AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: TRIVIA NIGHT results and host registration  (Read 93483 times)

Alps

• Everybody Obeys the Octagon

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: Today at 09:14:09 AM
    • Alps' Roads
Re: TRIVIA NIGHT results and host registration
« Reply #275 on: February 17, 2020, 12:50:42 AM »

As a reminder, in order to celebrate the life of the AARoads Chatroom as we know it, there will be one last trivia night this Wednesday night (time is above). It will follow the same general format as the previous two trivia nights, but with a few minor adjustments of my own.
time is 8:30 EST

US 89

• 189 to Evanston!

• Last Login: Today at 09:58:38 AM
    • Utah Highways
« Reply #276 on: February 19, 2020, 01:44:58 PM »

Trivia will be tonight at 6:30 PM MST (8:30 EST), in the AARoads Chat Room. Feel free to convert to whatever time zone you identify with, as long as it isn't UTC. If chat observes UTC, well...we'll deal with that if we have to.

Rules for tonight are as follows:
  • There will be 50 questions. Most US states will be represented, but there will also be a few general US and international questions.
  • After each question is posted, there will be a 30 second period to respond. To respond to a question, PM the host directly with your answer. Only your first guess will be counted. If you blurt out a correct response (i.e. don't PM), you will receive a 2 point deduction.
  • If nobody has guessed correctly after 30 seconds, there will be another 30 second period to respond where everybody may submit a second guess. If there are still no correct responses after this, we will move on to the next question.
  • In general, correct answers will receive 2 points. Wrong answers will get a point deduction.
  • Closest-guess questions: for these, the question will also include a range of possible answers. Any answers within this range will receive full credit for a correct response. The person who guesses closest to the correct response will receive one bonus point, and an exact answer is worth another bonus point. There are no point deductions on closest guess questions.
  • Multiple-answer questions: for questions with more than one correct answer, the question will state how many correct responses there are, and you are free to make up to that many guesses in your response. However, any incorrect responses will still receive the standard -point deduction. After time is up, any correct responses will be announced, and there will be another 30-second period to guess any remaining answers. This will continue until either a) all correct responses have been given, or b) there have been two 30-second periods with no correct answers.
  • Bonus questions: occasionally, there will be a bonus question relating to the previous question. These work similarly to a standard question, except that on the first round of guessing, bonus questions are open only to those who guessed the original question correctly and there is no deduction for an incorrect guess. If there are no correct answers given in the first round, the second round will be open to everyone but with a standard -point deduction.
  • Unless directly contradicted by something above, the standard trivia rules will be in effect. One aspect I'd like to especially emphasize though, because apparently we have had issues with this in the past: using any resources beyond your own head (such as Google Maps) is considered cheating.
That is all. I'm hoping for a good turnout as we bid farewell to Chat.

EDIT: Because EST is popular!  :bigass: --sso
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 08:28:44 PM by US 89 »
Interstate clinches: 14 82 86ID 215UT 225 345 444 575 985
US clinches: 91 491 550

Flickr
Imgur
Website

US 89

• 189 to Evanston!

• Utah Highways
« Reply #277 on: February 19, 2020, 10:46:11 PM »

Scores from tonight are as follows:

Roadgeek Adam: 58
cl94: 43
NE2: 36.5
Duke87: 32.5
Alps: 28.5
Thing342: 16.5
Dougtone: 11.5
formulanone: 9
TheHighwayMan394: 7.5
Henry: 4
ozarkman417: 0.5
jakeroot: -1.5

Thanks to all who played. Questions will be posted when I have time to format them into a forum post.

Flickr
Imgur
Website

formulanone

• Last Login: Today at 09:27:53 AM
« Reply #278 on: February 19, 2020, 11:33:53 PM »

formulanine

jakeroot

• U/Wash - Urban Design

• Location: Seattle and Tacoma, WA Vancouver, BC | Arlington, VA
  • Last Login: Today at 02:58:12 AM
« Reply #279 on: February 20, 2020, 05:04:56 AM »

Well, this is fucking great. Now I have to redeem myself next go-around.

jakeroot

• U/Wash - Urban Design

« Reply #280 on: February 20, 2020, 05:31:01 AM »

I mentioned in the chat that I thought WA might have had some colored shields back in the day. I was referring to this photo I found a few days ago, which shows some US shields with slightly different shades of...whatever color they were:

I don't know why there's so many different shades of US Routes.

