Is it incorrect to call a toll road a "freeway"?

Started by A.J. Bertin, April 24, 2013, 01:54:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE2

Quote from: cpzilliacus on April 26, 2013, 07:14:09 PM
Though the Whitehurst Freeway (also U.S. 29) is definitely not functionally classed as a freeway.
Eh? http://www.dc.gov/DC/DDOT/About+DDOT/Maps/Functional+Classification+Map (PDF)
It's 'other freeway and expressway'. Functional classification makes no distinction between freeways and expressways.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

AsphaltPlanet

from Google:

free·way 
/ˈfrēˌwā/
Noun
An express highway.
A toll-free highway.
Synonyms
highway - expressway - motorway - speedway

ex·press·way 
/ikˈspresˌwā/
Noun
A highway designed for fast traffic, with controlled entrance and exit, a dividing strip between the traffic in opposite directions, and...
Synonyms
highway - freeway - motorway - speedway

toll·way 
/ˈtōlˌwā/
Noun
A highway for the use of which a charge is made.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Alps

Quote from: cpzilliacus on April 26, 2013, 06:46:28 PM
Quote from: Kacie Jane on April 26, 2013, 11:20:49 AM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 26, 2013, 11:12:27 AM
am I the only one who calls a road an expressway if, and only if, it has no stops on the mainline?  it can have at-grade intersections, but no traffic signals or stop signs. 

As long as I've been around this community, I still have no idea what a non-freeway expressway is.

No driveways or other private access points.

Signalized intersections are allowed.

At-grade unsignalized intersections are allowed.

Grade-separated interchanges are, of course, allowed, but I have seen expressways that had very few grade-separated interchanges - U.S. 29 (Columbia Pike) in Montgomery and Howard Counties, Maryland once had three grade-separated interchanges, with everything else at-grade (about 15 to 20 signalized intersections in a row).

The "original" interchanges were near the southern end of the expressway section of U.S. 29 at Md. 650 (New Hampshire Avenue); and at the northern end - U.S. 40, and I-70 (U.S. 29 ends just north of I-70 at a signalized intersection with Md. 99).

Va. 286 (the Fairfax County Parkway - former Va. 7100) is a good example of an East Coast expressway with long sections of almost-freeway like driving, but then suddenly (signalized and unsignalized) intersections at-grade.
I'd add the NYC Exception - no parking along the mainline, either. Otherwise 9th Avenue would be an expressway.

Rick Powell

Not necessarily true in IL and some other states.  There are several Illinois expressways, past and present, that have farm field entrances and private entrances, usually but not always with a median opening and sometimes left and/or right turn lanes for access.  This is usually to accommodate existing property access, and no new entrances are allowed.  In some cases, the private access does not have a median opening and the driver will need to make a right turn out of the drive and go to the next median opening to make a U-turn if they want to go in the opposite direction.

mgk920

Quote from: Rick Powell on April 27, 2013, 10:18:55 AM

Not necessarily true in IL and some other states.  There are several Illinois expressways, past and present, that have farm field entrances and private entrances, usually but not always with a median opening and sometimes left and/or right turn lanes for access.  This is usually to accommodate existing property access, and no new entrances are allowed.  In some cases, the private access does not have a median opening and the driver will need to make a right turn out of the drive and go to the next median opening to make a U-turn if they want to go in the opposite direction.

Ditto Wisconsin.

Mike

Alps

Quote from: Rick Powell on April 27, 2013, 10:18:55 AM

I feel like Midwestern farm entrances are always ignored in definitions. I've encountered traffic making a left turn onto I-40 from a Texas ranch driveway in the early morning.

Kacie Jane

Alps

Quote from: Kacie Jane on April 28, 2013, 12:08:09 AM
Quote from: Steve on April 27, 2013, 09:59:17 PM...like Midwestern farm entrances...

Quote from: Steve on April 27, 2013, 09:59:17 PM
...a Texas ranch driveway...

Sorry, this amused me.
I've never grown up with Mid-South as a term. It now occurs to me as where Texas is, but Midwest is equally valid. In my mind, Midwest = that flat place with a bunch of farms.

