News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

BASE-BALL

Started by corco, October 28, 2011, 12:45:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flint1979

All those cities that the White Sox threatened to move to have MLB teams now.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: Flint1979 on September 01, 2023, 08:53:41 PM
Let's see if the White Sox threaten to move to Montreal. :P

kurumi

The M's are 26-8 since July 24; nice

And the Royals and A's have been bottom-dwelling brothers, below every other team in games above .500, since April 29.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Flint1979

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on September 02, 2023, 01:42:12 PM
They can threaten all they want they will never leave Chicago. I don't think it would get approved anyway.

ET21

Quote from: Flint1979 on September 02, 2023, 08:05:04 PM
They can threaten all they want they will never leave Chicago. I don't think it would get approved anyway.

Apparently Jerry wants to go to Nashville, but Nashville doesn't want them  :-D They want to start a new franchise.

What a shitshow of a franchise, would be the worst run baseball team in 2023 if it wasn't for the A's saga though the Royals are just as bad
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Henry

You know, we would've said the same thing about the Giants and Dodgers when both teams were in New York (or, for the latter, Brooklyn), and they still bolted for California. It's funny how often we take things for granted, only to lose them in the end.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Flint1979

Quote from: ET21 on September 04, 2023, 11:43:10 AM
Let's see if the White Sox threaten to move to Montreal.

Apparently Jerry wants to go to Nashville, but Nashville doesn't want them  :-D They want to start a new franchise.

What a shitshow of a franchise, would be the worst run baseball team in 2023 if it wasn't for the A's saga though the Royals are just as bad
The Mets really aren't ran well either but I eah Jerry is an ass not a fan friendly owner at all.

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: Flint1979 on September 04, 2023, 09:31:16 PM
Quote from: ET21 on September 04, 2023, 11:43:10 AM
Let's see if the White Sox threaten to move to Montreal.

The Mets really aren't ran well either but I eah Jerry is an ass not a fan friendly owner at all.

True. Let us not forget the other team Reinsdorf owns in another sport.

Henry

No surprise here, the Braves were the first to clinch, and it's their 26th division title overall, the most ever. (Take that, Yankees and Dodgers!)
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Flint1979

Quote from: Henry on September 15, 2023, 10:36:30 PM
No surprise here, the Braves were the first to clinch, and it's their 26th division title overall, the most ever. (Take that, Yankees and Dodgers!)
I know in the Yankees case they are in a much tougher division historically and the Yankees have won that division 20 times. The Braves only have two titles for all those division titles. Major choke artists in the postseason.

epzik8

Shame about Shohei Ohtani. The Angels need to send him elsewhere during the offseason.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: epzik8 on September 16, 2023, 03:26:10 PM
Shame about Shohei Ohtani. The Angels need to send him elsewhere during the offseason.

He will be a free agent. He can send himself anywhere he wants.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Ted$8roadFan

That the Angels have both Mike Trout and Shohei Ohtani and have thoroughly mismanaged both is criminal.

Henry

Add the Dodgers, Orioles and Rays to the postseason party! I'm happy for Baltimore, which has its first appearance since 2016 (coincidentally the same season that saw the end of the Billy Goat Curse and a 108-year championship drought for a certain favorite team of mine).

Ted$8roadFan

Last week, the Boston Red Sox fired Chaim Bloom, their Chief Baseball Officer. He had done a decent job restocking the farm system, but made other questionable and unpopular moves (trading Mookie Betts). But the straw that broke the camel's back was the number of fans from opposing teams who showed at Fenway when the Dodgers played the Sox, and when Yankees-Red Sox tickets allegedly sold for pennies on the dollar (relatively speaking). 

Henry

So far, seven teams have been eliminated from postseason contention:

Angels
Athletics
Cardinals
Nationals
Rockies
Royals
White Sox

gonealookin

Quote from: Henry on September 18, 2023, 11:00:35 PM
I'm happy for Baltimore, which has its first appearance since 2016 (coincidentally the same season that saw the end of the Billy Goat Curse and a 108-year championship drought for a certain favorite team of mine).

