Toll roads toss the coins for electronic methods

Started by cpzilliacus, November 17, 2012, 05:38:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 23, 2012, 09:28:24 AM
Quote from: deanej on November 21, 2012, 07:47:07 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 21, 2012, 02:00:03 PM
Signage:  You'll need signs denoting the highway split for electronic toll passes and the cash/credit card side. And not just one, but one or two a mile (or two) away, another a half-mile...
This is needed regardless of whether you have booths for non-transponder users or not, so it's moot.
Out of everything, this is a head scratcher.  A toll road that is fully open-road tolling would only have a single sign, if that, approaching the toll point.  Otherwise, they just have overhead gantrys with the toll equipment.  Why would they have several large signs approaching that?

Besides, there are several roads that are transponder-only.  Feel free to check out the signage on them, compared to signage on roads with open-road tolling & stop-to-pay tolling.
Check out the signage for the A-25 bridge and the I-495 HOT lanes.  Both are transponder-only, yet have more signage than ORT lanes in many areas (including the Spring Valley barrier on the Thruway), and much more than barrier-only (which is typically just a single yellow Toll Booths - 1/2 mile and maybe a "last exit before toll" sign if you're lucky).

I'm curious which state you're from so we could figure out what each other's expectations are.  I've been in NY my whole life, so I compare everything to NYSDOT and NYSTA, which are both very conservative agencies and slow to adopt anything.  We even have toll bridges here that don't accept credit cards let alone transponders or going all-electronic.  The Thousand Islands Bridge Authority has only just started "studying" the possibility of accepting E-ZPass, which itself signifies that hell has frozen over.  The other St. Lawrence crossings and Niagara Falls bridges will switch over never.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: deanej on November 23, 2012, 01:02:57 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 23, 2012, 09:28:24 AM
Quote from: deanej on November 21, 2012, 07:47:07 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 21, 2012, 02:00:03 PM
Signage:  You'll need signs denoting the highway split for electronic toll passes and the cash/credit card side. And not just one, but one or two a mile (or two) away, another a half-mile...
This is needed regardless of whether you have booths for non-transponder users or not, so it's moot.
Out of everything, this is a head scratcher.  A toll road that is fully open-road tolling would only have a single sign, if that, approaching the toll point.  Otherwise, they just have overhead gantrys with the toll equipment.  Why would they have several large signs approaching that?

Besides, there are several roads that are transponder-only.  Feel free to check out the signage on them, compared to signage on roads with open-road tolling & stop-to-pay tolling.
Check out the signage for the A-25 bridge and the I-495 HOT lanes.  Both are transponder-only, yet have more signage than ORT lanes in many areas (including the Spring Valley barrier on the Thruway), and much more than barrier-only (which is typically just a single yellow Toll Booths - 1/2 mile and maybe a "last exit before toll" sign if you're lucky).

I'm curious which state you're from so we could figure out what each other's expectations are.  I've been in NY my whole life, so I compare everything to NYSDOT and NYSTA, which are both very conservative agencies and slow to adopt anything.  We even have toll bridges here that don't accept credit cards let alone transponders or going all-electronic.  The Thousand Islands Bridge Authority has only just started "studying" the possibility of accepting E-ZPass, which itself signifies that hell has frozen over.  The other St. Lawrence crossings and Niagara Falls bridges will switch over never.
Those examples are splits of a non-tolled highway and a tolled highway.

Think of the Loop 49 in Texas, Toronto's 407 (http://goo.gl/maps/tghn0), or Florida Turnpike where they have made the modifications to go all cashless tolling.  There is no split; there's nothing for the car driver to decide while on the highway. They are going thru the toll lanes, whether they like it or not.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: deanej on November 23, 2012, 01:02:57 PM
We even have toll bridges here that don't accept credit cards let alone transponders or going all-electronic. 

The toll crossings that are intra-New York State and don't accept E-ZPass should (in a perfect world) be compelled to accept electronic payment by the New York legislature (I presume that it is within the power of the legislature to force the issue).

The toll bridges between New York State and Canada are a different matter.

Though it would be nice if Highway 407 in Ontario would join the E-ZPass IAG.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: deanej on November 23, 2012, 01:02:57 PMWe even have toll bridges here that don't accept credit cards let alone transponders or going all-electronic.

I've never seen a toll booth that accepts credit cards.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Alps

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on November 23, 2012, 07:37:02 PM
Quote from: deanej on November 23, 2012, 01:02:57 PMWe even have toll bridges here that don't accept credit cards let alone transponders or going all-electronic.

