News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

NY 17/"I-86"

Started by newyorker478, October 27, 2011, 07:54:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on March 18, 2022, 09:51:00 PM
Quote from: dzheng35 on March 18, 2022, 09:22:42 PM
Just wondering once they do the potential improvements in Sullivan and Orange County, from where to where would the I-86 designation be applied?

Once improvements are complete, NY 17 will be up to Interstate standards from Exit 103 (old route 17) to the New York Thruway. At that point, the I-86 designation can be applied. Of course, NYSDOT will have to seek approval to sign it and uncover the shields at the I-84 interchange.
NY 17 already meets interstate standards between Roscoe and Liberty as far as I'm aware.  Whether Hochul would be looking to also do whatever upgrades are necessary to bridge the gap between there and exit 103 with the widening I'm not sure, but I was leaning that way with how she said "complete I-86 in Orange and Sullivan Counties".  If so, that would allow for designation between exit 94 and the Thruway.

https://nysroads.com/i86-ny17.php

Quote from: Rothman on March 17, 2022, 10:47:27 PM
Makes me wonder if R9 put it in there as illustrative rather than an actual project.
Given that there was no construction funding listed, I wonder if they're just keeping things like the environmental work up to date so they can go to construction if a miracle happens and it gets a chance for funding.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

dzheng35

1. TBH, since exit 102 is close to exit 103, why couldn't they just include 102 for improvement as well?

2. Also, having those covered I-86 shields between NY 17K and I-84 was a waste of money since they'll probably be replaced after the widening and the fact that they never got uncovered because DOT failed to bring that section up to standards.

3. What are some of the deficiency issues between exits 79 and 84 other than the lack of accel lane on the eastbound on-ramp of exit 81.

4. Why does the speed limit have to be 55 throughout the entire stretch of Delaware county when it can really be signed higher? (Other than Hale Eddy). Same thing through Monticello. I mean, no one actually drives that slow right?

5. Finally, speaking of Monticello, RT 17 will be a disaster in Monticello this summer due to an interchange reconstruction which if you looked on DOT, you know which interchange I'm talking about. (Hint: It's the cloverleaf)

Rothman

Quote from: Anthony_JK on March 18, 2022, 09:47:39 PM
Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on March 17, 2022, 09:50:02 PM
The Appalachian corridors do just fine with having freeway standard roads with turn offs and such. US 24 in Ohio does just fine west of Toledo.

The concept of straightening out the Hale Eddy mess involves cutting and bombing a significant portion of the hill and taking all properties north of the road.

Besides, ruining a perfectly good Hale Eddy isn't going to magically make it interstate highway quality. There are significantly more problematic issues on 17 east of there (exit 111 for example) that need to be taken care of that are more serious.

You can just make the 86 shields "vanish" through that stretch.

The Appalachian Corridors are not designated Interstate-grade freeways. I-86 is.

There aren't that many properties to be taken; less than usual.

You don't simply "hide" an Interstate shield in a non-interstate section. The expectation of an Interstate highway is FULL control of access with NO direct at-grade connections and NO driveway connections. Hale Eddy as it stands now violates this premise. Either fix that brief section to meet the same standards, or junk the I-86 designation everywhere else, for it's no longer an Interstate-grade freeway.
The conversion was a designated ARC and did receive associated Appalachian funding for the work done on the western end
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

dzheng35

Quote from: vdeane on March 18, 2022, 10:38:49 PM
Just wondering once they do the potential improvements in Sullivan and Orange County, from where to where would the I-86 designation be applied?

Once improvements are complete, NY 17 will be up to Interstate standards from Exit 103 (old route 17) to the New York Thruway. At that point, the I-86 designation can be applied. Of course, NYSDOT will have to seek approval to sign it and uncover the shields at the I-84 interchange.
NY 17 already meets interstate standards between Roscoe and Liberty as far as I'm aware.  Whether Hochul would be looking to also do whatever upgrades are necessary to bridge the gap between there and exit 103 with the widening I'm not sure, but I was leaning that way with how she said "complete I-86 in Orange and Sullivan Counties".  If so, that would allow for designation between exit 94 and the Thruway.

