AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: Illinois notes  (Read 193769 times)

Revive 755

• Last Login: April 08, 2020, 10:16:03 PM
Re: Illinois notes
« Reply #1750 on: March 17, 2020, 05:00:20 PM »

^

As far as providing for the future, if a rail line is abandoned during planning or construction, the approach has usually been to not build the bridge. On I-55 at the south end of Dwight, the old GM&O branch to Lacon and Washington was removed before I-55 went in and the highway remained at level. However, at Pontiac the old N&W between Fairbury and Streator wasn't quite abandoned and a bridge was designed, but the state was already moving dirt to accommodate the bridge. The abandonment came, and the embankment was already there, so they just filled in the space at the abandoned tracks where the bridge would have gone. One of my former co-workers named it "Mt. Livingston" in honor of Livingston County, and it stands today as a big hump in the road.

Lol, you're right.  There's nothing down there.

I think the mound in question is the one closer to the IL 23 interchange.

The SB I-55 bridge over the old railroad grade north of IL 116 was removed last year - and is already captured by Google Streetview.  The northbound one will likely disappear this year.

EDIT:  As to the bridge on I-55 in Lincoln:  While I could see Lincoln wanting to put a road under there, unless Lincoln really starts booming, I would question whether another cross interstate route would be warranted given the proximity of the 1250th Avenue overpass 1350 feet to the east.  Given the old railroad ROW appears relatively intact, maybe Lincoln is planning on a future bike trail?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 05:06:28 PM by Revive 755 »

edwaleni

• Last Login: Today at 10:28:58 AM
« Reply #1751 on: March 17, 2020, 05:07:25 PM »

I present Mt Livingston.

edwaleni

• Last Login: Today at 10:28:58 AM
« Reply #1752 on: March 17, 2020, 05:26:33 PM »

^

As far as providing for the future, if a rail line is abandoned during planning or construction, the approach has usually been to not build the bridge. On I-55 at the south end of Dwight, the old GM&O branch to Lacon and Washington was removed before I-55 went in and the highway remained at level. However, at Pontiac the old N&W between Fairbury and Streator wasn't quite abandoned and a bridge was designed, but the state was already moving dirt to accommodate the bridge. The abandonment came, and the embankment was already there, so they just filled in the space at the abandoned tracks where the bridge would have gone. One of my former co-workers named it "Mt. Livingston" in honor of Livingston County, and it stands today as a big hump in the road.

Lol, you're right.  There's nothing down there.

I think the mound in question is the one closer to the IL 23 interchange.

The SB I-55 bridge over the old railroad grade north of IL 116 was removed last year - and is already captured by Google Streetview.  The northbound one will likely disappear this year.

EDIT:  As to the bridge on I-55 in Lincoln:  While I could see Lincoln wanting to put a road under there, unless Lincoln really starts booming, I would question whether another cross interstate route would be warranted given the proximity of the 1250th Avenue overpass 1350 feet to the east.  Given the old railroad ROW appears relatively intact, maybe Lincoln is planning on a future bike trail?

Here is today.

And it appears in the strategic plan for Lincoln, it will be a bike trail. So the bridge will stay.

ET21

• Last Login: April 05, 2020, 12:20:53 AM
« Reply #1753 on: March 18, 2020, 02:58:12 PM »

Not gonna lie, IDOT should take advantage of less people on the road and do some repairs along the network, pending of course people are healthy
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where your going, without forgetting where your from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

ChiMilNet

• Last Login: Today at 10:45:39 AM
« Reply #1754 on: March 19, 2020, 07:57:58 PM »

Not gonna lie, IDOT should take advantage of less people on the road and do some repairs along the network, pending of course people are healthy

I have very mixed feelings on this. Part of me thinks that the state should be setting an example and keeping the workers home to be sure. With that, if they ever wanted to a time to pick up some ground on the Circle/Burne Interchange, this would be the time they could do it. Again, I am for safety first, and that should continue to be the priority whatever would be decided.

