Service signs: Brand logos or no?

Started by blawp, April 29, 2012, 12:45:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sanctimoniously

I agree with all the previous statements about the logos being useful. As someone who does have preferences in hotels and fuel services, I like to know what's available at any exit I might take in an unfamiliar area. If I'm just passing through, I would much rather eat/fuel/sleep at an established chain rather than Tom's Diner/Stop N' Save/Motel, since I know the established chain will take my credit cards, not look at me funny, have public restrooms, etc.
Quote from: Scott5114 on December 22, 2013, 06:27:29 AM
[tt]wow                 very cringe
        such clearview          must photo
much clinch      so misalign         wow[/tt]

See it. Live it. Love it. Verdana.

US71

In Colorado, logo signs are not allowed, just generic Gas, Food, Lodging, etc. Plus the state owned rest areas aren't allowed to offer motel coupon books.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

hbelkins

I have no problems with billboards. I believe in the concept of capitalism and the right of property owners to be able to do as they wish with their land. So if Arby's wants to lease space in some farmer's field on I-75 to put up a big ol' honkin' billboard announcing Good Mood Food at the next exit, I say more power to 'em.

But on the logo signs, yes I want the brand of the establishment on there. Gas is gas, and I usually know where I'm going to be spending the night, so fuel and lodging signs aren't that important, but I want to know what restaurants are there. During the day I usually just want to drive through and get my food, so I tend to stick to familiar brands like Taco Bell, McDonald's, for a familiar meal.

Unless there is a Sheetz. Then I'm stopping there to get gas and go in and get some MTO.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jwolfer

As others have pointed out.  The businesses pay for the advertising on the sign.  When traveling I like to know what you have to choose from.  If you have a certain gas card its nice to know that your station is there.  And FOOD could be anything from a Taco Bell to an Olive Garden.  If you are traveling you might want a nice sit down restaurant  or a quick drive thru.. And Motels its nice to know your choices... some are fine with the Motel 6 (and having your choice of hookers and drugs LOL) or some might want the Hilton Garden Inn.. again I know i have a rewards account with Holiday Inn and if i am gonna spend 70-100 for a motel i might as well get the rewards points... good to know you options before getting off an exit

agentsteel53

Quote from: jwolfer on May 03, 2012, 11:49:46 AMsome are fine with the Motel 6 (and having your choice of hookers and drugs LOL)

I've never had a problem with Motel 6. 

then again, the primary consideration for me is not the brand, but the general character of the neighborhood.  so maybe there are some shitty Motel 6es in some shitty areas, but I don't know about them.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

BamaZeus

I prefer the logos on the signs.  I wouldn't want to get off at an exit advertising "gas" only to find out that it's a run-down abandoned off-brand place that charges $.20 a gallon more than anyone else.  I prefer seeing that there are at least 2-3 choices for me to make, and knowing that if I stop at a Chevron or a Shell, I kinda know what I'm getting.

vtk

I'm loyal to Speedway for the rewards program and familiar in-store choices.  As for restaurants, it's very helpful to know exactly what chains are at an exit when one has Selective Eating Disorder.  So, yeah, I like the logo signs (and in Ohio we even use them in cities).
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

kphoger

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 03, 2012, 12:00:52 PM
Quote from: jwolfer on May 03, 2012, 11:49:46 AMsome are fine with the Motel 6 (and having your choice of hookers and drugs LOL)

then again, the primary consideration for me is not the brand, but the general character of the neighborhood.  so maybe there are some shitty Motel 6es in some shitty areas, but I don't know about them.

