News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Splitting states

Started by Revive 755, March 17, 2009, 10:51:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkt

Quote from: ran4sh on May 11, 2021, 09:58:36 PM
Quote from: kkt on May 11, 2021, 09:13:59 PM

Yes.  For that matter, if statehood for DC passed, repealing the 23rd amendment should be accomplished pretty quickly.  I can't imagine who'd want to keep it once DC was properly represented.

You sure about that? Amendments are "kept" by default, it takes a new amendment (which requires 3/4 the states) to repeal a previous amendment. So it only takes 13 Democrat states to block the repeal.

I know, but I trust the Democratic states' sense of fair play.

ran4sh

Quote from: kkt on May 11, 2021, 11:31:49 PM

Yes.  For that matter, if statehood for DC passed, repealing the 23rd amendment should be accomplished pretty quickly.  I can't imagine who'd want to keep it once DC was properly represented.

You sure about that? Amendments are "kept" by default, it takes a new amendment (which requires 3/4 the states) to repeal a previous amendment. So it only takes 13 Democrat states to block the repeal.

That makes 1 of us.

Quote from: vdeane on May 11, 2021, 10:34:51 PM
They're not losing any rights. Under my suggestion, they would not be taxed, and since they are not taxed, they cannot claim a right to federal representation.
Do you honestly think taxation is the only way in which the federal government impacts a person's life?  As long as the government impacts one's life in any way, shape, or form, no matter how small, one should have a say in how that government is run.  In other words, the right to vote and fair representation.

Using that argument, foreigners should be allowed representation in the US federal government due to how US government affects the rest of the world.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: ran4sh on May 12, 2021, 01:51:13 AM
Quote from: kkt on May 11, 2021, 11:31:49 PM

That makes 1 of us.

Quote from: vdeane on May 11, 2021, 10:34:51 PM
They're not losing any rights. Under my suggestion, they would not be taxed, and since they are not taxed, they cannot claim a right to federal representation.
Do you honestly think taxation is the only way in which the federal government impacts a person's life?  As long as the government impacts one's life in any way, shape, or form, no matter how small, one should have a say in how that government is run.  In other words, the right to vote and fair representation.

Using that argument, foreigners should be allowed representation in the US federal government due to how US government affects the rest of the world.
Foreigners are not the same as US citizens living in the US.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kphoger

Quote from: kphoger on May 11, 2021, 04:20:30 PM
Mexico has three Senators (upper house) from each federal entity (31 states + Mexico City).  Of the three per federal entity, two are elected, and one is assigned from the runner-up party within that entity.  In addition, there are 32 Senators who represent the country as a whole, whose political makeup is distributed based on the vote breakdown.

Mexico has 500 Deputies (lower house).  300 of those are elected by electoral district.  The other 200 are assigned based on the vote breakdown, based on five larger-than-state electoral regions, each of which has 40 seats.

Quote from: ran4sh on May 11, 2021, 07:12:58 PM

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 11, 2021, 04:53:16 PM
That seems kind of complicated, but I really like the idea of having a third senator from the non-majority party for each state. It would be nice having a way to guarantee that, e.g. Republicans in California and Democrats in Oklahoma have a say.

The problem is that independents and 3rd-party members still get screwed.

But that's a separate issue.  For example, the Senate in Mexico currently has members from seven political parties, plus one Independent.  The Chamber of Deputies currently has members from eight political parties, plus four Independents.

Quote from: hbelkins on May 11, 2021, 08:25:58 PM

Quote from: 1 on May 11, 2021, 12:41:46 PM

Quote from: hbelkins on May 11, 2021, 12:35:42 PM
I'm one of those who's against DC statehood, and am in the camp of those who think that if the residents of that city want to be in a state, they should go back to Maryland the same way Arlington did to Virginia.

But I saw it expressed upthread that doing so would set up a power struggle with Baltimore for control of the state.

That's nothing new. Albany vs. NYC. Chicago vs. Springfield. Charlotte vs. Raleigh (and the Triad vs. the Triangle). Memphis vs. Nashville. Richmond vs. Hampton Roads vs. NoVa.

You've said before (not sure if it's from this year or not) that you are open to Puerto Rico being a state, unlike DC. Is this still true?