They do exist. The NJ Turnpike Authority considered them. While I can't comment on what the outcome of that consideration is, I can say that their throughput is certainly no better than cash lanes, and quite possibly worse.

cpzilliacus

The unmanned ramp tolls on the privately-owned Dulles Greenway (Va. 267) in Loudoun County, Va. accept most credit and debit cards.  The Ohio Turnpike also takes plastic at its toll collection points.

Toll roads and toll crossings in the European Union nations usually accept Visa and Eurocard (MasterCard) if the toll collection points are staffed.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Takumi

I think the Airport Drive exit on VA 895 also takes credit cards.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

theline

Quote from: Steve on November 23, 2012, 08:05:31 PM

They do exist. The NJ Turnpike Authority considered them. While I can't comment on what the outcome of that consideration is, I can say that their throughput is certainly no better than cash lanes, and quite possibly worse.
The Indiana Toll Road takes credit cards, at both attended and unattended lanes. They are a convenience to travelers. I'd like to see figures on throughput compared to cash transactions. Credit cards don't require making change, so CC transactions can be pretty quick.

hbelkins

Working from memory here, but don't the mainline toll booths on PA 43 (Mon-Fayette) also take credit cards?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

myosh_tino

Given the amount of tampering that's been going on with credit card readers, I'd be very leary of swiping my credit card at a toll booth.  Cash or transponder works for me.

Note: There was a large theft of customer's credit card numbers when thieves compromised the credit card readers at a number of grocery store self-checkout lanes.  Even before this happened, I made it a point to never use a credit card in the self-checkout lane.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

Alps

Quote from: theline on November 23, 2012, 08:34:17 PM
Quote from: Steve on November 23, 2012, 08:05:31 PM

The Indiana Toll Road takes credit cards, at both attended and unattended lanes. They are a convenience to travelers. I'd like to see figures on throughput compared to cash transactions. Credit cards don't require making change, so CC transactions can be pretty quick.
I believe the issue with CC transactions stems from the time to reach over, insert the card, have the transaction process through to the CC company and come back approved. Then you have some that aren't approved, people who insert the stripe the wrong way, debit/credit mixups... If everyone knew what they were doing, it would probably be 2-3 times faster.

vdeane

The Thruway does, as does the Thousand Islands Bridge.  They're both all staffed lanes (even the ones where you just get a ticket, and the ticket is the same regardless of what vehicle class you are).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

theline

Quote from: Steve on November 23, 2012, 10:13:38 PM
I believe the issue with CC transactions stems from the time to reach over, insert the card, have the transaction process through to the CC company and come back approved. Then you have some that aren't approved, people who insert the stripe the wrong way, debit/credit mixups... If everyone knew what they were doing, it would probably be 2-3 times faster.

Yes, idiots can mishandle their cedit cards, but they can also fumble around their cars finding coins or drop them before getting them deposited. There's no accounting for the level of human stupidity.

vdeane

I should also mention that in Canada, automated credit card readers are used in parking garages (unlike the US where there's a manned booth), so it's not a stretch IMO to see them on highways.

Brandon

Quote from: deanej on November 25, 2012, 04:06:37 PM
I should also mention that in Canada, automated credit card readers are used in parking garages (unlike the US where there's a manned booth), so it's not a stretch IMO to see them on highways.

Automated credit card readers are used in many parking garages in the US as well.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

1995hoo

Quote from: Brandon on November 25, 2012, 04:48:08 PM
Quote from: deanej on November 25, 2012, 04:06:37 PM

Automated credit card readers are used in many parking garages in the US as well.

We have a number of garages here that give you the option of not taking a ticket when you enter and instead inserting your credit card on entry and exit. I find it reasonably convenient, though I suppose doing that doesn't let you bail out to go see the attendant if it charges you the wrong amount.

We also have quite a few garages that use the "E-Z Out" machines where you take your ticket with you, pay at the machine (often either cash or credit/debit) before returning to your car, then leave. I like this as well, though I do have to concede that when it is the ONLY payment option it tends to cause problems because some people (in my experience, a disproportionate number of them elderly) seem never to notice all the signs saying that you have to pay at the machine and then they drive up to the exit expecting to find a manned booth and it creates a traffic mess if the garage is crowded.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 26, 2012, 09:25:40 AM
We also have quite a few garages that use the "E-Z Out" machines where you take your ticket with you, pay at the machine (often either cash or credit/debit) before returning to your car, then leave. I like this as well, though I do have to concede that when it is the ONLY payment option it tends to cause problems because some people (in my experience, a disproportionate number of them elderly) seem never to notice all the signs saying that you have to pay at the machine and then they drive up to the exit expecting to find a manned booth and it creates a traffic mess if the garage is crowded.

