News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

US 92

Started by DollarBill, July 18, 2012, 02:04:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DollarBill

Its been a while.

If theres a thread on US 92 stop me now......

Why exactly does US 92 exist? It doesnt cross the florida state line, so shouldnt it be a state highway? The fact that it passes through several major cities shouldnt be a reason, there are many heavy and major state highways around the country(there are simple minded people who believe that US highways are "on a higher level" than state highways, when theres only one difference.....).

NE2

Because the greenies cancelled the bridge to New Orleans.

The U.S. and Interstate systems are systems. US 92 fits into that system.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

DollarBill

I dont get the first part of your post....

I know about the US and interstate highway numbering system. But if that was the issue then US 98 could have easily been US 92 instead.

NE2

The first part is sarcasm.

I don't see what US 98 has to do with this. US 92 is part of a connected system.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

DollarBill

Yes its part of the system but thats not a real answer! Im sure its some kind of reasoning behind US 92 and why it doesnt cross the state line. 98 doesnt have anything to do with anything, i was just saying if they wanted a "US 92" that bad, 98's route could have easily been 92.

Yes 92 fits in the US numbering system pretty good, but in my opinion its stupid to have a US hwy that never crosses the state line. Just a waste of a number. 92 could have easily became a state highway instead.

NE2

US 92 was (and still is) a state highway. The planners decided it was an important route in the system and gave it a U.S. Highway designation. Sorry if that "wastes" a number that could have been better-applied in Cuba.

corco

The route itself may not cross state lines, but it's part of a system of routes that cross state lines. Before the development of the interstate, traffic travelling from the east coast north of Florida to the cities of Tampa and Orlando would have been likely to use US-92, so it's part of a greater network. I

t basically forms part of a corridor for interstate travel- the fact that the route itself doesn't cross a state line is irrelevant.

The system is designed to facilitate interstate travel- that's why US-92 and I-86 west get to be routes but ID/MT/ND/MN 200 in the north and WY/NE/IA/IL 92 across the plains do not- those are local routes that just happen to cross state lines. Nobody drives those highways end to end for long haul travel. US 92 is part of a major corridor.

formulanone

US 92 was part of the original US Route plan in 1926. In later years, "short" intrastate routes were doled out a lot less frequently, some even cancelled.

If anything, US 192 is the one that's an odd duck; but I can't imagine it just disappearing, as it serves a lot of businesses in the Walt Disney World area.

agentsteel53

Quote from: corco on July 18, 2012, 02:42:16 PM
ID/MT/ND/MN 200 in the north ... Nobody drives those highways end to end for long haul travel.

I do.  not just for end-to-end roadgeeking purposes (2006), as I found 200 to be quite an amenable drive on a 2009 trip when I needed to get from approximately Missoula to approximately Bemidji.

certainly that was shunpiking (given all the little towns 200 goes through vs. the directness of I-94), but if US-2 and US-10/I-94 were not upgraded over the years, would those have really been objectively better routings than 200?

there are lots of US routes of only regional importance, even less important than the 200 corridor.  North Carolina seems to be replete with them.  US-501?  US-701? 

I'd say MSR-200 has more transcontinental importance than US-421, which is of comparable length but is likely used most to get to a town ten miles down the road.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

US routes seem to be up to the whim of the state. The southeastern states love them, northeastern states tend to shun them, and Western states have all but done away with them.

The High Plains Traveler

The route itself may not cross state lines, but it's part of a system of routes that cross state lines. Before the development of the interstate, traffic travelling from the east coast north of Florida to the cities of Tampa and Orlando would have been likely to use US-92, so it's part of a greater network. I

t basically forms part of a corridor for interstate travel- the fact that the route itself doesn't cross a state line is irrelevant.

The system is designed to facilitate interstate travel- that's why US-92 and I-86 west get to be routes but ID/MT/ND/MN 200 in the north and WY/NE/IA/IL 92 across the plains do not- those are local routes that just happen to cross state lines. Nobody drives those highways end to end for long haul travel. US 92 is part of a major corridor.
I think AASHTO changed their numbering policies in the 1930s, though, once most of the currently existing single-state routes were established. They make it very clear in their policy statement that state routes provide just as good connectivity, and it's appropriate to use state designations for major routes. It's only when the route crosses a state line and provides a major interstate connection that the U.S. designation is justified. U.S. 92 is further diminished in a sense because its main cities are also connected by I-4. Unless, of course, it's intended to provide a corridor between the states of West Florida and East Florida.

Despite its numbering policy, AASHTO has violated it over the years since it was first put in place. Also, they don't exactly pursue states who do not heed their admonition to change the single-state routes to state-numbered routes or combine with other existing U.S. routes.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

NE2

Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on July 18, 2012, 06:55:11 PM
Despite its numbering policy, AASHTO has violated it over the years since it was first put in place.
Even when it was put in place: US 830 never touched US 30.

