News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Interstate 2

Started by Strider, July 18, 2013, 11:38:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobby5280

I would consider TX DOT's practice of putting 2 digit markers on 3 digit shields on Interstate highway overhead signs a pretty widespread thing. I've seen it in Amarillo, Lubbock, El Paso, Wichita Falls, Houston, Dallas-Fort Worth, along a lot of I-35, I-20 and I-45. I think it's more rare to see a 2 digit marker on a 2 digit shield -again for overhead signs.

Another odd one, TX DOT likes to put 3 digit markers on 2 digit shields along some Interstate highways. There's examples of it on I-635 in Dallas and I-610 in Houston. TX DOT just wants to be oddly different.

OCGuy81

Never noticed the 3di on a 2di. I'll have to look for that when I'm in Dallas in February.

I always thought the 3di thing was just another example of everything being bigger in Texas. :-)

Alps

Quote from: OCGuy81 on December 23, 2014, 04:50:37 PM
Those 69E shields seem awfully cluttered, like the characters are squeezed in there.

Meanwhile, I-2 has a nice 3-di sized shield all to itself!

Sorry if this is too OT, but is the TxDot norm the use of 3-di shields for 2-di routes?
Anyone else notice that US 83 is directionless?

bugo

Quote from: Alps on December 23, 2014, 10:30:52 PM
Quote from: OCGuy81 on December 23, 2014, 04:50:37 PM
Those 69E shields seem awfully cluttered, like the characters are squeezed in there.

Meanwhile, I-2 has a nice 3-di sized shield all to itself!

Sorry if this is too OT, but is the TxDot norm the use of 3-di shields for 2-di routes?
Anyone else notice that US 83 is directionless?

This sign insinuates that it is E-W:

lordsutch

US 83 is/was consistently signed East/West along the freeway; I can't recall offhand where it finally gets signed north/south (only drove 83 once to the Valley; going via Hebbronville is faster despite the CBP checks).

NE2

Looks like the directions were erroneously placed above the Interstate shields rather than above all shields. US 83 is signed north-south on I-69E and east-west on I-2. It changes back to north-south at the Hidalgo-Starr County line (west Sullivan City limits). So there are only about 10 miles of independent east-west US 83 remaining.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Bobby5280

QuoteNever noticed the 3di on a 2di. I'll have to look for that when I'm in Dallas in February.

You can check out examples of it on Street View in Google Earth/Maps.

One notable example with I-635 on 2 digit shields: overhead signs along US-75 (North Central Expressway) leading into the Dallas High Five interchange. You can see the same thing in at least one or two places where I-30 approaches I-635. The interchange at I-35E had some similar occurrences, but as the interchange has been going through its re-build new I-635 overhead signs have featured 3-digit shields.

I-820 in Fort Worth has similar examples. Both interchanges where I-20 and I-820 meet in Fort Worth have side by side examples of I-20 on 3 digit shields and I-820 on 2-digit shields.

I-610 in Houston has lots of 2 digit shields on overhead signs there. It's rare to see I-610 on a 3-digit shield there other than ground mounted signs.

San Antonio is one city that bucks Texas' odd treatment of 2-digit and 3-digit Interstate routes on overhead signs. Most overhead signs there have I-35, I-37 and I-10 on 2-digit shields while I-410 is only on 3-digit shields.

bugo

Texas High Five interchange, southbound:

erik_ram2005

Interstate Shields are up along I-2 in south Texas. no sign of exit numbering yet.

NE2

Is there explicit signage of the west end of I-2?

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

cjk374

Those are good looking shields.  I just knew they were gonna be 3di shields like on the BGSs.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

NE2

Quote from: cjk374 on January 13, 2015, 08:24:01 PM
Those are good looking shields.  I just knew they were gonna be 3di shields like on the BGSs.
what

Brian556

The number two is too close to the word TEXAS.

Don't Mess With Texas.

If a number two was close to the word OKLAHOMA, that would be ok because....well....

NE2

Quote from: Brian556 on January 14, 2015, 12:44:26 AM
If a number two was close to the word OKLAHOMA, that would be ok because....well....

bugo

Don't Mess With Texas.

Why does the wind blow in Oklahoma? Because Texas sucks.

texaskdog

Quote from: bugo on January 14, 2015, 01:45:06 AM

Don't Mess With Texas.

Why does the wind blow in Oklahoma? Because Texas sucks.

If it weren't for that football team that used to be good no one would ever think of Oklahoma.

Bobby5280

QuoteThose are good looking shields.  I just knew they were gonna be 3di shields like on the BGSs.

Texas DOT usually confines its odd-ball, backwards treatment of 2-digit and 3-digit Interstate shields to big green overhead signs. Ground mounted markers are usually proper in the basic sense: 2-digit routes on 2-digit markers and 3-digit routes on 3-digit markers. That doesn't take into account the horrible spacing issues that result from over-sized numerals on neutered shields. Now, I'm not 100% certain on this, but I could have sworn I've seen some I-610 ground mounted markers in Houston using 2-digit shields. There's definitely a bunch of them on overhead signs.

erik_ram2005

Quote from: NE2 on January 13, 2015, 08:00:02 PM

I'm not sure, I haven't been out to the west end of I-2 yet, but I should be able to confirm this within the next week as I will have some errands to run in that direction.

texaskdog

Quote from: erik_ram2005 on January 14, 2015, 08:33:48 PM

I'm not sure, I haven't been out to the west end of I-2 yet, but I should be able to confirm this within the next week as I will have some errands to run in that direction.

Or does it just go right into Mexico?

oscar

Quote from: texaskdog on January 15, 2015, 10:30:25 AM
Quote from: erik_ram2005 on January 14, 2015, 08:33:48 PM

Or does it just go right into Mexico?

I thought the AASHTO approval for I-2 made it clear that the route, for now, ends where the freeway ends, near where Business US 83 peels away from US 83 east of La Joya,  That is fairly close to the border, but AFAIK there are no bridge or ferry crossings of the Rio Grande in that area.

There was no I-2 signage ("begin", "end", or otherwise) at or near freeway's end or the Bus 83 junction, when I drove there last year.  But then I-2 signage was sparse along the entire route.  Maybe that has changed, and is worth checking out.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

bugo

Are there that many end signs in Texas? The only two that I'm aware of are at the I-30/US 75/I-45/I-345 interchange.

OCGuy81

Really nice seeing the state name on those new shields.  Love to see that become a national trend again, and not just California (or as we're seeing now, Texas)

bassoon1986

I've seen "END" on some dead end FM routes but I can't recall any on US highways. Does 27, 37, 44, or the south end of 45 have anything?

wxfree

End signs are not common.  Other than the ones mentioned in Dallas, the only one I recall is for US 285.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

texaskdog

Quote from: OCGuy81 on January 15, 2015, 03:45:49 PM
Really nice seeing the state name on those new shields.  Love to see that become a national trend again, and not just California (or as we're seeing now, Texas)

It seems redundant but when you're on a long trip sometimes it's a nice reminder

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.