I regularly park in a garage that does this, and I actually find it inconvenient. The garage is on top of a grocery store, so obviously caters to shoppers (who even get free parking). It's a pain to have to carry your groceries over to the machine, put them down to pay, then pick them back up and carry them to your car (you can't easily just go straight to your car then go back because there is only a machine on the ground floor). Also, the only way to get up to the parking levels from where the machine is is an elevator - helpful with bags of groceries, but without a lot of groceries it'd be much easier to just go straight up the stairs, which are located right by the store entrance in the front, while the pay machine and elevator are around the side of the building, along the car ramp by the office.
Since you still have to insert your ticket when you leave, it just seems like it's pointless. I'd rather just pay when I leave. Especially since it's free.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

1995hoo

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on November 26, 2012, 09:40:57 AM

I regularly park in a garage that does this, and I actually find it inconvenient. The garage is on top of a grocery store, so obviously caters to shoppers (who even get free parking). It's a pain to have to carry your groceries over to the machine, put them down to pay, then pick them back up and carry them to your car (you can't easily just go straight to your car then go back because there is only a machine on the ground floor). Also, the only way to get up to the parking levels from where the machine is is an elevator - helpful with bags of groceries, but without a lot of groceries it'd be much easier to just go straight up the stairs, which are located right by the store entrance in the front, while the pay machine and elevator are around the side of the building, along the car ramp by the office.
Since you still have to insert your ticket when you leave, it just seems like it's pointless. I'd rather just pay when I leave. Especially since it's free.

In that situation I think I'd agree with you that it would be inconvenient. Most of the time when I park in a pay garage it's because I'm going to Verizon Center (well, not so much this winter due to the lockout) and so are most of the other people, so carrying loads of stuff isn't an issue.

I wonder if the people who are confounded by the idea of the "E-Z Out" garage, or the cashless toll road, are also confused by the self-checkout line at the grocery store.

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 26, 2012, 09:50:00 AM
In that situation I think I'd agree with you that it would be inconvenient. Most of the time when I park in a pay garage it's because I'm going to Verizon Center (well, not so much this winter due to the lockout) and so are most of the other people, so carrying loads of stuff isn't an issue.

Oh this setup can work wonderfully for event/sports venues, if the pay station is in the venue. For example, TD Garden here in Boston has you pay at windows on the concourse before taking an elevator back down to the garage, so you're already on the way and it works out great.

QuoteI wonder if the people who are confounded by the idea of the "E-Z Out" garage, or the cashless toll road, are also confused by the self-checkout line at the grocery store.

Yes.
Absolutely.

Having worked at a grocery store (albeit one without self checkouts), I can affirm that people are absolutely helpless. No one was even capable of using the lottery machine, much less the coinstar machine or vending machines. And every time I go to a grocery store with self checkouts I see at least one person who needs help.
Those are really quite pointless, because so many people have trouble with them that they still need to have an attendant monitoring them, so I can't see it even really saving the store any money.

cpzilliacus

I wonder if the people who are confounded by the idea of the "E-Z Out" garage, or the cashless toll road, are also confused by the self-checkout line at the grocery store.

Speaking of confounding, have you ever watched people try to use the Farecard machines in the Washington Metrorail system?  Especially at stops like Washington Union Station (near my office) and National Airport, with plenty of out-of-town people that have not ridden the system before?

1995hoo

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on November 26, 2012, 10:48:49 AM

Those are really quite pointless, because so many people have trouble with them that they still need to have an attendant monitoring them, so I can't see it even really saving the store any money.

They'd have to have the attendant monitoring them anyway because of age-restricted purchases, such as beer and wine. At the store where we shop, the attendant is also needed to override the system to scan certain coupons because the self-checkout will only scan the UPC-style barcodes but some coupons use a different type. BUT they have one attendant monitoring four self-checkout lanes, so I suppose it does reduce the number of people needed.

