News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

Waffle House

Started by cpzilliacus, October 02, 2012, 09:44:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

Was just telling H.B. about  the high calorie content of the offerings at Tim Horton's in Ontario, and it got me to thinking of Waffle House, a very AARoads kind of chain.

I love them  too, so I try to stay away. 

Along I-95, there are none north of Maryland (at least the last time I checked), though there is at least one in Delaware on U.S. 13 near Dover, and I believe I have seen a few in Pennsylvania, though not along I-95.

My favorite Waffle House is on I-95 at U.S. 70 in Selma, N.C.  Not too busy, always friendly wait staff and the place is kept clean.

Other Waffle House stories or tales?
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

1995hoo

During my law school years I frequented the Waffle House on Hillsborough Road in Durham. I visited so frequently that when I came in, the waitress who was there every weekday morning just had to say, "Bacon or sausage today?" She could then call my order accurately.

It's probably a good thing they don't have a location convenient to where I live (the nearest one is perhaps 20 miles to the south down I-95). John Boy and Billy aren't on the radio in the DC area either (no doubt in part due to Robert D. Raiford's commentaries). I kind of think of Waffle House and John Boy and Billy together because I used to listen to their show on my morning drive during those years in North Carolina.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 02, 2012, 09:47:48 AM
During my law school years I frequented the Waffle House on Hillsborough Road in Durham. I visited so frequently that when I came in, the waitress who was there every weekday morning just had to say, "Bacon or sausage today?" She could then call my order accurately.

I don't visit the one in Selma that often.  <smile>

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 02, 2012, 09:47:48 AM
It's probably a good thing they don't have a location convenient to where I live (the nearest one is perhaps 20 miles to the south down I-95). John Boy and Billy aren't on the radio in the DC area either (no doubt in part due to Robert D. Raiford's commentaries). I kind of think of Waffle House and John Boy and Billy together because I used to listen to their show on my morning drive during those years in North Carolina.

That would probably be the one on Va. 234 (Dumfries Road) just north (really west) of I-95 in Dumfries, Va. 

I know the place pretty well, though I don't stop there every time I am down that way.

At lunchtime, many Marines from MCB Quantico (including some pretty high-ranking enlisted people and officers) seem to like the place.  I've even seen one or two bird colonels and general officers eating there.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

hbelkins

Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 02, 2012, 09:44:15 AM
Was just telling H.B. about  the high calorie content of the offerings at Tim Horton's in Ontario...

Do I look like I worry about calorie content?  :-D :-D :-D :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

formulanone

I'll hit them up once or twice a year on the road, but usually when I don't feel like dealing with a crowd, or there's one very close to my hotel...usually a combination of both scenarios.

Takumi

I've never liked Waffle House, honestly. I'm not much for breakfast food aside from bacon and cereal, and every Waffle House I can remember going to has been dirty and had poor service, except for the one in Harrisonburg, VA.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Alps

I'm in the land of diners, but I know the nearest WH are in Clarks Summit and near the A-B airport (PA 987).

Duke87

I have eaten at Waffle House exactly once in my life. That was in Covington, KY. They don't have them here but they are as close as Pennsylvania.

But I don't particularly have a desire to go again since if I'm going to have a sit down breakfast at a restaurant, I want pancakes dammit. Waffles to me are quick gobble something up before I run off to work food, not something pleasant and indulgent. Frankly, I don't see how Waffle House offers me anyhing that Eggo does not.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Duke87 on October 02, 2012, 07:56:11 PM
I have eaten at Waffle House exactly once in my life. That was in Covington, KY. They don't have them here but they are as close as Pennsylvania.

But I don't particularly have a desire to go again since if I'm going to have a sit down breakfast at a restaurant, I want pancakes dammit. Waffles to me are quick gobble something up before I run off to work food, not something pleasant and indulgent. Frankly, I don't see how Waffle House offers me anyhing that Eggo does not.

Waffle House waffles blow Eggos out of the microwave (or off the griddle ;-) ). 

Especially with blueberries and walnuts.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: hbelkins on October 02, 2012, 02:56:48 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 02, 2012, 09:44:15 AM
Was just telling H.B. about  the high calorie content of the offerings at Tim Horton's in Ontario...

