News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

2021 meets

Started by A.J. Bertin, October 01, 2020, 09:11:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: Alps on May 07, 2021, 05:38:58 PM
Quote from: A.J. Bertin on May 07, 2021, 06:27:15 AM
The list at the top of this thread has been updated to reflect the latest updates to the road-meet schedule for 2021.  If anyone has any updates to share regarding any meets they are planning to host, or thinking of hosting, please chime in with whatever updates you have.  Thanks!
Please don't delete my meet. It started as an April Fools joke but I am making sure it's actually held. That is the true fooling.

My apologies... I wasn't aware that this meet is actually coming to fruition.  Cool!
-A.J. from Michigan

vdeane

I don't want to put pressure on anyone, but at work they're getting worried about the possibility of a flood of people taking lots of vacation in the fall, so they're trying to get people to put in their vacation requests as early as possible (I literally just sent an email detailing all my plans for anything more major than local appointments from now through the end of March 2022).  As such, if we could have a date for the Cumberland meet sooner rather than later, it would be appreciated.  Wilmington and West Irondequoit are already on my calendar.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kevinb1994

Quote from: vdeane on June 07, 2021, 12:38:32 PM
I don't want to put pressure on anyone, but at work they're getting worried about the possibility of a flood of people taking lots of vacation in the fall, so they're trying to get people to put in their vacation requests as early as possible (I literally just sent an email detailing all my plans for anything more major than local appointments from now through the end of March 2022).  As such, if we could have a date for the Cumberland meet sooner rather than later, it would be appreciated.  Wilmington and West Irondequoit are already on my calendar.
Seconded, I may have to back out of the planned Cumberland meet and perhaps opt for Gene's planned San Antonio meet (I haven't really heard if he is going forward with the meet or not-can someone please provide an update?) if a date hasn't been picked by the time summer is already in full swing and Labor Day is getting near. I also have in mind the planned NW Chicagoland meet, which would make it three and-a-half years since I was last in Illinois.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: kevinb1994 on June 07, 2021, 04:37:36 PM
Seconded, I may have to back out of the planned Cumberland meet and perhaps opt for Gene's planned San Antonio meet (I haven't really heard if he is going forward with the meet or not-can someone please provide an update?) if a date hasn't been picked by the time summer is already in full swing and Labor Day is getting near.

My understanding from Gene is that he's still planning on hosting San Antonio on October 2.  I was planning on attending San Antonio, but something in my personal life came up unexpectedly that weekend which means I will no longer be able to attend that one.  Kind of a bummer for me, but the fact that I can't make it to San Antonio greatly increases the odds that I'll be able to attend Cumberland.  I'm also eagerly awaiting an announcement on the date of the Cumberland meet.
-A.J. from Michigan

US71

I'm in for Davenport. Everything else is contingent on money and time.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

kevinb1994

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on June 07, 2021, 05:31:51 PM
Quote from: kevinb1994 on June 07, 2021, 04:37:36 PM
Seconded, I may have to back out of the planned Cumberland meet and perhaps opt for Gene's planned San Antonio meet (I haven't really heard if he is going forward with the meet or not-can someone please provide an update?) if a date hasn't been picked by the time summer is already in full swing and Labor Day is getting near.

My understanding from Gene is that he's still planning on hosting San Antonio on October 2.  I was planning on attending San Antonio, but something in my personal life came up unexpectedly that weekend which means I will no longer be able to attend that one.  Kind of a bummer for me, but the fact that I can't make it to San Antonio greatly increases the odds that I'll be able to attend Cumberland.  I'm also eagerly awaiting an announcement on the date of the Cumberland meet.
Good, thanks for the update! I'm sorry to hear that, but at least you still have a chance to attend a meet.

kevinb1994

Quote from: US71 on June 07, 2021, 05:48:41 PM
I'm in for Davenport. Everything else is contingent on money and time.
Pretty much the same on our end here, as the window has closed on us attending meets until later in the year. I won't be at Davenport next weekend, BTW

Laura

Saturday, October 9th (Columbus Day Weekend) is my strong preference. I know this is only a week after San Antonio and is on the border of being the beginning of peak leaf season in Western MD...but I have that Monday off, which logistically makes hosting this meet significantly easier for me.

I plan to create the official meet thread later this evening.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: Laura on June 08, 2021, 08:51:44 AM
Saturday, October 9th (Columbus Day Weekend) is my strong preference. I know this is only a week after San Antonio and is on the border of being the beginning of peak leaf season in Western MD...but I have that Monday off, which logistically makes hosting this meet significantly easier for me.

Awesome!  If you go with October 9, there's a decent chance I'll be able to be there.  :)
-A.J. from Michigan

vdeane

October 9 sounds great.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kevinb1994

It'll be two days before my birthday, but I'm going to unfortunately decline in part due to some rural driving that I'm not quite up to driving yet. Cumberland isn't really easy to approach from the southeast (nor is it easy to approach from the northwest!), and no, I'm not gonna waste time trying to take Amtrak's Capitol Limited and Silver Service (having to change trains in DC isn't something I appreciate-nor do I want to head across town and take Amtrak up to DC's Union Station). Flying won't work, as the DC and Pittsburgh airports are all 2 or so hours from the meet. And while I have used Metrorail in the past (even transferring between Metrorail lines, which isn't a big deal), I still won't deal with having to transfer between that and the Capitol Limited at DC's Union Station (despite having used the Red Line).

