News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

BASE-BALL

Started by corco, October 28, 2011, 12:45:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: Henry on August 09, 2021, 01:57:18 PM
How long before the Ex-Cub Factor takes full effect again? Anthony Rizzo has tested positive for COVID-19...

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/31987292/anthony-rizzo-latest-new-york-yankees-player-test-positive-covid-19

(I don't know how many former Cubs are on the Yankees right now, but from what I hear, if any roster has three or more, it's destined to fail. I remember reading about it a long time ago, which I'm guessing is somewhat related to the Curse of the Billy Goat, the big one that caused Chicago to not win a World Series for 108 years)
The Cubs won a World Series... so...

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: Alps on August 10, 2021, 12:23:21 AM
The Cubs won a World Series... so...
Let's see how long before they'll win another World Series. ;)

Henry

Did anyone catch the first-ever MLB game played on the Field of Dreams diamond? It was apparently a fun game, because the White Sox beat the Yankees on a walk-off homer by Tim Anderson in the bottom of the ninth, the last of eight balls that were hit into the cornfield behind the diamond in front of 7,800-plus people. It was such a hit success that Rob Manfred is planning another game for next year.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Henry on August 13, 2021, 01:11:48 PM
Did anyone catch the first-ever MLB game played on the Field of Dreams diamond? It was apparently a fun game, because the White Sox beat the Yankees on a walk-off homer by Tim Anderson in the bottom of the ninth, the last of eight balls that were hit into the cornfield behind the diamond in front of 7,800-plus people. It was such a hit success that Rob Manfred is planning another game for next year.

I watch about 95% of Sox games, so yes, I saw it. Was very down after the pair of Yankee 2-run homers that overcame a 3 run Sox lead in the top of the 9th but that feeling didn't last long.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: Henry on August 13, 2021, 01:11:48 PM

It was a great game. I'm not even a baseball fan and I enjoyed it. They need to make this an annual tradition.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Roadgeekteen

Every MLB team should play a neutral field game every year.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on August 13, 2021, 02:58:44 PM

It's not as easy as it looked. The schedules were created such that the White Sox and Yankees were playing road series at Minnesota and Kansas City respectively, right before this game so as to minimize the amount of additional travel resulting from the game. Both teams flew in the morning of the game rather than the night before because hotels in Dubuque aren't used to hosting high profile sports teams. Then they get a day off and play two more games in Chicago. That might be hard to replicate 14 more times per season.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: cabiness42 on August 13, 2021, 03:13:33 PM

It's not as easy as it looked. The schedules were created such that the White Sox and Yankees were playing road series at Minnesota and Kansas City respectively, right before this game so as to minimize the amount of additional travel resulting from the game. Both teams flew in the morning of the game rather than the night before because hotels in Dubuque aren't used to hosting high profile sports teams. Then they get a day off and play two more games in Chicago. That might be hard to replicate 14 more times per season.
Maybe play a neutral series. 81 home games is a lot and most MLB teams don't sell out all of their games.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

jeffandnicole

Quote from: cabiness42 on August 13, 2021, 03:13:33 PM

Add in that most non-pro ballparks, stadiums and arenas don't have the locker rooms, dugouts and bullpens equipped for the needs of the players.  They don't have the safety gear.  They don't have the capabilities needed for TV and radio broadcasts.  Sure, all of this can be brought in, but there's a significant cost to make it all work.

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on August 13, 2021, 03:20:12 PM
Maybe play a neutral series. 81 home games is a lot and most MLB teams don't sell out all of their games.

Most MLB teams never sell out any of their games, except maybe the season opener and one or two games with an extra-special event going on.  If teams wanted sellouts every night, they'll play in minor-league sized ballparks. 

Then think about it...if a local market can't sell out their games, what chance some some random ballpark in some random area have at filling up a ballpark to watch two teams they may not have much interest in?

Even with last night's event, 7,800 people reportedly were at the game. Only 2 teams have averaged less than that in this imperfect year of feeling safe next to each other...and one of those teams is the Blue Jays, who haven't even played at home until recently.  (BTW, here's the overall attendance records so far this year: https://www.espn.com/mlb/attendance )

And if you want to believe this article written by a local paper, it wasn't even locals that made up that 7,800 at the game.  https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/baseball/2021/08/13/field-of-dreams-new-york-yankees-chicago-white-sox-perfection-kevin-costner-mlb-dyersville-iowa/5565683001/

Neutral sites rarely grab the attention of fans.  It works for the Superbowl because of how hyped up people are when it comes to Football overall.  There's been a few neutral site outdoor hockey games, although neutral may be an overstatement as usually at least one of the teams is still playing where their fan base draws from.  But gravitate away from those few, fairly exclusive events, and, well, there's a reason why games don't occur on neutral sites.