The store where we do our grocery shopping also has some self-scanner devices (they call it the "SCAN IT!" system) where you scan your grocery-store card when you arrive, take a scanner, and scan your groceries as you go. Since we use the reusable bags, we bag them as we go. Saves a lot of time at the checkout because all you do is scan an "end of order" barcode, then scan your grocery-store card again, enter the number of reusable bags (they give you 5¢ off per bag), scan any coupons, and pay (also if you buy beer or wine the attendant has to come over to tell it you're legal). It works really well most of the time and it also gives you discounts on various things based on your shopping history. But the people who don't understand the self-checkout are COMPLETELY CONFOUNDED when they see you waiting on line to pay but not putting any of your groceries on the checkout belt! I like the system because we use the reusable bags, which means I prefer to bag the groceries myself since I have a sense for what I'm buying and how it all fits best into the bags, whereas the cashiers/bag boys just stuff things in any old way.

I suppose this is getting totally off-topic (though you're a moderator so I guess that makes it OK!). I can turn it back on-topic, though, because in my mind some of the confusion some people display over things like self-checkout or E-Z Out parking spills over to things like electronic toll collection. My father is reasonably up to speed on technology for someone in his mid-60s, with the exception that he absolutely refuses ever to use an ATM under any circumstances. But for some reason back around 1999 or 2000 when I first got a Virginia Smart Tag (predecessor to E-ZPass), he was absolutely confounded by the device because he couldn't understand "how you reload it"–that is, how you add money when the balance gets low. He thought you had to touch it to something to put money on it. I have absolutely no idea how he got that idea. After I explained how it works, and after he experienced the Smart Tag in use when I taped it to the windshield in his car when we were going to play golf one weekend, he changed his tune and now he and my mother have two E-ZPasses for their three cars.

But it makes me think that if my father was skeptical of electronic toll collection based on his misunderstanding of how it works, imagine how many other people must have totally off-the-wall reasons for not getting transponders or the like. (BTW, my parents do not like the self-checkout lane at the supermarket because my mom doesn't want to be bothered bagging her own groceries. She doesn't use the self-scanner because she didn't know how to get credit for the reusable bags.)

Quote from: cpzilliacus on November 26, 2012, 10:56:06 AM

Speaking of confounding, have you ever watched people try to use the Farecard machines in the Washington Metrorail system?  Especially at stops like Washington Union Station (near my office) and National Airport, with plenty of out-of-town people that have not ridden the system before?

Yes, absolutely. When I commuted on the subway I also regularly saw tourist families trying to use one Farecard for the entire family. I remember telling a tourist at the Vienna stop that it wouldn't let him do that and he got annoyed: "You're telling me I have to buy a separate Farecard for each of five people?!!!" Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying, dude. Sorry I tried to do you a favor!

I liked it when they had the SmarTrip Only faregates at Vienna because they let those of us with those cards (I got mine the first day they were available back in 1999 and I still have the same card) bypass the confused tourists. I understand why those units didn't work well at a stop like Navy Yard, though, because after a ballgame it's simply too much of a traffic jam to make people sort themselves out into the appropriate queue.

vdeane

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on November 26, 2012, 09:40:57 AM

Why don't they just put the machine at the exit of the parking garage?  Problems solved.

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 26, 2012, 11:10:48 AM
they give you 5¢ off per bag
Wow, that's nice; in my part of the country, you have to buy the reusable bag from the store and get no discount.

1995hoo

Quote from: deanej on November 26, 2012, 11:25:44 AM
Why don't they just put the machine at the exit of the parking garage?  Problems solved.

I believe the idea is to move the time-consuming part of the process (paying) to a location away from the exit to speed the process. But you raise a valid issue because of the problem of the people who ignore all the signs telling you to pay before you return to your car. They drive up to the exit and then sit there in everyone else's way. The smart operators put an additional machine near the garage exit to deal with precisely those sorts of people. Unfortunately, I've parked in a number of garages whose operators don't do that.

Wow, that's nice; in my part of the country, you have to buy the reusable bag from the store and get no discount.

You could always use a cardboard box instead. Back in the 1980s a local discount grocery store chain called Shoppers Food Warehouse charged you 3¢ a bag for every bag you needed, but they also made all their cardboard boxes available for free. Most people used those instead of buying the bags.

(I bought our current reusable bags, but of course you don't have to buy separate ones for each store. I bought them mainly because they're more durable and hold more stuff than the plastic bags. I wasn't motivated by environmental reasons or by a bag discount–indeed the store where I did most of the shopping back when I got the bags does not give a discount.)

The District of Columbia passed a bag tax law whereby stores must charge you 5¢ for every bag you need. That includes less-obvious places like liquor stores. Montgomery County in Maryland has a similar law; don't know about elsewhere. DC's law was ostensibly for the purpose of reducing plastic-bag litter in the city.

