News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

Traffic signal

Started by Tom89t, January 14, 2012, 01:01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenetwork

Quote from: STLmapboy on August 31, 2020, 02:23:06 PM

Also in Northern Ohio; some super weird arrows that I'm gonna guess are found nowhere else in the US, if not the world.

Might have been an Ohio thing, as I am old enough to remember seeing the criss-cross arrows in signals in Toledo, Lorain and Independence -- all are long gone.

STLmapboy

Take a look at this removed signal area in Lorain (huge "57" sign) and this a mile or two away.
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

Amtrakprod

Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jakeroot

Ohio near-airport install. Notice how they're all ground mounted.

Very reminiscent of this installation in Langley, BC. Again, near an airport. Post-mounted signals are normal in BC, but very rare without at least one overhead signal.

They even have little flashing lights on top.

Quote from: STLmapboy on August 30, 2020, 12:23:02 PM
Ever seen a mast arm painted vivid blue before?

I've seen one painted regular blue, in Victoria BC. Millstream & McCallum, out west of the city centre. Some other signals in the area are painted similarly in other colors, like this red one.

RobbieL2415

kphoger

Quote from: jakeroot on September 01, 2020, 02:40:50 PM
Very reminiscent of https://i.imgur.com/H7fiY35.jpg[/img]]this installation in Langley, BC. Again, near an airport. Post-mounted signals are normal in BC, but very rare without at least one overhead signal.

I attempted to fix this, but your post-mounted link ended up being the same thing as what's posted at the bottom.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jakeroot

Quote from: kphoger on September 01, 2020, 02:59:12 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on September 01, 2020, 02:40:50 PM
Very reminiscent of https://i.imgur.com/H7fiY35.jpg[/img]]this installation in Langley, BC. Again, near an airport. Post-mounted signals are normal in BC, but very rare without at least one overhead signal.

I attempted to fix this, but your post-mounted link ended up being the same thing as what's posted at the bottom.

I have no idea how I didn't notice that. Must have been drunk this morning. Hmm.

Fixed. Thanks for the heads up.

jakeroot

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on September 01, 2020, 02:44:24 PM
Quote from: Amtrakprod on August 31, 2020, 10:27:31 PM
Doghouse in DC?

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9658016,-77.0025126,3a,69y,178.07h,85.6t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s3Q5MzLC5YZQSQfKbWtLuOg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
Also, improper 5-element signal?

Could you expand a bit on what you mean by "improper"? Looks good to me. AFAIK, it's normal in many places for overhead signals to use doghouse layouts, but for mast-/post-mounted signals to use vertical 5-section towers. In case this is what you're referring to.

kphoger

Quote from: jakeroot on September 01, 2020, 03:29:18 PM

Doghouse in DC?

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9658016,-77.0025126,3a,69y,178.07h,85.6t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s3Q5MzLC5YZQSQfKbWtLuOg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Could you expand a bit on what you mean by "improper"? Looks good to me. AFAIK, it's normal in many places for overhead signals to use doghouse layouts, but for mast-/post-mounted signals to use vertical 5-section towers. In case this is what you're referring to.

For those interested, here is a shot of all three left arrows in use.  And those for the cross street.
Male pronouns, please.

kphoger

Quote from: jakeroot on September 01, 2020, 03:26:33 PM
Must have been drunk this morning. Hmm.

You know you have a problem when you don't even remember that you were drunk.   :cheers:
Male pronouns, please.

JoePCool14

Am I the only one who actually really digs this install? Something about it just looks really good.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

kphoger

Quote from: JoePCool14 on September 01, 2020, 03:47:19 PM

Am I the only one who actually really digs this install? Something about it just looks really good.

Not at all.  I love it too.  All four approaches have signals at all four corners.
Male pronouns, please.

jakeroot

Quote from: kphoger on September 01, 2020, 03:41:34 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on September 01, 2020, 03:29:18 PM

Doghouse in DC?

For those interested, here is a shot of all three left arrows in use.  And those for the cross street.

Ahhhhh. Yeah, that's pretty peculiar. Although having a left-facing arrow on the right edge of the intersection is pretty common in DC.

I've also seen it at least once before, at this on-ramp in Lakewood, WA (both ramp terminals).

I can't recall exactly, but I'm 90% sure that left-facing arrows are not allowed on the right edge of intersection. Near the right edge, yes, but not on the edge (like on the mast or a post).

jakeroot

Quote from: kphoger on September 01, 2020, 03:42:22 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on September 01, 2020, 03:26:33 PM
Must have been drunk this morning. Hmm.

You know you have a problem when you don't even remember that you were drunk.   :cheers:

That's for damn sure!!! :-D

Quote from: kphoger on September 01, 2020, 03:50:46 PM

Not at all.  I love it too.  All four approaches have signals at all four corners.

Coming in here for a third vote. I think it's lovely. I would much prefer this to be the "base" installation according to FHWA standards, with overhead signals being supplementary. I just find them more useful when trying to see around vehicles.

SignBridge

Once again, that's why I've always thought that California (and Nevada) do it best. They usually have a combination of pole and overhead mounted heads, providing the best of all worlds.

Amtrakprod

Coming in here for a third vote. I think it's lovely. I would much prefer this to be the "base" installation according to FHWA standards, with overhead signals being supplementary. I just find them more useful when trying to see around vehicles.
[/quote]

Yeah, I like this one. I'd prefer FYAs though to the doghouse.
Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

STLmapboy

Quote from: Amtrakprod on September 01, 2020, 09:35:38 PM

Yeah, I like this one. I'd prefer FYAs though to the doghouse.

OH isn't big on FYAs, even on newer installs.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

ErmineNotyours

Quote from: STLmapboy on August 24, 2020, 10:31:56 PM
What are the longest poles you've seen with just one overhead signal? This image from Mitchell SD.

Do ramp meter lights count?

jakeroot

Quote from: STLmapboy on August 24, 2020, 10:31:56 PM
What are the longest poles you've seen with just one overhead signal? This image from Mitchell SD.

There's quite a few in Ellensburg, WA where the "through-minus-one" philosophy employed by the city has resulted in quite a few mast arms with only one signal. Totally fine with me, and I quite like the design here. Just wish there was a third signal on the far left:

mrsman

STLmapboy

Missouri>>>>>Illinois

paulthemapguy

Quote from: STLmapboy on September 02, 2020, 07:13:01 PM
Double-red in Maryland?

Interesting!  Looks like they retconned a permitted-only left turn signal in place of a protected/permitted. (Maybe vice versa?) That doghouse (?) thing in the opposite direction looks interesting to me too.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 384/425. Only 41 route markers remain!

STLmapboy

Quote from: paulthemapguy on September 02, 2020, 07:19:27 PM
Quote from: STLmapboy on September 02, 2020, 07:13:01 PM
Double-red in Maryland?

Interesting!  Looks like they retconned a permitted-only left turn signal in place of a protected/permitted. (Maybe vice versa?) That doghouse (?) thing in the opposite direction looks interesting to me too.
Found a few more double reds.

Regarding the doghouse: Maryland has a lot of these wonky signals. Personally, I'm not a fan.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

STLmapboy

Going back to the bagged head/tilted sideways comparison (or maybe that was another thread):

Here's NY holding new traffic lights hostage with orange ribbon and very thin bags.

Also NY: What the hell is this?!
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.