News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Poor Sign Placement

Started by CentralCAroadgeek, June 24, 2012, 09:19:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on October 17, 2014, 10:21:30 PM
You should. That's a big boo boo on the contractor for not having them back to back. Some bonehead should be reprimanded for this error and fix the problem before people end up wrecking themselves.

Last night I tweeted it to both VDOT and the contractor who's building the HO/T lanes. No reply yet, though of course it is the weekend.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

1995hoo

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 17, 2014, 02:28:13 PM
I hope this is not permanent sign placement. Seen in the reversible HOV carriageway in Springfield, Virginia. The diamond-shaped sign facing the other way that blocks the new small green "Express Exit" sign is a standard sign for thru traffic when the lanes are going in the other direction denoting a merge from the left.

Passed through there earlier today and the sign has been repositioned. I'd like to believe the tweet I sent in had something to do with that, though of course I can't verify that because they never replied. Behold the power of the AARoads.com forum!

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

theline

I'm not sure if this one exactly fits here, but I'll take a shot. It's on the ramp that carries EB I-80 from its concurrence with the I-94 on the Borman to its concurrence with I-90 on the Indiana Toll Road. I've seen the sign perhaps a hundred times and it never ceases to amaze me with its placement: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.5855799,-87.231911,3a,75y,90h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sSUnjJNd2rFutXveJk-nPng!2e0?hl=en

In fact, what exactly is its purpose? When the sign comes clearly into view, the motorist is far beyond the decision point. If he wants to stay on 80, he is either on it or screwed. Before I learned this exit well, I know that at least once I found myself to the left of the concrete wall when that sign mocked me. All I could do is say, "How the hell I'm supposed to get there?"

DevalDragon

This is a good one. My guess is that lane didn't used to be exit only and it went thru, especially because the "20 MPH RAMP" is in the same location/color where an "EXIT \/ ONLY" would be .

It's also curious that the I-90 shield is placed where it is - almost like an afterthought.

Quote from: theline on December 11, 2014, 07:37:48 PM
I'm not sure if this one exactly fits here, but I'll take a shot. It's on the ramp that carries EB I-80 from its concurrence with the I-94 on the Borman to its concurrence with I-90 on the Indiana Toll Road. I've seen the sign perhaps a hundred times and it never ceases to amaze me with its placement: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.5855799,-87.231911,3a,75y,90h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sSUnjJNd2rFutXveJk-nPng!2e0?hl=en

In fact, what exactly is its purpose? When the sign comes clearly into view, the motorist is far beyond the decision point. If he wants to stay on 80, he is either on it or screwed. Before I learned this exit well, I know that at least once I found myself to the left of the concrete wall when that sign mocked me. All I could do is say, "How the hell I'm supposed to get there?"

jeffandnicole

The black on yellow 20 mph warning itself isn't totally unusual: On high speed roads with low speed ramps, you can often find something along these lines to alert people as to the advisory speed.

The placement of the I-90 is a bit unusual. And the entire sign location itself.  Going back on the highway, the closest sign for this exit is attached to the overhead gantry for the previous exit, and best I could tell there was no other supplemental sign on the highway as to this exit's purpose...until you were well down the separated lane.

PS...Geez...paint that bridge! 

akotchi

I would guess the position of the I-90 shield is to eliminate directional confusion.  The ramp is the continuation of I-80 East onto the Toll Road, but I-90 in both directions is accessible from the same ramp.  Though the shields could have been side-by-side on top with the East over the I-80 shield only.  FWIW . . .
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

SignGeek101

I don't like how the sign looks, but that's not the problem with it.

http://goo.gl/maps/Fzmvk

You'd think they would just attach that small sign on the streetlight  :hmmm:

jakeroot

Not that bad, just a nitpick of mine when "ahead" signs are basically 10 feet away from the "here" sign.

Quote from: SignGeek101 on December 25, 2014, 11:47:33 AM
I don't like how the sign looks, but that's not the problem with it.

http://goo.gl/maps/Fzmvk

You'd think they would just attach that small sign on the streetlight  :hmmm:

Odd. I'm not sure why how they expect anyone to read that going 110-120.

riiga

Quote from: jakeroot on January 02, 2015, 12:47:31 AM
Not that bad, just a nitpick of mine when "ahead" signs are basically 10 feet away from the "here" sign.
This one is great too. 5 meters make all the difference in the world, doesn't it?  :-P

roadman65

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.411758,-81.4767725,3a,75y,270h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sJXhMrFXyjkcmuL9_QWJ-bg!2e0
This sign for I-4 West needs to be placed before the curve leading into this intersection as there is a limited sight distance for viewing this sign in advance.