Photo taken in Tacoma, WA. Approximate location here (at the five-way intersection), looking Northwest (photo taken 1956 Nov 30):

usends

• usends.com

• Last Login: April 08, 2020, 07:12:18 PM
    • US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history
« Reply #281 on: February 20, 2020, 08:16:27 AM »

...I thought WA might have had some colored shields back in the day...
Yes: from what I've been able to find, it was only in the larger cities, and the colors may have been different between different cities.  See the bottom of this page for some examples.
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

US 89

• 189 to Evanston!

• Utah Highways
« Reply #282 on: February 21, 2020, 12:50:51 PM »

Questions from Wednesday night:

Alaska Closest guess: What is the elevation of the highest year-round mountain pass in Alaska? 4813 ft
Arizona What is the official state designation for the bypassed old alignment of US 93 east of the Hoover Dam? SR 93X
Arkansas Arkansas Highway 88 is better known by what name? Talimena Scenic Drive
California Closest guess: What is the lowest surface elevation reached by any national-level (Interstate or US) route in California? -52 ft
Colorado Which state highway follows the routing of the once-proposed US 789 in northern Colorado? SH 13
District of Columbia U.S. Routes were once signed through the District with colored shields. What color was used to denote a northbound route? Blue
Delaware The westbound Delaware Turnpike toll can easily be shunpiked by exiting onto what state route? DE 896
Florida What is the official slogan for State Road 91? The Less Stressway
Georgia The Jimmy Carter Presidential Library is located on the site of a once-proposed interchange between which two Interstate freeways? I-485 and I-675
Hawaii State routes serving the island of Molokai begin with which number? 4
Idaho US 95 crosses the Idaho/Adams county line how many times? 5
Illinois If the Mormons were to return to Nauvoo today, what state route would take them to the city center? IL 96
Indiana I-74 parallels which US Route west of Indianapolis? US 136
Iowa I-880 is a redesignation of I-680, which was itself a redesignation from what? I-80N
Kansas What is Kansas's mileage cap? 10,000 miles
Kentucky KY 1747 serves as a partial beltway in the southeastern Louisville metropolitan area. What is its name? Hurstbourne Parkway
Louisiana I-10 crosses the Atchafalaya River in this parish, which is noncontiguous due to a surveying error. St. Martin Parish
Maine What is the westernmost state route in Maine? ME 16
Maryland Closest guess: How many Maryland state route numbers terminate at the DC line? 21
Massachusetts US 20 is the longest US Route today. Its eastern terminus is in Boston at which cross street? Beacon Street/Kenmore Square
Minnesota What is the closest state route to Lake Itasca? MN 200
Mississippi In which city do US 11 and US 98 intersect? Hattiesburg
Missouri Which town is known among road enthusiasts for its intersection of three consecutive US Highway numbers? Sikeston
Montana There are six counties that do not have any Interstate or US Highways. MT 200 passes through four of them. Which primary state route passes through both of the others? MT 5
Nevada What is the state designation for Summerlin Parkway? SR 613
New Hampshire Which route is entirely concurrent with Business US 302? NH 16A
New Jersey What route designation was previously signed on the final (farthest downstream) free crossing of the Delaware River? US 1 Business
New Mexico This state road serves the Carlsbad Caverns National Park visitor center. NM 7
New York The 1980 Olympics were held at Lake Placid, which is located at the junction of which two numbered routes? NY 73 and NY 86
North Carolina Which island contains a state highway but is inaccessible by land? Ocracoke
North Dakota Name either of the two routes that intersect on causeways in the middle of Devils Lake. ND 20 and ND 57
Oklahoma What is the name of the road designated as Oklahoma State Highway 344? Gilcrease Turnpike
Oregon Addresses in Portland contain a directional prefix before every street name. How many directional prefixes are in use? 7 (NW, NE, SW, SE, N, W, E)
Pennsylvania Of the Pennsylvania Routes whose numbers do not match their internal State Route designations, which one does not share a number with an interstate route in PA? PA 97 (designated SR 0197)
South Carolina What is the only ADHS corridor to enter South Carolina? Corridor W (Bonus: This corridor follows which numbered highway. US 25)
South Dakota As the crow flies, which route comes closest to the highest point in the United States east of the Rockies? SD 87
Texas Closest guess: What is the lowest-numbered exit on I-2? 130
Utah As determined by the centerline of the road, prior to the shrinking of Grand Staircase and designation of Bears Ears, which UDOT-maintained routes entered a national park or monument? US 89; SR 9, 12, 24, 92, 95, 143
Vermont Which U.S. Route in Vermont does not have any associated bannered U.S. Routes in that state? US 302
Virginia What is the Virginia route designation for the George Washington Memorial Parkway? VA 90005
Washington Port Townsend and Fort Casey are connected by a ferry, which carries what numerical designation? WA 20
Wisconsin What is the only state-level or higher route to cross the western boundary of Wisconsin not at a river? MN 23
Wyoming What is the maximum number of concurrent mainline U.S. Highways in Wyoming, excluding implied routes in Yellowstone? BONUS: name them. 4 (US 26, 89, 189, 191)
United States What was the last US Highway to be commissioned entirely in one state? US 57
United States Name the remaining U.S. Routes that still split into E/W and N/S components that later rejoin. US 11, 19, 25, 31, 45, 49, 70
Canada Calgary's ring road goes by what name? Stoney Trail
Mexico What is the only Mexican “directo” Federal Route (i.e. suffixed with D) to terminate directly at the United States border? Federal Route 15D, Nogales
United Kingdom Which three motorways are located in Wales? M4, M48, A48(M)
France Le Mans is well known for car racing. If you drove from there to Paris along the fastest route, you’d likely spend most of your time on this motorway. A11
Australia This highway is the most direct route between the two largest metropolitan areas in Australia. Hume Highway/Highway 31
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 02:32:42 PM by US 89 »

