News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

Another New Californian...

Started by CentralCAroadgeek, March 22, 2012, 11:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CentralCAroadgeek

Well, I'm CentralCAroadgeek, and as you can see, I'm from central California, Salinas to be exact. The rather interesting part about me is that I'm only twelve, yet I'm interested in roads like an older person is. Anyways, I have a lot to share, as well as pictures to post from my trips with my family. My dream job is to work for CalTrans as a civil engineer.

Wish me luck,
~ Daryl

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kurumi

Welcome to the forums. The 101/183 interchange in your city has an uncommon design. It's also surprising how covertly CA 68 is signed on 101.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

CentralCAroadgeek

Yeah, 101 at N. Main here IS weird... The only thing I noticed about 68 on 101 is a shield right before John St. Thanks for noticing!

Ian

Welcome from Philadelphia! I know the feeling of being a younger scout here (I'm only 16).
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

CentralCAroadgeek

Thanks! And also thank you for noticing my age.

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: CentralCAroadgeek on March 24, 2012, 03:10:41 PM
Thanks! And also thank you for noticing my age.
Son, you're gonna be here a loooooong time.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

CentralCAroadgeek

Thanks man! I guess it's nice to see a young one around here, right?

Alps

Age aside, you have some of the most intelligent posts in this forum. Always a welcome breath of fresh air from some of the older, clueless, and (unfortunately) prolifically posting enthusiasts.

CentralCAroadgeek

Thanks Steve! As you can see, I'm one of the smartest kids at my school. So I guess it's because of that. Thanks!

Alps

Quote from: CentralCAroadgeek on March 25, 2012, 11:28:05 AM
Thanks Steve! As you can see, I'm one of the smartest kids at my school. So I guess it's because of that. Thanks!
Because you can write in Clearview? Doesn't make you smart in my book ;) Wait till real school starts in 9th grade...

CentralCAroadgeek

KEK Inc.

Haha, I've been interested in roads since I was 4.  Currently studying civil engineering in college.  Hopefully I can land a job in WSDOT or Cal-Trans.  I grew up in Northern California, and I'm plenty familiar with Salinas. 

Anyways, hope you enjoy it here! 
Take the road less traveled.

CentralCAroadgeek

Thanks! How's studying civil engineering? Is it interesting?

KEK Inc.

Lots of calculus and physics so far. 

andy3175

Salinas is also home to a rare overhead sign with all-text "Business Route 101" on Main Street. It's located west of the 101-183 interchange.

Regards,
Andy
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

CentralCAroadgeek

Quote from: andy3175 on April 10, 2012, 11:39:06 PM
Salinas is also home to a rare overhead sign with all-text "Business Route 101" on Main Street. It's located west of the 101-183 interchange.

Regards,
Andy

Does it happen to be this?

myosh_tino

Quote from: KEK Inc. on April 04, 2012, 06:46:14 PM
I would have loved to study civil engineering but "lots of calculus and physics" would had been a severe impediment.  Instead, I studied and got my degree in computer science.   :)
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

formulanone

Quote from: myosh_tino on April 23, 2012, 05:01:55 PM
Quote from: KEK Inc. on April 04, 2012, 06:46:14 PM
I would have loved to study civil engineering but "lots of calculus and physics" would had been a severe impediment.

That's what happened in the battle between Yours Truly and Mechanical Engineering; Differential Equations by a knock out, and TKO in the rematch too. I do enjoy my line of work, anyhow. Enjoyed most of the physics, though...but not passing that was an impediment to further understanding more of what I wanted to study. I still wanted a career in the automotive industry, one way or another.

Anyhow, enjoy your time at AARoads...we can all emphasize that you should do what you like to do for work! And you fortunately have a few years left to be serious about your decision.

KEK Inc.

I had more trouble with Calculus III (Multivariable Vector Calculus/Partial Derivatives/Double Integrals/Taylor Series) than Differential Equations.  The hardest math class I've taken was an Applied Mathematics course, which is pretty much Matrix Linear Algebra (i.e., eigenvalues, binomial theorem, etc. not y=ax+b :P) on MATLAB.  Most of the challenge was the programming.

twinsfan87

Yeah, Calc 3 was definitely harder for me too. Most of it probably had to do with the professors teaching them though... On the bright side, if you can survive Calc 3 and Differential Equations, you can probably survive the rest of the prerequisites for an engineering degree.

jrouse

A belated welcome to the group from a Caltrans employee.  Working for Caltrans was my dream for many years,and it was a thrill to be able to get on with the organization.  There are a lot of great people here.  State DOT employees may take their share of knocks from the public but we do an important job, and quite frankly I love what I do.  Study hard and stay committed to your dream, and you can make it.

OCGuy81

Welcome from another Californian! OC here, which I'm sure you figured out from my alias.  Best of luck studying engineering.  And once complete, I've got a list of projects for you to get started on!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.