News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Routes you've clinched in one sitting

Started by hbelkins, April 21, 2013, 12:05:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtk

I think most folks are setting the bar wherever they need to so they can post something.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Alps

Quote from: vtk on April 28, 2013, 03:56:24 AM
I think most folks are setting the bar wherever they need to so they can post something.
I wonder which road is most clinched in a single sitting of viable length. I-97 just seems too short. NJ Turnpike, Balto-Wash Parkway, Atlantic City Expwy...

corco

I-82 gets clinched a lot at once, probably the western I-76 and the western I-88 too. Same with I-17. I-19 a bit less so since a big chunk of the traffic gets off to take SR 189 to Mexico.

Late edit: Actually, probably not I-17 and maybe not 76. But I-82 definitely gets clinched a lot at once and I'd bet the western I-88 does too. 

1995hoo

Quote from: Steve on April 28, 2013, 03:59:55 PM
I wonder which road is most clinched in a single sitting of viable length. I-97 just seems too short. NJ Turnpike, Balto-Wash Parkway, Atlantic City Expwy...

Depending on how you define "viable length," I have to think it'd be a relatively urban/suburban route with a lot of commuter traffic (which includes the BW Parkway). I've never been to California and so don't know their roads, but might their Route 91 be a strong possibility?

BTW, I'm interpreting "clinched" as meaning by the general population, not just by road aficionados.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Duke87

Atlantic City Expressway is the most likely candidate I can think of.

The Turnpike handles more traffic and the amount going straight from 1 to 18E or 18W is probably not insignificant, but it is impossible to clinch the entire Turnpike in one shot because you have the eastern/western spur split, plus the Newark Bay and PA Turnpike extensions. It's three trips at minimum for everything.

Also, does it count if you stop at a service plaza? If not then that kills a lot of trips even if we go with just the mainline.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Alps

Quote from: Duke87 on April 28, 2013, 06:00:57 PM
Atlantic City Expressway is the most likely candidate I can think of.

The Turnpike handles more traffic and the amount going straight from 1 to 18E or 18W is probably not insignificant, but it is impossible to clinch the entire Turnpike in one shot because you have the eastern/western spur split, plus the Newark Bay and PA Turnpike extensions. It's three trips at minimum for everything.

Also, does it count if you stop at a service plaza? If not then that kills a lot of trips even if we go with just the mainline.
Service plazas absolutely count, and I'm not looking at split mainlines as part of this issue as long as they come back together.
Quote from: 1995hoo on April 28, 2013, 04:15:31 PM

BTW, I'm interpreting "clinched" as meaning by the general population, not just by road aficionados.
Yes, sir.

hbelkins

I-68, perhaps? Or maybe I-271 in Ohio. Come to think of it, I clinched that route in one sitting a few years ago.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

vtk

Quote from: hbelkins on April 28, 2013, 09:34:16 PM

I-68, perhaps? Or maybe I-271 in Ohio. Come to think of it, I clinched that route in one sitting a few years ago.

Is 46 miles long enough?  Beats the pants off I-97 anyway.

Actually, I just remembered a time when I did a lap (55 miles) around Columbus on I-270.  I was taking notes on lane counts while a friend drove – this was before aerial imagery of sufficient resolution readily available.  Made one stop for coffee.  (Even a 40 minute ride with coffee drinkers seems to require a stop for more coffee somewhere along the way...)
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

kendancy66

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 28, 2013, 04:15:31 PM

Depending on how you define "viable length," I have to think it'd be a relatively urban/suburban route with a lot of commuter traffic (which includes the BW Parkway). I've never been to California and so don't know their roads, but might their Route 91 be a strong possibility?

I don't think that one is a good example.  I would think most people from Riverside go to beaches that are a lot closer than Hemoso Beach or Manhattan Beach.  Especially since the last part of Route 91 is not freeway.

vdeane

Quote from: corco on April 28, 2013, 04:04:40 PM
I-82 gets clinched a lot at once, probably the western I-76 and the western I-88 too. Same with I-17. I-19 a bit less so since a big chunk of the traffic gets off to take SR 189 to Mexico.

Late edit: Actually, probably not I-17 and maybe not 76. But I-82 definitely gets clinched a lot at once and I'd bet the western I-88 does too. 
Probably the eastern I-88 too.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Dr Frankenstein

This is harder than I thought...

In one sitting and on the first, roughly by length: ON 403, ON 402, ON 416, ON 115, I-664, I-481, I-395 (VA-DC), I-295 (MD-DC), DC 295, NY 190, NY 345, A-955, ON 404, ON 410, A-31, QC 136 (unposted), Gardiner Expy, Don Valley Pkwy, Henry Hudson Pkwy, ON 58 & 58A, NY 131, A-610, A-973, A-540, I-189, I-375 (Detroit) and Business Spur, ON 148, NY 189, NY 185, NJ 139, ON 137, MD 3, VT 139, MD 702, Alt US 5 (Derby Line VT), NJ 81, ON 2 (Current), NJ 62

First clinched on an end-to-end trip: I-91, Garden State Parkway (over two days but without backtracking), NY 9N, A-13, A-19, Taconic State Pkwy, New Jersey Tpk, 407 ETR, A-640, Palisades Interstate Pkwy, Lake Ontario State Pkwy, Sprain Brook Pkwy, ON 34, I-787 (not counting the toll booth for thruway), I-264, A-720

Clinched in one sitting after a renumbering: A-730, A-930

There might be others but they're not coming to my mind.

agentsteel53

Quote from: corco on April 28, 2013, 04:04:40 PM

the only time I've ever driven the southernmost section of I-17, between the two I-10 junctions, is when I clinched it in 2003 as a straight shot without stopping.  apart from that, I have never been on that section of I-17 since. 