It's certainly great for Orioles fans who have watched some dreadfully hideous baseball for most of this century.  The team basically tanked for draft position for several years, and that Kevin Brown fiasco a couple months ago reminded a lot of us that some of the people at the top of the organization are an embarrassment to themselves, the city and Major League Baseball.

Flint1979

It's kind of crazy that the Nationals won the 2019 World Series and they haven't had a season where they have finished over .500 or at .500 since.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: Flint1979 on September 20, 2023, 08:55:08 AM
It's kind of crazy that the Nationals won the 2019 World Series and they haven't had a season where they have finished over .500 or at .500 since.

Change that to the Royals and 2015 and other than finishing at .500 in 2016, they've been (way) under ever since. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

triplemultiplex

That's what can happen when a team goes "all in" for one season.  They deplete their farm system in trades and blow a lot of cash on short contracts for free agents. It leaves them wanting for resources for many seasons after.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Flint1979

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on September 20, 2023, 10:00:35 AM

Change that to the Royals and 2015 and other than finishing at .500 in 2016, they've been (way) under ever since.
Yeah them too but they kind of came out of nowhere and had a three year run then went back to their normal ways again. With the Nationals they had been good for awhile and then fell off the tank after winning.

Henry

Quote from: Henry on September 19, 2023, 11:56:38 PM
So far, seven teams have been eliminated from postseason contention:

Angels
Athletics
Cardinals
Nationals
Rockies
Royals
White Sox
Now it's up to eight, with the Red Sox out of the running.

Takumi

Quote from: gonealookin on September 20, 2023, 12:14:45 AM
Quote from: Henry on September 18, 2023, 11:00:35 PM
I'm happy for Baltimore, which has its first appearance since 2016 (coincidentally the same season that saw the end of the Billy Goat Curse and a 108-year championship drought for a certain favorite team of mine).

It's certainly great for Orioles fans who have watched some dreadfully hideous baseball for most of this century.  The team basically tanked for draft position for several years, and that Kevin Brown fiasco a couple months ago reminded a lot of us that some of the people at the top of the organization are an embarrassment to themselves, the city and Major League Baseball.

The conspiracy theorist in me thinks that the Kevin Brown thing had something bigger behind it, like a salary dispute. Don't get me wrong, JA is a moron, and should sell the team when it's feasible, but I think there was more there than we'll ever know about.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

tmoore952

I live near DC and am a Nats fan. I'm not surprised.
They won right at the end of their window.
Corbin lost his touch.
Strasburg (save for 31 innings or so) never pitched again.
Management decided not to pay Rendon, Soto, Turner (I'm probably forgetting some others - Harper also although they did win wo him)
Scherzer was (and is) at the end of his career (always injured).
Ryan Zimmerman also at the end of his career (he didn't play in 2020 due to pandemic, then I believe retired wo ever playing again).

They should have had a season with all sellouts in 2020 (with the resulting revenue) but that didn't happen. I realize every other team had the same problem, but every other team had not won the WS in 2019.

What bugs me now is that there are definitely signs of improvement, but I don't know if the management will make the necessary moves to supplement the young players that are coming up.

The other thing, is that it was reported that the Lerners were looking to sell, but in the last few weeks they extended the contracts of both the manager (Davey Martinez) and the general manager (Mike Rizzo). These actions make me think that a sale is NOT imminent. I am not surprised by this either. I doubt there will be much buyer interest until the MASN thing with the Orioles (regarding TV money) gets resolved.

tmoore952

Quote from: triplemultiplex on September 20, 2023, 11:01:36 AM
That's what can happen when a team goes "all in" for one season.  They deplete their farm system in trades and blow a lot of cash on short contracts for free agents. It leaves them wanting for resources for many seasons after.

They didn't really go "all in". That was a 7 to 10 year process with several excruciating playoff losses in there (2012, 2014, 2016 -- all of them made me pull my hair out). They did get some free agents, but not a ton of them, but --- that's what happens when a team thinks they are close. The more accurate answer is that they won at the end of their window (see the post right above here where I address that).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.