Flickr
Imgur
Website

froggie

• Last Login: Today at 08:27:45 AM
    • Froggie's Place
« Reply #283 on: February 21, 2020, 01:56:49 PM »

New Hampshire Which route is entirely concurrent with Business US 302? NH 16A

I'm not convinced BUSINESS 302 even exists anymore.  Wikipedia's pages on it reference the state's route log (which is no longer accessible) and the state's GIS road data.  Recent versions of the latter make ZERO mention of BUSINESS 302 along 16A.

jakeroot

• U/Wash - Urban Design

« Reply #284 on: February 21, 2020, 04:34:22 PM »

Oklahoma What is the name of the road designated as Oklahoma State Highway 344? Gilcrease Turnpike

This road currently exists?

...I thought WA might have had some colored shields back in the day...
Yes: from what I've been able to find, it was only in the larger cities, and the colors may have been different between different cities.  See the bottom of this page for some examples.

That's really cool. I was thinking that the shields might have had slightly different shades of grey or black or white, but the text photo you have in that link definitely seals the deal.

Unfortunately, Tacoma no longer has any US routes running through it, and hasn't for decades, so I'm sure those colored route shields are long gone.

Roadgeek Adam

• Warren CR 14 - Warrensburg, NY

• Last Login: Today at 12:06:51 AM
    • My Flickr Photostream
« Reply #285 on: March 24, 2020, 06:03:29 PM »

Before I forget to do the scheduling, right now let me announce the following:

Roadgeek Adam's Roads Bar Trivia
Wednesday, April 15, 2020, 7:32 p.m.
AARoads chat, in whatever form it will be on April 15.

There will be posts upcoming on rules and formats as we get closer.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University '17
B.A. History, Montclair State University '15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex County College '13

US 89

• 189 to Evanston!

• Utah Highways
« Reply #286 on: March 24, 2020, 06:20:15 PM »

That's 5:32 pm real time.  :sombrero:

Flickr
Imgur
Website

Roadgeek Adam

• My Flickr Photostream
« Reply #287 on: March 30, 2020, 12:13:11 AM »

So the full rules and format is definitely a bit of a different take from previous trivias. I have a friend in Corning, New York who is a DJ and does bar trivia and I like that style a bit more. (I have partaken in bar trivia). So the format is going to be fun.

