News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Light up signs when using electronic tolling

Started by bugo, March 27, 2013, 02:40:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

On Oklahoma's turnpikes, there are signs about the size of walk/don't walk signs that light up when a car with Pikepass passes the sign.  The words "Thank you" light up when you pass a tollbooth.  Do any other states have a system like this?

realjd

Most of Florida is open road tolling now so no stopping or confirmation lights, but the FTE/SunPass booths typically used orange painted stoplights with "Thanks" painted across the green lens. OOCEA booths used two section white painted stop lights similarly marked.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: bugo on March 27, 2013, 02:40:24 PM
On Oklahoma's turnpikes, there are signs about the size of walk/don't walk signs that light up when a car with Pikepass passes the sign.  The words "Thank you" light up when you pass a tollbooth.  Do any other states have a system like this?

Lanes at Maryland's cash toll barriers (including those that are E-ZPass only) have a matrix sign that shows "Toll Paid" when you pass the toll booth.

The InterCounty Connector (Md. 200), which is cashless, has no such feedback.

Virginia's Dulles Toll Road (Va. 267) has "traffic signals" in the E-ZPass only lanes at the main barrier that blink green if your E-ZPass transponder was read correctly.

The private Dulles Greenway (also Va. 267) has gated toll lanes, so when the gate goes up, you can be pretty sure that your transponder was read correctly.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Mr_Northside

If memory serves (and I sure as hell hope it does, as I've had EZ-Pass since 2006), The PA Turnpike (excepting plazas with "express" lanes) uses a standard-looking 3-head traffic signal.  Green shows when the EZ-Pass has been read successfully, and the lens also has "Thank You" imprinted on it.
Yellow is for Low Balance, and has that written on the lens.
Red is what is usually showing until the EZ-Pass is read.

I haven't thought about it until this thread, but the red light is probably a really stupid idea.  While the EZ-Pass toll plaza lanes have a speed limit of 5 MPH, they really don't want people actually stopping in them. If you don't have an EZ-PASS and end up in an EZ-PASS only lane, they expect drivers to just deal with the fine/fee they get in the mail.  In the earlier days, they'd have press releases asking people to not stop in those lanes cause people would, and some people would even try to back up and into another lane, creating dangerous situations.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

myosh_tino

There are small LED signs positioned immediately after the toll booth that will display "FASTRAK OK" or "ETC OK" when a toll is collected electronically.  This applies at all seven BATA (Bay Area Toll Authority) bridges with the only exception being the open-road tolling lanes on the Benicia Bridge. 

The Golden Gate Bridge, which went all electronic tolling this morning, also has the LED signs but if I recall correctly, the signs read "PAY TOLL" followed by "FASTRAK OK" or "PAID 6.00" depending on how the toll was paid.  Now that the Golden Gate is now all electronic tolling, I'm not sure how or if the LED signs are being used.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

Brandon

ISTHA has a two light system in the non-ORT lanes.  Blue is good, yellow is out of funds, and the combination of the two is a low account balance, sub-$10.  The green Thank You light also goes on when you pass through.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

deathtopumpkins

I've never paid attention to the specific design of them, but most toll facilities have some acknowledgement that you've paid a toll with E-ZPass. Here in MA on the Tobin Bridge a dot-matrix signboard beneath a RYG traffic signal (which lights up green) displays "PAID $2.50" (or whatever the amount for your class is) once it reads your transponder: http://goo.gl/maps/C0vmp, and on the MassPike both the "faux-ORT" lanes and the booth E-ZPass lanes only have thesignal, no display.

I know, however, that the ORT lanes on I-95 in NH have no acknowledgement.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

briantroutman

Quote from: myosh_tino on March 27, 2013, 03:34:45 PM
The Golden Gate Bridge, which went all electronic tolling this morning, also has the LED signs but if I recall correctly, the signs read "PAY TOLL" followed by "FASTRAK OK" or "PAID 6.00" depending on how the toll was paid.  Now that the Golden Gate is now all electronic tolling, I'm not sure how or if the LED signs are being used.

I drove over the GGB this morning, and I wasn't expecting this, but I think the all-electronic tolling will be a negative for me personally.

I was always baffled by the great number of people who live in the Bay Area and don't have FasTrak–particularly in Marin. As a consequence, the cash lanes were always jammed, and the FasTrak lanes on the left served as a convenient shortcut for me.

Now, there are no dedicated FasTrak lanes. The LED signs above all lanes simply say "OPEN" and the traffic is more or less evenly distributed aside from the HOV-dedicated lanes. (Strike one.) Maybe people will adjust in time, but at least as of this morning, the timid and confused non-FasTrak-ers (who are distributed across all lanes) creep through the toll plaza much more slowly than I'm used to. (Strike two.) Plus, since the toll plaza used to be a bottleneck for the cash-paying drivers, they now move through much more steadily and traffic creeps slowly all the way down the Presidio Parkway. (Strike three.)

I guess I'll have to get back into taking the ferry.

The GGB Transportation District has been busy lately getting ready for the changeover by adding "DO NOT STOP" signs at each toll plaza lane and advertising the cashless "D-Day" on every VMS from San Fran to Santa Rosa. They also added "Last Exit Before Toll" plates on the Exit 442 overhead guides (which now lists "Alexander Ave" instead of "Sausalito") and yellow "TOLL" plates below the 101/1 shields. On the last two, I'm not sure why–it was ALWAYS a toll bridge, in fact now, since you don't need to carry cash, it seems like a moot point.

