News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Malls that will probably completely die soon

Started by blawp, July 02, 2012, 12:21:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blawp

Town East Mall - Mesquite, TX
West Oaks Mall - Houston, TX

Zmapper

Foothills Mall - Fort Collins, CO.

The new shopping centers out on I-25 have pretty much killed this mall.

bulkyorled

Antelope Valley Mall - Palmdale, CA
Dead ass mall, always has been but since 2008 lost most of the anchor stores and cant seem to replace them

If we're gonna talk about malls that NEED to die, lets talk Panorama Mall in Panorama City, CA  :spin:
Your local illuminated sign enthusiast

Signs Im looking for: CA only; 1, 2, 14, 118, 134, 170, 210 (CA), and any california city illuminated sign.

Takumi

Quote from: bulkyorled on July 02, 2012, 08:10:45 AM
If we're gonna talk about malls that NEED to die, lets talk Panorama Mall in Panorama City, CA  :spin:

Is that the one with the still-standing Montgomery Ward that was abandoned after an earthquake?

Here in the Richmond area, Fairfield Commons Mall is the closest to death.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

bulkyorled

QuoteIs that the one with the still-standing Montgomery Ward that was abandoned after an earthquake?

I'm surprised someone else knew about that damn thing. Not even just the mall itself but the nearly 20 year old abandon Montgomery Ward building that still has the MW sign + Electric Avenue building on the side need to go.
The area surrounding the mall is just old but directly at the mall/Walmart and on the streets that are in the immediate vicinity are scary as hell. Tijuana to the max.
Your local illuminated sign enthusiast

Signs Im looking for: CA only; 1, 2, 14, 118, 134, 170, 210 (CA), and any california city illuminated sign.

Road Hog

Quote from: Zmapper on July 02, 2012, 01:50:07 AM
Foothills Mall - Fort Collins, CO.

The new shopping centers out on I-25 have pretty much killed this mall.

Same thing is happening in Sherman, TX twice. The original old mall shut down 20 years ago when they built a new one. Now the second mall is being sucked dry by the town center right off the U.S. 75 freeway. Nearly all malls will be extinct in another 20 years, all in the interest of drive-up convenience, which is a damn shame. Walking the mall was kind of the point.

agentsteel53

don't forget online convenience.  I mail-order damn near everything these days.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Roadsguy

Not probably, but the King of Prussia Mall should die. More road room. :bigass:
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

jdb1234

blawp

BigMattFromTexas

Crossroads Mall in San Antonio.. Everyone pretty much goes to the North Star Mall, right up 410.
It's strange that this mall is dying, cause it's in a perfect location. I-10 and I-410..
BigMatt

Brandon

Charlestowne Mall, St. Charles, IL - Built on the wrong side of town as most of the retail activity has been along the Randall Road corridor.

That's probably the deadest mall in Chicagoland.  The others, Randhurst, Lakehurst, etc, died a while ago, and some, Lincoln Mall, are in limbo.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

golden eagle

Metrocenter Mall in Jackson is near a ghost-town. Southland Mall in Memphis is on the way down too.

Roadgeek Adam

Nanuet Mall in Nanuet, New York is finally dying, that would've been #1 on my list, but no longer. Palisades Center put that mall in the red forever.

Wayne Towne Center in Wayne, New Jersey needs to go. Again, nearby Willowbrook Mall has eaten that thing alive.

This is what I get for speaking before reading, it has been effectively demolished.

I'd argue axing Brunswick Square in East Brunswick NJ, but its a popular hangout spot probably desperately in need of a 2nd floor.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

blawp

Quote from: BigMattFromTexas on July 02, 2012, 03:36:37 PM
Crossroads Mall in San Antonio.. Everyone pretty much goes to the North Star Mall, right up 410.
It's strange that this mall is dying, cause it's in a perfect location. I-10 and I-410..
BigMatt

I checked the map. Looks like access to the mall is pretty awful because of the freeway ramps. Not everything at the junction of two major freeways is an "ideal" location.