Only if they abandon Spanish and adopt English as a semi-official language.

What do you mean by "abandon Spanish"?  Do you mean they all have to stop speaking it?  Or just that they have to stop having two official languages?

If the first, then did you know three states are currently more than 25% Spanish-speaking?  Should they lose their statehood just because of what language the people living there happen to speak?  What if one of them were to cross the 50% threshold?

If the second, then did you know three states currently have more than one official language?  Should Hawaii lose its statehood just because Hawaiian is co-official with English?  South Dakota, because Sioux?  For the first 29 years of California's statehood, all government provisions were required to be published in both Spanish and English–effectively making both languages co-official.  Do you think California shouldn't have been admitted until that section was removed?  Delaware, the first state of the Union, has no official language at all;  should it lose its statehood?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

NWI_Irish96

I'm one of those who's against DC statehood, and am in the camp of those who think that if the residents of that city want to be in a state, they should go back to Maryland the same way Arlington did to Virginia.

But I saw it expressed upthread that doing so would set up a power struggle with Baltimore for control of the state.

That's nothing new. Albany vs. NYC. Chicago vs. Springfield. Charlotte vs. Raleigh (and the Triad vs. the Triangle). Memphis vs. Nashville. Richmond vs. Hampton Roads vs. NoVa.

You've said before (not sure if it's from this year or not) that you are open to Puerto Rico being a state, unlike DC. Is this still true?

Puerto Rico was a Spanish colony for 400 years before being transferred to the US. Who are we to tell people to abandon the language they've been speaking for that long?

I would point out that statements like that are borderline racist, except remove the word borderline.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

kphoger

Quote from: cabiness42 on May 12, 2021, 10:15:07 AM
I would point out that statements like that are borderline racist, except remove the word borderline.

Only inasmuch as language=race.

I believe it's discriminatory but not racist.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

GaryV

What if in the enabling legislation to admit DC as a state, there were words to the effect that it didn't take effect until the 23rd Amendment was repealed by 3/4's of the states?

Or then would 13 Republican states block it so there weren't 2 more senators?

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: GaryV on May 12, 2021, 11:20:26 AM
What if in the enabling legislation to admit DC as a state, there were words to the effect that it didn't take effect until the 23rd Amendment was repealed by 3/4's of the states?

Or then would 13 Republican states block it so there weren't 2 more senators?
The republicans would block it for sure.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

empirestate

Puerto Rico was a Spanish colony for 400 years before being transferred to the US. Who are we to tell people to abandon the language they've been speaking for that long?

Oh, no borderline about it. If there's one thing you can say about the current discourse, it's that people have largely given up trying to hide or make excuses for this kind of viewpoint, since it has become so widely acceptable. That's...something, I guess!

And of course, let's not forget that Spanish became prevalent in the Americas for extremely racist reasons as well, so it's not as if either language is any more worthy in that respect.

Quote from: kphoger on May 12, 2021, 10:31:16 AM

The two are very intimately tied together, indeed.

kphoger

Quote from: empirestate on May 12, 2021, 11:49:12 AM

Then we should assume HB is perfectly fine with white persons speaking Spanish?
Male pronouns, please.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kphoger on May 12, 2021, 11:59:20 AM
Quote from: empirestate on May 12, 2021, 11:49:12 AM

Then we should assume HB is perfectly fine with white persons speaking Spanish?
Race does not correlate with color. Would you say that it's impossible to be racist against a Jewish person?

kphoger

De este momento, voy a escribir en español en este hilo, solo para enojar a |hbelkins|.   :sombrero:

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 12, 2021, 12:03:12 PM
Race does not correlate with color. Would you say that it's impossible to be racist against a Jewish person?