1995hoo

^^^^

The NHL had a series of indoor neutral-site games a season for two years in the early 1990s when they played an 84-game season as part of the agreement that settled the brief 1992 players' strike. It wasn't all that popular and didn't work well on the whole. Some venues had reasonable crowds, typically if the venue was in a location where there would be natural interest in certain teams, but some matchups were just plain old random and odd (the Islanders and Edmonton playing in Oklahoma City, for example, or Buffalo and Pittsburgh in Sacramento). There has to be something compelling either about the matchup or some other sort of gimmick. Last night it was the gimmick that made it work (and I don't mean "gimmick" in a pejorative sense, either). The key for MLB is not to go overboard in response to its success.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 13, 2021, 10:18:35 PM
^^^^

The NHL had a series of indoor neutral-site games a season for two years in the early 1990s when they played an 84-game season as part of the agreement that settled the brief 1992 players' strike. It wasn't all that popular and didn't work well on the whole. Some venues had reasonable crowds, typically if the venue was in a location where there would be natural interest in certain teams, but some matchups were just plain old random and odd (the Islanders and Edmonton playing in Oklahoma City, for example, or Buffalo and Pittsburgh in Sacramento). There has to be something compelling either about the matchup or some other sort of gimmick. Last night it was the gimmick that made it work (and I don't mean "gimmick" in a pejorative sense, either). The key for MLB is not to go overboard in response to its success.
For the MLB, they can play a series in their AAA ballpark.

jp the roadgeek

^^^^

Well, you had the London series between the Red Sox and Yankees a couple years ago.  The dunb thing is that both games counted as Red Sox home games instead of 1 and 1.  Taking away 2 home dates at Fenway is actually huge in comparison to say, Kansas City or Pittsburgh.  Another thing you'll notice is that larger market teams will tend to play more separate admission doubleheaders for make up games rather than the straight twi-nighter single admission ones because they stand to lose a lot more by not getting that extra gate.

As for those NHL neutral site games: they were a half-hearted attempt to spread the game to untapped markets.  I seem to recall a Whalers-Blues game in Saskatoon🤣
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on August 13, 2021, 10:30:10 PM
^^^^

For the MLB, they can play a series in their AAA ballpark.

That doesn't make sense for some teams like the Twins, since their AAA team is now in St. Paul.

The Oakland Coliseum is nicer under the hood than the nicest AAA park.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

NWI_Irish96

The Field of Dreams game worked because of the immensely popular movie it was associated with. That doesn't translate to success in having major league games in other random places.

triplemultiplex

Gotta say, one of the most pleasant things about that Field of Dreams game was the background drone of crickets and cicadas that really gave it a different vibe.  Very chill.  Plus a good game for a general fan without a horse in the race.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Flint1979

I wish the Sox could have at least won the series against the Yankees. Seriously they have been playing like a .500 team since about the beginning of June, at least they had that good record in May or else they might be at about .500 right now. And after looking that up they are 35-29 since the beginning of June. Not really good for a team that is supposedly one of the best team in the American League.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on August 13, 2021, 10:34:20 PM
As for those NHL neutral site games: they were a half-hearted attempt to spread the game to untapped markets.  I seem to recall a Whalers-Blues game in Saskatoon🤣

And to think the Blues was this close to move to Saskatoon in 1983.
https://saskatoon.ctvnews.ca/the-saskatoon-blues-a-wild-dream-that-almost-became-real-1.4703733

Back to baseball, I wonder what if the World Series was disputed in an neutral site like the Super Bowl?

tchafe1978

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on August 31, 2021, 09:11:58 AM

https://saskatoon.ctvnews.ca/the-saskatoon-blues-a-wild-dream-that-almost-became-real-1.4703733

Back to baseball, I wonder what if the World Series was disputed in an neutral site like the Super Bowl?

Last year's World Series was played at a neutral site in Arlington, Texas due to Covid, with the Dodgers beating the Rays. I doubt a neutral site World Series would ever happen again under normal circumstances. The draw of teams playing in their home fields is too great.

1995hoo

Quote from: tchafe1978 on August 31, 2021, 10:02:02 AM
Quote from: Stephane Dumas on August 31, 2021, 09:11:58 AM

Last year's World Series was played at a neutral site in Arlington, Texas due to Covid, with the Dodgers beating the Rays. I doubt a neutral site World Series would ever happen again under normal circumstances. The draw of teams playing in their home fields is too great.

