News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

Sine salad

Started by hbelkins, August 29, 2012, 10:25:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ekt8750

Quote from: SignGeek101 on December 26, 2014, 09:11:48 PM
Don't know if you can consider this a salad, but I'll post it.

NOT my pic. Credit goes to author:

http://selkiegrey4.blogspot.ca/2012/11/iceberg-alley-labrador.html

What's with the Whale Route sign? Do whales frequent the freeway or something? :-D

SignGeek101

Quote from: ekt8750 on December 28, 2014, 07:58:02 PM

(IMAGE)

What's with the Whale Route sign? Do whales frequent the freeway or something? :-D

QC 138 is near the mouth of the St. Lawrence river, which I'm guessing is salt water, so I guess it's possible that whales visit that area.

1995hoo

Quote from: ekt8750 on December 28, 2014, 07:58:02 PM

I highly doubt you could call a road in that area a "freeway" unless you work for WVDOT!!!
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

andy3175

Quote from: hbelkins on November 20, 2014, 02:24:08 PM
The discussion of I-381 made me hungry for some Virginia sine salad (not to be confused with Virginia baked ham).

This shield assembly in particular is one that I distinctly remember seeing in Bristol when I last visited, and I thought wow, they sure wouldn't have this sort of thing in California!
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

SignGeek101

This is one of the bigger ones I've seen in Canada.

http://goo.gl/maps/8giq1

Mapmikey

Here is some historic sine salad.  Nothing I tried with my photo viewing program made this much easier to see.

There are 9 cutout shields:

Far right: US 29 and US 70 with a single BUSINESS banner
Center (from left to right): US 29 and US 70 with a single BYPASS banner plus a US 52 shield underneath; the 2 cutouts in the middle of this assemblage are likely TO US 64 West and TO US 64 East cutouts; the 2 to the right are US 29 and US 70 with a single BUSINESS banner
Left of the gaggle of cutouts: non-cutouts and also not white border US 29, US 70, and US 52 shields.  Above the US 29 shield is an I-85 shield.  Cannot tell if the banner says NORTH or TEMP or TEMPORARY.

This interchange was totally destroyed and rebuilt north of here.  But you can still access the ramp that is off to the right which is Brian Center Rd leaving Grimes Blvd: https://goo.gl/maps/6DQ4n

Mapmikey

hbelkins

I can always find some goodies when I go looking through some of my old photo pages, like this one from Virginia.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

AsphaltPlanet

About as complicated as they get in Ontario:

AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

SignGeek101

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on January 25, 2015, 08:24:26 PM

Is that helvetica direction sign newer than the FWHA sign or older? I don't know why Ontario uses Helvetica for directions. I think it looks ugly.

AsphaltPlanet

^ Both directional tabs were probably put up at the same time.  This sign assembly wasn't that old when this photo was taken.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

ctsignguy

Let's see...if i was still with my ex-SO in Toronto, i would piss her off by looking at that assembly and make remarks about "Which way on US 6 do we want?  Interstate 401 or Interstate 403?"
Her response would be to hit my arm and tell me in a grouchy tone  "It is NOT US 6!!   We are NOT in the United States!"
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

freebrickproductions

Here's another good helping of Huntsville, AL salad:
US 231/US 431/ US 72 by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

freebrickproductions

I sure hope y'all are hungry because I've got a lot of salad from Alabama!
Attalla:
US 431/US 278 by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

US 431/US 278/US 11 by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

Florence:
US 43/US 72/AL 13/AL 133 by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
(^^^^That has to be one of the larger set-ups, if not largest set-up, I've seen in person)

US 43/US 72/AL 13/AL 133 by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

AL 17/AL 133/AL 157 by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

AL 17/AL 133/AL 157 by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

JoePCool14

Quote from: SignGeek101 on January 25, 2015, 09:10:50 PM

Is that helvetica direction sign newer than the FWHA sign or older? I don't know why Ontario uses Helvetica for directions. I think it looks ugly.
Actually I think it'd look better if they didn't use condensed FHWA. The Helvetica here actually doesn't bother me too much.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

freebrickproductions

(They/Them)

Mergingtraffic

Here's a child size salad:

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Brandon

Smaller one in Bloomington, on one sign with a clearview numeral:

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Zeffy

That entire IL 9 sign is in Clearview. Ugh...

Also, BUSN for a business route? That's a new one.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

SignGeek101

Quote from: Zeffy on April 05, 2015, 11:56:07 AM
That entire IL 9 sign is in Clearview. Ugh...

Also, BUSN for a business route? That's a new one.

Rather see Clearview than this:

http://goo.gl/maps/wNY1V

It would be nice if they added the directions for highway 4 (north and south).

freebrickproductions

Another one from Decatur, AL:
US 31/AL 67 by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

(They/Them)

mwb1848

This little bit of Sign Salad from Selma, Ala., is among my earliest sign memories.

I always thought it was interested that ALDOT felt compelled to sign mainline U.S. 80, which was relocated to a bypass around the city, as both US 80 and Truck US 80. The old Broad Street alignment carried the Business U.S. 80 designation. Understandable, though, as a means to underscore that most thru trucks simply can't traverse the city by taking Broad Street to the Edmund Pettus Bridge.

I've not been back to Selma in years and never snapped a picture while I was there. This blurry GSV will have to do. The heavily blurred shields are U.S. 80 – bringing to FIVE the total number of U.S. 80 variations on display.

jeffandnicole

Some of these 'salads' are like a bowl of lettuce and a drip of dressing.  Not every fricken assembly with a few signs is a salad.

hbelkins

I define "sine salad" as an assembly with five or more route markers.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Zeffy

Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

jbnv

Concurrent routes +  statewide signage conventions = Louisiana petite sign salad. Get it with the restaurant garnish. Bon appetit!

(Apologies for the poor quality; these are GSV clips. The last one now has a third restaurant sign. I should try to get my own picture of it.)
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.