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on November 26, 2012, 10:48:49 AM

They'd have to have the attendant monitoring them anyway because of age-restricted purchases, such as beer and wine. At the store where we shop, the attendant is also needed to override the system to scan certain coupons because the self-checkout will only scan the UPC-style barcodes but some coupons use a different type. BUT they have one attendant monitoring four self-checkout lanes, so I suppose it does reduce the number of people needed.
This is true - one attendant can monitor more lanes than a regular checkout line, but you have to factor in the decreased throughput. I'm sure 4 self checkouts still handle a higher volume than 1 standard checkout, but self checkouts take longer for people to get through (dealing with the computer, trying to scan things, bagging and scanning everything yourself rather than having 2 or 3 people), so I wonder where the trade-off point is.

QuoteThe store where we do our grocery shopping also has some self-scanner devices (they call it the "SCAN IT!" system) where you scan your grocery-store card when you arrive, take a scanner, and scan your groceries as you go. Since we use the reusable bags, we bag them as we go. Saves a lot of time at the checkout because all you do is scan an "end of order" barcode, then scan your grocery-store card again, enter the number of reusable bags (they give you 5¢ off per bag), scan any coupons, and pay (also if you buy beer or wine the attendant has to come over to tell it you're legal). It works really well most of the time and it also gives you discounts on various things based on your shopping history. But the people who don't understand the self-checkout are COMPLETELY CONFOUNDED when they see you waiting on line to pay but not putting any of your groceries on the checkout belt! I like the system because we use the reusable bags, which means I prefer to bag the groceries myself since I have a sense for what I'm buying and how it all fits best into the bags, whereas the cashiers/bag boys just stuff things in any old way.
I would use that system in a heartbeat! What stores have it? When I lived in VA I worked for a local Hampton Roads-area chain and the only exposure to self checkouts I had down there was Food Lion and Kroger.

QuoteI suppose this is getting totally off-topic (though you're a moderator so I guess that makes it OK!).
Close enough.  ;-)

QuoteI can turn it back on-topic, though, because in my mind some of the confusion some people display over things like self-checkout or E-Z Out parking spills over to things like electronic toll collection. My father is reasonably up to speed on technology for someone in his mid-60s, with the exception that he absolutely refuses ever to use an ATM under any circumstances. But for some reason back around 1999 or 2000 when I first got a Virginia Smart Tag (predecessor to E-ZPass), he was absolutely confounded by the device because he couldn't understand "how you reload it"–that is, how you add money when the balance gets low. He thought you had to touch it to something to put money on it. I have absolutely no idea how he got that idea. After I explained how it works, and after he experienced the Smart Tag in use when I taped it to the windshield in his car when we were going to play golf one weekend, he changed his tune and now he and my mother have two E-ZPasses for their three cars.
To be fair, that is a very valid assumption. Almost everything else reloadable needs to be done in person (reloadable credit cards, giftcards, transit farecards, to an extent even bank cards). And honestly, I sometimes wish there was an option to reload in person. You can reload Massachusetts E-ZPasses at any RMV [DMV] office, which, as you can imagine, no one wants to do. I've always thought it would be helpful to have reload kiosk things at, for example, turnpike service plazas, considering that the Gulf convenience stores in every MassPike plaza already sell preloaded transponders.

QuoteBut it makes me think that if my father was skeptical of electronic toll collection based on his misunderstanding of how it works, imagine how many other people must have totally off-the-wall reasons for not getting transponders or the like.
Generally the only complaint I hear about not wanting an E-ZPass is the ability to track our movements, which can be easily dismissed by bringing up all the other ways the government already can if it wants to. Though other people, my mother included, did wait a while (my mother waited until I got one on my own) to get an E-ZPass because they don't like anything that automatically takes money out of a bank account, like automatic bill pay, just in case they forget and don't have enough money in the account.

Quote(BTW, my parents do not like the self-checkout lane at the supermarket because my mom doesn't want to be bothered bagging her own groceries. She doesn't use the self-scanner because she didn't know how to get credit for the reusable bags.)
Mine is the reverse - she refuses to let other people bag her groceries. Probably because the majority of baggers at the closest supermarket to her are mentally challenged (literally) people that are a hassle to deal with and don't seem to understand concepts as basic as bread not going on the bottom of a bag, or bringing reusable bags means we want only reusable bags, not plastic inside reusable bags. Before anyone calls us insensitive, I'm all for them having jobs, and I'm not mean to them or anything, I just don't feel like they can do it satisfactorily.