I've stayed at some awesome Motel 6es and some some crappy Motel 6es.  I can usually tell by the architecture which sort it will be, which is one reason shopping online is good.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Alps

I don't hate logos, but I don't need them. To me, it's most important just to know what services an exit actually has. For example, if I'm in desperate need of gas, I'm not going to get out every exit and hunt for it - waste of time and precious dinosaur flesh. If I'm hungry, I can eat almost anywhere (although I prefer non-chains), but again, not searching forever to find a place. Hotels, I do like to know what choices there are, but I also care about prices (can vary by $30 or more for a single brand at different exits), so I plan those out in advance. I would rank, in order of need:

Recreation/attractions (because no two are alike)
Hotel (wide variation)
Food (some variation)
Gas (little variation)

flowmotion

I miss the old fashioned greasy-spoon restaurants with a big sign that simply read "FOOD". Logos? Who needs them.

hbelkins

Quote from: kphoger on May 03, 2012, 03:40:14 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 03, 2012, 12:00:52 PM

I've stayed at some awesome Motel 6es and some some crappy Motel 6es.  I can usually tell by the architecture which sort it will be, which is one reason shopping online is good.

TripAdvisor is your friend...

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Duke87

Quote from: US71 on May 03, 2012, 11:37:20 AM
In Colorado, logo signs are not allowed, just generic Gas, Food, Lodging, etc.

Vermont is the same way. They have this bug about not wanting advertising spoiling the scenic scenery of the state. They even go so far as to ban roadside billboards of any kind.

New York doesn't have logo signs on I-87 within the borders of Adirondack Park for the same reason.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

mcdonaat

I prefer the logo signs, to be honest, especially since Louisiana puts them on non-Interstate freeways also. Saves time, since you can see that McDonalds, Citgo, and Holiday Inn are on one exit, instead of just Food, Gas, and Lodging. I guess I'm just picky. but I would like to know what is available before I exit, instead of generic terms.

vdeane

Quote from: Duke87 on May 03, 2012, 09:17:34 PM
Vermont is the same way. They have this bug about not wanting advertising spoiling the scenic scenery of the state. They even go so far as to ban roadside billboards of any kind.

New York doesn't have logo signs on I-87 within the borders of Adirondack Park for the same reason.
It also makes areas look REALLY rural.  I used to think that Essex County, NY consisted only of pine trees and mountains until I saw it on NY 28N instead of I-87.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Mr_Northside

Quote from: blawp on April 30, 2012, 12:47:10 AM
Ok but what if you exit and there's the advertised Chevron 1 mi to the left and a 76 (unadvertised) 1 mi to the right? It seems like the highway dept is endorsing Chevron, which shouldn't be their business.

76 can get it's logo on the signs if it wants.  So it wouldn't be that the highway dept. is endorsing a gas station, it's that the owner of the 76 hasn't taken the necessary steps to also be on the signs.

I much prefer the signs that let me know what exactly is available at an exit over generically saying there is some gas or some food (or lodging).
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

NE2

Quote from: Mr_Northside on May 04, 2012, 02:26:26 PM
76 can get it's logo on the signs if it wants.
Not always true. At least sometimes the number of logos is limited to what fits on one sign.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Mr_Northside

Quote from: NE2 on May 04, 2012, 02:29:21 PM
Quote from: Mr_Northside on May 04, 2012, 02:26:26 PM
76 can get it's logo on the signs if it wants.
Not always true. At least sometimes the number of logos is limited to what fits on one sign.

I'll grant there could be a few cases where that happens.  Though, I've seen some exits that have had more than one sign for a particular category (food/gas/lodging) - say a 6 or 4-panel followed by a 2-panel. 
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

thenetwork

In Colorado, logo signs are not allowed, just generic Gas, Food, Lodging, etc. Plus the state owned rest areas aren't allowed to offer motel coupon books.

Actually, logo signs are allowed -- and used -- in Colorado.  In fact, I have seen some exits along I-70 west of Denver use combinations of the logo signs, text signs (GAS - FOOD - LODGING NEXT EXIT) as well as the international symbol signs for the same exit.  In some cases, all 3 are used!   

The difference is that CDOT is probably required or obligated to erect and maintain a set of either the old-school text-only Big Blue Signs or BBS/ individual assemblies which have the universal icons for Gas/Food/Lodging/Camping/Hospital,... listed for each exit whether or not there is also a set of logo signs. 

