News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

BASE-BALL

Started by corco, October 28, 2011, 12:45:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmoore952

Quote from: bing101 on January 30, 2024, 09:31:29 PM
https://apnews.com/article/baltimore-orioles-david-rubenstein-sale-dffd7b500dc97d432ad1e739df656a67

David Rubenstein has a deal to buy the Baltimore Orioles for $1.725 billion, AP source says

I suspect that he bought the Orioles, rather than the Nationals (who are also available), because of the TV money deal. To be clear, there are others with him (meaning buyer partners, but I'm not sure of percentages).

I know of and highly respect Rubenstein. This might tip me a bit towards rooting for the Orioles, rather than the Nationals although (being from Philadelphia and then transplanting to Washington), I have always been an NL guy. Part of this had to do with the DH. But the NL uses the DH too now. The Nationals ownership incertainty, as well as their inability to keep and obtain star players is also factoring into this.

dlsterner

Quote from: triplemultiplex on February 02, 2024, 09:58:54 AM
Quote from: Takumi on February 02, 2024, 12:44:45 AM
One day later, the Orioles trade for Corbin Burnes. Maybe coincidence, but it sure looks like the new owners are going to be going for it.

Interesting trade.  Sucks to lose such a high caliber arm, but I seriously doubt Milwaukee would've paid to keep him here after this season so I guess might as well get something for him.  Just glad it'll be another year before Burnes ends up on one of the cash-chucker teams.

Corbin Burnes is represented by Scott Boras, so the chances are slim to none that Burnes will sign an extension, but rather test free agency.

As an Orioles fan, I do like this trade - even if it is just for one year.  Didn't have to give up one of the top prospects.  Joey Ortiz has the potential to be very good, but he was blocked by both Henderson and Holliday.  Then again, who knows ... maybe the ownership group will make a competitive offer to re-sign Burnes after this season.

Takumi

Quote from: dlsterner on February 03, 2024, 06:15:31 PM
Quote from: triplemultiplex on February 02, 2024, 09:58:54 AM
Quote from: Takumi on February 02, 2024, 12:44:45 AM
One day later, the Orioles trade for Corbin Burnes. Maybe coincidence, but it sure looks like the new owners are going to be going for it.

Interesting trade.  Sucks to lose such a high caliber arm, but I seriously doubt Milwaukee would've paid to keep him here after this season so I guess might as well get something for him.  Just glad it'll be another year before Burnes ends up on one of the cash-chucker teams.

Corbin Burnes is represented by Scott Boras, so the chances are slim to none that Burnes will sign an extension, but rather test free agency.

As an Orioles fan, I do like this trade - even if it is just for one year.  Didn't have to give up one of the top prospects.  Joey Ortiz has the potential to be very good, but he was blocked by both Henderson and Holliday.  Then again, who knows ... maybe the ownership group will make a competitive offer to re-sign Burnes after this season.

Agreed on all points. I think the only way Burnes signs an extension is if it's up there with Gerrit Cole's contract in terms of value. (Personally though, I think the first person to extend should be Adley.)
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Ted$8roadFan

The Boston Red Sox have (sort of) brought back wunderkind Theo Epstein as part of the Fenway Sports Group as a part-owner consultant. Epstein helped end the 86-year championship drought for the Red Sox in 2004, and the 108-year curse for the Cubs in 2016. Perhaps his presence will help reverse the malaise which has consumed Red Sox Nation since they have gone full moneyball while having some of the highest prices in the majors. Also, tomorrow is truck day, when the team sends its supplies for spring training to JetBlue Park in Fort Myers. A sign that spring will (eventually) arrive.

epzik8

As an Orioles fan, I do like this trade - even if it is just for one year.  Didn't have to give up one of the top prospects.

I have a strange feeling not a lot of Orioles fans thought highly of DL Hall...
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

dlsterner

Quote from: epzik8 on February 04, 2024, 07:52:43 AM
As an Orioles fan, I do like this trade - even if it is just for one year.  Didn't have to give up one of the top prospects.

I have a strange feeling not a lot of Orioles fans thought highly of DL Hall...

I liked DL Hall.  Just saying that I didn't think he was quite the same level as Holliday, Basallo, Mayo, Kjerstad, Cowser et al.  The kind of players the White Sox wanted for Dylan Cease.

triplemultiplex

As an Orioles fan, I do like this trade - even if it is just for one year. 

I liken it to that one season Milwaukee got with CC Sabathia.  He was critical to ending our playoff drought. 
(Still a little bitter he got screwed out of that no-hitter by a bad call at first.)
I wish Burnes and Baltimore well.  In a division full of teams I dislike or even hate, it's easy to root for them.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

bing101

https://apnews.com/article/billy-eppler-suspended-mlb-0bc8f0f955645f8afacd5d4b70d07895

Former Mets GM Billy Eppler suspended through World Series for fabricating injuries

bing101

gonealookin

Quote from: bing101 on February 13, 2024, 01:09:09 AM
https://www.kmbc.com/article/kansas-city-royals-will-announce-stadium-location-on-tuesday-afternoon/46758414
Now this Kansas City Royals talk about their stadium plans.

