Curve signs with the advisory speed in the sign

Started by Takumi, July 16, 2012, 02:55:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takumi

I saw several of these in Suffolk, VA this weekend. This example is on VA 125.

Has anyone ever seen these elsewhere?
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

1995hoo

I have seen that sort of sign in multiple places in the US, although I could not name such a location for you off the top of my head.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

myosh_tino

Curve signs with advisory speed limits are very common out here in California.  There are two black-on-yellow curve signs in the latest SHSM book... W1-1a and W1-2a.

California has a total of 6 curve signs that include an advisory speed.  These are W4-1(CA), W4-4(CA), W4-7(CA), W4-10(CA), W4-14(CA) and W4-18(CA).

W4-4(CA) and W4-7(CA) seemed to be slightly modified versions of the federal W1-1a and W1-2a signs.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

agentsteel53

they are the standard here in CA, and have been so for many years.  I am not sure how long - 1971 maybe?  I don't recall any of my 50s and 60s signing manuals having them.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

PurdueBill

California has had them for a long time indeed (first place I ever saw them) and they have worked their way into the national MUTCD.  Even the City of Akron sign shop makes and installs them now, and they had always been notoriously old-fashioned (old fonts, etc.).

The specific variant in the picture, though, seems to be a cross between two sign types (W1-10 and W1-2a).  Interesting...possibly should be a W1-10 with an advisory speed plaque below it by the rules--not that it's necessarily that hard to figure out.

hbelkins

Beginning to see these more frequently in Kentucky.  I like them. They eliminate the need for a separate advisory speed plate, thus saving money on materials and installation/replacement costs.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Several of these have appeared, in the last year, about a mile down the road from my house, on a Morrow County (Ohio) highway.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

roadfro

Nevada has borrowed this design from California on occasion. Saw a couple examples of new installations recently, but can't recall where (maybe US 95 in Goldfield).
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

formulanone

They're recent to Florida, as well...hadn't noticed them until mid-2011.

US71

Arkansas is beginning to use them on a limited basis.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

agentsteel53

Quote from: roadfro on July 17, 2012, 04:07:28 AM
Nevada has borrowed this design from California on occasion. Saw a couple examples of new installations recently, but can't recall where (maybe US 95 in Goldfield).

the giant 30mph truck tipping warning sign on US-95 northbound goes back to 2006, if not even further back, from what I recall.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Special K

A TURN symbol with a speed advisory message appears at least as far back as the 2000 MUTCD.

adt1982

They are becoming pretty common here in Illinois.

realjd

Quote from: formulanone on July 17, 2012, 06:37:53 AM
They're recent to Florida, as well...hadn't noticed them until mid-2011.

There's one on the road to my house in Palm Bay. It was there in 2008 when I bought the house and it was by no means a new sign.

6a

These have been around Columbus for a couple years now.  It's one of those designs where I saw it and thought "now why haven't they been doing it this way all along?"

FreewayDan

LEFT ON GREEN
ARROW ONLY

kphoger

Makes more sense than this setup near here:

Here is the view from a four-way stop.  That's right, every single driver approaching this curve is coming from a stop, yet gets a 30 mph advisory tab.  Wouldn't want to speed up to 40 mph in ten yards, after all.
http://goo.gl/maps/M7hm

In contrast, here is the view from the other direction, where traffic has been going in a straight line at 45 mph for ¾ mile.  No speed advisory tab.  Where did it go?  Who knows?  If it had been part and parcel with the curve sign, it wouldn't have gone anywhere.
http://goo.gl/maps/nFFY
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

cpzilliacus

I have heard this sign (Google Street View) on the Outer Loop of I-495 (Capital Beltway) as it approaches the merge with I-270Y in North Bethesda, Maryland called a "we're not kidding" sign.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

national highway 1

Here's an example, rarely found in Australia, on the Great Ocean Road, in Victoria:

Meanwhile, across the Tasman in New Zealand, AFAIK I believe they are used a little, as evidenced in these signing plans:

A more extreme example:

Quote from: FreewayDan on July 17, 2012, 10:29:55 PM

In Houston, the advisory speed is separated from the curve and tipping truck:

Ramps to I-610 North Loop from northbound U.S. 59 by FreewayDan, on Flickr

Larger verison of these signs:

I guess this version used in Australia and New Zealand is a lot bigger, usually placed in pairs like gateposts before an upcoming sharp curve:

(speed is in km/h)
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

deathtopumpkins

Several of the Hampton Roads cities have begun using these signs, as has VDOT I believe. Can't recall seeing them anywhere else though, and certainly not anywhere up here.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

JREwing78

I'm not a fan because the additional small sign is a cue that there's a specific speed deemed safe, v.s. a general bend in the road requiring no slowdown. Having the speed in the sign requires someone to spend more mental energy looking at the sign v.s. the road.

It really hasn't tripped me up, but I could see how it would.

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: JREwing78 on July 19, 2012, 08:20:43 PM
I'm not a fan because the additional small sign is a cue that there's a specific speed deemed safe, v.s. a general bend in the road requiring no slowdown. Having the speed in the sign requires someone to spend more mental energy looking at the sign v.s. the road.

It really hasn't tripped me up, but I could see how it would.

If anything I think looking at the number and arrow on ONE sign instead of the traditional TWO signs would actually require LESS mental energy. You can look at it and get all the information once, rather than "oh there's a curve ahead" *looks down at the next sign* "ah, advisory speed 45".
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

kphoger

Both systems are better than having no advisory speed posted at all, which is the norm in México.  However, I find it México to have a more reliable distinction between curve and elbow bends.

I personally prefer separate tabs; it just annoys me when they're not . . . perfect.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

codyg1985

Hasn't made it to Alabama yet as far as I know, at least not widespread.

There is one on I-610 westbound in New Orleans right before you go through the City Park. It isn't on Google Street View, though.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.