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: NE2 on July 18, 2012, 07:21:23 PM
Despite its numbering policy, AASHTO has violated it over the years since it was first put in place.
True, though to me a parallel route separated from its parent route by a wide river wasn't really a violation as much as a creative application of the rules.  U.S. 220 never came close to reaching U.S. 20, did it? AASH(T)O though did approve such routes contrary to its 1930s policies such as U.S. 156 in Kansas, created in 1956; or U.S. 57 in Texas, created in the early 1970s. I understand the rationale as such for the latter route, but extension into a neighboring country isn't in the AASHTO guidelines for route numbering.

NE2

Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on July 18, 2012, 08:21:09 PM
U.S. 220 never came close to reaching U.S. 20, did it?
But it crossed US 120, which touched US 20 at Erie, at least in the 1925 plan.

DollarBill

Quote from: NE2 on July 18, 2012, 02:33:25 PM
US 92 was (and still is) a state highway. The planners decided it was an important route in the system and gave it a U.S. Highway designation. Sorry if that "wastes" a number that could have been better-applied in Cuba.

The only real difference in state highways and US highways is that one crosses the states borders and the other doesnt. There are plenty of state highways that carry statewide and/or transcontinental traffic across the state, even if they dont cross the border. If what yall are saying is true, then CA 99 would have been a US highway instead of a state highway....

Ive never traveled US 92, but im sure its a major 4 lane highway that goes somewhere around the state capital to miami. That highway could have still been able to do its job as a state highway as long as they used major control cities.

QuoteI think AASHTO changed their numbering policies in the 1930s, though, once most of the currently existing single-state routes were established. They make it very clear in their policy statement that state routes provide just as good connectivity, and it's appropriate to use state designations for major routes. It's only when the route crosses a state line and provides a major interstate connection that the U.S. designation is justified. U.S. 92 is further diminished in a sense because its main cities are also connected by I-4. Unless, of course, it's intended to provide a corridor between the states of West Florida and East Florida.

Despite its numbering policy, AASHTO has violated it over the years since it was first put in place. Also, they don't exactly pursue states who do not heed their admonition to change the single-state routes to state-numbered routes or combine with other existing U.S. routes.

This...

Fixed the quote tag. - Alex

formulanone

Quote from: DollarBill on July 19, 2012, 10:24:07 AM
Ive never traveled US 92, but im sure its a major 4 lane highway that goes somewhere around the state capital to miami. That highway could have still been able to do its job as a state highway as long as they used major control cities.

US 92 varies from 8-lane highway (in parts of Daytona Beach) to 2-lanes (east of Tampa).

It doesn't come within 250 miles of Miami.

agentsteel53

Quote from: DollarBill on July 19, 2012, 10:24:07 AM

The only real difference in state highways and US highways is that one crosses the states borders and the other doesnt. There are plenty of state highways that carry statewide and/or transcontinental traffic across the state, even if they dont cross the border. If what yall are saying is true, then CA 99 would have been a US highway instead of a state highway....

troll.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

formulanone

The secret state road number is 600. Happy now?

jwolfer

Quote from: DollarBill on July 18, 2012, 02:04:44 PM
Its been a while.

If theres a thread on US 92 stop me now......

Why exactly does US 92 exist? It doesnt cross the florida state line, so shouldnt it be a state highway? The fact that it passes through several major cities shouldnt be a reason, there are many heavy and major state highways around the country(there are simple minded people who believe that US highways are "on a higher level" than state highways, when theres only one difference.....).

Using your logic all 1 state Interstat Highways should be elimiated.  "It and Interstate highway and yet it does not cross state line"  So would you want to elimate I-4 since it does not leave Florida?

To back up your point US-92 multiplexes for a good portion of its route with US17.

But that being said, I like where it fits in the grid.  The geography of Florida is the reason for the quirk. Its a penisula that extends 300+ miles south of the US being a rectangle. The original plans has US-94 from Miami to Naples but that was made an extention of 41.  There really is not a logical US Hwy extention to over take 92

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: DollarBill on July 19, 2012, 02:23:40 PM
:rolleyes:

I guess you tryna be funny hunh. It was just a question and honestly a good one! You act like you the almighty god of the highway network.

The high plains traveler confirmed my point.

What I didn't mention in my initial response, since everyone on this board knows or should know it, is that U.S. 92 was properly established in the 1920s under the original numbering criteria. AASHO - the T came much later - changed the numbering rules later, and so far it hasn't sent jackbooted thugs to tear down the markers on the remaining offending routes. (Segue to comments on the colored U.S. signage in Florida).

This is a civil board, so please don't cite me in your flame wars.