I once did I-30 all the way from I-40 to I-20 in nearly one shot, stopping only for gas about 20 miles past Texarkana and getting back on at the same exit.  TX-8 in New Boston, IIRC. 

30 and 17 were the first interstates I ever clinched - I went from having 0 miles driven on either, to completing both, in two straight shots.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Ian

Interstates: I-68, I-295 (RI and Maine), I-395 (DC and Maine), I-676, I-495 (Delaware), I-787, I-176, I-283, I-684, I-691, I-290 (MA), I-293, I-393

US routes: US 422 (eastern)

Ontario 400-series: 416

Quebec Autoroutes: 13, 520, former 540 (Vaudreuil-Dorion)
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

ET21

I-355 : Went from one family party to another, took that entire route.
I-294 : Clinched 95th to Wisconsin going to Milwaukee, got 95th to Indiana done going to Michigan
I-190 : Did the full loop 3 times going into O'Hare waiting to pick someone up
I-290 : Did I-294 to 90 to visit my cousins in the Northwest burbs, 294 to Congress multiple times going to/from Chi Loop.

One of these nights I wanna do a full loop of every expressway in Chicago in one sitting, non-rush hour of course  :biggrin:
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Thing 342

Just I-16,  I-17, and I-24. I have done almost all of I-85 (Petersburg to Columbus), I-66 (Beltway to I-81), and I-64 (St. Louis to Newport News) in one sitting.

hbelkins

I can add I-93 to my collection.

And I also did I-99 (again) on the same trip.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Laura

Interstate:
Completed in one trip: 68, 85, 87, 88, 97, 99

Honorable mention: 84. Haha on the way to the Portsmouth meet, Mike and I got off at US-6 so that we could drive into Rhode Island (and count it as part of our "50 states as a couple" clinch. We hit the remainder of 84 the next night on the way back.

US Highways:
Completed in one trip: US-211

Honorable mention: US-340. I had set to complete this all in one trip but forgot the piece below I-64. Failboat.

formulanone

Quote from: hbelkins on April 21, 2013, 11:05:19 PM
But I did do I-99 in one excursion, although I did take one exit to go grab a county...

Huntington County, right? Did the same thing, since it was perhaps 3 minutes away...caught the first mile or so of I-99 the day before I logged everything after Exit 1 to its northern terminus.

Looking back, with the exception of a dozen or so 3di's, I've never clinched anything of serious length in one go (maybe I-95 within the boundardies of a few states). Maybe a handful of short state/county roads, but nothing like the distance of a entire US Route or Interstate. I tend to wander, and save clinching for later.

Mapmikey

2di Interstates clinched all at once: 12, 17, 27, 30, 59, 68, 97, 99
US routes clinched all at once: 11W, 46, 48, 130, 163, 176, 178, 211, US 422 eastern segment

In early August I am hoping to do US 4 and eastern I-88 all at once.

I have twice taken a trip to a city and clinched a route one direction from the city, then drove the other direction on the rest of the route to head home: Tallahassse US 319; Providence US 44

I have driven hundreds of state routes in their entirety all at once.  Off the top of my head the longest ones I've done all at once are GA 1 and VA 3.

Mapmikey

agentsteel53

Quote from: Laura Bianca on June 14, 2013, 09:17:45 AM

Honorable mention: US-340. I had set to complete this all in one trip but forgot the piece below I-64. Failboat.

at least it's near you.  for the longest time, I had a gap on I-80 between I-215 (western junction) and I-15 in Utah... it was 750 miles from where I lived then, and ended up being 2000+ miles from where I was living when I clinched it.

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

I don't suppose NT 7/BC 77 counts for this? AB 35, AB-BC 93, AB 14, MB 2, MB 44, ON/MN 61.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Jim

My top route to fit this thread is definitely the Alaska Highway, if it counts.  And that's what I think of as a "natural clinch" - when I've never been on a road at the start of the ride and have clinched the highway when I'm done.  If, not, I can at least claim YT 1. 

In thinking about other possibilities, I expected there to be more, but it seems that I rarely travel significantly long highways from end to end.  I've definitely done US 163 and US 199 (both natural clinches, I believe, and sadly the only US highways I've got clinched at all).  I may have driven I-12, I-17, and the original Louisiana I-49 end to end, but maybe not.  I have done I-88 (eastern).  I think my longest is I-24.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

agentsteel53

I just remembered, I-59 was a natural clinch for me.  all in one sitting, except for one gas station and food break somewhere around Tuscaloosa.

jake@aaroads.com

Rover_0

Just clinched UT-38 last night...longer than I thought.
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.