Brandon

Quote from: Steve on April 28, 2013, 03:56:39 PM
Quote from: Kacie Jane on April 28, 2013, 12:08:09 AM
Quote from: Steve on April 27, 2013, 09:59:17 PM...like Midwestern farm entrances...

Quote from: Steve on April 27, 2013, 09:59:17 PM
...a Texas ranch driveway...

Sorry, this amused me.
I've never grown up with Mid-South as a term. It now occurs to me as where Texas is, but Midwest is equally valid. In my mind, Midwest = that flat place with a bunch of farms.

"Midwest", to us here in Illinois (and Wisconsin, Michigan, Iowa, etc) goes as far south as Kansas and Missouri, but not Texas or Oklahoma.  It's more than geography.  It's mannerisms and accents.  Texas is distinctly its own place, and Oklahoma is more South than Midwest to us.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Anthony_JK

Quote from: NE2 on April 26, 2013, 08:23:08 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on April 26, 2013, 07:14:09 PM
Though the Whitehurst Freeway (also U.S. 29) is definitely not functionally classed as a freeway.
Eh? http://www.dc.gov/DC/DDOT/About+DDOT/Maps/Functional+Classification+Map (PDF)
It's 'other freeway and expressway'. Functional classification makes no distinction between freeways and expressways.

Really?? I thought that the functional definition of "expressway" allowed for at-grade intersections; while "freeway"/"tollway" directly imply full control of access, with only interchanges and grade seperations.

NE2

Quote from: Anthony_JK on April 28, 2013, 06:08:57 PM
Really?? I thought that the functional definition of "expressway" allowed for at-grade intersections; while "freeway"/"tollway" directly imply full control of access, with only interchanges and grade seperations.
Functional classification is a specific way of classifying roads that replaced the federal-aid systems in 1991: http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/mapsdata/travel/hpms/functionalclass.htm
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Duke87

"Freeway" describes a type of design rather than a lack of payment at point of use, so no, it is not incorrect to classify a toll road as a "freeway". That said, when speaking I would probably refer to such a road as a "toll road" or "turnpike" since it's less confusion-inducing.

Point is, it's not a different type of road just because it's tolled. If you ask "how many freeway miles are in such and such area", toll road mileage would be included in the answer.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on April 26, 2013, 08:33:07 PM
from Google:

free·way 
/ˈfrēˌwā/
Noun
An express highway.
A toll-free highway.
Synonyms
highway - expressway - motorway - speedway

ex·press·way 
/ikˈspresˌwā/
Noun
A highway designed for fast traffic, with controlled entrance and exit, a dividing strip between the traffic in opposite directions, and...
Synonyms
highway - freeway - motorway - speedway

toll·way 
/ˈtōlˌwā/
Noun
A highway for the use of which a charge is made.

I see 2 of the 3 definitions quoted above are incorrect.

And I would argue the 3rd definition is grammatically incorrect.

Roadsguy

Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

empirestate

Well, there are many people who do use "freeway" to refer to a free facility as distinct from a toll road. So while they themselves may arguably be incorrect in their usage, it is quite correct for a dictionary to report on that usage and include that definition. Dictionaries describe words as they are used, not as they should be used.

At the same time, of course–yes, the online dictionaries that appear from a search aren't often the best-written.

AsphaltPlanet

Ok, from Websters Dictionary:

free·way
noun \ˈfrē-ˌwā\
Definition of FREEWAY
: an expressway with fully controlled access
: a highway without toll fees

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/freeway

Expressway:

Definition of EXPRESSWAY
: a high-speed divided highway for through traffic with access partially or fully controlled

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/expressway?show=0&t=1367247456

toll·way
noun \-ˌwā\
Definition of TOLLWAY
: turnpike 2a(1)

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/tollway
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

A.J. Bertin

I was just about to post Webster's definitions of the terms freeway and expressway, but AsphaltPlanet beat me to it. :spin: Thanks for posting those!

I have to say that the second definition of freeway seems to be too broad. The term highway generally incorporates all road-design types: freeways, expressways, and 2-lane roads, and usually implies long distance. According to Webster, though, a highway is "a public way; especially, a main direct road." That also seems to be too broad because it doesn't imply travel between cities/towns of any significant distance.