In fact many tourists bound for I-4 west use this part of Turkey Lake Road and will in fact do heavy weaving after seeing this sign.  So either another advanced sign needs to be placed before the curve (as there used to be an LGS before) or this sign needs to be moved back.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

freebrickproductions

Here's a sign at an entrance to a parking lot here in Huntsville that's starting to get covered over by a tree if they haven't cut the tree back already (this was taken back in August of 2014):
Enter Here by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

Also, I have a photo of a traffic light that's partially covered by a tree up in Philadelphia that I took back in 2013 that I can post if it counts.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

SignGeek101

SignGeek101

bigboi00069

Saw this today in Hallandale, FL right by I-95

UCFKnights

Quote from: bigboi00069 on January 24, 2015, 08:41:55 PM
If it was properly manicured, the tree would be above it today, and within a couple years, it will be above the sign without proper maintenance. It also doesn't look like it'd be as bad if you were in the lanes instead of the sidewalk.

bigboi00069

Quote from: UCFKnights on January 24, 2015, 09:05:23 PM
Quote from: bigboi00069 on January 24, 2015, 08:41:55 PM
If it was properly manicured, the tree would be above it today, and within a couple years, it will be above the sign without proper maintenance. It also doesn't look like it'd be as bad if you were in the lanes instead of the sidewalk.
I agree if the tree were manicured it wouldn't be an issue, however that sign has been there for about 2 years or so and is usually blocked by the palm fronds. I took another picture of it from the road, just didn't post it since the message on the sign had disappeared by then. You can tell it still obstructs the sign though.

PHLBOS

I guess the contractor that erected this brand new BGS didn't bring a pair of hedge trimmers with them. :rofl:  If one scrolls back-and-forth; one can see an older view showing the previous BGS.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman

Not that bad, just a nitpick of mine when "ahead" signs are basically 10 feet away from the "here" sign..

One of my pet peeves is Signal Ahead signs that are placed where the signal is in plain sight to the driver.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

roadman

Quote from: PHLBOS on February 06, 2015, 06:18:56 PM
I guess the contractor that erected this brand new BGS didn't bring a pair of hedge trimmers with them. :rofl:  If one scrolls back-and-forth; one can see an older view showing the previous BGS.
Unfortunately, tree trimming is often regarded by contractors as an "optional extra".
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman on February 06, 2015, 06:29:08 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on February 06, 2015, 06:18:56 PM
Unfortunately, tree trimming is often regarded by contractors as an "optional extra".
Personally, I'm surprised that the RE (Resident Engineer) on site for the project didn't flag this when the foundations for the posts were poured.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

SignGeek101

Guys, if you want people to follow a certain speed limit, at least post the sign towards traffic, not parallel to the road.

http://goo.gl/maps/no12n

Not going to mention the fact that this sign is black on yellow, non standard for sure.

mrsman

Quote from: roadman on February 06, 2015, 06:26:51 PM
Not that bad, just a nitpick of mine when "ahead" signs are basically 10 feet away from the "here" sign..

One of my pet peeves is Signal Ahead signs that are placed where the signal is in plain sight to the driver.

IIRC, it has been the practice within certain cities to put up that sign when a new traffic signal is installed with a "NEW" plate as well.  After about 6 months, they may remove the "NEW" but the signal ahead sign is still there.  For old timers, they may need a reminder that there is now a signal when they may be used to driving that way for 20 years without stopping there, but if you're just passing through, it may seem like just another signal and the sign  placement is redundant.

But I agree, at a certain point, the extra sign is no longer helpful.

national highway 1

"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

roadman65

Quote from: mrsman on February 08, 2015, 07:40:33 AM

IIRC, it has been the practice within certain cities to put up that sign when a new traffic signal is installed with a "NEW" plate as well.  After about 6 months, they may remove the "NEW" but the signal ahead sign is still there.  For old timers, they may need a reminder that there is now a signal when they may be used to driving that way for 20 years without stopping there, but if you're just passing through, it may seem like just another signal and the sign  placement is redundant.

I have seen you drove US 27 from Moore Haven, FL to Haines City, FL.  It seems every signal there has flashing yellow SIGNAL AHEAD signs.  Yet where several miles go between signals on the same road nothing is signed.

For safety you would think that FDOT would do the opposite as long stretches, even if the signal is visible, without signals you have a tendency of not expecting them, so there the flashing yellow warning beacons would be posted.  In fact NJ, PA, NY, and NC on divided highways post warning signs with beacons to inform you of a signal after long signal less stretches or at points where freeways become arterials.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

thenetwork

Quote from: roadman65 on February 08, 2015, 08:04:46 PM
Quote from: mrsman on February 08, 2015, 07:40:33 AM

I have seen you drove US 27 from Moore Haven, FL to Haines City, FL.  It seems every signal there has flashing yellow SIGNAL AHEAD signs.  Yet where several miles go between signals on the same road nothing is signed.

For safety you would think that FDOT would do the opposite as long stretches, even if the signal is visible, without signals you have a tendency of not expecting them, so there the flashing yellow warning beacons would be posted.  In fact NJ, PA, NY, and NC on divided highways post warning signs with beacons to inform you of a signal after long signal less stretches or at points where freeways become arterials.

What I don't like is if you live in an area where they have lights that flash when the traffic light is going to change (a.k.a. Prepare To Stop When Flashing),  then when those yokels go out to an area where there are permanently flashing Signal Ahead signs -- they slow to a crawl expecting the light to turn red when in fact it's just a cautionary light.  I followed some moron into 3 intersections like that before I was able to pass them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.