News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Arkansas

Started by Grzrd, June 18, 2012, 11:02:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

Quote from: US71 on May 19, 2014, 10:25:27 AM
Quote from: bugo on May 19, 2014, 08:00:46 AM
This was posted soon after I-540 was extended to Bentonville.  It conveys all the information a traveler would ever need.  As it stands, it is impossible to follow the border to border US 62 in Arkansas by going by signage alone.  Is this sign assembly really too cluttered?  Is it hard to read?  No.  And don't say "but Dothan!" because there were only 3 highways signed through here.

Did you save a copy of that old Gridlock Guru column where you asked about this?

No, I tried to forget about that lying wanker.

Opinionated1

I'd love to see "No Trucks In Left Lane" signage across all Arkansas interstates. Especially I540! Nothing is more annoying than having two truckers pacing each other in both lanes - no one can get around them!  :banghead:

US71

Quote from: Opinionated1 on May 20, 2014, 11:16:05 AM
I'd love to see "No Trucks In Left Lane" signage across all Arkansas interstates. Especially I540! Nothing is more annoying than having two truckers pacing each other in both lanes - no one can get around them!  :banghead:

About 10-15 years ago, trucks were encouraged to use the Left Lane to equalize pavement wear (because it was cheaper than fixing the roads)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Arkansastravelguy

Does anyone know why there is the S curve on 49 next to the Wedington exit?

iPhone

US71

Quote from: Arkansastravelguy on May 21, 2014, 04:57:32 PM

iPhone

ON 49? Not sure I've noticed unless it's part of adding the extra lane?

Arkansastravelguy

Quote from: US71 on May 21, 2014, 05:31:19 PM
Quote from: Arkansastravelguy on May 21, 2014, 04:57:32 PM

iPhone

ON 49? Not sure I've noticed unless it's part of adding the extra lane?

They did southbound side last week and northbound side yesterday.

iPhone

Arkansastravelguy

Oh on a separate note I drove 540 late last night and they seem to still have lanes blocked for no apparent reason. 

iPhone

US71

Quote from: Arkansastravelguy on May 21, 2014, 05:42:51 PM
Oh on a separate note I drove 540 late last night and they seem to still have lanes blocked for no apparent reason. 

It's going to be 4-5 more weeks before work is finished per 40/29 News last week.

I think most of what's left is just the potholes on the Arkansas River Bridge, though there appears to be at least one exit sign yet to be replaced (SB Exit 11/AR 255)  and at least one older sign that appears to have been forgotten (SB Exit 10/ AR 45). I was out yesterday and noticed that the exit numbers are finally beginning to appear.

One would probably have to ask the contractor about the closed lanes. Maybe someone wants to keep playing slalom ;)

Arkansastravelguy

There were not numbers on several signs. We also went left to right then back to left lane then back to right. There wasabi a single construction vehicle on the highway

iPhone

robbones

I have a hunch AHTD is waiting for I 49 to be completed before replacing the 540 Arkansas River bridges

bjrush

So AHTD refuses to sign US 71 along I-49 but this sign in McGehee costs just as much to post and maintain as a US 71 shield. I am willing to take a poll that 99.99% of the traveling public doesn't know what Highway 1Y is, and it likely only serves to confuse the public. In a best case scenario, people think the "Y" is some dirt or bird crap. They know to turn left onto that "highway" to get to US 65, because this information is conveyed by the adjacent sign.

I don't really understand why this sign is posted
Woo Pig Sooie

bugo

Quote from: bjrush on June 02, 2014, 09:28:57 PM

So AHTD refuses to sign US 71 along I-49 but this sign in McGehee costs just as much to post and maintain as a US 71 shield. I am willing to take a poll that 99.99% of the traveling public doesn't know what Highway 1Y is, and it likely only serves to confuse the public. In a best case scenario, people think the "Y" is some dirt or bird crap. They know to turn left onto that "highway" to get to US 65, because this information is conveyed by the adjacent sign.