A.J. Bertin

I figured I'd take a moment to refresh this thread and update the list of 2021 meets to reflect my current understanding.  One thing I did was cross off the Plattsburgh/Clinton County NY meet for this year with the understanding that the host is postponing it.

I haven't heard anything new about either the Oneonta NY or Jackson MI meets, but I figured I'd keep them on the 2021 list for now.  For the hosts of those tentative meets, do either of you by chance have any further updates on when or if you still think you might host those meets this year?
-A.J. from Michigan

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on July 27, 2021, 10:03:16 AM
I figured I'd take a moment to refresh this thread and update the list of 2021 meets to reflect my current understanding.  One thing I did was cross off the Plattsburgh/Clinton County NY meet for this year with the understanding that the host is postponing it.

I haven't heard anything new about either the Oneonta NY or Jackson MI meets, but I figured I'd keep them on the 2021 list for now.  For the hosts of those tentative meets, do either of you by chance have any further updates on when or if you still think you might host those meets this year?
You're going to have to track down Brian/Rawmustard concerning Jackson, Mi.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on July 27, 2021, 09:45:17 PM
Quote from: A.J. Bertin on July 27, 2021, 10:03:16 AM

You're going to have to track down Brian/Rawmustard concerning Jackson, Mi.

I know that.  I specifically posted this comment here regarding both of the meets that are still in question because this is the forum where the running list of meets for the year is posted.  This is also the forum where Brian announced that he's thinking of hosting this meet.  If Brian wants to chime in here, he can.  If he doesn't, he won't; no big deal.  No harm in asking the question on the same forum where Brian announced his idea.  :colorful:
-A.J. from Michigan

Dougtone

Haven't given Oneonta much thought lately for 2021. I'll likely move it to a future year.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: Dougtone on July 28, 2021, 05:37:24 AM
Haven't given Oneonta much thought lately for 2021. I'll likely move it to a future year.

Thanks for chiming in, Doug!  I went ahead and crossed Oneonta off the list for 2021 with this in mind.  If anything changes, I can easily add it back to the list.
-A.J. from Michigan

A.J. Bertin

Out of curiosity, is there any update on whether the Cumberland meet might still be happening on October 9?  I know the Delta variant of COVID is unfortunately taking hold and making this pandemic worse, and perhaps that will be a factor in whether this meet will move forward.  Just wondering because I'm still potentially interested and we're less than two months away from that.
-A.J. from Michigan

vdeane

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on August 18, 2021, 09:25:48 PM

Out of curiosity, is there any update on whether the Cumberland meet might still be happening on October 9?  I know the Delta variant of COVID is unfortunately taking hold and making this pandemic worse, and perhaps that will be a factor in whether this meet will move forward.  Just wondering because I'm still potentially interested and we're less than two months away from that.
I'm also curious regarding Cumberland.  I know that as of the Wilmington meet the plans were pretty much set, though since then Delta has been in the news a lot, and we have yet to get a meet thread or Facebook page.

West Irondequoit would also appear to be up in the air, but at least for that one I don't need to worry about booking hotels.

Breadman17

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on October 01, 2020, 09:11:42 PM
Am I forgetting any meets that have been mentioned as possibilities?
Not that you're forgetting something I'm just using this as a suggestion... What about PA-576 in Pittsburgh? The new section is going to be opening this October and I just thought I might put it out there because it could be cool to see it as it will be newly opened.
ASU or bust!!!

74/171FAN

Quote from: Breadman17 on August 30, 2021, 01:08:41 PM
Not that you're forgetting something I'm just using this as a suggestion... What about PA-576 in Pittsburgh? The new section is going to be opening this October and I just thought I might put it out there because it could be cool to see it as it will be newly opened.

I believe that the Pittsburgh Meet in 2019 covered the corridor if I remember correctly.  The only other thing that I know of worth covering in that area (I-70/I-79 Widening) has been completed for a while.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: Breadman17 on August 30, 2021, 01:08:41 PM

Anyone is free to host a road meet wherever they want that will feature whatever they want.  If you organize/announce it, some folks might express interest in attending.  There's only 4 months left in 2021, though.  Just something to keep in mind.
-A.J. from Michigan

US71

Nothing "official", but if anyone is interested in a "mini meet" for the I-49 AR/MO Ribbon Cutting on September 30, let me know. My work schedule may keep me off the road after this, but I plan to be there.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

rawmustard

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on July 27, 2021, 10:02:55 PM
I know that.  I specifically posted this comment here regarding both of the meets that are still in question because this is the forum where the running list of meets for the year is posted.  This is also the forum where Brian announced that he's thinking of hosting this meet.  If Brian wants to chime in here, he can.  If he doesn't, he won't; no big deal.  No harm in asking the question on the same forum where Brian announced his idea.  :colorful:

I should probably note there have been some family matters which have come up within the year, so setting up a meet has been the furthest thing on my mind right now. I don't foresee myself getting something in place for 2021, but as A.J. mentions upthread, anyone else who would want to set something up in Jackson for this year is more than welcome to do so. Otherwise, I would likely not organize something until 2022.

SSOWorld

Quote from: US71 on August 31, 2021, 11:42:20 AM
Nothing "official", but if anyone is interested in a "mini meet" for the I-49 AR/MO Ribbon Cutting on September 30, let me know. My work schedule may keep me off the road after this, but I plan to be there.
So that's an opportunity to fill the gap after the cutting I presume ;)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Laura

With Delta and a lot going on with me personally, I'm postponing the Cumberland/Western MD meet to 2022.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.