News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

BASE-BALL

Started by corco, October 28, 2011, 12:45:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowc

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on March 13, 2022, 03:28:41 PM
Quote from: cabiness42 on March 13, 2022, 01:12:07 PM
Quote from: snowc on March 13, 2022, 01:10:16 PM
Thank you, God! We finally have baseball. After 2 and 1/2 months we finally got something to watch!  :clap:
Quick Question: When is spring training?  :confused:

Players have already reported. First games are Thursday.

Three games in AZ:  Cubs vs White Sox split squad, one game in Mesa, the other in Glendale, plus Diamondbacks vs Rockies in Scottsdale
One in Florida:  Twins vs Red Sox in Ft. Myers.
Good games, who do you thinks gonna win those?  :hmmm:

ran4sh

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 11, 2022, 08:29:05 AM
https://twitter.com/jareddiamond/status/1502062106862137351

Why bother having divisions and leagues at all if you're going to do this? Just have a single table and a 174-game schedule in which every team plays every other team three times at home and three times on the road (29 x 6 = 174).

I agree. I would have at least preferred that they do a realignment before changing the schedule format. Bc once the schedule is changed to the new format, there will be opposition to make another major change soon after that.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

Buck87

Quote from: ran4sh on March 13, 2022, 05:00:17 PM
I would have at least preferred that they do a realignment before changing the schedule format. Bc once the schedule is changed to the new format, there will be opposition to make another major change soon after that.

I saw one talking head say that this schedule change could be a step in the direction of a major realignment at the next CBA. Said a realignment now would have been too much change too soon to get into the CBA they just agreed to, but that embracing a more balanced schedule for several years could help grease the works/be a transition to an eventual end to the AL/NL setup in favor of an East/West setup when the next CBA comes up.

Also, worth noting that a realignment probably shouldn't happen until after MLB figures out for sure if they are going to expand to 32....and that the expansion question can't be fully addressed until the Oakland and Tampa Bay stadium situations get sorted out so that it's known which markets will/won't have a team before adding more. 

gr8daynegb

Braves appear to be trading for Olsen from the A's....Freeman leaving then?

Donaldson being traded from Twin's to Yankees

Brewers thinking about signing Andrew McCutchen(I'm a Brewers fan, so this makes the list)

To name a few stories.  Glad to have Hot Stove back
So Lone Star now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Buck87

Quote from: Buck87 on March 11, 2022, 10:35:53 AM
A possible format for playing everyone at least once within a 162 game schedule:

56 divisional games (4 x 14)
60 non division league games (10 x 6)
42 non rival interleague games (14 x 3)
4 rival interleague games (2 home, 2 away)
I didn't see it until now, but mlb.com did post an article confirming the above format beginning in 2023.

https://www.mlb.com/news/more-interleague-games-on-balanced-schedule

Henry

Kris Bryant is now in Colorado, Kyle Schwarber went to Philly, Javier Baez is on the Tigers, and Anthony Rizzo is staying with the Yankees...

As for the Cubs, they're looking to land the next Shohei Ohtani with this newest Japanese import:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/33517260/chicago-cubs-seiya-suzuki-agree-five-year-70m-deal-source-confirms

The name Suzuki has become a well-known name in MLB, since it was the last name of Ichiro, who may be the second-greatest Mariner ever (behind Ken Griffey Jr., of course).
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

triplemultiplex

Quote from: gr8daynegb on March 14, 2022, 06:43:14 PM
Brewers thinking about signing Andrew McCutchen(I'm a Brewers fan, so this makes the list)

Internet tells me the Crew only signed McCutchen because of the new DH rule.  He'll fit in nicely with an offense where all the big names are past their prime. :P
(Prove me wrong this season, Yellie! Please?)
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

1995hoo

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 11, 2022, 12:05:42 PM
^^^^

I was at a game in Baltimore in 1993 when that happened. Baltimore's backup catcher was the DH but the starting catcher had to leave the game after getting hit in the side of the head by a bat or something similar. Most of the people attending were absolutely baffled when relief pitcher Gregg Olson came up to bat late in the game (and simply looked at three straight pitches) because you didn't see that happen very often.

I somewhat wonder whether at some point MLB might adopt the NCAA's version of the DH rule now that they've forced peewee rules on the National League. The NCAA rule would suit a guy like Ohtani pretty well. A player can be in the lineup in two positions, pitcher and DH, and if he is removed as the pitcher he can stay in the game as the DH (but he then cannot return to the mound, and if he takes another fielding position when leaving the mound, the DH role terminates like it does in MLB). I believe MLB used that rule in last year's All-Star Game. Some people complained, but since the game didn't count for anything, it didn't really matter.

Seems they have indeed decided to adopt the NCAA-style DH rule, although most likely it'll only affect Ohtani. They're also reinstating the automatic runner on second in extra innings, due primarily to the truncated spring training.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: triplemultiplex on March 17, 2022, 07:14:22 PM

Internet tells me the Crew only signed McCutchen because of the new DH rule.  He'll fit in nicely with an offense where all the big names are past their prime. :P

Same reason why the Nats signed Nelson Cruz.  No way he'll play the field at his age.  The DH in the NL now makes you wonder what the careers of Big Papi and Edgar Martinez would have been like if they had the option of signing with NL teams during their careers.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Henry

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on March 23, 2022, 09:05:49 AM