Makes me wonder if R9 put it in there as illustrative rather than an actual project.
Given that there was no construction funding listed, I wonder if they're just keeping things like the environmental work up to date so they can go to construction if a miracle happens and it gets a chance for funding.

On your website, you forgot to put stage 2 of exit 122 reconstruction under future projects.

seicer

Quote from: Anthony_JK on March 18, 2022, 09:47:39 PM
Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on March 17, 2022, 09:50:02 PM
The Appalachian corridors do just fine with having freeway standard roads with turn offs and such. US 24 in Ohio does just fine west of Toledo.

The concept of straightening out the Hale Eddy mess involves cutting and bombing a significant portion of the hill and taking all properties north of the road.

Besides, ruining a perfectly good Hale Eddy isn't going to magically make it interstate highway quality. There are significantly more problematic issues on 17 east of there (exit 111 for example) that need to be taken care of that are more serious.

You can just make the 86 shields "vanish" through that stretch.

The Appalachian Corridors are not designated Interstate-grade freeways. I-86 is.

They actually can be.

ADHS E is Interstate 68 and 70; ADHS X is Interstate 22. Others could be with minimal improvements, such as part of ADHS I and R which encompass the Mountain Parkway in Kentucky (which is being upgraded to interstate-grade standards for its entire length), and considering the state has been adamant about receiving interstate designations for other parkways, it's not far fetched to believe it will happen in the future.

vdeane

Quote from: dzheng35 on March 19, 2022, 12:51:02 AM

On your website, you forgot to put stage 2 of exit 122 reconstruction under future projects.
When did stage 2 of that reconstruction become a thing?  The list I have is based on something Rothman posted here years ago and I don't think it was on there.  Further, when the other work at exit 122 was done, I don't remember anything about it being phase 1 or a 2 stage project; when I saw further changes at exit 122 in the PEL study, I was actually surprised because of that.  The other items in the PEL study don't exactly match the descriptions Rothman posted either, so I suspect the list of further work to be done has changed over the years.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Rothman

Quote from: vdeane on March 19, 2022, 05:17:28 PM
Quote from: dzheng35 on March 19, 2022, 12:51:02 AM

When did stage 2 of that reconstruction become a thing?  The list I have is based on something Rothman posted here years ago and I don't think it was on there.  Further, when the other work at exit 122 was done, I don't remember anything about it being phase 1 or a 2 stage project; when I saw further changes at exit 122 in the PEL study, I was actually surprised because of that.  The other items in the PEL study don't exactly match the descriptions Rothman posted either, so I suspect the list of further work to be done has changed over the years.
It has been a LONG time since I posted that list.  I am sure some of the projects have changed.

You know NYSDOT's projects get hacked up and repackaged all the time. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

roadman65

Is I-86 now signed completely between Binghamton and its western terminus entirely?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

MASTERNC

Quote from: roadman65 on March 22, 2022, 05:19:39 PM
Is I-86 now signed completely between Binghamton and its western terminus entirely?

No, there is a section west of Owego that is still signed as Future I-86

vdeane

None of NY 17 between US 220 and I-81 is designated I-86, despite overhead signage to the contrary.  Ground mounted signed has rather permanent looking TO banners.

dzheng35

Quote from: vdeane on March 22, 2022, 08:07:46 PM
None of NY 17 between US 220 and I-81 is designated I-86, despite overhead signage to the contrary.  Ground mounted signed has rather permanent looking TO banners.