Almost every store I've ever been to in VA, NY, CT, MA, NH, and ME has given a 5¢ discount per reusable bag. I've even seen the occasional 10¢. And you don't have to have a store brand bag - it can be any kind of bag.

1995hoo

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on November 26, 2012, 12:08:58 PM

QuoteThe store where we do our grocery shopping also has some self-scanner devices (they call it the "SCAN IT!" system) where you scan your grocery-store card when you arrive, take a scanner, and scan your groceries as you go. Since we use the reusable bags, we bag them as we go. Saves a lot of time at the checkout because all you do is scan an "end of order" barcode, then scan your grocery-store card again, enter the number of reusable bags (they give you 5¢ off per bag), scan any coupons, and pay (also if you buy beer or wine the attendant has to come over to tell it you're legal). It works really well most of the time and it also gives you discounts on various things based on your shopping history. But the people who don't understand the self-checkout are COMPLETELY CONFOUNDED when they see you waiting on line to pay but not putting any of your groceries on the checkout belt! I like the system because we use the reusable bags, which means I prefer to bag the groceries myself since I have a sense for what I'm buying and how it all fits best into the bags, whereas the cashiers/bag boys just stuff things in any old way.
I would use that system in a heartbeat! What stores have it? When I lived in VA I worked for a local Hampton Roads-area chain and the only exposure to self checkouts I had down there was Food Lion and Kroger.

Many, though not all, Giant stores in Northern Virginia have it. When you enter the store this display is off to one side; you scan your card and a scanner lights up and you take that scanner.

The shopping cart has a metal doohickey on top that's sort of like a holster and you put the scanner in that. A lot of things can be scanned without removing the device from the cart (you press the yellow button to scan).

When you're done and you get to the checkout, you scan this barcode first (they've since changed the setup slightly, mainly to use a better sign, but the process is the same) and then you scan your store card, coupons, enter the number of reusable bags, get carded if necessary, and pay.

QuoteI can turn it back on-topic, though, because in my mind some of the confusion some people display over things like self-checkout or E-Z Out parking spills over to things like electronic toll collection. My father is reasonably up to speed on technology for someone in his mid-60s, with the exception that he absolutely refuses ever to use an ATM under any circumstances. But for some reason back around 1999 or 2000 when I first got a Virginia Smart Tag (predecessor to E-ZPass), he was absolutely confounded by the device because he couldn't understand "how you reload it"–that is, how you add money when the balance gets low. He thought you had to touch it to something to put money on it. I have absolutely no idea how he got that idea. After I explained how it works, and after he experienced the Smart Tag in use when I taped it to the windshield in his car when we were going to play golf one weekend, he changed his tune and now he and my mother have two E-ZPasses for their three cars.
To be fair, that is a very valid assumption. Almost everything else reloadable needs to be done in person (reloadable credit cards, giftcards, transit farecards, to an extent even bank cards). And honestly, I sometimes wish there was an option to reload in person. You can reload Massachusetts E-ZPasses at any RMV [DMV] office, which, as you can imagine, no one wants to do. I've always thought it would be helpful to have reload kiosk things at, for example, turnpike service plazas, considering that the Gulf convenience stores in every MassPike plaza already sell preloaded transponders.

I know in Virginia you can log onto your account and make a one-time payment to top up your account to a higher balance. It's useful if you're driving a long distance on a number of tolled facilities, say if you're going from Virginia to Maine, because the automatic replenishment doesn't always work immediately. I've done this in the past and I guess now I could do it via iPhone or iPad mid-trip if needed....though I suppose now I'm less likely to need it because we have two E-ZPasses and the way Virginia does it means we have to have the minimum balance per transponder but they draw from the same pool of dollars (so, basically, when it replenishes it tops us up to $70 instead of $35).

Generally the only complaint I hear about not wanting an E-ZPass is the ability to track our movements, which can be easily dismissed by bringing up all the other ways the government already can if it wants to. Though other people, my mother included, did wait a while (my mother waited until I got one on my own) to get an E-ZPass because they don't like anything that automatically takes money out of a bank account, like automatic bill pay, just in case they forget and don't have enough money in the account.

I've heard that, and I've also heard people INSIST that states give speeding tickets using E-ZPass data. People who believe that often simply cannot be persuaded otherwise.

I also know one fellow who refuses to get an E-ZPass because he opposes the Dulles Metrorail project here in Virginia and he has this idea that getting an E-ZPass would mean he's supporting the project (even if he doesn't drive on the Dulles Toll Road, which I know he tries to avoid doing). But with someone like that you just shake your head and say, "He's weird."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.