Alternate Interstate Highways?

Started by KeithE4Phx, October 06, 2021, 01:04:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KeithE4Phx

Is this a Wisconsin thing, or does it go on more than I thought?  The attached Google Map photo shows northbound US 151 signed as "Alternate I-41" at County TC, near Lamartine, southwest of Fond du Lac.  It's a 4-lane road, but not a freeway, so how could it be considered an "alternate freeway?"

This is a new one on me.  I've never seen this in person.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.72534,-88.5764488,3a,37.5y,62.5h,89.38t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s8pPMOtXNfQT4mSbUcstsbQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Ohio does this with I-70 (US 40 near Dayton-Springfield)
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Bruce

There's a sign for "ALT I-5" on Denny Way in Seattle, which is meant to show an alternate path to reach I-5 rather than an alternate for I-5.

https://goo.gl/maps/VrWT2rRMLP2UjoFm7

FrCorySticha

Wisconsin has marked alternate routes for all its Interstate highways along parallel highways, and I wish more states would follow their lead. If part or all of an Interstate ever has to be shut down due to serious accident, weather, damage to the road, etc., it allows for easily redirecting traffic around the closure. Also, it gives another option for traffic that might not fit on the Interstate due to oversize, especially over-height freight.

hotdogPi

Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

wanderer2575

Western Michigan has alternate routes posted for portions of freeways -- not just Interstates but also for the US-31, US-131, and M-6 freeways.  A lot of these are along former route alignments that predated the freeways.  Instead of an ALT or ALTERNATE banner, Michigan uses a black-on-orange EMERGENCY banner.  I don't know why it isn't done throughout the rest of the state.

Example:  https://goo.gl/maps/FUdHMLYSzoxQMMnt9

OCGuy81

Wisconsin is the one state where I've seen it used very widely.

I don't believe I've ever seen any Alternate being signed in Oregon or California.

GaryV

Quote from: wanderer2575 on October 06, 2021, 09:24:56 AM
Western Michigan has alternate routes posted for portions of freeways -- not just Interstates but also for the US-31, US-131, and M-6 freeways.  A lot of these are along former route alignments that predated the freeways.  Instead of an ALT or ALTERNATE banner, Michigan uses a black-on-orange EMERGENCY banner.  I don't know why it isn't done throughout the rest of the state.

Example:  https://goo.gl/maps/FUdHMLYSzoxQMMnt9

There are Emergency I-75 signs along surface streets in Oakland Co.

Dirt Roads

There are Alternate I-40 banners along I-87, US-264 and I-95 to get around the long-term I-40 widened projects between the Raleigh Beltline and [now south of] McGees Crossroads.  When they were first installed, you could follow them all the way.  They've been up so long now that I doubt that you could find your way using signs alone.

Did I actually say I-87?   :pan:

jp the roadgeek

There are a few ALT I-84 and ALT I-91 LGS's in CT along I-691 and CT 9
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

hbelkins

There are a bunch of old alternate signs for I-71 and I-75 in Cincinnati.

There are also a few remnant alternate signs for I-75 along US 25E in Tennessee, dating back from the I-75 was closed between Knoxville and the state line for a major break in pavement.

Most of the referenced alternate signs are really for emergency incident management, with some even being signed (as noted) with "EMERGENCY" banners.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

HighwayStar

I am a big fan of this approach. Along with the usual advantages of keeping US highways separate from the interstate system, they can post them like this as "emergency" routes for the interstates.
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

TheHighwayMan3561

Minnesota started implementing the system, but never finished. I-35 south of the metro and I-94 northwest of it have signed alternates, but never seen them on I-90 or I-35 north of the Twin Cities. In addition, some of Wisconsin's system is posted in the far eastern parts of the state.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

hbelkins

I'm sure a lot of this has been discussed in the past -- Pennsylvania's color-coded detours, Missouri's "Incident Bypass Route" signage, etc.

Kentucky was looking to sign something in the western part of the state. There's a lot of work being done on I-24, and a lot of truck wrecks in the work zone that caused issues. I found a bunch of examples from Street View (many from Wisconsin and Michigan) to send to my colleague in Paducah for examples.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

HighwayStar

Quote from: hbelkins on October 06, 2021, 03:33:58 PM
I'm sure a lot of this has been discussed in the past -- Pennsylvania's color-coded detours, Missouri's "Incident Bypass Route" signage, etc.

Kentucky was looking to sign something in the western part of the state. There's a lot of work being done on I-24, and a lot of truck wrecks in the work zone that caused issues. I found a bunch of examples from Street View (many from Wisconsin and Michigan) to send to my colleague in Paducah for examples.

