News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

usends.com : help keep it up-to-date!

Started by usends, April 22, 2013, 11:35:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

usends

A few years ago, usends.com achieved the goal to have at least one photo of every current and historic US route endpoint.  That was an important milestone, but the work is never done: signs get replaced, roads get realigned, junctions get reconfigured, etc.  For example: the other day I drove through Springer NM and observed that, sometime after 2009, references to US 412 were removed from I-25. 

During the past 15 years, over 200 people have made usends.com what it is today, by submitting photos, research, and information.  Many of you are members of this forum: I thank you for your efforts, and ask that you'd continue to monitor endpoints during your travels.  Others of you may never have contributed, so I'll briefly explain how usends.com works:

Today there are 195 US routes, so that means there are 390 current endpoints.  And there are almost another 900 historic endpoints scattered across the US.  Chances are, some of these are close to where you live, or work, or vacation.  You can use this map index to view endpoints in your areas of interest...
http://www.usends.com/mapguy/Status/index_cw.htm
...and then determine whether the signs shown on usends.com are current, and whether the photos are of sufficient quality.  If not, then perhaps you'd be interested in remedying that situation!  Some questions are addressed on usends.com, but feel free to contact me if you have others.  Thanks!
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

xonhulu

I still try to check on the Northwest endpoints whenever I can, but I haven't seen many major changes lately. Still waiting on that US 12 reroute/US 730 extension!

WillWeaverRVA

Not many changes to the Richmond, Virginia-area endpoints unless you want updated pictures of the same thing. :P
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

hbelkins

US 48 in West Virginia is now signed all the way to the access road for the grade-separated intersection with WV 93. Pics are on my Flickr page at http://www.flickr.com/photos/hbelkins/sets/72157632352743603/ and you are, as always, more than welcome to use anything you find on any of my pages.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

I really wish there were one location for the various state route endpoints.  I enjoy seeing state route endpoints, but it's always a headache to try and find a page I only vaguely remember the URL for–especially when it's angelfire.com or something.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

usends

Quote from: kphoger on April 23, 2013, 11:01:57 AM
I really wish there were one location for the various state route endpoints.

I wonder if state-ends.com is still actively maintained?  That has links to various state endpoint pages, but I'm not sure if it's up-to-date.  If not, maybe someone could volunteer to join the admin team for that site, and assume responsibility for that index.

oscar

I really wish there were one location for the various state route endpoints.  I enjoy seeing state route endpoints, but it's always a headache to try and find a page I only vaguely remember the URL for—especially when it's angelfire.com or something.

http://www.state-ends.com/ should be easy enough to remember.  In addition to hosting ends photos for fourteen states, its "Links" button will take you to, among other things, state route ends photos collections for more than a dozen other states (including my own incomplete collections for Alaska and Hawaii).

I suspect Google Maps Street View has dampened the interest in taking, compiling, and updating ends photos of all kinds.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

empirestate

With USGS historical maps now online, it's a lot easier to figure out past routings and changes to endpoints. I sent in a couple updates about Baltimore, but I'm sure there's a lot more yet to learn from this fantastic resource!

hbelkins

Quote from: oscar on April 23, 2013, 11:33:57 AM
I suspect Google Maps Street View has dampened the interest in taking, compiling, and updating ends photos of all kinds.

Street View quality is so poor (and in some instances, sign text is blurred out) that it is no substitute for real live photos.

formulanone

Quote from: hbelkins on April 23, 2013, 12:47:23 PM

Street View quality is so poor (and in some instances, sign text is blurred out) that it is no substitute for real live photos.

No, it's increased my interest, and yes, their quality is just poor enough to make me interested in the former.

www.state-ends.com seems to have a number of link issues, but maybe it's just my internet acting wonky.

- Looking for gribblenation.net instead of ".com", for example.

kphoger

I really wish there were one location for the various state route endpoints.  I enjoy seeing state route endpoints, but it's always a headache to try and find a page I only vaguely remember the URL for—especially when it's angelfire.com or something.

http://www.state-ends.com/ should be easy enough to remember.  In addition to hosting ends photos for fourteen states, its "Links" button will take you to, among other things, state route ends photos collections for more than a dozen other states (including my own incomplete collections for Alaska and Hawaii).

I thought that was a great find, but alas......  Only two of the three states I'm interested in are linked to, and both of them returned errors.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

usends

Quote from: hbelkins on April 23, 2013, 10:38:34 AM
US 48 in West Virginia is now signed all the way to the access road for the grade-separated intersection with WV 93.
Right, so that's the segment that's being extended westward.  I also see the 4-lane is being extended eastward from I-79, and currently that segment is complete to a little ways beyond Elkins.  Google Maps shows US 48 shields along that segment as well (from I-79 to Elkins); does anyone know whether WV has actually started putting up US 48 signs on this western segment?

hbelkins

Quote from: usends on April 24, 2013, 09:25:48 AM
Right, so that's the segment that's being extended westward.  I also see the 4-lane is being extended eastward from I-79, and currently that segment is complete to a little ways beyond Elkins.  Google Maps shows US 48 shields along that segment as well (from I-79 to Elkins); does anyone know whether WV has actually started putting up US 48 signs on this western segment?

Nope. No signage on I-79 as of last month to indicate US 48. Signage is only for US 33 and US 119.

As of December, going east on the parallel routes to Corridor H (US 219, WV 93, WV 42) you will not encounter a US 48 marker until you get to Knobley Road on WV 42. There are no "To US 48" signs at the intersection of WV 42 and WV 93 at Scherr, but US 48 is signed from WV 93. The conditions as they existed in December are depicted in my Flickr set.

luokou

The south end of the Weiser Spur now has a proper END SPUR US-95 shield, albeit about 1000 feet away from the actual end of the route. Looks like all of the SPUR US-95 shields in Oregon have been replaced after a fairly recent repaving project to a more consistent design.

xonhulu

Quote from: luokou on April 24, 2013, 02:20:48 PM
The south end of the Weiser Spur now has a proper END SPUR US-95 shield, albeit about 1000 feet away from the actual end of the route. Looks like all of the SPUR US-95 shields in Oregon have been replaced after a fairly recent repaving project to a more consistent design.

Is this erroneous END sign still posted in Idaho right before the Snake River bridge?

luokou

Quote from: xonhulu on April 24, 2013, 08:18:24 PM
Is this erroneous END sign still posted in Idaho right before the Snake River bridge?

Nope, it's a brand-new assembly with a new shield, without the END plaque. Makes me wonder if ODOT supplied some of the signage on the Idaho side of the bridge, what with the wooden substrate on the wayfinding signs (unless Idaho makes wooden signs on a regular basis too!) http://goo.gl/maps/9PsaL

andy3175

Quote from: xonhulu on April 22, 2013, 10:44:02 PM
I still try to check on the Northwest endpoints whenever I can, but I haven't seen many major changes lately. Still waiting on that US 12 reroute/US 730 extension!

Which reroute of US 730 and US 12 are you referring to?

Thanks,
Andy
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.