perhaps coincidentally, we heard the first grumblings of a desire to build a replacement for County Stadium right about that time.
Interesting fact:
Due to the shape of the stadium, football games at County Stadium required that both teams use the same sideline for their bench area.  This situation was unique in the NFL.

OTOH, the Packers offered the fans who held season tickets at County Stadium a 'split' season ticket package at Green Bay, with the Milwaukeeans ('Gold' package) getting seats to games 2 and 5, with the Green Bay fans ('Green' package) getting the seats to games 1, 3, 4, 6, 7 and 8.  Both packages get one pre-season game with the 'Green' package fans having first dibs on post-season tix.  If 'Green' package fans don't want their seats in the post-season, the 'Gold' package fans get them.

Mike

jgb191

I heard the entire population of Green Bay can fit comfortably in Lambeau Field.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

mgk920

Quote from: jgb191 on October 25, 2011, 08:19:59 PM
I heard the entire population of Green Bay can fit comfortably in Lambeau Field.

No.

Lambeau Field seats just a bit over 70K (being expanded to about 80K), while the USCensus found 101K residents in the City of Green Bay.

Mike

pianocello

Quote from: cabiness42 on October 25, 2011, 10:59:13 AM
Edit 1: I think your best bets for finding occurrences are going to be MLB/NBA and MLB/NHL combos in April-June.

I would think NBA/NHL in November-June. Just because of the number of games played by both and amount of time; I can't come up with any examples off the top of my head.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

Alps

We've definitely had sports overlaps in NY before. I forget who it was, but something like Yankees and Rangers or Knicks playing the corresponding teams from the same city. I know it's not a concrete example, but I noted at the time that it seemed to be contrived that way.

Takumi

Quote from: pianocello on October 25, 2011, 09:04:09 PM
I would think NBA/NHL in November-June. Just because of the number of games played by both and amount of time; I can't come up with any examples off the top of my head.

Actually, not really. Most NBA and NHL teams in the same city share an arena.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Michael in Philly

Quote from: mgk920 on October 25, 2011, 08:21:18 PM
Quote from: jgb191 on October 25, 2011, 08:19:59 PM

No.

Lambeau Field seats just a bit over 70K (being expanded to about 80K), while the USCensus found 101K residents in the City of Green Bay.

Mike

Well, if there's not an actual game on at the time, the other 31,000 can stand on the field....
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

pianocello

Quote from: Takumi on October 25, 2011, 10:11:53 PM
Quote from: pianocello on October 25, 2011, 09:04:09 PM

Actually, not really. Most NBA and NHL teams in the same city share an arena.

Good point. Forgot about that little factoid.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.