News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Traffic signal

Started by Tom89t, January 14, 2012, 01:01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: Dirt Roads on March 28, 2021, 05:10:06 PM
Most places I've been, the densely travelled arterials have time-coordinated intersections paced at a certain speed in areas where traffic would normally get jammed up.  Some are big enough to have full-blown traffic control systems.  HAWK signals disrupt this flow of traffic.  But so do railroad crossings.

So would pedestrians using an unsignalized crosswalk.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

mrsman

Quote from: jakeroot on March 28, 2021, 03:14:34 AM
One approach for crosswalks at minor intersections might be to use FYA signals facing the respective crossing from the side-street. So when the crossing is activated, the arrows flash yellow. Otherwise they are solid green.

Federal Way, WA uses this at many of their T-intersections.

I do like this approach as it does give a protected turn when peds are not present.  That is probably a way to address some of the issues that come up if you force side street traffic to turn while allowing peds to cross at a HAWK or half-signal at an intersection.  When main street has red, peds and side street would normally have green.  But if you do not want to induce traffic on minor streets, you force all the minor street traffic to turn right - directly into pedestrians crossing.  But a flashing yellow arrow in place of a green orb would warn the drivers making the turn to caution.

Here is a currently unsignalized intersection near me that I think deserves some kind of pedestrian crossing signal.  Georgia Ave @ Noyes Drive in Silver Spring, MD.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0024276,-77.0349793,3a,75y,339.49h,83.69t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1svmTx4qJ33_joshv6pwL8LQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

The building at right is actually an orthodox jewish synagogue and a significant number of people walk there on Saturdays and Jewish holidays.  Even the GSV vehicle caught people making the crossing with their dog.  As it is, there is a significant walking destination at the corner (synagogue + bus stops) and it is about 1/4 mile to the nearest existing signals (south to Spring or north to 16th).  I also know that the side streets here are quite narrow and the neighborhood is concerned about thru traffic as there are rush hour turn restrictions at many intersections from major streets to minor streets in the area.  [At this area, there is a right turn prohibition during morning rush from southbound Georgia to westbound Noyes which you can see if you pan around.]

For safety of those crossing, probalby a regular traffic signal would be best.  If side street traffic is a big concern, then perhaps forcing all traffic from Noyes to turn right by using diverters would be helpful.  This means that when pedestrians get a crossing signal, traffic on Noyes will get a green, but then be forced to only turn right.  Eastbound Noyes to southbound Georgia could probably get a green arrow, but westbound Noyes to northbound Georgia should get a flashing yellow arrow as that path will cross the path of the peds using the crosswalk.  Unfortunately, MD still does not seem to allow FYA, so instead you'll probably see a green org with signs warning about the pedestrian danger when turning.

STLmapboy

Here's some signals showing their true colors in Champaign, IL.
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

EpicRoadways

Just wait until Mississippi learns about post-mounted median signals...
https://goo.gl/maps/whtw4SHxaFgWtNaB8

kphoger

Quote from: EpicRoadways on April 02, 2021, 02:44:16 PM

That's insane.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

US71

Bit of a stretch there ;)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

SkyPesos

Besides the post mount, if that was span wire, it would've been fine  :)

jakeroot

Quote from: SkyPesos on April 02, 2021, 03:27:22 PM
Besides the post mount, if that was span wire, it would've been fine  :)

Yeah. I wouldn't normally advocate span-wire (I find mast arms are as good at indicating an approaching signal as the signals themselves), but I would take it over that install.

My preference would be a mast arm over the through lane and a post-mounted left turn signal before any span-wire, though.

SignBridge

I think that extended California style mast-arm is kind of cool actually. Looks very new.....

NoGoodNamesAvailable

I could see an install like that somewhere in NYS too. I don't get why some agencies are so thoroughly uncreative with their signal placement. The MUTCD guidance is no help either. The "every signal on a big far-side mast arm" system is one of the worst.

Scott5114

I wonder what that looks like on a windy day.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Caps81943

Quote from: kphoger on April 02, 2021, 02:52:25 PM

That's insane.

That legitimately may be one of the most ridiculous stoplight setups I have ever seen.

SkyPesos

I was trying to find a MoDOT example of the super long mast arm, but it seems like they do post mounted signals for left turn lanes in that situation pretty well. But one full set of signals for this road wasn't enough, so there's two!

Big John

^^ Looks like the far-side signals were too far away from the stop line per MUTCD requirements so they had to install closer signals.

SkyPesos

Quote from: Big John on April 03, 2021, 02:12:46 PM
^^ Looks like the far-side signals were too far away from the stop line per MUTCD requirements so they had to install closer signals.
If you look at the other signals in this area, the signals for the perpendicular street are generally installed in the median of MO 141, like this one. There may be a good reason that I can't think of why 2 sets instead of one in the median was chosen for the above intersection.

ErmineNotyours

Long mast arm, Maple Valley Highway, with a supplemental post on the right.  There used to be a railroad line on the right that might have prevented installing the mast there.

SkyPesos

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on April 04, 2021, 12:16:44 AM
Long mast arm, Maple Valley Highway, with a supplemental post on the right.  There used to be a railroad line on the right that might have prevented installing the mast there.
Thanks for reminding me of what St Louis area example I was trying to find yesterday.

When a long mast arm isn't long enough

Big John

Another odd thing is that there is no pedestrian signal on the supplemental signal post on the right but the is one on facing the opposite direction across the side road.

SkyPesos

Quote from: Big John on April 04, 2021, 12:25:49 AM
Another odd thing is that there is no pedestrian signal on the supplemental signal post on the right but the is one on facing the opposite direction across the side road.
There is one. Just need to move a bit closer to see it as it blends well with the trees behind it.

roadfro

Quote from: SkyPesos on April 03, 2021, 01:34:27 AM
I was trying to find a MoDOT example of the super long mast arm, but it seems like they do post mounted signals for left turn lanes in that situation pretty well. But one full set of signals for this road wasn't enough, so there's two!

Also interesting with that set is using green straight arrows where not really necessary, but using circular reds and "left turn signal" signs where a red arrow would have been much more appropriate...
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

ahmx1

Worst Traffic Light font and design: Triangle, Virgina https://maps.app.goo.gl/j4jmtHy9j5S9KW68A

SkyPesos

Quote from: roadfro on April 04, 2021, 04:14:19 PM
Quote from: SkyPesos on April 03, 2021, 01:34:27 AM

Also interesting with that set is using green straight arrows where not really necessary, but using circular reds and "left turn signal" signs where a red arrow would have been much more appropriate...
MoDOT likes to use green straight arrows for straight only movements. Not sure if any other DOTs actively do that, but Missouri is the only one that I noticed so far. For the red balls on left turns, MoDOT haven't switched out the red balls for red arrows on a lot of the protective only left turn older signals yet. I mostly see the red arrows on FYA installations in Missouri, as well as the new ones after the red arrow change.

Jet380

Quote from: ahmx1 on April 04, 2021, 09:20:24 PM
Worst Traffic Light font and design: Triangle, Virgina https://maps.app.goo.gl/j4jmtHy9j5S9KW68A

I like that they were thoughtful enough to not put a post in front of the statue, even though it meant installing this ridiculously long mast arm.

fwydriver405

I forgot to take a picture when I went to New Jersey back in January 2021, but I spotted this unusual red left turn arrow in Newark. What kind of red arrow shape is this? This seems to be a recent installation because the previous GSV's from October 2020 and prior shows this post-mounted signal used to have a circular red indication.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.