This should be a national standard, each state having a different signage is confusing.
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

US 89

The only place I've ever seen this myself is in Kansas City, where I-670 was signed as Alternate I-70. Although looking at street view, this may not be the case anymore?

LM117

Quote from: Dirt Roads on October 06, 2021, 10:33:12 AM
There are Alternate I-40 banners along I-87, US-264 and I-95 to get around the long-term I-40 widened projects between the Raleigh Beltline and [now south of] McGees Crossroads.  When they were first installed, you could follow them all the way.  They've been up so long now that I doubt that you could find your way using signs alone.

Did I actually say I-87?   :pan:

You can also find an  "ALT ROUTE" I-40 sign at the end of the off-ramp from I-40 West to US-117 at the interchange between Warsaw and Magnolia (Exit 369). That one's been there long before the Raleigh projects started.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

mukade

GaryA

Los Angeles has a short ALT I-5/I-10/CA 60:  https://goo.gl/maps/MbVe8Cp4WZpCePkR8

Mostly it's an alternate for drivers that don't have room to merge over for the left exit to I-10; it also tells drivers in the Mission Rd exit-only lane that they can re-enter either freeway (I-10 or US 101 to I-5/CA 60).  It's just taking the exit and continue straight across the intersection onto the on-ramp (which splits for the two freeways).

Also near downtown LA, I-710 North is marked as "ALT TRUCK ROUTE" since the ramp from I-710 to I-5 North is a left exit and entry (and that part of I-5 can get very congested approaching the East LA Interchange). A later sign clarifies that trucks headed for I-5 North should follow I-710 to I-10 West to I-5 North; trucks headed for US 101 North should take CA-60 West to US 101 North.

CardInLex

Quote from: HighwayStar on October 06, 2021, 03:38:23 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on October 06, 2021, 03:33:58 PM

This should be a national standard, each state having a different signage is confusing.

The proposed new MUTCD standardizes the use of emergency route signing. A new plaque is introduced that says "EMERGENCY ROUTE TO."  Also allows the use of letters to designate routings (I.e. "EMERGENCY ROUTE A." )

vdeane

Quote from: GaryA on October 07, 2021, 06:44:06 PM
Los Angeles has a short ALT I-5/I-10/CA 60:  https://goo.gl/maps/MbVe8Cp4WZpCePkR8

Mostly it's an alternate for drivers that don't have room to merge over for the left exit to I-10; it also tells drivers in the Mission Rd exit-only lane that they can re-enter either freeway (I-10 or US 101 to I-5/CA 60).  It's just taking the exit and continue straight across the intersection onto the on-ramp (which splits for the two freeways).

Also near downtown LA, I-710 North is marked as "ALT TRUCK ROUTE" since the ramp from I-710 to I-5 North is a left exit and entry (and that part of I-5 can get very congested approaching the East LA Interchange). A later sign clarifies that trucks headed for I-5 North should follow I-710 to I-10 West to I-5 North; trucks headed for US 101 North should take CA-60 West to US 101 North.
Alternate Truck routes?  Is CalTrans learning from PennDOT?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Ned Weasel

Quote from: US 89 on October 06, 2021, 03:48:39 PM
The only place I've ever seen this myself is in Kansas City, where I-670 was signed as Alternate I-70. Although looking at street view, this may not be the case anymore?

MODOT did that, but KDOT never did.  I didn't know the Alt I-70 signs were removed, so I guess I haven't driven that way in a while.

Maybe someone thought eight shields on this sign were enough: https://goo.gl/maps/P2XFe3oXM7jVASyD9
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

achilles765

I do remember that in Louisiana, US 190 from west of Baton Rouge to about US 61 had signs that directed motorists that it was "Incident alternate route interstate 10."  
I love freeways and roads in any state but Texas will always be first in my heart

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: achilles765 on October 09, 2021, 12:17:30 AM
I do remember that in Louisiana, US 190 from west of Baton Rouge to about US 61 had signs that directed motorists that it was "Incident alternate route interstate 10."  
Those signs went from I-110 to at least LA 415, if not all the way to I-49.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

jbnv

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on October 11, 2021, 01:36:03 AM
Quote from: achilles765 on October 09, 2021, 12:17:30 AM
Those signs went from I-110 to at least LA 415, if not all the way to I-49.

There are signs for "Incident alternate route interstate 10"  on I-49 as well.

Speaking of Louisiana, there are also these things posted along US 190 between Baton Rouge and Hammond. They're mounted on rotating polls so they can be "hidden" when not in use. Frankly I think it's a waste of money since I never see them turned to face traffic. DOTD should just sign all of US 190 between BR and Hammond as "EMERGENCY I-12" (or even Business I-12) and be done.

🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.