Anytime on fixing the last section west of I-81. It's so close to being done that I think DOT might as well should just finish that section already. I mean. It's just one section so just finish it already and never worry about it again. Then the gap can finally be closed.

rickmastfan67

Do you know if they've at least 'officially' made the I-81/I-86 overlap official?  Most of the signage there seems like it's good to go per StreetView.  Only asking for TM reasons. lol.
https://goo.gl/maps/He3jfMne4LdxV8S8A

Rothman

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on March 23, 2022, 02:15:46 AM

Do you know if they've at least 'officially' made the I-81/I-86 overlap official?  Most of the signage there seems like it's good to go per StreetView.  Only asking for TM reasons. lol.
Yes.

webny99

If you've been on the overlap, I think as long as you have I-81 logged TM should automatically give you credit for all concurrent routes.

roadman65

Considering PA has I-70 and parts of I-78 not at complete standards and allowed to be signed as interstate, I don't see why NY can't have a full completed Interstate from the PA line to Windsor.

Heck NJ was allowed to sign I-295 between Exits 14 and Exit 21 when all the interchanges were substandard before 1988 as that was a preexisting expressway of US 130 before the interstates came along. 

Then there is I-678 in Camden and I-68 in Cumberland that are not quite up to it either.

Sheryl Crowe

rickmastfan67

Quote from: webny99 on March 23, 2022, 09:34:36 AM

If you've been on the overlap, I think as long as you have I-81 logged TM should automatically give you credit for all concurrent routes.

We still have the 'Future' I-86 along I-81 right now.  That's why I asked if I-86 along it was official so we could extend 'I-86Bin' along I-81 instead.

vdeane

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on March 23, 2022, 09:12:37 PM

We still have the 'Future' I-86 along I-81 right now.  That's why I asked if I-86 along it was official so we could extend 'I-86Bin' along I-81 instead.
There's this, but it looks like everything else involving the I-81 overlap lacks to TO banner.  Maybe it's since been removed or was an oversight?

webny99

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on March 23, 2022, 09:12:37 PM

Oh, OK, got it - didn't realize you were referring to the site itself, not your own travels. :D

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: roadman65 on March 23, 2022, 08:28:22 PM
Then there is I-678 in Camden and I-68 in Cumberland that are not quite up to it either.

Must be a long tunnel under JFK and a long causeway across Raritan Bay that they built :bigass:
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

roadman65

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on March 23, 2022, 09:35:01 PM

Must be a long tunnel under JFK and a long causeway across Raritan Bay that they built :bigass:
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on March 23, 2022, 09:35:01 PM

Typo. I-676 I mean. :bigass:

Sheryl Crowe

yakra

Quote from: Rothman on March 23, 2022, 06:42:48 AM
Yes.
Right, so that's NYSDOT I presume.
Just for the sake of muddying the waters, what have FHWA & AASHTO had to say on the topic again?
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Rothman

Quote from: yakra on March 23, 2022, 09:44:40 PM
Quote from: Rothman on March 23, 2022, 06:42:48 AM
Yes.
Right, so that's NYSDOT I presume.
Just for the sake of muddying the waters, what have FHWA & AASHTO had to say on the topic again?
Huh?  It's designated along that short portion.  That's all there is to it.

dzheng35

Has anyone noticed that the NY-17 shields in Tioga County are actually covering up I-86 shields? If you look carefully at the back of the 17 shield on google street view, you can see the outline of the interstate shield.
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.0592813,-76.1378721,3a,15y,253.82h,87.94t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sCVBi5YxyOgfs2AWjTlQD1g!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

webny99

Quote from: dzheng35 on March 23, 2022, 11:33:59 PM
Has anyone noticed that the NY-17 shields in Tioga County are actually covering up I-86 shields? If you look carefully at the back of the 17 shield on google street view, you can see the outline of the interstate shield.
link

Wow, that's an old-looking shield. What font is that? I'm not sure I've seen it before.

The EAST banner appears to be covered up as well (or maybe just extremely faded).

seicer

Are there plans to de-commission NY 17? I noticed further west that NY 17 signage has been getting sparse and not being replaced - in lieu of just using I-86 shields.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.