News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Curent Construction projects in Orlando area?

Started by Brian556, June 24, 2013, 06:15:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian556

I plan to visit Central Florida in early July, and I was wondering where there is currently road construction. I know about US 27/SR 50 interchange, and the John Young Pkwy extension. What other projects are in progress? Is the railroad track improvement project in Lake Co underway yet?

NE2

http://www.cflroads.com/
http://www.ocfl.net/TrafficTransportation/RoadwayProjects.aspx (monthly status report at left)
http://www.seminolecountyfl.gov/pw/locateproject.aspx

Bigger projects include the first piece of the Wekiva Parkway (CR 435 to SR 46). Otherwise it's mostly just widening.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

realjd

Since you mentioned railroad, SunRail is under construction. I can't think of any other interesting road work.

Have they finished work on the 417/408 interchange rebuild?

DeaconG

Quote from: realjd on June 25, 2013, 09:13:55 AM
Since you mentioned railroad, SunRail is under construction. I can't think of any other interesting road work.

Have they finished work on the 417/408 interchange rebuild?

Finished in March, though they've still got a couple of movements planned.

https://www.oocea.com/TravelersExpressways/Expressways/CurrentExpressways/408EastWestExpressway/ConstructionProjects/tabid/348/Article/209/completed-project-sr-408sr-417-north-interchange-improvements-project.aspx

Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

roadman65

Sometime in the near future US 17 & 92 at SR 436, that intersection will be replaced with an SPUI.  That is why Club Juana and many of the other businesses closed near that intersection, because FDOT bought the land for the project.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Alex

The Orange County Property Appraiser webmap shows several projected new roadways. Some of them are:

A new interchange between FL-528 (Beachline Expwy) at an extension of Innovation Way (which they show as CR 434).
An extension of Clarcona-Ocoee Road to meet Kennedy Boulevard/Forest City Road
An extension of President Barack Obama Parkway northward to North Pine Hill Roads at Old Winter Garden Road

Not on the webmap is the extension of ramps from the FL-451 (Western Beltway) end at U.S. 441 to Vick Road, which was just about complete two weeks ago.

NE2

Construction has not started on any of those AFAIK.

Construction is almost done on the Clarcoee realignment west of Clarcona, and the new bridge over I-4 at mile 70 (Fenton Street).

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

roadman65

Also to add FL 436 and Red Bug is finally getting that flyover that was being talked about for decades.

Sheryl Crowe

FLRoads

Though its not a major project, as roadman65 mentioned, construction is taking place at that intersection to improve traffic flow for vehicles connecting with Red Bug Lake Road east from Florida 436 east. Construction began in October 2011 with a scheduled completion of November 2013, though other sources, including Seminole County's Public Works website indicate a Spring 2014 completion.

I was in the area yesterday and took some photos of the project:

Eastbound along Florida 436 at Kewannee Trail, just northwest of the flyover. Traffic bound for Red Bug Lake Road is separated from mainline Florida 436 at this point and will include a separate mast arm assembly at the intersection.

A look at a portion of the flyover from near the intersection point between Winter Park Drive with the Red Bug/Florida 436 merge. Access will remain unchanged once construction is complete. Traffic from Winter Park Drive will still empty onto Red Bug Lake Road east and Florida 436 east and west.

Approaching the intersection with FL 436 and Winter Park Drive from Red Bug Lake Road west. Sign bridges are being erected to alert motorists of the upcoming merge with FL 436 west and east.

Coming up to the intersection from Florida 436 west. Florida 436 will carry eight lanes of traffic through this improved intersection.

roadman65

About several miles to the south, the OOCEA is about to widen the Airport Toll Plaza on FL 528.  The parallel McCoy Road has a new alignment that was constructed a long side the toll plaza with a OOCEA type of fence between the new road and the existing one.  I just saw it a few moments ago, but not open but paved.  Give a few days and it will most likely be moved over.
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Lake+Nona,+Orlando,+FL&hl=en&ll=28.452458,-81.319535&spn=0.004028,0.006899&sll=28.481169,-81.36875&sspn=0.257712,0.441513&oq=lake+no&t=h&hnear=Lake+Nona,+Orlando,+Orange,+Florida&z=17

Sheryl Crowe

realjd

Quote from: roadman65 on July 14, 2013, 08:23:35 PM
About several miles to the south, the OOCEA is about to widen the Airport Toll Plaza on FL 528.  The parallel McCoy Road has a new alignment that was constructed a long side the toll plaza with a OOCEA type of fence between the new road and the existing one.  I just saw it a few moments ago, but not open but paved.  Give a few days and it will most likely be moved over.
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Lake+Nona,+Orlando,+FL&hl=en&ll=28.452458,-81.319535&spn=0.004028,0.006899&sll=28.481169,-81.36875&sspn=0.257712,0.441513&oq=lake+no&t=h&hnear=Lake+Nona,+Orlando,+Orange,+Florida&z=17

It's about time. That's the last non open road toll booth that OOCEA operates, right?

DeaconG

Quote from: realjd on July 15, 2013, 06:00:01 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on July 14, 2013, 08:23:35 PM

It's about time. That's the last non open road toll booth that OOCEA operates, right?

Not exactly, there's one on the south end of the 417 by Celebration; but the one on the Beachline is one hell of a bottleneck.
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"

NE2

DeaconG

Quote from: NE2 on July 15, 2013, 09:52:11 PM
That's the last non open road toll booth that OOCEA operates, right?

Whoops, I stand corrected; just checked the OOCEA expressway map.

realjd

Quote from: DeaconG on July 15, 2013, 10:10:33 PM
Quote from: NE2 on July 15, 2013, 09:52:11 PM
That's the last non open road toll booth that OOCEA operates, right?

Whoops, I stand corrected; just checked the OOCEA expressway map.

Yep, that's a FTE booth. And it doesn't bother me as much since traffic is rarely bad there.

It's been awhile since I've been north of University on the 417. Are the FTE booths on the Seminole Expressay open road? I've also never been on the state portion of the 429 but since its new I'm assuming it's also open road.

FLRoads

It's been awhile since I've been north of University on the 417. Are the FTE booths on the Seminole Expressay open road? I've also never been on the state portion of the 429 but since its new I'm assuming it's also open road.
All of the 429 is open road tolling. Its been several years since I have been on that portion of the 417 but in looking at the satellite image from Google Maps, it shows it to be open road at the Lake Jesup toll plaza.

roadman65

I think that all of SR 429 is open road, but FL 417 at Celebration and FL 528 at the Airport Plaza is still not.

Also, here is a list of some of the other projects that are underway in the Metro Orlando area. http://cflroads.com/County/Orange/Current

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Currently three bridges on FL 528 are being redecked!  Via Flora, Daetwyler Drive, and Tradeport have FL 528 narrowed down to four lanes and the center gutted!  Plus the ramp from FL 482 and Boggy Creek is closed (Jetport Drive is detour) and from Conway/ Tradeport to WB FL 528 the ramp is closed using McCoy Road to SR 482 ramp as detour.  More information at the link below.

https://www.oocea.com/TravelersExpressways/Expressways/CurrentExpressways/528BeachLine/ConstructionProjects/tabid/367/Article/269/sr-528-bridge-deck-improvements-project.aspx

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.