why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

Illinois interesting bid annoucements

Started by Revive 755, June 05, 2013, 10:38:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Max Rockatansky

I don't see Wisconsin getting flat highway trophies, obviously it's because they are inferior.  :rolleyes:

kphoger

Quote from: SSOWorld on March 31, 2022, 01:54:38 PM

Route 1 is mostly but not completely flat, but most of its hills are unexceptional.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

SkyPesos

Quote from: JoePCool14 on March 31, 2022, 12:55:47 PM
Not so fast. Here's a photo I took in Illinois. Doesn't look flat to me.

Checkmate.
Looks flat to me.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: SkyPesos on March 31, 2022, 03:38:42 PM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on March 31, 2022, 12:55:47 PM
Not so fast. Here's a photo I took in Illinois. Doesn't look flat to me.

Checkmate.
Looks flat to me.

You're only saying that because you are from Indiana.  That's almost as bad as being from Wisconsin.  I bet you aspire to be an Entenmann's delivery driver.

SkyPesos

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: SkyPesos on March 31, 2022, 06:28:43 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 31, 2022, 03:40:23 PM
You're only saying that because you are from Indiana.
Wrong state but ok

If you from ain't Illinois then you're the enemy.  Haven't you figured out how it works from Crash yet?

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 31, 2022, 06:39:43 PM
Wrong state but ok

If you from ain't Illinois then you're the enemy.  Haven't you figured out how it works from Crash yet?

Deniers are either from Wisconsin, or Entenmann's truck drivers with an axe to grind.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

JoePCool14

Wrong state but ok

I am from Illinois and I'm pretty sure I'm still the enemy.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on April 01, 2022, 02:19:58 AM
Wrong state but ok

Deniers are either from Wisconsin, or Entenmann's truck drivers with an axe to grind.

Three years is a long time to wait for vengeance. 

paulthemapguy

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 01, 2022, 09:21:35 AM

I think you just found the tagline for the action flick written about his life.

COMING THIS FRIDAY...
THREE YEARS IS A LONG TIME TO WAIT FOR VENGEANCE
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 384/425. Only 41 route markers remain!

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: paulthemapguy on April 01, 2022, 09:32:01 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 01, 2022, 09:21:35 AM

I think you just found the tagline for the action flick written about his life.

COMING THIS FRIDAY...

In a state where everything is flat, one man stands alone against the onslaught of Wisconsinites and Entenmann's drivers...

"The dash cam makes everything look further away than it is..."

ILLINOIS IS FLAT

Coming to movie theaters only May 6th, 2022.

Crash_It

Quote from: hobsini2 on March 31, 2022, 11:05:23 AM
Crash is still trying to say that IDOT is somehow superior in their "Construction tactics", "Transportation tactics" and "rehabbing surfaces"? This old tripe needs to go.
For every deficiency Crash comes up with in Wisconsin, I can come up with one in Illinois. It's not that difficult.

For example, IMHO, Wisconsin does a much better job of signing state highway to state highway junctions for the general public. I don't have to guess what direction a road is heading.

I've never been confused at any junction in IL.

Crash_It

Quote from: kphoger on March 31, 2022, 12:11:02 PM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on March 28, 2022, 09:26:00 AM
I enjoy my time driving in Wisconsin significantly more than in Illinois ... less signal slap-happy than Illinois ...

Quote from: Crash_It on March 28, 2022, 07:51:01 PM
The signal lights are timed better in Illinois than Wisconsin.

I'll take fewer stoplights over better-timed stoplights any day.  And Illinois is definitely signal slap-happy.

WIS32 and WIS31 are both STOPSTOPSTOPSTOP

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Crash_It on April 02, 2022, 11:38:51 PM
Quote from: hobsini2 on March 31, 2022, 11:05:23 AM
Crash is still trying to say that IDOT is somehow superior in their "Construction tactics", "Transportation tactics" and "rehabbing surfaces"? This old tripe needs to go.
For every deficiency Crash comes up with in Wisconsin, I can come up with one in Illinois. It's not that difficult.

For example, IMHO, Wisconsin does a much better job of signing state highway to state highway junctions for the general public. I don't have to guess what direction a road is heading.

I've never been confused at any junction in IL.

How can you be confused with all that featureless flatness?  You can see Entenmann's delivery trucks coming from miles away. 