Personally, I like the idea of the term expressway having two definitions: 1) an urban freeway (as they often say out East), and 2) a partially-controlled, high-speed road that may have occasional at-grade intersections. I also had a thought though... all the named freeways in Chicago are referred to as "expressways": Kennedy Expressway, Stevenson Expressway, Eisenhower Expressway, Dan Ryan Expressway, and so on. (It's not just an Eastern U.S. thing.) Two types of expressways definitely exist.

We've definitely veered off from the original topic, but this is good discussion.
-A.J. from Michigan

empirestate

As to urban vs. rural highways, particularly in the East, don't forget that an early term for rural, intercity facilities was "superhighway". By happenstance, the term was usually applied to toll roads, but not exclusively so. It was common during the turnpike/Thruway boom, but hung around long enough to apply to free roads like the Adirondack Northway (I-87).

myosh_tino

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on April 26, 2013, 10:14:08 AM
Regional differences in terminology are quite interesting. If the Eastern U.S. calls their freeways "expressways", that's cool I s'pose, since it sounds like actual expressways are pretty rare there and because that's what they are used to saying. In the Midwest, however, where expressways and freeways are two separate and distinct highway types, we need to have two separate words to describe them.

On the other hand, someone made a distinction of rural vs. urban, where:

Rural limited-access highways = "freeways"
Urban limited-access highways = "expressways"
This is not the case in California.

All controlled-access highways are considered freeways.  Expressways are, for the most part, limited access but can have at-grade intersections.  A good illustration of the difference between the two road types can be found in Santa Clara County.  The county has a network of high-speed roads with speed limits of 45-50 MPH that have interchanges, at-grade signalized intersections and the occasional private driveway.  All of these roads are called expressways (Lawrence Expressway, Capitol Expressway, Montague Expressway, etc) and are maintained by the county but patrolled by the California Highway Patrol.  For the most part, all county expressways are assigned a county route number and signed with the yellow-on-blue shields.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: myosh_tino on April 30, 2013, 04:03:44 AM
Quote from: A.J. Bertin on April 26, 2013, 10:14:08 AM
Regional differences in terminology are quite interesting. If the Eastern U.S. calls their freeways "expressways", that's cool I s'pose, since it sounds like actual expressways are pretty rare there and because that's what they are used to saying. In the Midwest, however, where expressways and freeways are two separate and distinct highway types, we need to have two separate words to describe them.

On the other hand, someone made a distinction of rural vs. urban, where:

Rural limited-access highways = "freeways"
Urban limited-access highways = "expressways"
This is not the case in California.

All controlled-access highways are considered freeways.  Expressways are, for the most part, limited access but can have at-grade intersections.  A good illustration of the difference between the two road types can be found in Santa Clara County.  The county has a network of high-speed roads with speed limits of 45-50 MPH that have interchanges, at-grade signalized intersections and the occasional private driveway.  All of these roads are called expressways (Lawrence Expressway, Capitol Expressway, Montague Expressway, etc) and are maintained by the county but patrolled by the California Highway Patrol.  For the most part, all county expressways are assigned a county route number and signed with the yellow-on-blue shields.

Yep... this is a perfect example of the second type of expressway that I described above: "a partially-controlled, high-speed road that may have occasional at-grade intersections."
-A.J. from Michigan

realjd

myosh_tino

Quote from: realjd on May 01, 2013, 09:12:44 PM
No love for "turnpike"?
When I was little, I thought all toll roads were called Turnpikes and everything else was a Freeway.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

kphoger

My working definitions:

Freeway:  Fully controlled access, divided highway, in urban settings; or almost fully controlled access in rural settings (those cross roads in West Texas don't make me stop calling the highway a freeway).

Expressway:  Only used in urban settings.  Urban freeways could be called expressways, but so could four-lane arterials that are designed to carry higher-than-usual speed limits by means of fewer intersections.

I have no idea what to call two-lane highways that are fully or mostly access-controlled.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

vdeane

We usually use super-2.  I think super-4 refers to a four lane, undivided freeway.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kphoger

Quote from: vdeane on May 02, 2013, 03:29:58 PM
We usually use super-2.  I think super-4 refers to a four lane, undivided freeway.

Except I've been on highways called "super-2" that had driveways and crossroads.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.