News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Barry Bridge Stub End?

Started by Roadsguy, August 14, 2012, 01:36:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadsguy

There's a stub end ramp at the I-95 end of the Barry Bridge in Chester, PA. Where would it have gone? There were plans for an expressway from the western (southern?) split of 95 and 322, but none that I know of from the bridge. Or would this have been a local ramp that was protested because it would bring too much traffic?
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

PHLBOS

Looking at a Google Earth image, the only stub end I see is along the right-hand side of the ramp from the bridge to I-95 North.  It looks like it would have gone to either W 13th St. or Concord Ave. (both of which run parallel to I-95) in Chester.

My guess would be that this ramp was planned to be a local ramp but dropped due to residential opposition per your latter question. 
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Alps

W 13th looks like the ideal candidate. Have y'all checked Historic Aerials? (EDIT: won't matter, nothing there)

NE2

Checked historic aerials, and old topos, and old PennDOT county maps - nothing.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

PHLBOS

Anybody here work for the DRPA?  If any plans existed, it would probably have been one of their projects.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Hot Rod Hootenanny

From Steve Anderson's webpage on the Barry Bridge:
QuoteCONTROVERSIAL CONNECTION TO I-95: For more than two years, access on the Chester side of the side was limited to ramps connecting to 9th Street (US 13). Residents of the Fairground housing development, fearing that their neighborhood would be severed, had delayed the opening of an elevated approach along Flower Street, and an interchange with the Delaware Expressway (I-95). Finally, in October 1976, the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) opened the connecting ramps between the bridge and I-95 to traffic after promising to make provisions for reconnecting the neighborhood.

http://www.phillyroads.com/crossings/commodore-barry/
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

NE2

Which doesn't mention any stub ramps.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: NE2 on August 15, 2012, 09:41:24 PM
Which doesn't mention any stub ramps.

Sorry to disapoint you.
That stub was either for a slip ramp to Concord Ave. or the geometry for the interchange has been altered in my lifetime.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Beltway

It looks like (on Google Maps) that if completed it would be a local access offramp.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Alex

Digging through my map archives, I found an official Delaware County map from 1976 that shows distributor roadways along side Interstate 95 from Kerlin Street west to beyond the U.S. 322 / Barry Bridge interchange. The cartography is not fully accurate, but the westbound c/d roadway provides most of the functionality illustrated here. The eastbound c/d roadway was not built and explains the stub, which would have provided access to the Kerlin Street ramp from US 322 west independent of I-95 north. There are some other interesting things I noted on this map which I will post on a new thread.

NE2

Very plausible, though Concord Road would have had to be moved.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Alex on August 16, 2012, 11:09:56 AM
Digging through my map archives, I found an official Delaware County map from 1976 that shows distributor roadways along side Interstate 95 from Kerlin Street west to beyond the U.S. 322 / Barry Bridge interchange. The cartography is not fully accurate, but the westbound c/d roadway provides most of the functionality illustrated here. The eastbound c/d roadway was not built and explains the stub, which would have provided access to the Kerlin Street ramp from US 322 west independent of I-95 north.
Interesting find.  It looks like both the US 322 East and Kerlin St. exits from I-95 North would have been as one exit with a long ramp to Kerlin St.

Not to get nitpicky, but I don't believe one can necessarily call the long ramp from Kerlin St. to I-95 South/US 322 West (which exists) and the non-existent long ramp from I-95 North/US 322 East to Kerlin St. c/d roadways.  If I'm not mistaken, C/D roadways begin and end at the mainline highway.

In retrospect and MHO, the long ramp ramp from I-95 North/US 322 East to Kerlin St. should've been built.  It would've eliminated some traffic weaving.

Looks like the county map was obsolete even then.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Roadgeek2500

possibly I-476 it was proposed there
Quote from: NE2 on December 20, 2013 - DRPA =Derpa

PHLBOS

Quote from: Roadgeek2500 on October 08, 2012, 05:54:33 PM
possibly I-476 it was proposed there
Nope.  The 'stub' ramps to the Blue Route (I-476) were built at the same time I-95 was built (early 1970s) and are located at its current location (now fully-active) about a mile northeast of the Commodore Barry Bridge (US 322 East) interchange.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Roadgeek2500

Yeah I see that

Post Merge: October 21, 2012, 08:37:30 PM

It must be the C/D then
Quote from: NE2 on December 20, 2013 - DRPA =Derpa

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.