News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Missing Zakim Bridge signs

Started by roadman, March 15, 2012, 02:28:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman

When the I-93 Zakim Bridge in Boston first opened to traffic, there was a sign structure over the southbound lanes immediately south of the south bridge tower.  The structure had advance signs for the Government Center/Callahan Tunnel exits, the Purchase Street exit, and the I-90 MassPike/South Station exits, as well as a set of lane status symbols.

In March of 2007, the structure was hit by a raised dump truck trailer and had to be removed.  For a short time, some of the exit information that had been on these signs was displayed on the message sign at the north end of the Zakim Bridge instead, but that was discontinued soon thereafter.

It's been five years since the accident, and the signs and support still haven't been replaced.  I understand that collecting accident recovery (what the private damage program in Massachusetts is called) claims can take time, but this seems a bit odd.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Alex

Looking through my 2005 photos, we did photograph that sign bridge:

The dynamic message sign only displayed "Reduce Speed Tunnel Ahead" or "Lights on for Safety Tunnel Ahead" by July 2007.

roadman

Quote from: Alex on March 15, 2012, 03:31:49 PM
The dynamic message sign only displayed "Reduce Speed Tunnel Ahead" or "Lights on for Safety Tunnel Ahead" by July 2007.

IIRC, it was one of the changeable message signs on the other end of the bridge, not the one at the tunnel portal, that was used to display the exit information for a short time after the structure was removed
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

NJRoadfan

Looking through my 2006 Boston pictures, I got a shot of this sign too. Why hasn't it been replaced?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.