Roadgeek aspect to that:  The renderings show that I-670 would be capped as far east as Locust Street, to connect the T-Mobile Center on the north side of the freeway with the new ballpark.  I see that capping the freeway has been discussed extensively but the plans discussed there ended the cap at Grand Avenue on the east.  I'm not knowledgeable about Missouri and don't participate in that subforum; maybe some of the participants there can discuss that if they have recovered from their Chiefs hangovers.

Henry

Quote from: gonealookin on February 13, 2024, 05:29:57 PM
https://www.kmbc.com/article/kansas-city-royals-will-announce-stadium-location-on-tuesday-afternoon/46758414

Roadgeek aspect to that:  The renderings show that I-670 would be capped as far east as Locust Street, to connect the T-Mobile Center on the north side of the freeway with the new ballpark.  I see that capping the freeway has been discussed extensively but the plans discussed there ended the cap at Grand Avenue on the east.  I'm not knowledgeable about Missouri and don't participate in that subforum; maybe some of the participants there can discuss that if they have recovered from their Chiefs hangovers.
And now this:

https://www.kmbc.com/article/kansas-city-royals-announce-crossroads-location-as-site-for-new-stadium/46772130

A new site has been chosen for the new Royals ballpark in downtown KC. I'm figuring that it would be overkill to have a new Chiefs stadium downtown, so they'll renovate Arrowhead instead. The area certainly would look different without Kauffman Stadium next door, but best of luck to the Royals as they write the next chapter in their rich, storied history.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

triplemultiplex

Decent location.  I'm a big fan of locating baseball stadiums in or near city centers. Since there are so many games every year, you can really build a whole neighborhood around a ballpark.  Plus they are always closer to transit, so fans have options other than driving.

As much as I like tailgating, if a city can improve itself by moving a sports venue inward to anchor a neighborhood, I think that's a fair trade.
That was the debate in the 90's; build Miller Park where it is or find a spot more in the middle of Milwaukee.

If the stars had aligned, they would have ripped out the Park East Freeway and plunked a ballpark down on some of the vacated land, as I see it.  Would have massively jump started redevelopment instead of most of the land laying fallow for years on end once the glorified ramp actually did come down.
Though I'm not sure that specific design would necessarily fit, there's no reason they couldn't have still incorporated some kind of roof.  I look at how quickly things filled in after Fiserv went in and it's like, wow, that could've happened 20 years earlier with a different version of Miller Park.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Henry

Rob Manfred is stepping down as commissioner after the 2029 season.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

mgk920

Quote from: Henry on February 13, 2024, 10:01:38 PM
Quote from: gonealookin on February 13, 2024, 05:29:57 PM

And now this:

https://www.kmbc.com/article/kansas-city-royals-announce-crossroads-location-as-site-for-new-stadium/46772130

A new site has been chosen for the new Royals ballpark in downtown KC. I'm figuring that it would be overkill to have a new Chiefs stadium downtown, so they'll renovate Arrowhead instead. The area certainly would look different without Kauffman Stadium next door, but best of luck to the Royals as they write the next chapter in their rich, storied history.

I'm thinking that the Chiefs and the city should be working on something to mirror the 'Titletown' complex that the Packers are developing by Lambeau Field.

Mike

tmoore952

Quote from: Henry on February 15, 2024, 10:56:32 PM
Rob Manfred is stepping down as commissioner after the 2029 season.

I saw on the ESPN scroll line that he is retiring on Jan. 25, 2029 which would be before the 2029 season.

Big John

Why would such an announcement be made that far ahead of time?  A lot can happen between now and then.

tmoore952

Quote from: Big John on February 17, 2024, 11:55:10 AM
Why would such an announcement be made that far ahead of time?  A lot can happen between now and then.

From what I see, it is a five year contract and he is telling them this is his last contract.

I assume also that it gives potential successors plenty of time to get their current professional lives in order.

EDIT - From Manfred's perspective, it is likely his subtle way of saying - I'm out of here in 2029, no ifs ands or buts.

Hunty2022

I'll post my first start-of-spring-training MLB Standings now:

AL East
Orioles - 97-65
Rays - 91-61
Yankees - 90-72
Blue Jays - 88-74
Red Sox - 77-85

AL Central
Twins - 88-74
Guardians - 86-76
Tigers - 76-86
Royals - 74-88
White Sox - 64-98

AL West
Astros - 95-67
Mariners - 92-70
Rangers - 88-74
Angels - 73-89
Athletics - 63-99

NL East
Braves - 103-59
Phillies - 93-69
Mets - 83-79
Marlins - 82-80
Nationals - 72-90

NL Central
Cubs - 90-72
Reds - 84-78
Cardinals - 83-79
Brewers - 83-79
Pirates - 74-88

NL West
Dodgers - 112-50
Diamondbacks - 87-75
Giants - 81-81
Padres - 78-84
Rockies - 67-95

Playoff Picture:

AL
(1) Orioles
(2) Astros
(3) Twins
(4) Mariners
(5) Rays
(6) Yankees

NL
(1) Dodgers
(2) Braves
(3) Cubs
(4) Phillies
(5) Diamondbacks
(6) Reds
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

Henry

I'm still holding out hope that the Mariners will get to their first World Series, so to borrow a saying from the Friendly Confines of Chicago, hope springs eternal.

epzik8

Fangraphs being weird, picking the Yankees to win the AL East and the Orioles to fall to third...
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

mgk920

It's that time of the year already, but no final score yet, the Brewers started Cactus League action this afternoon!

