News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Stupidest Thing Done Involving a Road Sign

Started by US12, June 04, 2012, 07:16:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US12

What do you think is the stupidest thing done Involving a road sign?

This is my favorite http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpRENQ9zD6E

I hope the sign was alright  :D

This one right here is just plain stupid   :ded:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUExGy4Kotw

agentsteel53

Quote from: US12 on June 04, 2012, 07:16:31 PM
What do you think is the stupidest thing done Involving a road sign?

replace it with one that says "Arroyo Seco Parkway".
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

tchafe1978

There's a minute of my life I'll never get back....

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

hbelkins

I've seen the video of the guy riding the bike into the US 340 mileage board before, on some TV show. I actually think I have a photo of that sign.

I also saw a video on television of some idiot jumping out of a moving vehicle into a sign assembly in Louisiana.

That NY 412 sign pictured above probably needs to be melted down in order to disinfect it.  :-D

bugo

Quote from: hbelkins on June 04, 2012, 09:53:29 PM

Obsessed much?  I can't believe you guys are still talking about this clown.  He's not even a good quality troll.  You guys used to be a lot harder to troll, now any moron with a couple of catchphrases and made up words can do it.  He's by far the worst troll I've ever seen and I've been online since 1996.  And you and some other members of this forum are obsessed with him. 

agentsteel53

Quote from: bugo on June 05, 2012, 12:24:59 PM
He's by far the worst troll I've ever seen

how easily we forget the ethanmen of the world.

also, anyone wanna fill me in on the joke with regard to Mr. NY-412?

jake@aaroads.com

bugo

I don't know the deal about the sign and I don't care.  It's just some lame attempt at trolling and suckers like Hayes bite the hook every goddamn time.  I showed MTR how trolling was done, and now it's been reduced to Carl Rogers.  Sad.

US71

Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 05, 2012, 12:27:46 PM

also, anyone wanna fill me in on the joke with regard to Mr. NY-412?

His name is Carl Rogers. He coined the word "viatology" as a scientific term to describe Road Geeking. He's a regular Troll/Spammer on MTR/usenet , usually shouting his own praises, inflating his ego with his faux "scientific method", and promoting his less than mediocre website. Most of us ignore him, but a few people like to engage in arguments &/or insults which seem to feed his craving for attention.   :pan: :pan:

US71

Quote from: bugo on June 05, 2012, 12:30:15 PM
I don't know the deal about the sign and I don't care.  It's just some lame attempt at trolling and suckers like Hayes bite the hook every goddamn time.  I showed MTR how trolling was done, and now it's been reduced to Carl Rogers.  Sad.

And "Roadrash Randy"... but lets not go there.

agentsteel53

and the good people on this forum are supposed to know that naked guy is Cal Rogers? 

and we're supposed to care?

both Bugo and Elkins seem to be hell bent on rehashing the dead, dead past.  what's next; we'll be unearthing ancient memories of smoke-signal trolls?

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

The worst part is that they're stooging for master troll Romney.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

agentsteel53

Quote from: NE2 on June 05, 2012, 12:46:19 PM

wouldn't it be nice if we could just ban Romney.  he can talk all he wants, but no running for admin!

jake@aaroads.com

US71

Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 05, 2012, 01:24:22 PM
Quote from: NE2 on June 05, 2012, 12:46:19 PM

wouldn't it be nice if we could just ban Romney.  he can talk all he wants, but no running for admin!

Let's back off the politics

hbelkins

Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 05, 2012, 12:43:43 PM
and the good people on this forum are supposed to know that naked guy is Cal Rogers? 

and we're supposed to care?

both Bugo and Elkins seem to be hell bent on rehashing the dead, dead past.  what's next; we'll be unearthing ancient memories of smoke-signal trolls?

I guess I just fail to comprehend the number of people who aren't familiar with misc.transport.road, since I grew up with it (in a manner of speaking). To me, a roadgeek not knowing about m.t.r. is like someone not knowing who George Washington was.

Quote from: US71 on June 05, 2012, 12:41:32 PM
His name is Carl Rogers. He coined the word "viatology" as a scientific term to describe Road Geeking. He's a regular Troll/Spammer on MTR/usenet , usually shouting his own praises, inflating his ego with his faux "scientific method", and promoting his less than mediocre website. Most of us ignore him, but a few people like to engage in arguments &/or insults which seem to feed his craving for attention.   :pan: :pan:

Hence OSTT ("Operation Silence The Troll," or alternately "Operation Starve The Troll"), which is faithfully observed by most of the regulars still on m.t.r. There are a couple of British guys who still try to engage him because he crossposts to a few other groups, but everyone else just has a good laugh at his expense elsewhere on other forums.

Quote from: US71 on June 05, 2012, 12:42:19 PMAnd "Roadrash Randy"... but lets not go there.

He's been quiet for some time now, or at least the best I can tell he has been, since I have his various nyms killfiled.

Of course, he's the guy who would rather draw a picture of a road sign instead of taking a photograph of it. That might qualify for a stupid thing involving a road sign.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 05, 2012, 12:27:46 PM

All 62,187 of them?
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Scott5114

A lot of people in roadgeeking these days never haunted MTR. A lot of them probably never bothered with it because they didn't have a Usenet feed, or didn't want to take time to set it up (yes, MTR is usable through Google Groups, but it's not really worth trying since last time I checked you can't killfile people on Google). Some people prefer not to have to maintain a killfile and would rather have admins around to weed out the morons for them. A lot of people just got their roadgeeking start on one of the Yahoo lists, or Wikipedia, or Facebook, or something like that, and ended up here. And some people just plain weren't in the roadgeek community before this forum existed.

Carl is notable not so much due to the success of his trolling, but more because he has become a bit of a meme since many of his misfires are just so memorable. Particularly amusing are his videos, including the US-31W song*, the time he accidentally videotaped a banana instead of the road (and did a full write up on it on MTR), and the time he broke off his narrative to exclaim "SHIT, MISSED MY EXIT!" His entertainment value was always that it was never really 100% certain that he was a troll. He could have just been that inept. Considering some of the people I know in real life, I think it's rather more likely that he is, in fact, that dumb.

*US Fed'ral Route 31 dub, southbound traffic near a little green shrub, etc.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: US12 on June 04, 2012, 07:16:31 PM

This one right here is just plain stupid   :ded:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUExGy4Kotw

I guess throwing trash cans or even a bowling ball isn't fun anymore.

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

elsmere241

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 06, 2012, 07:50:52 AM
In response to the NMSL:

I remember passing through Oklahoma in 1980, and they had put little "No Tolerance" signs below the "Speed Limit 55" signs.  I could also see at least one sign where "55" had been painted over "70".

agentsteel53

Quote from: hbelkins on June 05, 2012, 09:27:15 PM

I guess I just fail to comprehend the number of people who aren't familiar with misc.transport.road, since I grew up with it (in a manner of speaking). To me, a roadgeek not knowing about m.t.r. is like someone not knowing who George Washington was.

I think a more apt analogy would be not knowing what the Articles of Confederation were.  it was there, yes, but it was horribly imperfect.  I learned more about highway signs in two weeks of finding some sign collectors and hanging out with them, than in all the time I spent reading MTR from about 2002-2006.

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

Does anyone have this 31-dub video, or is it lost in the hells of Kentucky?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.