News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

BGSes in Google Maps?!

Started by yakra, August 25, 2012, 11:00:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yakra

I was just checking out Google Maps in San Antonio, and there are totally little polygonal overlays on I-37 where the BGSes are.
Most awesomest thing ever ever!
Helped me put the little GMSV man right where I wanted him, yes sir!
SB @ Exit 141B
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

NE2

Heh. Someone had fun drawing them as buildings, I bet. Too bad that ramp looks like absolute shit, leaving at a 90 degree angle.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Roadsguy

I know. Google's new(?) mapping philosophy is to have a ramp split where the deceleration lane starts, not where the gore is, and to have freeways end at the last ramp peel-off, not the first intersection, but that weird ramp is just ridiculous.

OSM + pipe-dreamy, unlikely satellite view = best map ever :)
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Roadsguy on August 26, 2012, 09:46:15 AM
I know. Google's new(?) mapping philosophy is to have a ramp split where the deceleration lane starts, not where the gore is, and to have freeways end at the last ramp peel-off, not the first intersection, but that weird ramp is just ridiculous.

Almost reminds me of the original, 1990's versions of the U.S. Census Bureau's TIGER (Topologically Integrated Geographic Encoding and Referencing) files, on which I believe OSM was originally based.

Lots of ugly stuff in those files (especially cloverleaf interchanges).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

NE2

Quote from: cpzilliacus on August 26, 2012, 10:03:59 AM
Almost reminds me of the original, 1990's versions of the U.S. Census Bureau's TIGER (Topologically Integrated Geographic Encoding and Referencing) files, on which I believe OSM was originally based.
And Google. A lot of the street names in rural areas still come from TIGER (e.g. the "county roads" here). But this ramp geometry doesn't look like anything TIGER has.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

vdeane

I suspect that Google doesn't have many unified practices any more since the rise of map maker.  Everything is to the whim of each person who submits approved changes.  There is now a culture of "draw it from the satellite imagery" these days; matching the map to the imagery is more important than having an accurate map.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Roadsguy

Which is why if the imagery shows construction, and it's finished by now (like the ICC), they're out of luck, so they just scribble all over it. :)
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

NE2

You get that in OSM too. Someone offered to "fix" the under-construction part of SR 429 by re-drawing the recently-demolished former alignment, since it's still open on the aerials :banghead:

vtk

This is actually a side-effect of someone making the BGSes appear in Google Earth:

There are also signs for several businesses and a couple of billboards – most with recognizable brands – appearing as 3D buildings in the background of this shot.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Henry

Quote from: vtk on August 26, 2012, 10:17:30 PM
This is actually a side-effect of someone making the BGSes appear in Google Earth:

There are also signs for several businesses and a couple of billboards — most with recognizable brands — appearing as 3D buildings in the background of this shot.
Nice! I wonder what the link is that would make them look like that.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.