Takumi

The current standards say that single state US routes should be at least 300 miles, right? I think only US 158 meets that criterion.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

national highway 1

Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on July 18, 2012, 08:21:09 PM
True, though to me a parallel route separated from its parent route by a wide river wasn't really a violation as much as a creative application of the rules.  U.S. 220 never came close to reaching U.S. 20, did it? AASH(T)O though did approve such routes contrary to its 1930s policies such as U.S. 156 in Kansas, created in 1956; or U.S. 57 in Texas, created in the early 1970s. I understand the rationale as such for the latter route, but extension into a neighboring country isn't in the AASHTO guidelines for route numbering.
Wasn't 220 supposed to continue up NY 4 from Waverly?
I do understand US 57 and MX 57 connecting San Antonio to Mexico City, but really it should have been US 381 (US 81 was truncated in 1993), or US 483.
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: Takumi on July 19, 2012, 07:34:03 PM
The current standards say that single state US routes should be at least 300 miles, right? I think only US 158 meets that criterion.
290 in Texas did until the westernmost concurrent/closely parallel portion with I-10 was truncated, so maybe AASHTO would consider it grandfathered. 58 did until the west junction at Cumberland Gap was moved slightly into Tennessee. Other than that, 300 miles is a pretty tough hurdle, if applied strictly. Since AASHTO isn't a regulatory agency, the whole enforcement discussion is academic - states have to initiate changes within their own borders.

florida

My opinion (since it's not fact), US 92 and US 192 form a connected routing across Central Florida where there is no other east-west US highway connecting both coasts of Florida. US 90 stays way north, and US 98 is the facilitating route that side-steps through podunk towns to West Palm Beach way to the south.

US 192 is one of the only four connections from Brevard County to the Orlando area.

Yes, US 92 is hardly ever alone and always in I-4's shadow, but it does provide a consistent alternate to I-4 in case of horrible car pileups and other atrocities that happen on I-4.
So many roads...so little time.

DollarBill

Quote from: jwolfer on July 19, 2012, 02:42:55 PM

Using your logic all 1 state Interstat Highways should be elimiated.  "It and Interstate highway and yet it does not cross state line"  So would you want to elimate I-4 since it does not leave Florida?

Well.......IMO the interstate system is a system all its own. They dont have to cross state lines, just as long as they provide a nice connection from at least one city to another, or from a city to a main interstate. Im sure US 92 is the only exception, but US highways were specifically created for state to state travel, so it only makes sense for it to cross a border at least once. Otherwise the US part is really irrelevant. Some people think its about volume and the type of traffic it carries that make a highway a US highway. Thats not the case.

Quote from: jwolfer on July 19, 2012, 02:42:55 PM
To back up your point US-92 multiplexes for a good portion of its route with US17.

But that being said, I like where it fits in the grid.  The geography of Florida is the reason for the quirk. Its a penisula that extends 300+ miles south of the US being a rectangle. The original plans has US-94 from Miami to Naples but that was made an extention of 41.  There really is not a logical US Hwy extention to over take 92

Yes US 92 did squeeze in the grid nicely. But multiplexing with US 17 and and following I-4 only makes US 92 sound even more irrelevant. It is what it is though. Im glad there isnt a US 94, it only would have added to the irrelevancy.....

Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on July 19, 2012, 06:51:42 PM
What I didn't mention in my initial response, since everyone on this board knows or should know it, is that U.S. 92 was properly established in the 1920s under the original numbering criteria. AASHO - the T came much later - changed the numbering rules later, and so far it hasn't sent jackbooted thugs to tear down the markers on the remaining offending routes. (Segue to comments on the colored U.S. signage in Florida).

This is a civil board, so please don't cite me in your flame wars.

Wasnt starting anything, or even draggin you in this, i just came to the realization that there are indeed assholes on this board.

Quote from: florida on July 19, 2012, 11:48:46 PM
My opinion (since it's not fact), US 92 and US 192 form a connected routing across Central Florida where there is no other east-west US highway connecting both coasts of Florida. US 90 stays way north, and US 98 is the facilitating route that side-steps through podunk towns to West Palm Beach way to the south.

US 192 is one of the only four connections from Brevard County to the Orlando area.

Yes, US 92 is hardly ever alone and always in I-4's shadow, but it does provide a consistent alternate to I-4 in case of horrible car pileups and other atrocities that happen on I-4.

You could be right, but if florida really wanted another high priority highway connecting the atlantic to the gulf of mexico that bad, IMO, there could have easily been an I-2, or an I-x04(or another toll road). Otherwise a state highway would have been fine. The type of highway shouldnt affect the priority. It could be a full time divided highway or a freeway if florida wanted it to be. Back to my example of CA hwy 99. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.