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Crash_It on April 02, 2022, 11:41:18 PM

You do realize these are urban surface arterials, right? I don't expect to drive on those kinds of roads without having a few red lights. I mean, just by the frequency of lights, Chicago is STOPSTOPSTOPSTOP too. The freeways in Chicago are also STOPSTOPSTOPSTOP, which is even more aggravating. Milwaukee at least spends money to improve theirs in ways that makes theirs suck less than Chicago's.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on April 03, 2022, 03:59:04 PM

You do realize these are urban surface arterials, right? I don't expect to drive on those kinds of roads without having a few red lights. I mean, just by the frequency of lights, Chicago is STOPSTOPSTOPSTOP too. The freeways in Chicago are also STOPSTOPSTOPSTOP, which is even more aggravating. Milwaukee at least spends money to improve theirs in ways that makes theirs suck less than Chicago's.

To add to that, I've found Chicago's freeway network to have the worst traffic jams in the country.  When I lived in downtown I found it easier to use surface streets (stop lights included) to get anywhere in the city the majority of daylight hours.  Everyone pretty much dog piles onto the antiquated and overburdened free expressways.

edwaleni

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 03, 2022, 04:23:54 PM

To add to that, I've found Chicago's freeway network to have the worst traffic jams in the country.  When I lived in downtown I found it easier to use surface streets (stop lights included) to get anywhere in the city the majority of daylight hours.  Everyone pretty much dog piles onto the antiquated and overburdened free expressways.

I found the opposite in Atlanta. Why? Because there wasn't an easy grid style local street system to get around the mess on the expressways.

In fact in my last Atlanta backup, it came to a complete halt and everyone got out of their cars and started talking to each other.

As for Chicago? Yes, I can't tell you how many times I would get off at Western and use Roosevelt instead of the Ike. It got so bad for awhile I was on a first name basis with Jennifer Keiper @ WBBM Traffic.

She went to Fox News Radio for awhile and is now a staff reporter for CBS News.

Crash_It

Says the person from a state that also has traffic backups in it's major cities as well (experienced that first hand last summer).  Milwaukee has traffic backup as well too and that's also with 41/894 in bad condition. Guess you haven't seen the progress of the Jane Byrne interchange. When it's completed this fall, it'll relieve most of if not all of the congestion.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: Crash_It on April 03, 2022, 08:32:44 PM

Says the person from a state that also has traffic backups in it's major cities as well (experienced that first hand last summer).  Milwaukee has traffic backup as well too and that's also with 41/894 in bad condition. Guess you haven't seen the progress of the Jane Byrne interchange. When it's completed this fall, it'll relieve most of if not all of the congestion.

I have travelled during rush hour in both cities pretty extensively.  Milwaukee's are mild and a short length of time.  Chicago's are awful.  LA was worse however.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: SEWIGuy on April 03, 2022, 08:56:05 PM

I have travelled during rush hour in both cities pretty extensively.  Milwaukee's are mild and a short length of time.  Chicago's are awful.  LA was worse however.

The problem Los Angeles has over longer developed cities like Chicago is distance of travel.  In Chicago even places like O'Hate aren't exactly "far"  by West Coast city standards to downtown.  I-405 as example is 72 miles long, it can be a really long haul to get anywhere even if the traffic is just the "slow down"  variety.  FWIW I feel as though the San Francisco Bay Area is a closer analog to Chicagoland.  The Bay Area is compact and doesn't have a ton of options for limited access roadways much like Chicago.  Surface road travel over San Francisco Bay just isn't a thing.

JoePCool14

Guess you haven't seen the progress of the Jane Byrne interchange. When it's completed this fall, it'll relieve most of if not all of the congestion.

What do we all get if you're wrong?

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: JoePCool14 on April 04, 2022, 02:19:31 PM
Guess you haven't seen the progress of the Jane Byrne interchange. When it's completed this fall, it'll relieve most of if not all of the congestion.

What do we all get if you're wrong?

A box of Entenmann's from the display case at the end of the aisle.

Brandon

Like hell it will.  The Circle has sucked, sucked, and will suck even with the rebuild.  Funny that you call I-894 in bad condition when I saw multiple vehicles with flat tires due to potholes on the shoulder of I-55 between Weber and US-30 Friday evening.  I-894 is damn smooth compared to that POS.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

kphoger

Quote from: Brandon on April 04, 2022, 07:36:24 PM
I saw multiple vehicles with flat tires due to potholes on the shoulder of I-55 between Weber and US-30 Friday evening.

Those flats were actually due to overinflation.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.