Racism against Jews is a tricky one.  I honestly haven't solidly come down on one side of the debate.  And this is partly because, as I understand it, it's a debate within Judaism:  some Jews consider Judaism a religion, others a race/ethnicity, and others both at the same time.
Male pronouns, please.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kphoger on May 12, 2021, 12:08:27 PM
De este momento, voy a escribir en español en este hilo, solo para enojar a |hbelkins|.   :sombrero:

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 12, 2021, 12:03:12 PM

Racism against Jews is a tricky one.  I honestly haven't solidly come down on one side of the debate.  And this is partly because, as I understand it, it's a debate within Judaism:  some Jews consider Judaism a religion, others a race/ethnicity, and others both at the same time.
Fine, use bigoted then.

kphoger

I just don't know why anyone cares what language people speak.  I at least understand people's concerns about illegal immigration, even if I don't agree with all of them, and their concerns about immigration in general–but how does someone else's language of choice affect you in any way?
Male pronouns, please.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kphoger on May 12, 2021, 12:13:09 PM
I just don't know why anyone cares what language people speak.  I at least understand people's concerns about illegal immigration, even if I don't agree with all of them, and their concerns about immigration in general–but how does someone else's language of choice affect you in any way?
It doesn't affect me. I'm just stating what words I would use, you can use what you want.

kphoger

I didn't mean you specifically.  I meant in general.
Male pronouns, please.

kkt

Hawaiian is an official language alongside English in Hawaii.  Should Hawaii never have been admitted to the U.S.?  Or is it a special dislike for Spanish?

hbelkins

Quote from: kkt on May 12, 2021, 12:40:14 PM
Hawaiian is an official language alongside English in Hawaii.  Should Hawaii never have been admitted to the U.S.?  Or is it a special dislike for Spanish?

But which language is predominately used in everyday life?

[/quote

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

I needed a good laugh today. Tell us another funny...

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

Quote from: kphoger on May 12, 2021, 10:05:20 AM
What do you mean by "abandon Spanish"?  Do you mean they all have to stop speaking it?  Or just that they have to stop having two official languages?

Quote from: hbelkins on May 12, 2021, 12:46:20 PM

Well, that answered that.

I'm surprised that you are in favor of the government controlling what language people choose to speak.
Male pronouns, please.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: hbelkins on May 12, 2021, 12:46:20 PM
Quote from: kkt on May 12, 2021, 12:40:14 PM

[/quote

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

I needed a good laugh today. Tell us another funny...
Who cares what language they speak? Also this isn't a joke.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: Angelo71 on May 10, 2021, 08:34:06 AM
Quote from: cabiness42 on May 10, 2021, 08:31:21 AM
Quote from: Angelo71 on May 10, 2021, 08:21:03 AM
D.C. was meant to be a federal district, not a state. If people in D.C. want representation, I think that either Federal Buildings should be D.C., or the new borders of D.C. should be based upon the Anacostia River, Rock Creek and Massachusetts Avenue.

The obvious compromise here is for the GOP to agree to grant statehood for Puerto Rico (which is going to happen at some point anyway) in return for a Dem agreement to turn the populated portions of DC back to Maryland and abandoning statehood.
I personally don't like the fact that US owns a bunch of land off of the contiguous U.S., I think Alaska should be given to Canada, Hawaii independence, Puerto Rico independence, even though that is for an alternate history timeline, not a road forums, and it would simply never happen. I also think the GOP would want more because giving Maryland more Democrat land doesn't really change anything and I don't understand your point.

Well I think Canada should be given to the US excluding Quebec.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on May 12, 2021, 02:02:29 PM
D.C. was meant to be a federal district, not a state. If people in D.C. want representation, I think that either Federal Buildings should be D.C., or the new borders of D.C. should be based upon the Anacostia River, Rock Creek and Massachusetts Avenue.

The obvious compromise here is for the GOP to agree to grant statehood for Puerto Rico (which is going to happen at some point anyway) in return for a Dem agreement to turn the populated portions of DC back to Maryland and abandoning statehood.
I personally don't like the fact that US owns a bunch of land off of the contiguous U.S., I think Alaska should be given to Canada, Hawaii independence, Puerto Rico independence, even though that is for an alternate history timeline, not a road forums, and it would simply never happen. I also think the GOP would want more because giving Maryland more Democrat land doesn't really change anything and I don't understand your point.

Except Canadians' entire identity model is built around "we're not Americans" .
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

kphoger

"Given" as in a gift, or as in a respiratory infection?
Male pronouns, please.

Roadgeekteen

Why?

Takumi

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on May 12, 2021, 02:29:47 PM

Except Canadians' entire identity model is built around "we're not Americans" .

It's funny because it's true.

(Cut to all of Canada both nodding and scowling.)
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.