News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

US highway map, rendered in subway map style

Started by usends, December 19, 2011, 11:36:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

usends

I think this map is really nice - informative, innovative, and visually appealing.  It shows all 2-digit US routes (current and historic), and also includes the longest 3-dus routes.  But the geometry is abstracted and simplified, in the manner of a typical metro transit map.
http://www.cambooth.net/archives/801
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

exit322

KEVIN_224

WOW! That is pretty freakin' cool! How did I never think of that? :)

corco

I often try to sketch this exactly when I'm bored in class, and now I see what it actually is supposed to look like! Very cool- I love it!

CanesFan27

Someone else a number of years ago did one of the Interstate System and had it for sale.  I bought one and framed it and it is hanging up here in my office.  I'll certainly be purchasing his US highway map when available and will do the same.

agentsteel53

here is the interstate map, as done by Cam Booth (same guy who did this US map)

http://www.cambooth.net/archives/641
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

Interesting map.

One omission I found: the old US 75 alignment on the east side of the Missouri between Council Bluffs and Sioux City.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

CanesFan27

Hot Rod Hootenanny

I'll have to forward this map to Dave Wickline* in the morning. See if he can get copies of this map to use as placemats for his tables.  :clap:

* - Dave is the owner of a US 66 themed restaurant in Columbus (and where we met for lunch as part of the Ohio roadmeet this year)
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Chaosboy

Hi everyone, I'm the creator of this map, Cameron. Thanks for all the love, and thanks to Dale for featuring it here. I am working on making a whole slew of corrections and edits as we speak, and hope to have posters for sale really soon. I'd love to answer any questions you may have about the map, so fire away!

CanesFan27

one suggestion is to make the x5 US highways a non-grey color most of those are/were major north/south routes.

I do understand that it may be too complicated with more colors.

Chaosboy

Hmmm... My understanding was that x1s were designated the primary north-south routes and not x5s - which is unlike Interstates, where x5s are DEFINITELY the primary routes. EDIT: That is to say, in the original 1926 plan, the x1s were DEFINITELY given priority as main routes.

NE2

Quote from: Chaosboy on December 20, 2011, 12:11:47 PM
Hmmm... My understanding was that x1s were designated the primary north-south routes and not x5s - which is unlike Interstates, where x5s are DEFINITELY the primary routes. EDIT: That is to say, in the original 1926 plan, the x1s were DEFINITELY given priority as main routes.
I think you should look on a case-by-case basis (like you did with 2). For example, 66 should be colored (especially given that it was 60 in the 1925 plan). Some of the x5s were certainly major routes (e.g. 25). And 99 was far more important than 101.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Chaosboy

USS 66 *is* colored - it's black (not a 70% black like the other even "minor" routes). US 2 is really meant to be "US 0", that's why it earns a color.

For me, the idea behind the "major" routes is that they define the grid, ten numbers apart (10, 20, 30, etc and 1, 11, 21, 31 etc)... whether or not one road carried more traffic or actually served as a better route than another (agree totally that 99 performs that purpose better than 101 - that's why it's now I-5). Picking and choosing which road gets to be "important" based on arbitrary criteria messes with the uniformity of the grid, which for me as a designer is the whole point - making patterns out of chaos.

NE2

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/infrastructure/numbers.cfm
"The principal north-south routes were given numbers ending in 1, with U.S. 1 along the East Coast. The north-south routes of considerable length but secondary importance were given numbers ending in 5."

This would be all but 35, as that was not assigned yet. (55 was not in the 1925 plan but was numbered in 1926.)

Lightning Strike

:)
Quote from: Chaosboy on December 20, 2011, 11:33:01 AM
Hi everyone, I'm the creator of this map, Cameron. Thanks for all the love, and thanks to Dale for featuring it here. I am working on making a whole slew of corrections and edits as we speak, and hope to have posters for sale really soon. I'd love to answer any questions you may have about the map, so fire away!

Do be sure to let us know, I would definitely love to have that poster hanging on my wall. I could stare at it all day.  :)
Also great job on the map, fantastic idea and wonderfully done.

nexus73

Quote from: Chaosboy on December 20, 2011, 11:33:01 AM

Since the info is stored on a computer, all you need to avoid the Sold Out Syndrome is a printer.  Why don't you do this?  Print to demand.  I've seen other companies follow along with this concept so it's not unreasonable or unworkable to ask for this.  You could also offer the maps already laminated.  A company here in my home area charged me a whopping $2 (LOL!) to laminate an 11x17 gamesheet so it's not an expensive option by any means.

Improve your business practices and you'll improve your cash flow.  Simple Capitalism 101.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Chaosboy

Rick,

Capitalism 101 also preaches economies of scale. The more posters I get printed at one time, the lower the cost per unit is. Also, I print on extremely nice art paper that is acid and lignin free with archival quality inks (100 years without fading). The paper has a beautiful, slightly rough texture that it would be a crime to laminate. These posters are definitely high-end products, but that's the only way they can do justice to the hundreds of hours I've put into them. I'll take less sales over a longer period of time to maintain that quality.

nexus73

Another Capitalism 101 lesson for you: If you don't have it, you can't sell it.  Here's another: Pass the costs along!  Combine the two with print to demand and you would have made a sale last night.  It's not like economies of scale are going to double the price of the product if you don't max out that factor.

You could also offer various paper quality offerings too.  Printers do handle more than one kind of paper these days after all..LOL!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Chaosboy

By the by, 36" x 24" posters are now available for ordering at my website (http://www.cambooth.net/for-sale). My Interstates as Subway Map poster is also back due to popular demand, AND you can buy both posters as a combo pack at substantial savings. As it's the holidays, I expect these posters to start shipping in early January.

HighwayMaster

Wow. The Interstate one is great, but this is MUCH better.
Life is too short not to have Tim Hortons donuts.

Chaosboy

For those who are interested, I've just posted a newly revised version of this on my Flickr account with a whole slew of changes - most of which were inspired by the discussion here. Lots of new historical endpoints! A full change log is also over at Flickr - accessible by clicking here: http://b.cambooth.net/rRJwwp

hobsini2

Quote from: Chaosboy on December 26, 2011, 02:40:34 AM
For those who are interested, I've just posted a newly revised version of this on my Flickr account with a whole slew of changes - most of which were inspired by the discussion here. Lots of new historical endpoints! A full change log is also over at Flickr - accessible by clicking here: http://b.cambooth.net/rRJwwp
It's really cool work but can you enlarge the size? it is unreadable otherwise.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Duke87

Quote from: hobsini2 on December 26, 2011, 04:00:39 PM
It's really cool work but can you enlarge the size? it is unreadable otherwise.

Click the magnifying glass with a + sign in it to the upper right of the photo and then select "Original (4000 x 2900)" to the far right.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Sykotyk

Wasn't sure I'd like the pic when I read the post. But, that is really cool. Would love to have some type of large wall-map done like that. 4'x5' or so. Any idea what the price would run?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.