News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Is it incorrect to call a toll road a "freeway"?

Started by A.J. Bertin, April 24, 2013, 01:54:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Quote from: Steve on May 02, 2013, 11:18:32 PM
The AA Highway meets the conventional definition of a Super 2, for reference.

If so, then just about all of Kentucky's new construction in the last 35 years meets that definition.

I always thought a Super-2 was a controlled-access (or limited-access, if you prefer) route like the eastern end of the Mountain Parkway, or the Daniel Boone Parkway for most of its length.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

Quote from: J N Winkler on May 15, 2013, 01:58:29 PM
Quote from: theline on May 15, 2013, 01:38:44 PMCan anyone read the blade under the warning sign? My bad eyes make it out as "Temporary." If so, that may help explain.

It does say "TEMPORARY," but then it said that in 2005 too.  I think it is a figleaf to satisfy the FHWA requirement that driveways (or other at-grade accesses to Interstates) be temporary in character; i.e., there must be an intention to stop up the driveway or access at some point in the future, even if that time never arrives.

It said TEMPORARY back when I was in high school as well, since I specifically remember that intersection from a family vacation.  That would have been the mid- to late-1990s.  My dad made the comment clear back then that he doubted it was actually "temporary".  Guess he was right.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Quote from: NE2 on May 15, 2013, 02:19:24 PM
What about the white sign in the median at the intersection?

Not sure.  It's different from the standard "KEEP OFF MEDIAN" sign.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

agentsteel53

Quote from: kphoger on May 15, 2013, 05:22:12 PMIt said TEMPORARY back when I was in high school as well, since I specifically remember that intersection from a family vacation.  That would have been the mid- to late-1990s.  My dad made the comment clear back then that he doubted it was actually "temporary".  Guess he was right.

on a geological scale, all infrastructure is temporary.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

agentsteel53

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 02, 2013, 10:02:37 PMI know there are driveways with ranch gates in many places, like I-8 in Arizona, which are generally not mentioned.

approximately at mile 96.6 on I-8 is this ranch gate, with an implied at-gate crossing.  at least, there is at-grade left-turning traffic.

http://goo.gl/maps/NiIK1

jake@aaroads.com

kphoger

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 01, 2013, 02:56:41 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 02, 2013, 10:02:37 PMI know there are driveways with ranch gates in many places, like I-8 in Arizona, which are generally not mentioned.

approximately at mile 96.6 on I-8 is this ranch gate, with an implied at-gate crossing.  at least, there is at-grade left-turning traffic.

http://goo.gl/maps/NiIK1

Turn the pegman around, and you also see an "implied" U turn spot. :)
Male pronouns, please.

agentsteel53

Quote from: kphoger on July 01, 2013, 04:50:59 PM

Turn the pegman around, and you also see an "implied" U turn spot. :)

did not notice that one!  just where one could make a left turn directly in line with the ranch gate.

jake@aaroads.com

Crazy Volvo Guy

Depends on the toll road.  One with toll gates every few miles on the mainline?  That's not very free of at grade interruptions, now is it?  No, definitely not, so it's not a freeway.

One with a gate at each end and nothing in between, operating on the ticket system, or an all-electronic tollway?  Certainly qualifies as a freeway.

Remember, kids: the 'free' in 'freeway' refers to free as in freedom [from at-grade intersections/interruptions] not free as in beer.
I hate Clearview, because it looks like a cheap Chinese ripoff.

I'm for the Red Sox and whoever's playing against the Yankees.

roadfro

^ Actually the "free" refers to free-flowing traffic, not freedom from interruptions. Except for the toll barriers, a tollway remains free-flowing in normal operating conditions.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.