Also note that the most recent Super Bowl was not at a true neutral site, although Tampa Bay didn't really have home-field advantage because of COVID-related capacity limits. Even if they'd had full capacity, the NFL controls the ticket sales, not the home team, so you wouldn't have your normal crowd there. It's simply been a fluke, on the whole, that no prior team had ever played a Super Bowl in its home stadium, especially now that the NFL is no longer putting the game in "non-NFL" stadiums in a given metropolitan area. That is, for example, a couple of Super Bowls were played in the Rose Bowl, and the Los Angeles Rams played in (and lost) one of those (Super Bowl XIV), but it wasn't their home stadium (at the time, the Coliseum was). The next Super Bowl in LA is this coming February and it's to be held in the new NFL stadium there. The other "close to home team" to play in a Super Bowl was San Francisco, who played in (and won) Super Bowl XIX at Stanford Stadium. That stadium wouldn't be considered now because it's been demolished and rebuilt with a seating capacity that's far too low to satisfy NFL requirements for Super Bowl host venues. But until last year, those two were the closest any team ever came to being a true "home team" in a Super Bowl.

(Of course, it helped that some Super Bowl host venues house teams that are not frequent playoff contenders–Detroit/Pontiac has hosted two, Glendale/Tempe has hosted three and will host a fourth after the 2022 season, Houston has hosted three. It so happens that Detroit and Houston are two of the four NFL cities whose home teams have never made the Super Bowl at all, although Houston's old franchise finally made it after moving to Nashville.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

NWI_Irish96

The Super Bowl is one game that plenty of fans want to go to regardless of who's playing so they can play it anywhere.

The World Series is a 4-7 game series that's much more reliant on fans of the participating teams so you need home teams for the games.

Henry

There will be another Field of Dreams game next year, with my Cubs taking on the Reds. Unfortunately, Cincinnati will play the host, which means that both participants in the disgraced 1919 World Series will have been the home team.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Henry on September 03, 2021, 08:19:18 PM
There will be another Field of Dreams game next year, with my Cubs taking on the Reds. Unfortunately, Cincinnati will play the host, which means that both participants in the disgraced 1919 World Series will have been the home team.

The 1919 Sox are a big part of the movie, thus those teams as participants.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: Henry on September 03, 2021, 08:19:18 PM

Why is that unfortunate? As far as I'm aware, Cincinnati did nothing wrong.
I-290   I-294   I-55   (I-74)   (I-72)   I-40   I-30   US-59   US-190   TX-30   TX-6

kevinb1994

Speaking of potential new baseball stadium sites across the country, the Royals may decide to move downtown from their longtime spot at the Truman Sports Complex:

https://news.yahoo.com/royals-evaluate-stadium-options-downtown-202417668.html

Though talks like this from the Royals aren't new according to the article. They tried to make a pitch in the early 2000s for a new downtown ballpark, that would have been right near T-Mobile Arena is in what is now the Power & Light District, only to end up with renovations to the existing stadium (Kauffman) after a vote in April 2006. This was obviously before the Great Recession which may have made building a new stadium less desirable for a time.

Henry

Quote from: kevinb1994 on September 15, 2021, 01:24:08 PM
Speaking of potential new baseball stadium sites across the country, the Royals may decide to move downtown from their longtime spot at the Truman Sports Complex:

https://news.yahoo.com/royals-evaluate-stadium-options-downtown-202417668.html

Though talks like this from the Royals aren't new according to the article. They tried to make a pitch in the early 2000s for a new downtown ballpark, that would have been right near T-Mobile Arena is in what is now the Power & Light District, only to end up with renovations to the existing stadium (Kauffman) after a vote in April 2006. This was obviously before the Great Recession which may have made building a new stadium less desirable for a time.
There certainly is no shortage of potential new parks across the country, with Nashville, Portland, Las Vegas and Montreal being high on the MLB wishlist. Those would certainly be great homes for either relocated or expansion teams, seeing that the former is more likely to happen now with the Rays and A's seeking a new site to build their next home fields. Hopefully, the Royals will incorporate some of the same features that made Kauffman Stadium famous into the new park, namely its logo scoreboard and the waterfalls in the outfield. And although the article does not mention the Chiefs outside playing in Arrowhead next door, I suspect that they, too, will want to build their own new stadium in a few years.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.