Same reason why the Nats signed Nelson Cruz.  No way he'll play the field at his age.  The DH in the NL now makes you wonder what the careers of Big Papi and Edgar Martinez would have been like if they had the option of signing with NL teams during their careers.
Frank Thomas in the NL would've been another interesting storyline, but it is what it is. This new setup is reminiscent of the old Bases Loaded games that kids used to play in the late 80s and early 90s (where both the fictitious Eastern and Western Leagues used the DH, and I believe later games based their teams on real-life MLB clubs, albeit without the actual rosters at the time).
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

KCRoadFan

I've read that the American and National Leagues were once officially separate entities (with regards to things like umpiring crews, etc.) until about 2000, at which point they were combined into a new Major League Baseball entity. The only way they differed was that the AL had the DH and the NL did not. Because that distinction is now gone, I've seen some chatter online positing that baseball might drop the NL and AL designations entirely and reorganize itself into a structure more like the NBA or NHL, with an Eastern and Western Conference (presumably each consisting of three five-team divisions). Do you think this will actually happen, and would you like to see it happen? Also, how would the teams be arranged?

Flint1979

Quote from: KCRoadFan on March 25, 2022, 10:18:11 AM
I've read that the American and National Leagues were once officially separate entities (with regards to things like umpiring crews, etc.) until about 2000, at which point they were combined into a new Major League Baseball entity. The only way they differed was that the AL had the DH and the NL did not. Because that distinction is now gone, I've seen some chatter online positing that baseball might drop the NL and AL designations entirely and reorganize itself into a structure more like the NBA or NHL, with an Eastern and Western Conference (presumably each consisting of three five-team divisions). Do you think this will actually happen, and would you like to see it happen? Also, how would the teams be arranged?
That is true they had AL and NL umpires, an AL president and NL president too. And to answer the question you asked no I would not like to see that happen. Baseball has been tinkered with enough and the AL and NL are historic to the game so I would be against that.

NWI_Irish96

I think there will be realignment, but I don't think there will be new conferences or leagues. I think they'll just go with six 5-team divisions.

Northeast: Jays, Red Sox, Yankees, Mets, Phillies
Southeast: Orioles, Nationals, Braves, Rays, Marlins
Mideast: Pirates, Reds, Indians, Tigers, White Sox
Midwest: Cubs, Brewers, Twins, Cardinals, Royals
Southwest: Astros, Rangers, D-backs, Padres, Rockies
West: Dodgers, Angels, A's, Giants, Mariners

Playoffs are just seeded 1-12 overall instead of 1-6 in each league
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

jeffandnicole

Quote from: cabiness42 on March 25, 2022, 02:27:52 PM

I think there will be realignment, but I don't think there will be new conferences or leagues. I think they'll just go with six 5-team divisions.

There wouldn't be a single baseball fan happen with such a drastic realignment.

And your paragraph 3 will make the Divisions meaningless.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 25, 2022, 04:56:04 PM

And your paragraph 3 will make the Divisions meaningless.

Divisions wouldn't be meaningless. Division winners would still get seeded 1-6.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Alps

I hope it doesn't come to pass. The Yankees-Mets rivalry will be greatly diminished by them being in t... wait, maybe it won't be. I don't know!

jp the roadgeek

The Brewers would be put in the Mideast so that the White Sox and Cubs would be in the same division (as would the Cubs and Cardinals).
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Takumi

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 25, 2022, 04:56:04 PM

You must not know any Orioles fans. I'll gladly take the hypothetical Southeast opponents over the current meat grinder that is the AL East.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: Alps on March 25, 2022, 05:13:58 PM
I hope it doesn't come to pass. The Yankees-Mets rivalry will be greatly diminished by them being in t... wait, maybe it won't be. I don't know!

Depends of how their menagers will lead the teams. There was once a time when the rivalry in the NHL between the Montreal Canadiens and Toronto Maple Leafs was very big but it has lost its zest when the NHL expanded from the "Original Six" to 12, then 14,16, 21 and now 32 and also how Harold Ballard menaged the Leafs in the late 1970s and 1980s.

Henry

Albert Pujols is back in St. Louis!

(While I hate the Cardinals, I'm glad that he's back where he started his career, and it's such a great thing to know that they still love him there, even when he played for other teams. Hopefully, they can send him off with a third and final World Series ring, since my Cubs are nowhere close to competing for one anytime soon.)

ilpt4u

I've always wandered why the NFL never eliminated the old AFL/NFL distinction, now known as AFC/NFC, and went to straight geographic Conferences, as was the case pre-Merger for both the NFL and the AFL

The best I heard was always due to "Rivalries"  - if that is legitimately why the NFL never did it, I highly doubt MLB will do it. Of course, the NFL still sells the Sunday TV and Playoff TV Rights based on AFC/NFC affiliation, so the TV $$$ is another reason. Then again, the travel needs and budget of MLB clubs is much higher than NFL clubs, so maybe it would be more appropriate for baseball, and MLB has uniform TV contracts for National games, and each club has individual TV deals for Local broadcasts, so reorganization wouldn't affect the TV Rights $$$ nearly as much for MLB

Roadgeekteen

Albert Pujos back on the Cardinals
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

gr8daynegb

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on March 23, 2022, 09:05:49 AM

Think McCutchen will play about 20% of his games played as a fielder.  Mostly because they'll be games they have to hide Huira's defense but start someone else at 1B and 2B, and Yelich and Cain(Mostly Cain) need time to sit and rest for the long haul.  He's still there to mostly DH, but roster as it's built has too many guys that either need rest or are a liability on defense to have Cutch be a DH only.
So Lone Star now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

webny99

Henry

According to FiveThirtyEight, the Cubs will finish 75-87. But at least this time I won't have to worry about losing anymore, because at least I'll always have those great memories of 2016.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.