AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The next forum trivia night will take place on OCTOBER 30, 2019 at 8:15 PM Eastern.

Author Topic: Elgin-O'Hare Tollway  (Read 124567 times)

ChiMilNet

• Last Login: November 13, 2019, 04:49:34 PM
Re: Elgin-O'Hare Tollway
« Reply #550 on: March 22, 2019, 11:06:06 AM »

Here is a crazy, delusional, fictional idea I just had. What if someone proposed to build a tunnel underneath O'Hare airport that would connect IL-390 with Interstate 190, as a way to bypass O'Hare and surrounding roads? What do you all think of my ludicrous fantasy proposal?
Supposedly the way the Blue Line was constructed, it can't be extended directly from its current terminus (the occasional proposals to extend the Blue Line to Schaumburg would require building a spur off the current Blue Line before the O'Hare stop).  I'm not sure if that also means you couldn't build an I-190 tunnel under the current airport terminal.

Technically feasible = Yes
Very expensive = Yes
Will Chicago allow it? = No

If the tunnel like this started on I-190 back at Mannheim and came up at the new parking garage on the west side of the airport? Then yes, Chicago would do it.

But it would be cheaper to have the O'Hare recirculator go through that tunnel instead of cars and trucks and pop up in some future west terminal.

Chicago is too greedy.

The western suburbs tried to have a fixed transit service come in from the west to O'Hare and tunnel under to arrive at Terminal 2.  Chicago wouldn't have it.

Northwest suburbs tried to join in on the concept. A direct transit route from Arlington Heights/Palatine.  Chicago said "no way".

To Chicago, O'Hare is an old fashioned bank. 

They haven't figured out what most banks today have, the easier you make it for people to get their money, the more they want to put it there.

O'Hare is like an old school bank, they want all your money, they restrict what you can do with it and limit your abilities to get it.

They haven't realized that the easier it is to get in and out, the more people will use it. (duh)

After what it took to get a Metra stop at O'Hare, and get Chicago to agree to punch a hole in the fence so people could walk over.  They still object to any enhancement to that station.

Control and greed.

When the Illinois State Lottery wanted to put vending machines in O'Hare, Chicago told them to pound sand.

They finally did a swap. Illinois State Police got all patrol priority and ticket revenue for stops on the interstates in city limits, in return, Chicago got to keep a large part of lottery vending revenue.

Chicago Police stopped harassing commuters shortly thereafter. Within a year Illinois State Police patrols on city limit interstates dropped to nil.

Control and greed.

I actually proposed this idea also in a prior thread. I think the only way Chicago would even CONSIDER agreeing to it is if the Tollway and Chicago worked out a deal to split any revenue a tollway tunnel would create. I could foresee a rate of $4-$5 to use it. Plenty of people would do it for the convenience, but a lot of people would avoid it to avoid the high toll. This is, of course, getting into fictional, so I'll stop it here. I'll be excited for when the I-490/90 interchange starts. Having that link will make trips to Schaumburg, Itasca, and some of the West Suburbs from the North Side of Chicago a fair amount easier (though a bit pricey, I admit).

ILRoad55

• Last Login: April 03, 2019, 12:11:06 AM
Re: Elgin-O'Hare Tollway
« Reply #551 on: March 22, 2019, 11:39:36 AM »

When my Son and I did the halloween bicycle ride on 390 back in 2017, we had a lot of fun.  Awesome experience to ride on a tollway without cars before it opens.

That reminds me of when my Dad and I did the event they had for the 355-extension before it opened it. I was a kid and we walked from 127th to like the north end of the Des Plaines River Valley Bridge. It was really cool but I barely remember much of it.
Just a person who loves Roads, construction, maps and anything similar.

Hope to live in NYC someday.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.