Alps

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on July 02, 2012, 06:29:02 PM
Nanuet Mall in Nanuet, New York is finally dying, that would've been #1 on my list, but no longer. Palisades Center put that mall in the red forever.
Yeah that bitch is ginormous. One of the largest in the world, actually, by shopping area.
Wayne Towne Center in Wayne, New Jersey needs to go. Again, nearby Willowbrook Mall has eaten that thing alive.

This is what I get for speaking before reading, it has been effectively demolished.
It wasn't that Willowbrook was competition - I think a lot of people just thought the whole thing was Willowbrook. Fortunoff failed on its own, and JC Penney wasn't far behind, and those were the two "anchors". Additionally, West Belt Plaza (as locals call it, even though that was only the part right along 23) did not have a cohesive core, just a bunch of outbuildings and the 90-degree strip mall.

corco

QuoteCharlestowne Mall, St. Charles, IL - Built on the wrong side of town as most of the retail activity has been along the Randall Road corridor.

That's probably the deadest mall in Chicagoland.  The others, Randhurst, Lakehurst, etc, died a while ago, and some, Lincoln Mall, are in limbo.

Wow- that makes me feel old. I lived in Geneva from 1989-1997 and the place used to be the place to go- it was hopping.

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: Steve on July 02, 2012, 11:20:43 PM
Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on July 02, 2012, 06:29:02 PM
Yeah that bitch is ginormous. One of the largest in the world, actually, by shopping area.

It wasn't that Willowbrook was competition - I think a lot of people just thought the whole thing was Willowbrook. Fortunoff failed on its own, and JC Penney wasn't far behind, and those were the two "anchors". Additionally, West Belt Plaza (as locals call it, even though that was only the part right along 23) did not have a cohesive core, just a bunch of outbuildings and the 90-degree strip mall.

I never really counted Willowbrook and Wayne TC as the same place. West Belt Mall is pretty forgettable in itself. I feel like Willowbrook would've killed of that mall some point if it hadn't already.

As for Palisades Center, I have walked the entire mall in one sitting, its a great place to be at.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

DandyDan

Quote from: Brandon on July 02, 2012, 04:43:05 PM
Charlestowne Mall, St. Charles, IL - Built on the wrong side of town as most of the retail activity has been along the Randall Road corridor.

I used to live in St. Charles 1987-96 and I thought it was the best thing that ever happened at the time.  Of course, the irony is that Charlestowne killed off the old St. Charles Mall.  I don't think they had any sense of what Randall Road ended up being then.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

RoadWarrior56

Gwinnett Place Mall northeast of Atlanta has been dying a slow death for a decade.  It is still not dead yet, but it is heading in that direction.

Washington Square Mall in Evansville IN is more or less already dead.
Lafayette Square in Indianapolis is pretty dead too.

golden eagle

Quote from: RoadWarrior56 on July 03, 2012, 06:50:45 AM
Gwinnett Place Mall northeast of Atlanta has been dying a slow death for a decade.  It is still not dead yet, but it is heading in that direction.

I lived in Gwinnett County about a decade ago. Seemed pretty lively to me. Granted, I haven't been there since I left in 2002. But I can see how, with Discover Mills and the Forum at Peachtree Corners (which opened after I moved away) cutting into their market share.

jdb1234

Quote from: golden eagle on July 03, 2012, 07:34:24 PM
Quote from: RoadWarrior56 on July 03, 2012, 06:50:45 AM

I lived in Gwinnett County about a decade ago. Seemed pretty lively to me. Granted, I haven't been there since I left in 2002. But I can see how, with Discover Mills and the Forum at Peachtree Corners (which opened after I moved away) cutting into their market share.

You forgot to mention the Mall of Georgia opened in 1999 in that area.

golden eagle

Mall of Georgia is a little further out, so that's why I didn't mention them. Notl that it isn't a valid point. I guess Peachtree Corners could be just as far from Gwinnett Place as Mall of GA. But I still would've believed that with as much business activity along Satellite Boulevard and Pleasant Hill Road, that Gwinnett Place is a viable mall.

US12

Northland Mall- Southfield Michigan (Detroit) place is a dump

DaBigE

Grand Avenue - Downtown Milwaukee, WI. Although, there are a few stores left (but continually decreasing). It's definitely in the ICU on life support...but not far from the morgue.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.