About the District of Columbia
- Population (2013 estimate): 646,449
- Nickname: D.C.
- Official Flower: American Beauty Rose
- Official Bird: Wood Thrush
- Official Tree: Scarlet Oak
- Total Interstate Mileage: 12.27
- Land Area: 61.05 square miles
- Highest Point: Reno Hill, 409 feet
- Lowest Point: Anacostia and Potomac Rivers, sea level
- Founded: July 16, 1790
Major League Sports Franchises
- D.C. United (MLS)
- Washington Capitals (NHL)
- Washington Nationals (MLB)
- Washington Redskins (NFL) – moved to Landover, Maryland in 1997.
- Washington Wizards (NBA)
- Washington Caps (ABA), the Oakland Oaks relocated to Washington and became the Caps in 1969. Playing just one season the franchise moved south to become the Virginia Squires due to territorial rights with the Baltimore Bullets.
- Washington Nationals / Senators (MLB), the American League Washington Nationals, renamed officially to the Senators in 1955, left in 1960 to become the Minnesota Twins. A National League expansion franchise, also named the Senators, played in D.C. between 1961 and 1972 before moving to Dallas-Fort Worth to become the Texas Rangers.