:cool:

Mike

Flint1979

I just got done ripping Jerry Reinsdorf apart on Facebook and someone is now trying to tell me the following.

He said that since Jerry wouldn't own the ballpark that it would make no sense for him to sell the team.

This was my reply to that: Yes it would have a bearing on the cost/worth of the team. Them playing in a brand new stadium no matter who owns it is going to increase the value of the team, Jerry is trying to get tax payers to pay for it so he doesn't have to, thus increasing the value of the team and he makes more money if he sells. How would you think a team playing in a brand new stadium wouldn't have increased value?

This is his reply to me: Because they don't own the stadium. Apparently you have no basic understanding of business.

So this guy thinks that just because Jerry and the Sox don't own the stadium that it won't increase the value of the team. Could someone please tell me how this makes any sense at all.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Flint1979 on February 26, 2024, 01:08:30 PM
I just got done ripping Jerry Reinsdorf apart on Facebook and someone is now trying to tell me the following.

He said that since Jerry wouldn't own the ballpark that it would make no sense for him to sell the team.

This was my reply to that: Yes it would have a bearing on the cost/worth of the team. Them playing in a brand new stadium no matter who owns it is going to increase the value of the team, Jerry is trying to get tax payers to pay for it so he doesn't have to, thus increasing the value of the team and he makes more money if he sells. How would you think a team playing in a brand new stadium wouldn't have increased value?

This is his reply to me: Because they don't own the stadium. Apparently you have no basic understanding of business.

So this guy thinks that just because Jerry and the Sox don't own the stadium that it won't increase the value of the team. Could someone please tell me how this makes any sense at all.

Getting the state to pay for most/all of the project would increase the value of the team, since they'd not have to make annual payments on the project.

However, the main reason Jerry won't sell the team before he dies is taxes. It costs his family a lot less if his sons sell the team after inheriting it from him.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

KeithE4Phx

Wait a minute.  Jerry doesn't own Guaranteed Rate Field Comiskey Park (II), and never has.  That ballpark is owned by the State of Illinois, and was barely run through the State Legislature (with three minutes to spare) by then-Gov. Jim Thompson in 1987 to keep the Sox from moving to St. Petersburg. 

Now he wants to force the taxpayers of Illinois to give him another park, 37 years after gifting (or is it grifting?) him the current one?  If the State Legislature is stupid enough to build him another park just because the current one isn't in a wealthy neighborhood (see:  Atlanta, and possibly Phoenix), then they're far dumber than I give them credit for. 

No way should they fall for this again.  I'm a lifelong Sox fan, although I no longer live in Illinois, and am stick and tired of Reinsdorf and his money-grubbing.  Reinsdorf should sell the team to somebody that actually understands baseball and Chicago, the latter he's been clueless about since buying the Sox from Bill Veeck in 1981.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

Flint1979

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on February 26, 2024, 11:35:49 PM

Wait a minute.  Jerry doesn't own Guaranteed Rate Field Comiskey Park (II), and never has.  That ballpark is owned by the State of Illinois, and was barely run through the State Legislature (with three minutes to spare) by then-Gov. Jim Thompson in 1987 to keep the Sox from moving to St. Petersburg. 

Now he wants to force the taxpayers of Illinois to give him another park, 37 years after gifting (or is it grifting?) him the current one?  If the State Legislature is stupid enough to build him another park just because the current one isn't in a wealthy neighborhood (see:  Atlanta, and possibly Phoenix), then they're far dumber than I give them credit for. 

No way should they fall for this again.  I'm a lifelong Sox fan, although I no longer live in Illinois, and am stick and tired of Reinsdorf and his money-grubbing.  Reinsdorf should sell the team to somebody that actually understands baseball and Chicago, the latter he's been clueless about since buying the Sox from Bill Veeck in 1981.
The ballpark is owned by ISFA and Jerry has a sweetheart lease on the ballpark. There is nothing wrong with the current ballpark and the people that claim that it's in the hood have no understanding of the hood as it sits right next to the Dan Ryan surrounded by parking lots. I'm a Sox fan too and I've had enough of Reinsdorf to last me a lifetime. I haven't even been to a Sox home game in about 5 or 6 years. You are correct though Reinsdorf is a dinosaur in today's game and really doesn't understand Chicago either.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.