News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Some tv shows classic moments

Started by Stephane Dumas, February 01, 2012, 09:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephane Dumas

Do not adjust your monitor, here some tv exterpts from some tv episodes.

Icarly, ain't that bad but could be better

A classic moment of All in the Family with Archie Bunker and Mike Stivic

Anyone remember Johnny Fever of WKRP? ;)

and Get Smart's "Cone of silence"?

The various skits from an episode of "You Can't do that on Television".

roadman65

I think that the episode of WKRP In Cincinnati of where Les Nessman mispronounces the famous golfer Chi Chi Rodriguez along with that show's Thanksgiving episode where they threw live turkeys out of a plane.  Les Nessman again has the prevlige of covering that moment just like the famous Hindenberg reporter did that fateful day in 1937.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Brandon

Quote from: roadman65 on February 01, 2012, 09:58:06 PM
I think that the episode of WKRP In Cincinnati of where Les Nessman mispronounces the famous golfer Chi Chi Rodriguez along with that show's Thanksgiving episode where they threw live turkeys out of a plane.  Les Nessman again has the prevlige of covering that moment just like the famous Hindenberg reporter did that fateful day in 1937.

As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Takumi

One of my favorite WKRP moments was in the episode where Herb was leaving his wife and was considering one-night stands, Les says "One-night stands get old after awhile, Herb!" followed by Venus staring at Les like "Did Les really just say that?"
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Stephane Dumas

Here the classic Turkey moment of WKRP

Stephane Dumas

Thunderbirds started the series with a bang with the emergency landing of the supersonic plane Fireflash in the episode "Trapped in the sky".

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

berberry

When Burt, Mary, Jody and Danny met Bob on Soap:

Stephane Dumas

It would be a long while before we see an action scene for a kids show like this. Could you imagine an action scene like that in the Nickelodeon special "Grow up Timmy Turner"?  :-D  Here an exterpt from an episode of the puppet-animated series Stingray (made by the same staff who did Thunderbirds as well as Fireball XL5 and Captain Scarlet)

Let's mentions some episodes of the 1967-70 Spiderman cartoon where the seasons 2 and 3 was supervised by Ralph Bakshi with 2 episodes who borrowed stock footage from Rocket Robin Hood like the episode "Revolt in the 5th dimension".

berberry

Sex & the Apple Walnut Coffee Ring.  Jessica, Mary, Eunice and Corrine from Soap, the same show I linked upthread, talk about sex while they ravenously devour an apple ring.  This is a classic moment, I think, because among other things Corrine accuses her mother of being "horny", and I don't think any TV daughter had ever said anything remotely like that to any TV mother on any sitcom up to that time, which was about 1979.  In my opinion, this was the funniest show on television for its entire run.  This clip is from the show's second season.

Stephane Dumas

Since I mentionned earlier the Spiderman episode "Revolt in the 5th dimension", here the original version featuring Rocket Robin Hood titled "Dementia Five".

Speaking of RRH(Rocket Robin Hood), here the opening credits

And before Ralph Bakshi supervised RRH, the series had more humor touches who's now politically incorrect today.

Scott5114

Quote from: berberry on February 12, 2012, 04:55:44 PM
Sex & the Apple Walnut Coffee Ring.  Jessica, Mary, Eunice and Corrine from Soap, the same show I linked upthread, talk about sex while they ravenously devour an apple ring.  This is a classic moment, I think, because among other things Corrine accuses her mother of being "horny", and I don't think any TV daughter had ever said anything remotely like that to any TV mother on any sitcom up to that time, which was about 1979.  In my opinion, this was the funniest show on television for its entire run.  This clip is from the show's second season.

Another interesting thing about Soap is that it was Rod Roddy's first announcer job. He would later go on to be announcer on Press Your Luck, and then, of course, The Price Is Right.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

berberry

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 17, 2012, 12:49:31 PM
Another interesting thing about Soap is that it was Rod Roddy's first announcer job. He would later go on to be announcer on Press Your Luck, and then, of course, The Price Is Right.

Oh I agree!  And there were LOTS of interesting things about that show.  It's the only show I know of that successfully blended sitcoms with soap operas.  It dealt with sex in a way that has not been surpassed, even by shows like 'Real Life' on MTV (which is a dumb show, imo, but oh well I guess I'm getting old).  Nobody on any show anywhere talks about sex more frankly than the characters on 'Soap' did.  The only thing that's been added since is cuss words and graphic images.

But that's not to say that 'Soap' was breaking a lot of ground.  For the most part, it broke ground only with respect to prime time.  Virtually all of the sex-related storylines had been done before, on daytime soap operas where they were played for drama rather than comedy.  The only exception would have been the Jody Dallas story.  That one went farther into exploring the facts of gay life than any show had in any time period.  It got it wrong in several ways, but I regard it as TV's first serious attempt to deal with us honestly.  Growing up in the Deep South, Jody Dallas was the only thing that came close to a role model for me when I was a teenager.  Even that didn't work out too well, though, since I couldn't understand how any man could want to be married so badly he'd go through a sex-change to make it work.

This is why the show has such a soft spot in my heart, and I'm sad to see that 'Soap' is apparently no longer available on Netflix.  But then I have a complete set of DVDs so it's all good.  Maybe it'll pop up on Crackle or Amazon Prime.

