News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Overused stop signs

Started by NE2, April 01, 2013, 02:30:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

agentsteel53

is that a NO MOTOR VEHICLES on the opposite side of each intersection?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

kj3400

Poor stop signs. The cyclists probably ignore them anyway.
Call me Kenny/Kenneth. No, seriously.

NE2

Quote from: kj3400 on April 01, 2013, 02:41:02 PM
Poor stop signs. The cyclists probably ignore them anyway.
Yep.

agentsteel53

I see the orange center posts now.  those were some pretty low-resolution photos, you must admit.

jake@aaroads.com

cwm1276

kj3400

I don't think there's a problem with confused cars here.
Call me Kenny/Kenneth. No, seriously.

NE2

Quote from: cwm1276 on April 01, 2013, 03:19:53 PM
needing special "path only" signs to tell the cars not to stop.
Unless you're talking about the Goog's self-driving cars (which probably don't parse that sign correctly), telling a car not to stop doesn't do anything.

realjd

There's a road here in Melbourne (W Hibiscus Blvd) that has stop signs on the sidewalk for every single driveway. Because they're so close to the road, they are all tagged "BIKES ONLY". It's dumb.

On the bike path pictured, they should be yield signs IMO.

EDIT: why stop at yield signs? Why not use full bicycle roundabouts? Or a fully controlled access diverging diamond interchange at those driveways?

NE2

Quote from: realjd on April 01, 2013, 07:52:03 PM
The recommendation of the presentation author is as follows (at crossings of minor roads):

There's no reason a private driveway with a single-digit AADT should have right-of-way over a path.

djsinco

I ponder the millions of barrels of oil wasted every year due to unnecessary stop signs. In many cases, a yield sign would suffice. Coming to a full stop over and over again wastes fuel, and pollutes the environment.

The same could be said for all the traffic control signals which could be timed for one direction of travel in the day and yellow/red blinking at night where feasible.
3 million miles and counting

jeffandnicole

Quote from: NE2 on April 01, 2013, 02:30:17 PM

http://commuteorlando.com/wordpress/2013/03/31/i-am-traffic-even-on-the-path/

It's a little tough to tell, but those pictures that state 'Driveway' seem to be more of an access road to a development or ballfields that may see a fair amount of traffic, not exactly someone's personal driveway.

Guess these bicyclists, who have no problem with the overposting of Stop signs on regular roads, don't understand that they are in fact motorists themselves, subject to the same rules as cars and trucks.  With that being the case, traffic control is needed.

I'm sure some bicyclist drove thru an intersection and got hit, claimed there wasn't a stop sign, and sued.

empirestate

PHLBOS

I wish somebody would compile a similar presentation to the 5 southeastern PA counties regarding overusing STOP signs.  On many non-PennDOT roads, the majority of STOP signs are indeed erected for speed control purposes which is an MUTCD no-no.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

elsmere241

Quote from: djsinco on April 02, 2013, 02:29:55 AM
I ponder the millions of barrels of oil wasted every year due to unnecessary stop signs. In many cases, a yield sign would suffice. Coming to a full stop over and over again wastes fuel, and pollutes the environment.

The same could be said for all the traffic control signals which could be timed for one direction of travel in the day and yellow/red blinking at night where feasible.

Personally, I think there are plenty of 4-way stop signs and even some traffic lights that could, and should, be replaced with roundabouts.

kphoger

Quote from: realjd on April 01, 2013, 07:52:03 PM
There's a road here in Melbourne (W Hibiscus Blvd) that has stop signs on the sidewalk for every single driveway. Because they're so close to the road, they are all tagged "BIKES ONLY". It's dumb.

EDIT: why stop at yield signs? Why not use full bicycle roundabouts? Or a fully controlled access diverging diamond interchange at those driveways?

It's a good thing pedestrians aren't required to stop first.  I guess.....
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Big John

Quote from: PHLBOS on April 02, 2013, 09:09:56 AM
I wish somebody would compile a similar presentation to the 5 southeastern PA counties regarding overusing STOP signs.  On many non-PennDOT roads, the majority of STOP signs are indeed erected for speed control purposes which is an MUTCD no-no.

2009 MUTCD:

Section 2B.04 Right-of-Way at Intersections

05 YIELD or STOP signs should not be used for speed control.

Meaning it is discouraged, but not prohibited as would be the case if "should" was changed to "shall"

PurdueBill

Quote from: Big John on April 02, 2013, 04:06:09 PM

2009 MUTCD:

Section 2B.04 Right-of-Way at Intersections

05 YIELD or STOP signs should not be used for speed control.

Meaning it is discouraged, but not prohibited as would be the case if "should" was changed to "shall"

If they did change it to a "shall", there would probably be a major uprising from jurisdictions that use STOP signs as speed control just because they can. 