There are many basic rules and one I'll have to explain a bit further down below.

a) There are 56 questions.
b) There will be 6 rounds and a final J! / wager round for question 56.
c) The scoring system will be like this:
   c1) Round 1 - 5 points (10 questions)
   c2) Round 2 - 10 points (10 questions)
   c3) Round 3 - 15 points (10 questions)
   c4) Round 4 - 20 points (10 questions)
   c5) Round 5 - 25 points (10 questions)
   c6) Round 6 - 30 points (5 questions)
   c7) Round 7 - Wager (1 question)
d) There are multiple answer and range questions.
e) 34 US states, 6 Canadian provinces, 1 US pseudo-territory, and 6 countries are represented in the questions.
f) This is not an open notes quizzer. You have your brains and your strong brains alone in answering the questions.
g) Each question except for 3 about to explain is going to be 30-32 seconds. There will be breaks of 2 minutes between R1-R2, R2-R3 and so on except for R6-7 where wagers will be PMed to me.
h) Now, this is the tough one. There will be 3 questions spread out around the game that test your concepts of logic. There is a British game show named Only Connect that airs on BBC2. I have attached a copy of an episode for you to get the idea.
Simply put, there will be questions:
 h1) I will give you 1 of 4 clues every 15 seconds. You have to tell me what the common bond is between the 4 clues.
 h2) I will give you 1 of 3 clues every 15 seconds. You will have to tell me the 4th. (No need to explain the connection, but I need the 4th)
 h3) I will give you 4 different phrases every 15 seconds. You will notice they are all missing vowels. I have also rearranged the consonants around a bit so they may not match the words. You will have 60 seconds to give me all 4 full phrases.
If I gave you the connecting wall we'd be here all night.
i) There will be no penalties for wrong answers except for question no. 56.

This will be fun to host. I may never get to host again, so I'm going full-blast on this one.

Remember, April 15, 2020 (a Wednesday) at 7:32 pm.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 11:35:17 PM by Roadgeek Adam »
Adam Seth Moss

Alps

• Everybody Obeys the Octagon

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: Today at 09:14:09 AM
    • Alps' Roads
« Reply #288 on: March 30, 2020, 12:40:59 AM »

Simply put, there will be questions:
 h1) I will give you 1 of 4 clues every 15 seconds. You have to tell me what the common bond is between the 4 clues.
 h2) I will give you 1 of 3 clues every 15 seconds. You will have to tell me the 4th. (No need to explain the connection, but I need the 4th)
 h3) I will give you 4 different phrases every 15 seconds. You will notice they are all missing vowels. I have also rearranged the consonants around a bit so they may not match the words. You will have 60 seconds to give me all 4 full phrases.
If I gave you the connecting wall we'd be here all night.

This will be fun to host. I may never get to host again, so I'm going full-blast on this one.

Remember, April 15, 2020 (a Wednesday) at 7:32 pm.
h1) You get one guess every 15 seconds. If you change your guess after the next clue, you get only that number of points.
h2) Same
h3) The consonants will be in order, but the spaces will vary.

Roadgeek Adam

• My Flickr Photostream
« Reply #289 on: March 30, 2020, 12:54:56 AM »

After talking with Steve and others. I will probably host a dummy round on April 8 at 8 pm of the 3 question styles in the video above. Seems fair to be prepared.
Adam Seth Moss

cl94

• Trust me, I'm a transportation engineer

• Last Login: Today at 12:05:23 AM
« Reply #290 on: March 30, 2020, 02:52:10 PM »

Heh, Only Connect is one of the shows I watch semi-regularly when across the pond. I like the sound of this trivia night. "Find the link" or "complete the series", so just getting lucky won't help you as much.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

CNGL-Leudimin

• When in doubt, US 41

• Last Login: Today at 10:08:32 AM
« Reply #291 on: March 31, 2020, 08:50:18 AM »

No, it is 1:32 a.m. on Thursday, 2020, April 16 real time :bigass:. So once again, I'm out.
"Football", a quite ambiguous word for me. I assume "association" football instead of "American" football.

All times Eastern unless DST is in force only in the USA (Central in that case to preserve "6 hours behind my actual time") or otherwise noted

Roadgeek Adam

• My Flickr Photostream
« Reply #292 on: March 31, 2020, 04:30:11 PM »

No, it is 1:32 a.m. on Thursday, 2020, April 16 real time :bigass:. So once again, I'm out.

As much as I'd love to make the UK at home, even with everyone in quarantine, people are still working at like 5 or 6 in the evening. Trust me, I'd make it work if I could, especially with a British game show forming three questions.
Adam Seth Moss

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.