Do I look like I worry about calorie content?  :-D :-D :-D :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I have not (and I have paid the price in terms of health issues).  Getting in to the weight reduction program at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore right now (if insurance will cover).

Mdcastle

I remember driving from Raleigh to Charlotte and it reminded us a lot of home. Except for a Waffle House every other exit. I like traveling to the Southeast, and we normally eat at Waffle House when we're there a couple of times. My sister remarked how fat she'd get if we had one handy to us. Only bad one we were every at was at some place in the sticks off I-40 west of Asheville; teenage staff made it seem like we were bothering them for wanting to eat there.

KEVIN_224

This one is off of I-78 in the Bethlehem, PA area, taken in April of 2011:

formulanone

Byron, Georgia offers two Waffle Houses within walking distance of each other:

realjd

Quote from: formulanone on October 03, 2012, 06:48:42 AM

There are two in Fayetteville, NC that are right across the street from each other, just outside of Ft. Bragg. One really is better than the other.

cpzilliacus

I can understand to gas stations on opposite sides of the street with the same brand, but I find it curious that Waffle House would have two establishments so close to each other.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: realjd on October 03, 2012, 07:00:06 AM

There are two in Fayetteville, NC that are right across the street from each other, just outside of Ft. Bragg. One really is better than the other.

I cannot speak to those, of course, but the one in Dumfries, Virginia (on Va. 234, Dumfries Road) gets very busy at lunch time when the place gets invaded by Marines from nearby MCB Quantico. 

Could it be that Waffle House has two at that location in Fayetteville to serve "surges" of Army men and women?

Mr_Northside

The only Waffle House I've been to in the last 20+ years (in fact, possibly ever) was off I-70 in Frederick, MD about 4 years ago.

Not the greatest, but certainly better than Eggos.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

triplemultiplex

Been to a Waffle House twice on a trip to Alabama years ago.  It gave me enough experience to appreciate this bit from comedian Jim Gaffigan a few years later:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz1cfwFmv1w
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

cpzilliacus

Quote from: triplemultiplex on October 03, 2012, 03:50:47 PM
Been to a Waffle House twice on a trip to Alabama years ago.  It gave me enough experience to appreciate this bit from comedian Jim Gaffigan a few years later:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz1cfwFmv1w

Not too bad!  Though he's wrong about the ethnic mix of the patrons and employees.

amroad17

Quote from: Duke87 on October 02, 2012, 07:56:11 PM

That one in Covington and the one in Wilder, KY are pretty rough--lots of people leaving the area "bikini bars" after 2 AM eat there.  Plus, the service is slow and they aren't very clean.  The one in Erlanger isn't too bad.  However, I haven't eaten in one for five years since I left my trucking job.  Usually, if I want breakfast it's either Frisch's (where I now work as a manager), IHOP in Florence, or the Denny's in Walton.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

SP Cook

The Wall Street Journal has developd a "Waffle House Index" relative to college football in the SEC, with In N Out being the key to the Pac 12.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444138104578032462978749952.html

FEMA also apparently uses Waffle Houses to measure storm damage.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111904716604576542460736605364.html

jwolfer

There was a Waffle House near where we used to live ( on US 17/Roosevelt Blvd in Jacksonville) and on Christmas day after opening presents we wanted to eat but didnt want to cook.  WH was the only place open so we went.  The place was packed!! They even had a host/ess working.  The host/ess was a cross dresser. Masculine looking person wearing hoop earrings and make up with stubble. 

If you live in or went to college in the Southeast you have plenty of WH stories

bassoon1986

I wondered if there were more cases of these. I went to college in Monroe, LA and the Thomas Rd. exit off of I-20 in West Monroe had one on either side of the overpass.

formulanone

Quote from: bassoon1986 on October 04, 2012, 01:11:20 PM
I wondered if there were more cases of these. I went to college in Monroe, LA and the Thomas Rd. exit off of I-20 in West Monroe had one on either side of the overpass.

Seemed odd to me, since Byron probably has about 2,000 inhabitants, and it also wouldn't have seemed unusual if there was another town's limits on the other side of I-75. Reminded me of The End of the Universe.

golden eagle

I saw two Waffle Houses on the same corner near an interstate in Nashville in the late 90s.

I live about a mile from a Waffle House, but I don't go to it much. The only time I get to go is on the weekends and it's always crowded.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.