The DOT will then allow or award a contract to an independent contractor to erect & maintain logo signs along their highways for a pre-determined price or fee.  There are probably certain guidelines that the independent company needs to abide by (i.e.: their logo signs must be built like and look like the official DOT sign assemblies, for one) and be regularly updated to assure accuracy.

Meanwhile, the contractor will charge businesses for the right to be listed on a logo sign under their respective service category.  In our neck of the woods, the going rate is about $150 per direction per month (or about $300 for an exit).  Plus they will charge you another $250 per sign initially to make each of your signs.  I'm not sure it those costs also cover the secondary exit signs on the ramps which will have the arrow and distance, or the tertiary individual signs off the freeway completely if another turn needs to be indicated.

I'm sure the same thing goes for those secondary highway blue signs which allow for a smaller logo &/or two lines of text, with a directional arrow and mileage, but those are probably less costly than the BBSs on the freeways & ramps.

US71

Quote from: flowmotion on May 03, 2012, 07:41:56 PM
I miss the old fashioned greasy-spoon restaurants with a big sign that simply read "FOOD". Logos? Who needs them.

A lot of that stuff can be found on-line now.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

mightyace

Quote from: US71 on May 07, 2012, 09:41:31 AM

True.  But, that doesn't help you if you don't have cellular data service and a smart phone (iPhone, Android, Blackberry, Windows).  Or the time to check it out.  If you're driving solo you'll have to stop to safely browse for services.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

oscar

Quote from: Duke87 on May 03, 2012, 09:17:34 PM
In Colorado, logo signs are not allowed, just generic Gas, Food, Lodging, etc.

I really hate that about Vermont.  I'm OK with no roadside billboards and overhead signs, but they should make up for that by posting logo signs.  Last time I was there, the only way to find out what was at an exit (at least on I-89) was to pull off the freeway, get out of the car, and read a bulletin board with what specific establishments were available and how far away they were.  I just kept my wallet shut and drove on to New Hampshire, where I could easily find exactly what I was looking for.

I had similar issues in Santa Barbara this March -- also advertising-unfriendly (no surprise), but also the local CalTrans district doesn't post logos on its service availability signs.  I had reservations with one of the local Motel 6s (Santa Barbara of all places has several of them), but no idea of which exit without either a logo sign or other noticeable roadsign advertising, so it took awhile for me to find the motel.  And only then, after checking in, could I find the Subway restaurant that I had been looking for. 
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

cpzilliacus

Quote from: BigMattFromTexas on April 29, 2012, 03:20:39 PM
Quote from: blawp on April 29, 2012, 12:45:22 PM
Official highway signs shouldn't have advertisements. It should be generic. That's my only quibble.
Well they say that it helps keep the driver from looking all over for something. I think they can be convenient, especially with how hectic things can get along Texas freeways..
Especially in San Antonio..

BigMatt

At very first glance, I thought this might be I-95 in Lumberton, N.C. - with the Jersey barrier and the Sam's Club on the right.   

But I-95 there is only four lanes wide, and I don't believe there's an Exit 559 anywhere on  I-95.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Takumi

Virginia has a mix of both logos and "Food/Gas/Lodging"; I believe there's a fee to get the logo on a sign (someone feel free to berate correct me if I'm wrong). I prefer the logo as I can be picky when it comes to chains.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

kphoger

Quote from: mightyace on May 07, 2012, 05:12:15 PM
Quote from: US71 on May 07, 2012, 09:41:31 AM

True.  But, that doesn't help you if you don't have cellular data service and a smart phone (iPhone, Android, Blackberry, Windows).  Or the time to check it out.  If you're driving solo you'll have to stop to safely browse for services.

I use the internet to plan my stops before I leave home, thereby also allowing me to know ahead of time which side of the road the establishments are on, what the exit number is, etc.  Admittedly, most people are not as detail-oriented when they plan their drives.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

mightyace

^^^

In my case, it is not an issue of being detail oriented or not.

When I travel, I don't have a set plan beyond stopping at certain points of interest.  Therefore, I cannot know where I'll be when lunch, dinner, etc. rolls around.  And it's impractical to look up everything along a 100-200 mile stretch.

That's why I need information on the road.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.