On Purdue's campus there have been a number of failed bike paths/lanes put in over the years that just were not designed right at all.  Some years back I recall one that ran parallel to State St. that had small nonstandard signs reading "STOP - WALK BIKE" at every crossing of the path with a side street or driveway.  Those who did use the path ignored them, and those who didn't want to get in trouble simply rode on State Street itself.  The powers that be just didn't get it that no one will use the path if they have to constantly get on and off their bike to cross a side street or driveway that may not have that much traffic itself.

There are also several instances of well-meaning bike paths that simply end due to changes over time to the surroundings; one used to cross a divided driveway that became a pedestrian mall/green space.  The bike path simply arrives, stripes and all, at the pedestrian mall and just abruptly ends.  Offset across the pedestrian walkways and grass is the continuation.  Where exactly should the bikes go in the meantime?  Reminds me of some of the other slides at that link.

agentsteel53

Quote from: PurdueBill on April 02, 2013, 06:20:11 PM
If they did change it to a "shall", there would probably be a major uprising from jurisdictions that use STOP signs as speed control just because they can. 

so?

it is the responsibility of the law to rein in poorly acting municipalities.  see: New Rome, Ohio.

jake@aaroads.com

realjd

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 02, 2013, 08:34:33 AM
Quote from: NE2 on April 01, 2013, 02:30:17 PM

http://commuteorlando.com/wordpress/2013/03/31/i-am-traffic-even-on-the-path/

It's a little tough to tell, but those pictures that state 'Driveway' seem to be more of an access road to a development or ballfields that may see a fair amount of traffic, not exactly someone's personal driveway.

Guess these bicyclists, who have no problem with the overposting of Stop signs on regular roads, don't understand that they are in fact motorists themselves, subject to the same rules as cars and trucks.  With that being the case, traffic control is needed.

I'm sure some bicyclist drove thru an intersection and got hit, claimed there wasn't a stop sign, and sued.

Or they could put the stop signs on the minor road - the ball field access - and let the primary road - the bike path - flow properly. Just because cars go through doesn't automatically make them the primary movement through an intersection.

LPCJr

Yes it is really bad here.  There are 3-way and 4-way stops all over the place that are just completely unnecessary.  If towns think that people are driving too fast, they should use the police to enforce speed limits.  Instead, I have to wear out my brakes unnecessarily.

NE2

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 02, 2013, 08:34:33 AM
Guess these bicyclists, who have no problem with the overposting of Stop signs on regular roads
Huh?
http://commuteorlando.com/wordpress/2010/03/23/stop-signs-suck/
http://commuteorlando.com/wordpress/2010/05/26/contempt-for-stop-signs/
http://commuteorlando.com/wordpress/2012/06/21/endangered-species-spotted-thriving-in-local-neighborhood/

There are also several instances of well-meaning bike paths that simply end due to changes over time to the surroundings; one used to cross a divided driveway that became a pedestrian mall/green space.  The bike path simply arrives, stripes and all, at the pedestrian mall and just abruptly ends.  Offset across the pedestrian walkways and grass is the continuation.  Where exactly should the bikes go in the meantime?  Reminds me of some of the other slides at that link.
At least it connects to the sidewalks. Nothing beats this lack of connectivity in Lake Wales: http://goo.gl/maps/1DR4f

kphoger

Quote from: NE2 on April 02, 2013, 08:36:17 PM
this lack of connectivity in Lake Wales: http://goo.gl/maps/1DR4f

That's what's called an "implied multiuse path apron".
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

PurdueBill

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 02, 2013, 07:11:24 PM

so?

it is the responsibility of the law to rein in poorly acting municipalities.  see: New Rome, Ohio.

Them and Linndale (although Linndale as a whole isn't out of business--just its Mayor's Court)...although I don't know if a state government would stand up to municipalities over improper stop signs used for speed control when they are so much more rampant. 

At least also in West Lafayette there are still some YIELD signs in appropriate places instead of STOP signs.  Not enough, but at least some.  Around my area of Ohio, that would be unheard of.  Near my house they are making several former 2-way stops at 4-way intersections into 4-way stops, apparently to calm traffic.  Sigh.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.