In the meantime, here's another classic TV moment, or so it would be in the eyes of anyone old enough to remember it:  the infamous 'Carol Burnett Show' spoof of 'Gone With The Wind', aired shortly after that film was shown on TV for the first time.

PHLBOS

I'm surprised that nobody mentioned either the "Chuckles (the Clown) Bites the Dust" episode of the Mary Tyler Moore show and "Jim's Driver's Test" on Taxi

Chuckles' Funeral:

(Reverend) Jim's Driver's Test:

Let's also not forget Seinfeld's "Soup Nazi" episode:

GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman65

I loved the What does a yellow light mean is the best!  Its ironic, though, that him and DeVito both starred on that show and played two off beat characters and both actors careers blossomed.  I guess it shows what good actors both Christopher Lloyd and Danny DeVito are as to play such roles.

In reality to play a space cadet takes a lot of good skill, especially on camera.

Sheryl Crowe

huskeroadgeek

Some great clips on here. I learned something-didn't know that Soap was Rod Roddy's first announcing job. Having heard him on Press Your Luck, I remember being delighted when he replaced Johnny Olsen on The Price is Right. Seeing what loud suit he would be wearing was always one of the highlights of the show in his era.

The WKRP clip is classic-"As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly" is one of the most memorable lines in TV history. My favorite though is the Carol Burnett Showclip. What's funny is I had a choir director when I was growing up that wore somewhat odd looking dresses at performances which my mother often referred to as "wearing her curtain". It wasn't until years later when I saw an old clip from the show that I realized what my mother was referring to, and now it is extra funny for me.

roadman65

How about the one Carol Burnett skit of when she played the secretary and Tim Conway played the boss of her office.  I always liked when she sharpened the pencil in the old fashioned crank type sharpener.  The way she wiggled her behind was priceless?  I forgot the name of the skit and her character, or else I would find it myself and post it here.

Sheryl Crowe

berberry

Quote from: roadman65 on April 04, 2012, 06:10:38 PM
How about the one Carol Burnett skit of when she played the secretary and Tim Conway played the boss of her office.  I always liked when she sharpened the pencil in the old fashioned crank type sharpener.  The way she wiggled her behind was priceless?  I forgot the name of the skit and her character, or else I would find it myself and post it here.

Ah, yes; Mr. Tudball and Mrs. Wiggins.  Here ya go:

Stephane Dumas

Butch Hartman (creator of Danny Phantom and Fairly Oddparents) is lucky then not everyone remember or had heard of a British series titled "Fireball XL5". Gerry Anderson had taught once of another use for the name Tootie but it didn't caught on and wasn't used for Stingray and Thunderbirds. Here 2 exterpts from the episodes "Planet 46" at 0:49 and 4:12 and "Drama at Space city" at 4:50.

roadman65

We cannot forget the Golden Girls moment when the three girls Dorothy, Blanche, and Rose went to purchase condoms in a drug store before a romantic cruise they were all planning on taking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kOewRGhtx8

Sheryl Crowe

Stephane Dumas

There was also the "Joke Wall" in Laugh-In

Speaking of Laugh-In, here a clip of Richard Nixon cameo saying "Sock it to me".

and the moments of poetry with Henry Gibson

CenVlyDave

Oh man, so many memories.... I grew up on "You can't do That on Television", and my Dad was big time into Nick at Nite in the 80s and 90s.  Other classics I have not seen mentioned here yet, The Dick Van Dyke Show: "It May Look Like a Walnut", I Love Lucy: "Lucy Does a TV Commercial" and "Job Switching", Mama's Family, the episode where Bubba makes a video about the family for public access cable and the camera cut-offs make them all look completely dysfunctional!  Also, what about shows like Murder, She Wrote and Quincy M.E.?  Of course the moment when Sammy Davis Jr Kisses Archie Bunker on All in the Family: Priceless! :-D

roadman65

How about some of the TV Shows that were thought to be famous and were cancelled right after nielsons killed their chance of sucess.

Joe and Sons CBS in the mid 70s starring Richard Kostelano and Jerry Stiller.

Doc CBS starring Benard Hughes (made it one season completely, but with Mary Wickes and John Harkin leaving the show the story   line had to be changed which resulted in its second season cancellation.)

Aarons Way NBC Starring Merlen Olsen in the 80s

Sycsnick (I do not remember the correct spelling) pronounced Shis nick Starring Ned Beatty

Some of these quickly cancelled shows did have some memorable moments.

Sheryl Crowe

huskeroadgeek

Quote from: CenVlyDave on May 01, 2012, 08:04:26 PM
Mama's Family, the episode where Bubba makes a video about the family for public access cable and the camera cut-offs make them all look completely dysfunctional!
That was a hilarious episode-Vint is telling a story about Mama riding in a wagon, but the main story gets cut out and all you see is Vint saying "Mama fell off the wagon!" which without the context of course has a much different meaning. Then Mama starts out saying "When I think about my family...", then something gets cut out and she says "It just turns my stomach!". That was quite a funny show-it's too bad you don't see reruns very often.

roadman65

Three's Company's Episode 10 titled Strange Bedfellows when Jack throws a party when Janet and Chrissy are out of town.  When Roper comes up to complain about his party, he ends up staying and the next day Janet and Chrissy come home to find Jack in bed with someone.  It turns out to be Roper when Jack pulls the covers back only to find Roper thinking him and Jack had a brief one night stand because of him thinking that Jack is gay or worse what Santa Monica would be thinking..

The discovery scene is priceless!

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.