I don't really understand why this sign is posted

AR 1Y is basically a two way ramp from AR 1 to US 65 (which are grade separated).  This is pretty much just a ghetto interchange.  The sign should really simply read "TO US 65".

bjrush

AHTD,

Will the Highway 112 widening in Fayetteville be done soon? This project has gone on forever
Woo Pig Sooie

AHTD

If you go to www.idrivearkansas.com, you will see our construction zones marked in orange. Click on any of these and a dialog box will appear telling you when we expect completion of the project.
Travel and construction information available at www.idrivearkansas.com

bjrush

Drove between De Valls Bluff and Clarendon today. Please tell me those beautiful old curved concrete bridges are staying after the new one is built, AHTD!

By the way, this is a huge project I had no idea was even going on...what is the driver for a new bridge here?
Woo Pig Sooie

bugo

Quote from: bjrush on June 28, 2014, 12:28:08 AM
Drove between De Valls Bluff and Clarendon today. Please tell me those beautiful old curved concrete bridges are staying after the new one is built, AHTD!

By the way, this is a huge project I had no idea was even going on...what is the driver for a new bridge here?

No chance.  The Augusta and DeValls Bluff bridges are gone, and the Newport bridge is next.  All the great White River bridges will be gone.  One day the fine folks of Clarendon will wish that the bridge was still there.

US71

Quote from: bugo on June 28, 2014, 02:53:35 PM
Quote from: bjrush on June 28, 2014, 12:28:08 AM

No chance.  The Augusta and DeValls Bluff bridges are gone, and the Newport bridge is next.  All the great White River bridges will be gone.  One day the fine folks of Clarendon will wish that the bridge was still there.

There is supposed to be a local effort to save the bridge as a pedestrian/bicycle path, but I can't find the info I thought I had.

bugo

It would make an excellent ped bridge, but there's no way AHTD will leave it there.

US71

Quote from: bugo on June 28, 2014, 08:06:40 PM
It would make an excellent ped bridge, but there's no way AHTD will leave it there.

http://www.bigwhiteriverbridge.org

bjrush

Looks like they tore out the raised ground the former alignment was on, too

Who knew AHTD was in tge wetland restoration business?
Woo Pig Sooie

AHTD

Not sure where it is, but yes, there is a local effort to save the old bridge.

Don't get us wrong, we love the old and historic too, but this is one of those issues where the local jurisdiction will have to completely take it over, maintain it, etc.

We're willing to work with the communities, we just can't keep it on the system.

bjrush

AHTD, what is up with this concrete along the side of US 79 in St. Francis County? Some of the paving looked somewhat new. Truck rest/parking area?

There was also a little house/building decaying in the bush nearby

http://goo.gl/maps/hD30p
Woo Pig Sooie

AHTD

Quote from: bjrush on July 03, 2014, 11:34:48 AM
AHTD, what is up with this concrete along the side of US 79 in St. Francis County? Some of the paving looked somewhat new. Truck rest/parking area?

There was also a little house/building decaying in the bush nearby

http://goo.gl/maps/hD30p

That is the old Brickey Rest Area site. The small structure is no longer on the right of way since the property reverted back to the original owner in the late 1980s, however a portion of the old ramps/parking is still on the right of way.

RBBrittain

Quote from: AHTD on June 30, 2014, 07:59:10 PM
Not sure where it is, but yes, there is a local effort to save the old bridge.

Don't get us wrong, we love the old and historic too, but this is one of those issues where the local jurisdiction will have to completely take it over, maintain it, etc.

We're willing to work with the communities, we just can't keep it on the system.
Isn't Newport supposed to take over its bridge after it's replaced?  Since my maternal grandparents lived in Newport, that's the one I remember most.  (My paternal grandparents lived in Batesville; the old 167 bridge is LONG gone, but it seems we'll always have the Ramsey Hill/Mountain hairpin. ;) )

bjrush

AHTD, I really would like to know more about this White River bridge project around Clarendon. What type of environmental permitting was required for this work in the bayou? Is this a wetlands restoration project? What controls do AHTD/USACE have in place to ensure wetland restoration success in the region?
Woo Pig Sooie

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.