"No Outlet" vs. "Dead End" signs

Started by A.J. Bertin, May 14, 2013, 09:55:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A.J. Bertin

In Michigan, we seem to have a lot of "No Outlet" signs where there's a side street that turns into a subdivision and the motorist can know that there's no other way to leave that neighborhood. Those signs bother me for some reason. I wish they would say "No Other Outlet" instead (because, of course, the entrance a driver takes into a neighborhood will also serve as the outlet). "No Outlet" to me implies that, once you get in, there's no way out ... EVER.  :-D

But I digress from my point. There are places where I've seen the "No Outlet" sign used where it seems like a "Dead End" or "Dead End Street" sign would be more fitting. "No Outlet" seems more appropriate for a little subdivision where there are multiple streets, cul-de-sacs, etc. that branch off of the main street. It seems like "Dead End" signs would be better for just a single street that leads to nowhere.

Any thoughts?
-A.J. from Michigan

DaBigE

"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

texaskdog

North Lamar ends at Howard Lane and I-35 in Austin, and you can't actually get to either road heading north, the only way out is back onto the 35 frontage road, unless you cut through the high school.  They put a sign at the high school entrance saying "no thru traffic" which would imply it is physically impossible, not illegal.  But it is physically possible, I do it every week.

M3019C LPS20

You are right. It seems that both signs are used interchangeably practically everywhere. In any case, they should be used accordingly more often. Also, what I find rather interesting, yet surprising at the same time is that some people fail to distinguish between "NO OUTLET" and "DEAD END."

"NO OUTLET" simply means there is only one way in and only one way out. Such a sign should be posted on a dead end street that has one or more dead end streets connected to it. Additional signage on the other dead end streets is rather unnecessary in my opinion, since the message itself should be clear altogether. In New York City, I have noticed that many streets labeled as "NO OUTLET" have side streets with "DEAD END" signs posted, and I find that, as I mentioned before, unnecessary.

"DEAD END" is simple, not to mention self-explanatory. Only one street that comes to an end.

empirestate

Quote from: M3019C LPS20 on May 14, 2013, 11:02:17 AM
"NO OUTLET" simply means there is only one way in and only one way out.

In other words, there are as many outlets as the sign says there are, plus one. By that logic, a "ONE WAY" sign should actually say "NO WAY". :-D

DSS5

In NC, at least in Winston-Salem, they are always used consistently. "No Outlet" is for subdivisions where there's no way out except that road, whereas "Dead End" means that particular road will end.

US81

Quote from: texaskdog on May 14, 2013, 10:26:17 AM
North Lamar ends at Howard Lane and I-35 in Austin, and you can't actually get to either road heading north, the only way out is back onto the 35 frontage road, unless you cut through the high school.  They put a sign at the high school entrance saying "no thru traffic" which would imply it is physically impossible, not illegal.  But it is physically possible, I do it every week.

I have usually assumed that "No Thru Traffic" meant it is physically possible but not allowed. (Otherwise, why is it posted?) In fact, I am often tempted to explore roads that have "no thru traffic" signage just to disprove it.

[And it really vexes me when that high school closes that one gate on the exit out to Howard Lane, like they do once or twice a year.]

DSS5

Quote from: texaskdog on May 14, 2013, 10:26:17 AM
They put a sign at the high school entrance saying "no thru traffic" which would imply it is physically impossible, not illegal.  But it is physically possible, I do it every week.

That reminds me of several signs near the new Watauga High School in Boone that say "No Access to High School." Not true in all cases (although a couple roads did become dead ends to make way for the building) but obviously the residents of the neighborhoods surrounding the school don't want a bunch of teen drivers streaming down their street every morning and afternoon.

US81

I remember another usage in my rural hometown many years ago. "No Outlet" truly meant no way out except on the same road on which you were driving into the area. "Dead End" was used for several roads where the paved, maintained areas ended but there were commonly used dirt use-at-your-own-risk wheel-trails which usually went thru to other paved roads, maybe fording a creek along the way. These areas I remember from childhood do not appear to exist any more, having been paved over or totally blocked by some sort of development.

KEK Inc.

At least California is slowly getting rid of their wordy, "NOT A THROUGH STREET" sign, which sort of encompasses both, though California only really used it for "DEAD END". 

DEAD END implies that the road you're on ends soon.  NO OUTLET is more for a network of roads (including the road you're on), which ends and doesn't go out to another road.
Take the road less traveled.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.