Rick Powell

• Last Login: April 08, 2020, 07:38:34 PM
« Reply #1755 on: March 19, 2020, 10:23:58 PM »

That was the old Illinois Central branch from Pontiac to Minonk Junction, removed in the late 70s, where it joined the old IC "Gruber Line" from Centralia to Freeport, removed in the mid 80s. And if you go out of Street View to the aerial, you will see two end sections (one on the east side and one on the west) and a grate in the median (for ventilation?), for a tunnel to carry a future trail underneath when both bridges are filled in. For a trail crossing underneath, that's a long way to go in dark conditions, if it's not lighted.  Pontiac's trail plan shows a look through the barrel of the new trail crossing on p. 5.

https://www.pontiac.org/DocumentCenter/View/2116/Trails-Master-Plan-
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 10:46:03 PM by Rick Powell »

JoePCool14

• I'm surrounded by IDiOTs.

• Last Login: April 02, 2020, 11:22:22 AM
« Reply #1756 on: March 21, 2020, 09:16:11 AM »

I have very mixed feelings on this. Part of me thinks that the state should be setting an example and keeping the workers home to be sure. With that, if they ever wanted to a time to pick up some ground on the Circle/Burne Interchange, this would be the time they could do it. Again, I am for safety first, and that should continue to be the priority whatever would be decided.

They probably won't... but they probably should. They'll never get a chance like this again. Also, if more people still get paid, it helps keep the economy from completely collapsing.
:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.

JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
All posts are personal opinion and/or subject to factual error.
Please excuse my early posts; I was much less mature and knowledegable back in the day!

ChiMilNet

• Last Login: Today at 10:45:39 AM
« Reply #1757 on: March 22, 2020, 11:12:09 AM »

They probably won't... but they probably should. They'll never get a chance like this again. Also, if more people still get paid, it helps keep the economy from completely collapsing.

This would be quite the opportunity, for instance, to completely shut down the Burne/Circle and get as much done as they can. They could easily move the schedule back forward by maybe even a year if they really got to it. Also, finish the work on the Kennedy on the NW Side. Again, I say this with the consideration of worker safety first, but doing something like this could easily add some temporary and much needed jobs to infrastructure, something that I would consider essential, especially to keep the supply lines running.

Revive 755

• Last Login: April 08, 2020, 10:16:03 PM
« Reply #1758 on: March 22, 2020, 01:06:50 PM »

^ There may be issues with the Illinois Procurement Code and the Standard Specs which limit opportunities for such changes.  Plus going through other bureaucracy such as the IDOT Detour Committee.

rte66man

• Last Login: April 08, 2020, 09:48:12 PM
« Reply #1759 on: March 25, 2020, 11:04:44 AM »

That was the old Illinois Central branch from Pontiac to Minonk Junction, removed in the late 70s, where it joined the old IC "Gruber Line" from Centralia to Freeport, removed in the mid 80s. And if you go out of Street View to the aerial, you will see two end sections (one on the east side and one on the west) and a grate in the median (for ventilation?), for a tunnel to carry a future trail underneath when both bridges are filled in. For a trail crossing underneath, that's a long way to go in dark conditions, if it's not lighted.  Pontiac's trail plan shows a look through the barrel of the new trail crossing on p. 5.

Man, when I first saw that, I thought of the start of "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" where Harry and Dudley were attacked by dementors.  If it isn't well-lit, no one will use it.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

ilpt4u

• Last Login: Today at 04:07:29 AM
« Reply #1760 on: March 25, 2020, 08:17:06 PM »

Man, when I first saw that, I thought of the start of "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" where Harry and Dudley were attacked by dementors.  If it isn't well-lit, no one will use it.
Iíve never done this, but from what Iíve read and heard, the Abandoned PA Turnpike Tunnels are not lit, and people use them for biking and walking/jogging

Verlanka

• Last Login: Today at 06:05:21 AM
« Reply #1761 on: March 26, 2020, 05:32:12 AM »

Iíve never done this, but from what Iíve read and heard, the Abandoned PA Turnpike Tunnels are not lit, and people use them for biking and walking/jogging
They probably carry a special flashlight for that purpose.

inkyatari

• Widen I-80 through all of Illinois!

• Last Login: Today at 10:14:28 AM
    • Pie Factory Podcast - Classic Arcade gaming talk
« Reply #1762 on: March 26, 2020, 05:13:12 PM »

They probably carry a special flashlight for that purpose.

They're supposed to make that section of the turnpike a bike trail at some point.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.