DeaconG

Quote from: Mr_Northside on March 27, 2013, 03:24:52 PM
If memory serves (and I sure as hell hope it does, as I've had EZ-Pass since 2006), The PA Turnpike (excepting plazas with "express" lanes) uses a standard-looking 3-head traffic signal.  Green shows when the EZ-Pass has been read successfully, and the lens also has "Thank You" imprinted on it.
Yellow is for Low Balance, and has that written on the lens.
Red is what is usually showing until the EZ-Pass is read.

The Garcon Point Bridge in NW Florida has the same signals, except they're for SunPass.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

wxfree

Before the Central Texas Turnpike System went cashless, it had red and green lights in the cash lanes and ramp toll booths.  It did not have the lights on the mainlanes.  On some ramps on TX 130, there was an electronic sign in the coin basket lane.  I once used the coin basket in spite of having a TxTag.  The sign at first said something like "TxTag detected" and after I paid in coins it said "Thank you."  I didn't really notice the sign at the time, so I didn't really see what it said at first, but I think it was something about the tag.  I paid with coins because I was about to lose the opportunity to do that.  Now all those roads are cashless.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

jeffandnicole

In NJ, the Turnpike and Parkway have 3 line, 6 character displays.  I rarely look at them anymore, but I'm pretty sure they say "EZ PASS PAID" "EZ PASS GO" "GO UNPAID TOLL" "GO LOW BAL" and similiar messages, depending on the toll plaza (the message differs on the Turnpike based on if you're getting on or off).

The AC Expressway has those displays on the mainline tolls.  On the ramp tolls, they have a 3 headed traffic light, which I have only seen flash green.

Personally, the messages are the worst part of the system.  Sure it reassures the motorist the toll was paid, but if the toll wasn't paid, there's nothing the motorist can do at that point anyway.  Some motorists slow down...way down...just to see the message.  Others will just sit there if they get a "Unpaid Toll" message, and the toll workers can't do a damn thing about it anyway.

kphoger

Quote from: Mr_Northside on March 27, 2013, 03:24:52 PM
I haven't thought about it until this thread, but the red light is probably a really stupid idea.  While the EZ-Pass toll plaza lanes have a speed limit of 5 MPH, they really don't want people actually stopping in them. If you don't have an EZ-PASS and end up in an EZ-PASS only lane, they expect drivers to just deal with the fine/fee they get in the mail.  In the earlier days, they'd have press releases asking people to not stop in those lanes cause people would, and some people would even try to back up and into another lane, creating dangerous situations.

Two years ago, I saw a bus reversing out of one lane in favor of another lane at the Sabinas Hidalgo toll booth on northbound 85(D) between Monterrey and Nuevo Laredo, México.  There was other traffic behind it, which must have made things interesting (we caught the fun as it was ending).  It backed up just far enough to be able to cut diagonally across (I think) one other lane, and then the turn into the toll booth was too tight so he had to redo it again.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

SidS1045

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on March 27, 2013, 07:22:30 PM
I've never paid attention to the specific design of them, but most toll facilities have some acknowledgement that you've paid a toll with E-ZPass. Here in MA on the Tobin Bridge a dot-matrix signboard beneath a RYG traffic signal (which lights up green) displays "PAID $2.50" (or whatever the amount for your class is) once it reads your transponder: http://goo.gl/maps/C0vmp, and on the MassPike both the "faux-ORT" lanes and the booth E-ZPass lanes only have thesignal, no display.

The E-ZPass lane signals on the MassPike were deliberately made with two yellow signals, so no one would be tempted to stop.  The bottom one is a green ball with the legend THANK YOU for a valid payment.  The middle one is a yellow ball with the legend LOW BAL, for those who manually load money into their accounts and have a low balance.  The top one is a yellow ball with the legend CALL E-ZPASS, for vehicles without a readable tag.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

kphoger

Quote from: SidS1045 on March 28, 2013, 10:34:05 AM

The E-ZPass lane signals on the MassPike were deliberately made with two yellow signals, so no one would be tempted to stop.  The bottom one is a green ball for a valid payment.  The middle one is a yellow ball with the legend

Due to your tag line and the lack of an ending to your post, I read this as:

The middle one is a yellow ball with the legend
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

SidS1045

Yes, and you get extra money in your account if you can actually read all that on an eight-inch traffic light...   :-D
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

bugo

Many of the Pikepass lanes don't have a speed zone.  However, some of the older toll boots have a 30 MPH speed limit.

roadman

New Hampshire EZ-Pass lanes, except for ORT, have GYR lights with small CMS boards that give you a green light and read "GO EZ-PASS" to acknowledge your transaction has been accepted.  Yellow light means your account needs to be replenished, and a red light means there's a problem reading the transponder.

MassPike has a similar light system for their EZ-Pass lanes, but without the CMS boards.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

1995hoo

I recall a toll plaza somewhere, I think probably the Delaware Turnpike plaza pre-reconstruction, whose display said "E-ZPass Thx." (I normally avoid that plaza, but I've gone through it often enough as a passenger.) I remember thinking it was a little hard to read and that a green light or "E-ZPass Paid" would be better.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

nwi_navigator_1181

On the Indiana Toll Road:

All lanes are gated. Overhead LED signs designate which lanes are electronic and which are cash lanes. ETC users will see three messages on the electric sign:

"TAG ACCEPTED" (light goes green, gate goes up)
"LOW BALANCE" (when less than $10 in account; tag still accepted, light goes green, gate goes up)
"TAG NOT ACCEPTED" (light stays red, gate stays down)

So, it's the mix of the classic red/green light and gate combination with the modern electronic toll system.
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.