News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Old Texas Warning Signs

Started by Brian556, March 13, 2012, 01:34:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian556

I scanned these from the 1962 Texas Driver's manual.
These are the ones that I didn't know existed.

The High Plains Traveler

Undoubtedly the manual also includes HIGHWAY INTERSECTION AHEAD - which, since it's immediately followed by a JCT and route marker, has always struck me as redundant.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

US71

Quote from: Brian556 on March 13, 2012, 01:34:00 AM
I scanned these from the 1962 Texas Driver's manual.
These are the ones that I didn't know existed.

Do you have more of these? I'd love to see them :)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Brian556

The only vintage driver's manual I have is this one. These were the only warning signs that are not commonly seen today. There are some other types of signs in it that are no longer used. I'll scan them for you later.

texaskdog

Brian556

Here's all of the interesting signs from this manual that are not currently in use.
(yeah, I know MEN WORKING is still used)

Takumi

The shields with the double arrow in them are the most interesting of the bunch, IMO.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Takumi on April 06, 2012, 12:31:42 AM
The shields with the double arrow in them are the most interesting of the bunch, IMO.

shit yeah!  thank you for the confirmation that they were still an active standard in 1962.  the earliest I've seen a black square in use is 1965.

but I also have read somewhere that the TEXAS/US reassurance cutout (no arrow) was in use until 1969.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

US71

When did Texas start using Blue signs?

agentsteel53

Quote from: US71 on April 06, 2012, 12:10:16 PM
["slow/think child safety"]

bleh.

only way it could be worse is if it were printed in Comic Sans.

jake@aaroads.com

Takumi

And said "My Brother/Sister Plays Here"
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Scott5114

It is okay to actually run over the children, just make sure you briefly think of safe ways to do it first.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Brian556

Quoteshit yeah!  thank you for the confirmation that they were still an active standard in 1962.  the earliest I've seen a black square in use is 1965

Just so you know..the 1988 Driver's Manual still showed the arrow inside the state highway sign...so don't consider this a confirmation.

txstateends

You said before that this was in Texarkana, right?  This has to be a local sign, not a new-flavor TxDOT thing, since the setting is clearly a side street, not one of the major roads/highways there.  Besides, there would be breakaway hardware mounts at the bottom if this were a recent TxDOT sign.  And, if this were rolling out statewide (as drastically different as it is), some media somewhere would have picked up on it by now.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

US71

Quote from: txstateends on April 07, 2012, 09:35:17 AM

You said before that this was in Texarkana, right?  This has to be a local sign, not a new-flavor TxDOT thing, since the setting is clearly a side street, not one of the major roads/highways there.  Besides, there would be breakaway hardware mounts at the bottom if this were a recent TxDOT sign.  And, if this were rolling out statewide (as drastically different as it is), some media somewhere would have picked up on it by now.

No. It's in Paris, TX. There is also one in Deport along Bus 271.

CentralCAroadgeek

I've always found it weird that Texas has warning signs that say "CHURCH" on them, obviously by a church. Just like the "SCHOOL" and "HOSPITAL" signs posted above. Why does Texas have these signs? I noticed these last summer when I spent a month with my uncle in Corpus Christi.

Stratuscaster

I would imagine for the same reasons you have SCHOOL and HOSPITAL - to make the drivers aware of the potential for increased pedestrian and vehicular traffic in that area.

US71

Quote from: CentralCAroadgeek on April 07, 2012, 03:16:53 PM
I've always found it weird that Texas has warning signs that say "CHURCH" on them, obviously by a church. Just like the "SCHOOL" and "HOSPITAL" signs posted above. Why does Texas have these signs? I noticed these last summer when I spent a month with my uncle in Corpus Christi.

Texas also has 55 mph School Zones ;)

txstateends

Quote from: US71 on April 07, 2012, 02:19:10 PM
Quote from: txstateends on April 07, 2012, 09:35:17 AM

No. It's in Paris, TX. There is also one in Deport along Bus 271.

I knew it was somewhere in northeast TX, thanx for the clarification.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

roadman

M
Quote from: CentralCAroadgeek on April 07, 2012, 03:16:53 PM

MassDPW used to post warning signs for "Church Entrance Ahead" and "Theater Entrance Ahead".  They are still listed in the current MassDOT sign standards, but AFAIK haven't actually been newly posted anywhere in Massachusetts in several years.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

DRMan

That sign behind the commissioners that starts with "Listen To Your Wife" -- does anyone know what the rest of the sign reads?

NE2

Quote from: DRMan on April 11, 2012, 08:50:11 PM
That sign behind the commissioners that starts with "Listen To Your Wife" -- does anyone know what the rest of the sign reads?

The bottom is probably DRIVE CAREFULLY (or SAFELY or some such) like this old German sign: http://www.flickr.com/photos/marcel-more/133380566/
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

agentsteel53

Quote from: DRMan on April 11, 2012, 08:50:11 PM

something like "reasonable speed/is a good way to/SAVE LIVES" is my guess.  it doesn't quite match the widths of the extant text, but it seems close.

jake@aaroads.com

DRMan

Quote from: NE2 on April 11, 2012, 09:08:08 PM
The bottom is probably DRIVE CAREFULLY (or SAFELY or some such) like this old German sign: http://www.flickr.com/photos/marcel-more/133380566/

Nice picture -- wagging finger and all!

Brian556

This is from the 1988 Texas Driver's Handbook.
Notice that the arrow is falsly shown in side the state route marker. INTERSTATE TEXAS 75.. WTF?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.